Orange Module running MULTI protocol

Choosing an RF Module? What modules work? What is compatible with the 9x?
BlueSkyLark

Re: Orange Module running MULTI protocol

Post by BlueSkyLark »

Hi Mike,

Last December I ordered one of the orangeRX telemetry modules for the 9xr pro. It's the one that uses the internal antenna. It arrived today, nearly a year later, having been on backorder all that time. I'd hoped that in that time they might have sorted the issues, but I found that it wouldn't bind with most of my receivers. The board looks identical to your 'green' board, and has r1 and r13 fitted, so I decided to flash it with the multi-protocol software.

I upgraded my transmitter to the latest r220 V1760-Mike and downloaded the module firmware from this thread. When I try to flash it I get FAILED almost immediately every time I try. I tried swapping the clk and data in case I made a mistake, and then I can see the progress bar for a fraction of a second before I get failed. I've also checked that I've got 3.3v on the board.
It ought to work, but it doesn't. I'm at a bit of a loss. I thought of trying the ersky9xr_romxmerase version in case it was something to do with the fuses, but it doesn't seem to be available any more.

Thanks,
Nigel.

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

When you try to flash, what numers do you see across the bottom of the display?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
BlueSkyLark

Post by BlueSkyLark »

Hi Mike,
Thanks for responding. I don't remember seeing any numbers on the bottom of the display. It just went straight to failed, but I have now managed to resolve my problems using the stock firmware, although it is a bit bizarre.

If I create a new model and set up the protocol to dsm/9xr-dsm it will fail to bind on all but one of my receivers. If I then go into telemetry and check 'invert com1' on it will then bind on all my receivers, including a BNF. Strangely, once I have done this I can uncheck 'invert com1' off again and it will still bind. Once it has been set the first time the receiver will bind no matter what I set it to. It also doesn't matter if I set the telemetry protocol to dsmx or not.

I know this doesn't make any sense, but I have repeated the process several times and setting invert com 1 solves the binding problem. Now the module is working with stock firmware I am not inclined to flash the multiprotocol firmware right now, but I wonder if checking 'invert com 1' would also have cured my problem flashing.

Sorry, I know this has strayed a little off topic. Thanks for your time, and all the amazing work you do. I'm pleased to see the frsky failsafe feature.

Thanks again,

Nigel.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Leave "invert com1" on. The module is a telemetry module and sends telemetry data.
To explain what you are seeing, during binding the receiver sends information to the module to set what parameters to use for the bind (e.g. DSM2/DSMX 11/22mS frame rate etc.). If you don't have com1 1 set, then this information is not passed to ersky9x, so it doesn't use the correct values. Once the model slot has been bound, these values are stored as part of the model, so will be used next time you try to bind that model.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
plastinaf

Post by plastinaf »

Hi mike, sorry for my poor english.
Thank you for your good job.
I modified my DIYorange module.
I have flashed the MultiOrangeBlue firmware with AVR isp MkII and AVRstudio.
The result is good everything works well, But on my Taranis +, i do not see telemetry when I bind a R820x V2 receiver Telemetry capable.
How to get telemetry ?

here some pictures :
20161223_151458.jpg
20161223_151609.jpg
20161224_125456.jpg
20161224_125524.jpg

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I can't remember whether I built the binary with inverted telemetry or not. When using ersky9x on the radio, you can receive either polarity but I believe openTx only works with inverted telemetry.
Did you use the binary I've posted, or did you compile it yourself?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
plastinaf

Post by plastinaf »

Hi mike
i have compiled mine with the 1.1.6 source code to Uncomment the blue module in MultiOrange.cpp.orangetx
// For BLUE module use:
#define DSM_BLUE

And yes i have inverted telemetry in _Config.h

/**************************/
/*** TELEMETRY SETTINGS ***/
/**************************/
//In this section you can configure the telemetry.

//If you do not plan using the telemetry comment this global setting using "//" and skip to the next section.
#define TELEMETRY

//Uncomment to invert the polarity of the telemetry serial signal.
//For ER9X and ERSKY9X it must be commented. For OpenTX it must be uncommented.
#define INVERT_TELEMETRY

//Uncomment to send also Multi status and wrap other telemetry to allow TX to autodetect the format
//Only for newest OpenTX version
#define MULTI_TELEMETRY

//Comment a line to disable a protocol telemetry
#define DSM_TELEMETRY // Forward received telemetry packet directly to TX to be decoded

in the last modification ported a day ago on: https://github.com/pascallanger/DIY-Mul ... -TX-Module
Multi Telemetry: fixed DSM
it is no possible to compile because convert.ino is missed
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I see you do have a Module Status of V1.1.1030. This suggests the serial data is being sent and received OK.
I assume you have done a "discover sensors" on openTx 2.2.
When you bind the receiver does the Tx auto-detect the format (DSM2/DSMX, 22/11mS etc.)?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
plastinaf

Post by plastinaf »

Hi Mike, mary christmas.
Yes i have done a "discover sensors" on openTx 2.1.9 but nothing is detect.
And yes i have choose auto-detect the format in combo box see photo.
When binding in progress, beside the Module Status V1.1.1030 bind appear
and disapear when the led is solid on the receiver.
I don't know why telemetry not detected
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Looks like something with openTx (which I don't use). Try asking here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... -TX-Module.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
plastinaf

Post by plastinaf »

Ok mike i found where is wrong.
Is in _Config.h !
It is missing 1 after #define INVERT_TELEMETRY
//Uncomment to invert the polarity of the telemetry serial signal.
//For ER9X and ERSKY9X it must be commented. For OpenTX it must be uncommented.
#define INVERT_TELEMETRY 1
Now all done very well
20161225_114027.jpg
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Odd, it shouldn't need the 1 since the test is a #ifdef and it is defined, even if it is defined as nothing.

Still, as long as it is working!

Please do a range test. The difference between the blue and green versions is related to the switching of the receive amplifier and the transmit power amplifier, the control signals are swapped!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
TheGlutton

Post by TheGlutton »

Hello Mike!

I was very disappointed when I realized the OrangeRX Module I received would not bind to my BNF Blade Inductrix, and your firmware and this thread has given me renewed hope!

I read the PDF and all the posts so far in this thread, followed all instructions and I cannot seem to get the firmware to flash successfully.

I am running ER9xProvR221a4 on my 9xr Pro, and have tried all three of the MultiOrange firmwares with no success. I have a green board with integrated antenna for the 9xr Pro, there are resistors on R1 and R13, I wired Clk and Data on the prog terminals, and Gnd and Power to the inputs on the 5-pin JR port.

The flash fails almost instantly, and in order to see the error code I had to use a high speed camera to record the screen of my transmitter while attempting to flash.

1E95 4201 00FF FEFF 00FF

I have gotten a few other errors, but this is the latest when trying to flash the Multiprotocol v1.1.5.

Any guidance you can provide would be immensely appreciated.

-TheGlutton
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Give me a bit of time and I'll see if I can sort something.

Mike.
Edit: I've reproduced your problem and I'm testing a fix.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've posted ersky9xProvR221a5.zip, that should fix your PDI flashing problem (and keep displaying the data on the bottom line).

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Thanks Mike.. :)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
TheGlutton

Post by TheGlutton »

MIke, you are amazing!

Worked on the first try, and now I am flying my blade inductrix on my Turnigy 9XR PRO with the OrangeRX 9XR PRO DSM2/DSMX module!!! :D :D The Flashing progress screen did show the code the entire time also.

The protocol setup options are a little different than in the PDF, the latency rates only go from 7ms to 11ms, here are the setting I am using with my stock RTF Blade Inductrix (I got them working by trial and error and don't know what a lot of them mean):

er9xProvR221a5.bin

Protocol: DSM
Type: DSMX-22
Autobind: N
Option: 0
Power: High
Rate: 11mS
1st Chan: 1

The channel order is not standard Spektrum for some reason I had to set my mixer like this:

CH1: -100 Ail
CH2: 100 Ele
CH3: 100 Thr
CH4: -100 Rud
CH5:
CH6: 100 CH4 ID-

I cant seem to understand the CH6 setup for changing from Acro to Horizon flight modes, it almost seems like the Source changes with each new LiPo...

I will update this if I find better settings than these, and suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you agaon!

-TheGlutton
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

If you step through the Type options, the last one should be "AUTO". If you select this, then bind, this and other settings should be set from the bind response data.
The option entry should be 4, 5 or 6, for 4, 5 or 6 channels.
The Rate entry is for the rate at which data is sent to the module from the radio and has nothin to do with the 11/22mS of the DSM protocol, 7mS is best here.
Because the module firmware is actually for the 4-in-1 module, it uses a standard channel order (AETR), and converts these to the required order for the specific protocol in use (TAER in your case).
Try setting CH6 to +100% sIDx. You don't want CH4 as the source.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
TheGlutton

Post by TheGlutton »

Thanks for the suggestions and explanation Mike!

Can't seem to get a bind in AUTO :(

Changed Option to 6 ch, there seems to be no real change here, but I am happy to set things 'right' there.

Rate is now set to 7ms.

I cannot seem to find a source other than CH1, CH2, or CH4 that will actually change the mode when I flip my 3-way switch :( I went through every source in the menu flipping the switch, and the only three that work are the CH1, CH2, and CH4. What I have been doing is changing it to CH4, flipping it into acro, and then changing the source to something else to get it to stay that way.

The CH6 issue is really odd to me, even before I flashed the module I could get it to bind, and the one thing that did work then was changing flight modes, even if I couldn't get any other channel to respond...

-Riley
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Mike, please check the multi forum on RCG. I believe there is a problem while using AUTO with certain receivers.. I tried on the R615x I had here and it didn't bind. Had to change the setting to DSMX-22. Others had the same problem.. I sent the rx to Pascal as I don't use it anyway, so he can try to fix this..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Can you find a specification of what the inductrix wants to see on ch 6?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

TheGlutton wrote:Can't seem to get a bind in AUTO :(
Go to the Telemetry menu and set the telemetry type to "DSMx". This is needed to detect the bind response.
You may need to also tick the "Invert COM 1" option.

João: I just tested my R615x and the bind using AUTO worked fine (with the above settings!).

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
TheGlutton

Post by TheGlutton »

Tried the Telemetry setting changes suggested, still no bind in AUTO mode. Did some more googling and apparently i need to chose Option 2 instead of 6ch in the protocol settings, did that and it worked (I am still suing the suggested telemetry settings). :)

As far as what the model expects on channel 6, I am not sure exactly :/ Sorry I am a noob, but I do know that the Blade MLP4DSM transmitter that came in the RTF kit has 6 channels, both of the sticks can be clicked in. Clicking the right stick changes the rates- I think this is channel 5 on the FC, and clicking in the left stick changes from SAFE/Horizon Mode to Rate/Acro mode.

In this video (which demonstrates the model not working with orangeRX module...) the user set his CH6 and demostrates it is changing the flight mode (led on controller changes from blue to red for Horizon and Acro mode):

https://youtu.be/D3Eumeiwkgw?t=45s

From what I have read if you so not have anything assigned to CH5 the flight mode will sometimes change all on its own during flight. Unfortunately when it powers up the model defaults to Horizon/Balance mode and I am trying to learn Acro/Rate mode so I cant just leave it alone...

I will keep googling.

-Riley
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

In that video, I caught sight of:
CH6: +100% FULL !TRN

Try that, then operate the trainer switch.

I wonder if you have picked up an old suggestion for the option value. There was a time when the option specified all of DSM2, DSMX, 11mS, 22mS and the number of channels. More recently, it was changed so the type sets DSM2/X and 11/22mS, and option just sets the number of channels. I think you do need option set to 6ch.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

MikeB wrote:
João: I just tested my R615x and the bind using AUTO worked fine (with the above settings!).

Mike.
Hmm, didn't know that, me and a few others.. Oh well, living and learning :)

Thanks Mike

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
TheGlutton

Post by TheGlutton »

Hmm.... I did try using 6 ch as the option and it would not bind in AUTO mode, it did not bind until I changed to Option 2.

Unfortunately the trainer switch does not change the flight mode with the settings from the video. Those settings did work on the original FW but the throttle and binding did not work in the old FW.

I will do more searching on this CH6 flight mode change issue.

-Riley
TheGlutton

Post by TheGlutton »

Got CH6 sorted :)

I changed gears, instead of searching for OrangeRX info I started searching for MultiModule info, and found this:
https://github.com/pascallanger/DIY-Mul ... /Models.md

There is a pretty in-depth guide on the Blade Inductrix (as well as namy other BNF models) in there and it says that there is sortof a multiplier on the channels, and CH6 does not work right unless you turn the weight down on the channel you want to use.

I now have:

50 FULL TRN

and that is working flawlessly!

Thank you all for your help, I am SO happy that i was able to get this module working!!!! :D

-TheGlutton
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

What firmware file did you flash to the module?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Bosshawg

Orange Module running MULTI protocol

Post by Bosshawg »

Another Flashing problem :oops:
I have an Orange module like the one MikeB posted the pinouts too on the 2nd page of this thread 8 posts down.
Using an AR9X to flash module I get : 1E95 4201 FFBF FFFF 00FF after it says flashing complete.The Green LED on Module will flash initially at start up of Tx then settle down to solid green.I just cannot get a bind to a number of Orange DSM2/DSMX Rx's using any of the methods in the Pdf or this thread.
The Tx has been flashed with the latest firmware posted yesterday,the persistent display of Error No's is a great feature.
I have tryed flashing all of the Multi Orange firmwares posted.The v1.1.5 firmware has a longer filename than the AR9X can display should i rename it?
Tho i get same error codes when flashing Multi Orange2 firmware.
The module does not have R1 & R13 on it or a place for them.
Any help gratefully received.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Have you done the track cut and added the wire?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

Return to “RF MODULES”