Orange Modules

Choosing an RF Module? What modules work? What is compatible with the 9x?
JeepinJohn

Orange Modules

Post by JeepinJohn »

Hi all... I just joined and hope someone can answer a question.

I'm using a FlySky TH9X transmitter and it does everything I need. I would like to get in to flying aircraft that use the DSMX system, but didn't want to buy a Spektrum or Orange radio. I see HobbyKing lists an Orange module that is compatable with the Turnigy radio. Does anyone know if it will also work with my TH9X?

8-)

Daedalus66

Orange Modules

Post by Daedalus66 »

It depends which one you are looking at. The one you want is likely:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ible_.html

Note that the 2015 Orange modules work well with stand-alone receivers, whether from Spektrum, Orange or Lemon (my preference). However, they don't work with most integrated receiver/stabilizer units in newer BNF models such as Radian UMX, Nano QX, 180 QX, Sport Cub S, etc. They do work with older DSM2 UM models. We're hoping for a fix from HK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JeepinJohn

R e: Orange Modules

Post by JeepinJohn »

I saw that module, but didn't know if it would work with my radio. Been looking at some of the Horizon Hobby BNF "War Birds", but found they work on the DSM system. I like the radio I have and didn't want to buy a different one. Thank you sir, I will be ordering one of these. Thank you.

John
Daedalus66

Orange Modules

Post by Daedalus66 »

Which warbirds exactly?

I assume your 9x transmitter has a removable module (antenna is on module not on top of transmitter).
JeepinJohn

Re: Orange Modules

Post by JeepinJohn »

Yas, the antenna is on the module.

Daedalus66

Orange Modules

Post by Daedalus66 »

I asked because most 9x transmitters sold in the last few years have the antenna on the top of the case, connected to the module by cable. This prevents swapping modules unless modified. It's a neater arrangement if you use only the stock module but a problem if you want to change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lostcity

Post by lostcity »

I this an old thread but thought I would post an idea. My older orange module has the antenna on back in awkward position as you know. The antenna connects to the board with a removable connector. The same connector is used on the spektrum replacement antenna. I was thinking that I could replace the stock Turnigy antenna and connect it to my orange module. Any else ever try this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Which Spektrum antenna?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

And which Turnigy antenna?
Hard to follow...
Daedalus66

Orange Modules

Post by Daedalus66 »

I assumed that meant the antenna that comes as stock on the 9x transmitter and is soldered to the stock module. The idea is to remove that, along with the module and plug in an Orange module. Instead of the Orange antenna, which sticks out the back and is very vulnerable, the proposal is to attach a Spektrum antenna and locate it on top of the transmitter instead of the stock one.

Connecting to the Orange module would require an antenna with long cable and connector that screws on in place of the antenna.

The only Spektrum antenna I can think of that's anything like this is the one from the original DM9 module, discontinued about 2010 when they came out with a vastly improved case with built in antenna for the DM9. If that's the idea, it won't work because the connector is the wrong gender. The Orange antenna has a male connection inside, while Spektrum is female (I checked on actual examples).

deaconFlyer

Post by deaconFlyer »

I am flying the older version of the HK/Orange module and fly a Nano QX and Sport Cub S without a single glitch, as well as numerous other BNF modules. The antenna out the back is a pain, but so far, has not really be an issue.

I am noticing that there are numerous complaints about problems with the newer modules.

Several times others have expressed issues, but in almost every case their TX was not set up as TAER ... make the change and things started to work to spec.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

You are correct that TAER is the required channel order and some people have run into problems because they did not understand this and used a wrong order such as AETR.

But this has nothing to do with the problem with the 2015 Orange DSM modules. They simply don't work with a wide range of DSMX receivers, including those in BNF models such as Radian UMX, NanoQX, NanoCPS, Apprentice and others with SAFE technology. They do work with regular stand alone DSMX and compatible receivers from Spektrum, Orange and Lemon.

By the way, some people have found work-arounds using the switchable module, but these don't seem to be very reliable. I was unable, for example, to get a Radian UMX to respond consistently to throttle, even when the module was set to DSM2 22ms, as some suggested. The most common problems are with throttle.

As you note, the previous version of the module worked very well (except for its poor antenna setup) with all sorts of stand alone DSM2 and DSMX receivers.

aesmith

Post by aesmith »

I use the older Orange module and I fitted an Frsky receiver antenna on to it in place of the awkward sticking out original one.
----------------------------
Tony S
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Hopefully you fitted a Frsky receiver "Dipole" antenna instead of the normal RX antennas ;) :)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

aesmith

Re: RE: Re: Orange Modules

Post by aesmith »

jhsa wrote:Hopefully you fitted a Frsky receiver "Dipole" antenna instead of the normal RX antennas ;) :)

João
Those weren't available at the time, but the standard whisker Rx antenna gives enough range for my use.
----------------------------
Tony S
09gepard

Post by 09gepard »

Hi, I am new... ;)
A few days ago I purchased OrangeRX module from HK believing it will run with my TH9X (openTX) and Blade Nano CPS...
@Daedalus66: Is it correct, that I cannot trust in my believe? Is there no chance to get it to run?
My special Problems: Binding ok, all servos work fine, but no spinning of the main rotor. After some seconds all servo movements seem to be freezed, there is no reaction on the sticks, but red LED is still on. After disconnect the flight battery and switch off the TH9X I tried to rebind without success. After waiting some minutes binding works again, but no throttle... the same procedure.
Any idea?
Thanks for your help
Daedalus66

Orange Modules

Post by Daedalus66 »

That's everyone's "special problem".

Sorry to confirm the bad news, but you have exactly the problem everybody reports with the module. It binds but channel 1 doesn't work or is very erratic. This is the case with all the BNF models that use an integrated receiver/flight controller or stabilizer (AS3x). Separate receivers from Spektrum, Orange and Lemon do work.

You might ask for your money back from HK. If enough do they might get the message.

No easy/cheap solution. Possibilities include:

Find a pre2015 Orange module if you can.

Build a "hack" module from a DX4e or similar module.

Buy Spektrum DM9 module.
09gepard

Post by 09gepard »

Ah, I see. Poor...!
But thanks for your reply!
You mentioned some hopefully working alternatives... Is the module from DX4e supporting 6 channels as well?
It seems "hack" did a good job with all these guides for mods.
One further question: Do you know "anylink"? Do you think it maybe a solution for blade CP S, too?
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

The modules from a DX4e, DX5e and DX6i are all essentially the same (though early versions of DX5e and DX6i are DSM2 only). All support six channels.

For info, Google "DSM hack module". Here are a couple of results:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2241411
http://flitetest.com/articles/spektrofy-your-taranis

They refer to Taranis but work equally well in other transmitters running Er9x, ErSky9x or OpenTX.

Anylink is an unrelated module. It supports the protocol used by Tactic transmitters and will not work with Blade or other Horizon Hobby BNF models.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Information on upgrading of Orange modules to use MULTI protocol is here: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=8753.

Note that an upgraded module has been tested with some of the BNF models that don't work with the module as standard.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

To be explicit, I've tested the upgraded module, on the bench and in the air, with a NanoQX, Radian UMX and Sport Cub S (SAFE). All functioned perfectly. Transmitter is a 9XR Pro.

More testing to come, but initial indications are that range is more than ample.

I have also flown a Lemon 7-channel Stabilized Receiver with it in a medium sized foamy with no problems at all.

Return to “RF MODULES”