My Taranis Spektrum module

Choosing an RF Module? What modules work? What is compatible with the 9x?
bob195558

Re: My Taranis Spektrum module

Post by bob195558 »

The 5 pins in the module bay are long and so some times I have found that I have needed to bend the 5 pins
to where they line up properly for the Transmitter Module to fit.

Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).

CKF4Y

Post by CKF4Y »

That's the point, the holes in the housing are not ligned up with Taranis header! Offset is appr. 2mm. Bending the pins is to much stress for the PCB. So I had to create my own PCB, moving the molex connector 2mm to the left as well alongating the 5 housing holes. Maybe sombody could measure the distance between the Taranis 5 pole header and the right edge on their Taranis, just to exclude my Taranis header position is not out of range. My measurement says 7mm.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

My Taranis has the pins centered in the hole in the back of the module bay and that puts them 6mm from the side. My Spektrum DM9 module fits without any trouble and the holes on it are 5mm from the side of the case. I've never had any problems with any of the modules I have had in there, including OrangeRX DSMX/DSM2 and FrSky DJT.
CKF4Y

Post by CKF4Y »

Tks Daedalus66 for measuring. Pins in my Taranis are not centered, are close to the left side of hole. Clearly a problem with the Taranis quality management.
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi CKF4Y,
I measured my Taranis module bay and the 5 pins are about 5.84mm from the right side out to the left.
The 5 pins are not centered to the case opening for these pins.
I had no trouble with the FrSky DJT transmitter module, but had to bend the 5 pins over a little for the Orange DSM2/DSMX module to fit.
I also did take the Orange module apart to see where the problem was and found I was able to fix it so both modules now fix OK with out trouble.
Center of the pin connector holes for the Orange module measure 5.56mm and the FrSky DJT transmitter module measures 6.23mm.
But from the other side of both of these transmitter modules to the center of the pin holes measure 38.49mm.

Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).

CKF4Y

Post by CKF4Y »

Hi Bob,
tks for the measures. My DSM9 module has the same measures as yours, only my Taranis plus is different. Maybe some tolerances came together. Anyway, I started my own PCB project to solve the problem. And by chance getting an orange module later I can see wether this a major problem.
jprikkel

Post by jprikkel »

So this is a Taranis quality issue? If the dm9 and other common JR modules don't fit, shouldn't people ask for a replacement transmitter? I would be rather upset myself. They aren't cheap like the 9x.
jprikkel

Post by jprikkel »

If you are interested, I also have a 3d printable case on thingiverse that has wider tolerances.
CKF4Y

Post by CKF4Y »

Tks jprikkel for yr offer, I had a look to yr 3d case, looks interesting. Unfortunately I have no 3d printer. The DM9 case is already with me so I am going to continue with it by adapting the PCB. Further steps are to check with other Taranis and JR Modules. Getting more results I will report here.
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

CKF4Y wrote:Tks jprikkel for yr offer, I had a look to yr 3d case, looks interesting. Unfortunately I have no 3d printer. The DM9 case is already with me so I am going to continue with it by adapting the PCB. Further steps are to check with other Taranis and JR Modules. Getting more results I will report here.
Some time ago I bought some parts and PCBs from jprikkel and he generously included one of his early case prototypes.
Since I happily use the DM9 case, I'd pass the printed one on to you for the cost of shipping (3-4€ via Hermes) if you're interested. I'd have to check if it fits the top-half of the DM9 case though and if the holes are actually larger than the DM9 ones, just to be sure.
Alternatively you could open up your Taranis and check whether the PCB or the 5 Pin Header itself are misaligned. You might be able to fix your problem once for all, just by loosening a screw, aligning the board properly and tightening it again ;)

Viel Erfolg,
Philipp
SystemsGuy

Post by SystemsGuy »

If anyone is needing one of John's excellent boards, let me know - I have 2 spares from my order.
cass3825

Post by cass3825 »

SystemsGuy wrote:If anyone is needing one of John's excellent boards, let me know - I have 2 spares from my order.
Yes! Did you also order enough components to populate all 3 boards?
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

SystemsGuy wrote:If anyone is needing one of John's excellent boards, let me know - I have 2 spares from my order.
Yes! Please PM me.
LutzB

Post by LutzB »

I am quite new to openrc and got my taranis plus last week. Coming from spektrum transmitter I was looking for an easy way to fly my nano qx with the taranis and found this topic.
I already got a printed case and a module from an old DX4e. Most parts for jprikkels layout are now problem, but I found no way to get the two connectors in germany.

If anyone has some spares available, please contact me. As most others I am not willing to pay 20€ for shipping from mouser.

Best Regards,
LutzB
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

Welcome to the community, Lutz!
I've got you covered, when jprikkel send me one of his PCBs some time ago, he generously included some additional headers.
IMG_20150521_212014.jpg
Send me a PM with your address, I'll stick one of each of the female ones in an envelope and send it to you. :)

Have fun with your new toy!! 8-)
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

Yesterday I flashed the most recent nightly on my taranis, to play with Mike's CPPM trainer input via the module bay connector. details

Since this worked flawlessly on first try, I decided to heat up the soldering iron and integrate an CPPM enabled R615X into my DIY DM9 DSMX module.
I'm quite satisfied with the result, a rather clean and slick looking plug and play module with integrated DSMX transmitter and receiver, therefore enabling wireless trainer operation.

Because I am powering the R615X directly of the VBAT terminal inside the module bay and I am not certain of the voltage levels on its CPPM output, I added an 1K resistor in between the CPPM output and pin 2 of the module connector. To drop the 9.9V of my LiFe battery below the max 9.6V for the R615X, I put a random diode with 0.7V voltage drop inline with VBAT.

Binding has to be done by shorting pin 2 and pin 4 of the module to ground and powering it via pin 3, which should be a temporary soulution. I might take a shot at redesigning jprikkel's PCB to accomodate the pushrod that comes with the DM9 case, this would be very elegant to put the R615X into bind mode.

Everything hooked up and bound to the little Devo7E:
[BBvideo 425,350]https://www.dropbox.com/sc/9tvrqcwjyvsm ... Tp_eWry4Ja[/BBvideo]
Attachments
finished DSM hack module inside Taranis module bay, lit by R615X's led
finished DSM hack module inside Taranis module bay, lit by R615X's led
backside of jprikkel's PCB design, modified to connect to R615X via CPPM
backside of jprikkel's PCB design, modified to connect to R615X via CPPM
finished DSM hack module with PCB by jprikkel, modified R615X connected to it
finished DSM hack module with PCB by jprikkel, modified R615X connected to it
finished DSM hack module with PCB by jprikkel, below modified R615X
finished DSM hack module with PCB by jprikkel, below modified R615X
R615X without case, headers partially removed, powered via 1S LiPo
R615X without case, headers partially removed, powered via 1S LiPo
JohnOCFII

Post by JohnOCFII »

Philipp wrote:I'm quite satisfied with the result, a rather clean and slick looking plug and play module with integrated DSMX transmitter and receiver, therefore enabling wireless trainer operation.
Very Cool!
jprikkel

Post by jprikkel »

Nice. Let me know if you need any help.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
LutzB

Post by LutzB »

Thank you all for this great topic!

After Philipp sent me the needed connectors (thank you very much for this!!!), I was able to build my Spektrum module. I used a printed case with the module file from jprikkel (great work!). The cover is made of black ABS. The case itself consists of a rest of black ABS that was in the extruder after printing the cover and white/transparent XT. As I was told the XT material would be much better for the flexible hooks. And overall I really like the black and white sandwich look. :P
2015-05-30 10.36.27.jpg
Instead of buying a special PCB I used a general with a 2.45mm raster. Connecting the socket for the DX5e module was quite tricky as the pins have a 2mm pattern. As only three pins are needed, I removed the others and it then fitted quite well on the PCB. :D The most challenging part was to fix the PCB inside the case so that the connector to the Taranis was proper aligned.
2015-05-30 10.34.57.jpg
2015-05-30 10.35.19.jpg
Thank for this great howto.

Lutz
jprikkel

Post by jprikkel »

Nice job. The case looks great too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
johnaero

Post by johnaero »

I am just lookign start this now.

after enjoying the freedom of the taranis for months now i have now the need for dsmx as soem of the helis i am getting into are BNF.

Its been few months sinc ei was last on here.

I guess the board is still a printed unit with no parts.

My questions is, is there anyone here who bought too many parts? cost electronics in ireand is sky high and all sold in bulk not small volumes.

if not ill dig around online or try find someone with some extra parts in electronics shop.

cheers

lookign forward to doing this some dark evening
johnaero

Post by johnaero »

also is the dx4 useable?

they are very cheap new so i could pick one up handy and use rest for sim if needs be
LutzB

Post by LutzB »

johnaero wrote:also is the dx4 useable?
Yes it is. I also used an old one as source for my module.
The desoldering is quite tricky! You will need good equipment for this.
johnaero

Post by johnaero »

thank you, my solderign isnt too bad. worst case ill get mate mine give hand he is handy at working on internals of transmitters.

its getting parts i have trouble with.

I regret not taking jprikkel up on his offer few montsh ago on aredy made units just add spekky module. but i was too late all were sold.

mite try few shops over few weeks see if they have parts in stock

Mouser do stock parts in europe and post to ireland, but for €4.50 worth parts that fit into a tiny envelope, they charge €20 to post.
JohnOCFII

Post by JohnOCFII »

johnaero wrote: My questions is, is there anyone here who bought too many parts? cost electronics in ireand is sky high and all sold in bulk not small volumes.
If you can wait a few days, I expect someone will pop in with an offer to ship you parts.
johnaero

Post by johnaero »

JohnOCFII wrote:
johnaero wrote: My questions is, is there anyone here who bought too many parts? cost electronics in ireand is sky high and all sold in bulk not small volumes.
If you can wait a few days, I expect someone will pop in with an offer to ship you parts.
cheers, ya no major panic, but dont want put anyone out.

I will happily buy the pre made boards, but parts the issue.

if someoen had parts and board gone to waste id pay them for their troubles
JackK

Post by JackK »

If anyone needs one I have two PCBs left over. One is almost fully populated, needing only the 12-pin header that the RF unit plugs into. Of course, you could simply solder the RF directly to the PCB.

The other PCB needs both connectors.
This is the latest rev of the PCB with an option to install an LED.

I'll take $20 with free shipping for either one, or $30 for both.
Jack

Return to “RF MODULES”