My Taranis Spektrum module

Choosing an RF Module? What modules work? What is compatible with the 9x?
jprikkel

Re: My Taranis Spektrum module

Post by jprikkel »

I will post the part list tomorrow and links to digikey. The case is still being optimized. I have two extra unopened spektrum cases. I think I will like the printed version better. The case stl file should be posted to thingiverse this weekend.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

jprikkel

Post by jprikkel »

Here is a general description of the circuit board and material list. Here is the full post with pictures: http://johnprikkel.blogspot.com/2014/07/jr-dsmx.html

Printed Circuit Board (PCB)

My circuit board is JR-DSMX on OSHPark. OSHPark requires a minimum order of three PCBs since they make the boards on-demand. The board uses through hole components for easier soldering. If you plan on using the module in a Turnigy 9X radio and may use the radio with a PC simulator cable, use a 1K resistor for R2. If you don't need this feature, use a short wire for R2 or a 1K resistor.

The bill of materials, estimated cost (no shipping):

Location Part Cost
IC1 LD117V33 $0.66
R1 4.7K $0.06
R2 0K or 1K $0.06
D1 1N4001 $0.45
C1 1uF $0.65
C2 10uF $0.69
JP1 Molex 538-22-14-2054 $0.65
JP2 Harwin M22-7140642 $1.70
PCB JR-DSMX $6.00

Total Cost excluding minimum orders = $10.92

JP2 isn't needed if you solder the TX module directly to the circuit board. Using JP2 in both the PCB and original radio allows you to swap the TX back and forth between the JR Module and radio. Hirose MDF7-5S-2.54DSA(55) is an alternate for JP1. However, this header doesn't work often due to most radios JR Module header pins not being long enough.

Module Case

The circuit board was designed for a Spektrum SPM6817 JR Module case which is about $9.50 and includes an antenna. Another option is to print my 3D JR Module case and use the DX4e antenna. Or print my RP-SMA JR module, get a 3.5" IPX U.FL to RP-SMA Female Antenna Cable ~$3.99, and your choice of a RP-SMA Antenna ~$4.99. Both the the printed cases need six self-tapping screws w/shoulder 2.6x4 which I ordered from Hobby King. I will try to post these JR Module CAD models in a few days. The design still has a few issues.
WZ9V

Post by WZ9V »

Thanks so much. My boards arrived today so it's perfect timing.

Any chance I could get a printed case from you?

I'd print my own but my printer is still under construction and will need tuning after that and I'm impatient.
jprikkel

Post by jprikkel »

I could mail 3d printed cases, but it may be cheaper to find a local hacker space. International shipping has been about $13.
WZ9V

Post by WZ9V »

I'd be interested in a case that would work with the FRSky cable and antenna like these, I've seen a couple on Thingiverse but without a working 3D printer I'd have to go to Shapeways and thats really expensive unless I can find someone with a printer that can help out.
http://www.alofthobbies.com/rf-coax-assembly-70mm.html
http://www.alofthobbies.com/2db-module-antenna.html

I'm in the US so postage shouldn't be too bad if you'd be willing to make one for me ;-)

jprikkel

Post by jprikkel »

OK, WZ9V I will post pictures on Friday

Nurffe

Post by Nurffe »

I'm using pcb from jprikkel and works fine. On opentx rangetest mode I got ~20 meters from the model so that should be equal to 600m or so I guess? (with dx4e rf-module) To be honest I've had dropouts with my dx6i with hundred meter off when flying low. Yesterday flew my Mini H with ar6210 + satellite few hundred meters off behind some trees and bushes. (low altitude of course, <1m) Didn't get a single dropout so that's good

Mainly wanted dsmx because of cp-helicopters especially mcpx bl :D (you know.. spektrum only). Will also be flying 450 size heli with satellite only if I get this to bind with it, dunno yet as haven't had time to configure mixes for that. Mcpx bl is already flying fine ;) Most of my multicopters will get uhf update as soon as I have time to hunt down all interferences

In my opinion this mod is good for most of models flown with line of sight. I'm not confident that I'm getting enough range for multicopter fpv flying but then again I don't have much trust towards spektrum anyways. Just happen to have few spektrum receivers :lol: Will be swapping almost all Not-LOS models to uhf receivers or to frsky receivers with telemetry
wswanepoel

Post by wswanepoel »

WZ9V wrote:I'd be interested in a case that would work with the FRSky cable and antenna like these, I've seen a couple on Thingiverse but without a working 3D printer I'd have to go to Shapeways and thats really expensive unless I can find someone with a printer that can help out.
http://www.alofthobbies.com/rf-coax-assembly-70mm.html
http://www.alofthobbies.com/2db-module-antenna.html

I'm in the US so postage shouldn't be too bad if you'd be willing to make one for me ;-)
Send me the STL files and I will print it for you. I am in Kenya but postage to the US is cheap and take about a week.
jprikkel

Post by jprikkel »

Finished the 3D Printable JR Module case for my JR-DSMX printed circuit board. The JR-DSMX board enables pulling TX modules from Spektrum radios (DX4e, DX5e, DX6i, MLP4DSM, etc) and using them with OpenTX or ER9X radios (Turnigy 9X, Turnigy 9XR, Taranis, etc).

This version requires a UFL to RP-SMA connector and an Antenna. I actually like this more than the Spektrum DSM case. Four screws to mount the PCB and one screw for the module cover. The bottom of the module has a lip that holds the cover in place. You and use a wide variety of antennas with this design. Here is a link to the design on Thingiverse: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:418883

Here is a link with pictures: http://johnprikkel.blogspot.com/2014/08 ... odule.html

Unfortunately, my 3D Printer broke so I didn't get the JR Module finished that works with DX4e and MLP4DSM antennas. Hopefully, I can get the printer fixed in the next few weeks and post more designs. (BTW: The RigidBot printer on Kickstarter is nice for ~$500. However, the hot end is a really bad design and has caused users all kinds of issues. )
WZ9V

Post by WZ9V »

Very nice. I bought some empty DJT module cases from Aloft but I like your design better. Once I get my printer going I'm definitely going to give it a try, your antenna mounting solution looks a lot nicer than FrSky's and yours does not have the unnecessary cut outs for telemetry and serial.

I've heard that R2 is causing the module not to work on the Taranis and needs to be replaced with wire. Does that sound right to you? I'm still waiting on parts from Mouser so no progress yet other than people like your design over on Helifreak and RCGroups.
jprikkel

Post by jprikkel »

I have heard that about R2 and Taranis. I updated my blogger post. Thanks for the feedback! Post a pic if you get one printed.

Philipp

Post by Philipp »

I have not heard of the R2 issue in combination with Taranis yet, and my module is working fine with R2=1k in my Taranis. What kind of problems does R2 cause usually? No connection/communication with the module, or brownouts/dropouts midair?
jprikkel

Post by jprikkel »

Someone emailed me that it didn't work. Maybe it does for some?
WZ9V

Post by WZ9V »

I just built three and they all worked just fine with the DX5e module I used and my B model Taranis with the 1K resistor in the R2 spot. Aloft Hobbies has an option for the case. They sell an empty XJT module case and with a couple of mods it seems to work fine. I had to Dremel the top 2 corners on the circuit board but other than that it fit just fine with the 70mm FrSky cable and 2db antenna they sell also. The only problem with using that case is you will need to find screws because for some reason the case does not come with the two screws needed for the backplate. I can send a picture if anyone wants it.
superslow

Post by superslow »

Hi all, I read through this thread. I would like to try this. I will order the boards off of OSH and required bits. I also have a DM8 (futaba). Anyone know if this will also work with it? I don't mind only getting 6 channels as it is my backup of backup LOL. I can only find info on making it work with later futaba TX but no info on updating to DSMX unlike the JR version of the module.

I am not EE savvy. I can only follow solder instructions :)

Thanks
jprikkel

Post by jprikkel »

Not sure. Do you have a link to the pin out on the module?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

superslow wrote:I also have a DM8 (futaba). Anyone know if this will also work with it?
What do you mean?
BustedWing

Post by BustedWing »

I just got my Taranis, and it is really amazing to have all these programming options, super happy with it. I was looking into spektrum module options, and stumbled upon this. Do I understand correctly that the model match functionality are retained by using a "hacked" module? I would be interested in buying one of these premade pcb's for the module if so. Jprikkel, are you selling these to the public? How can I get one?

Also, compliments to everyone on these great looking modules, and 3d printed cases.
jprikkel

Post by jprikkel »

Thanks!
Yes model match works. I tried the hobbyking orange jr module which doesn't have model match. That is why I started on this project.

We could do a group buy to make it cost effective. Hopefully get someone to handle the soldering and shipping. How much is one worth? Total cost needs to be around the hobbyking Jr module? Including buying a donor dx4e?
superslow

Post by superslow »

I just meant that I know this is specific for the JR type module to fit in JR type "socket". I would like the same but will fit in a futaba type "socket".

I have both JR socket type radio (taranis) as well as my trusty 8u super and 12fg. I wouldn't mind if I can update the 8u super to be able to use dsmx or even the 12 fg for that matter.

Thanks.
Kilrah wrote:
superslow wrote:I also have a DM8 (futaba). Anyone know if this will also work with it?
What do you mean?
superslow

Post by superslow »

I have the actual dm8 module it self. What would you need from it? I can take pictures if you like

Thanks for checking.

jprikkel wrote:Not sure. Do you have a link to the pin out on the module?
jprikkel

Post by jprikkel »

From what I have read the module pulled from a dm8 is a similar pin out and form factor but may not work. However, some versions may work. I would try it any way.
BustedWing

Post by BustedWing »

@jprikkel At today's pricing all the components for 1 unit, including all shipping costs would be $26.80, leaving you with 2 spare PCB's obviously not including a case, or module. Even if someone bought components for 3, and made use of all the boards due to the minimum order at OSH, that would only bring the unit price down to $12.34 shipping included, plus a module, and case are still needed. perhaps it would not be cost effective to market this to end users and compete against Orange modules. I would argue, however that this option is FAR superior to an orange rx module. The truspek module is 200mw, and includes model match to name a couple benefits, I would even put it above the dm9 module, or at least equal to (trade off because this is only a 6 channel module) I'm pretty mad at my orange rx right now because I lost all control of my brand new PK sport cub and nosed it in. The radio just stopped responding... So I need something better. see the below chart and tell me what you think.

the chart is for total cost of 3 units, for a single unit simply divide by 3 (due to the minimum order at osh)

all components needed from mouser $15.33 +4.99 shipping
PCB's $16.70 + free shipping
empty module box from Aloft hobbies
(the cheapest I've seen $2.00 ea) $6.00 +$3.00 shipping

That's a total of $46.02 for 3 units which could be cheaper for more units

Kits could be sold for $20 each, or someone could solder them for $10 more and have a plug and play "box" ready for a module pulled from any radio...

Does this sound too spendy for an end user? I guess now that i've typed all this, maybe it does. But I for 1 would stand in line to buy this kit that still needs to be soldered up for $20 shipped, and I'd happily go in with anyone else who wanted to make an order. (Unless someone has a 3d printer...that may change things as well.

I know I dont have much of a reputation on here, but im also on rcgroups as "busted_wing"
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

superslow wrote:I just meant that I know this is specific for the JR type module to fit in JR type "socket". I would like the same but will fit in a futaba type "socket".
It could be done mechanically, but it would make no sense as no Futaba radio is capable of supplying the serial data format that the module expects. So in a Futaba radio using the DM8 as is is your best option.

Just like the module on this post will only work with a Taranis, a 9XR or a reflashed 9X i.e. any radio running er9x or OpenTX, not in other radios equipped with a JR slot but running proprietary software.
superslow

Post by superslow »

@Kilrah, thank you for the explanation. I had not realise this is not just a standard ppm module replacement but a full on digital solution that is supported through software as well. I see now that none flash able tx like my futabas will not benefit from this mod. I will still do one for my taranis though.

Does anyone know of just a module change from dsm2 to dsmx but still communicate through ppm?

Thanks
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

The OrangeRX module.
mvirdee

Post by mvirdee »

Hi there

I have a Spektrum DX6i.

I was replacing the antenna on my DX6i as per instructions and managed to completely take off the tiny gold connector where the antenna plugs (snaps) into.

The part as it states is Model: X1TXN C1.

Please advise if this part is available to purchase and if so how much?
OR
Please advise if there is an alternative/universal part?

Philipp

Post by Philipp »

This is going to be a quite delicate soldering job!
To me it looks like you have not only ripped of the UFL connector itself but also the pads on the pcb (red):
QTWb7A (1).jpg
You can try to solder your antenna cable directly to the signal pad (yellow) and ground vias (green). To do this you would have to cut of the UFL connector on your antenna cable, deisolate it and solder it to the according pads.
To get a reliable grounding on the pcb you can either strip the soldermask off of the vias (green) or off of the ground plane on the other side of the pcb and solder the shielding of the antenna wire to it.

Good Luck!
twilliams

Post by twilliams »

Hey guys, I'm new around here and just ran across this awesome project. My Taranis will be here today and I can wait to dig into it. I have ordered a set of three boards and parts from mouser so I will have 2 extras if anyone is interested. Not sure how long the boards take but I suspect I will have everything by the end of next week or the beginning of the following week.

If offering these here is a violation of any policy's then please accept my apologies and I will remove the post.

Many thanks to the OP for putting this together, it seems like the cleanest solution out there to provide DSM2/DSMX to the Taranis.
BustedWing

Post by BustedWing »

Hello all, so I ended up ordering and building the jprikkel board, I must be missing some setting or something. Built it just like the blog, using a short wire in place of r2. I selected dsm2-dsmx on my taranis and tried to bind, got nothing. I'm getting 3.3 from gnd to pos on the spektrum module, and around that on the signal pin as well. Any ideas what I might want to check next?

Return to “RF MODULES”