My Taranis Spektrum module

Choosing an RF Module? What modules work? What is compatible with the 9x?
Philipp

Re: My Taranis Spektrum module

Post by Philipp »

BustedWing wrote:Built it just like the blog, using a short wire in place of r2.
You might want to try using the appropiate resistor instead, however this is just a blind guess.
BustedWing wrote:I selected dsm2-dsmx on my taranis and tried to bind, got nothing.

Did you select the right mode in the second field? You want to choose [LP45], [DSM2] or [DSMX] to match your receiver.
BustedWing wrote:I'm getting 3.3 from gnd to pos on the spektrum module, and around that on the signal pin as well.
Sounds good, measuring the signal pin with a multimeter won't tell you much, though.
BustedWing wrote:Any ideas what I might want to check next?
Where did you source your RF module from? Dx4, Dx5e, DM9 module, is it DSM2 only or DSMX as well? Did it perform well in its original radio?
What kind of receivers are you using? Genuine, Fake, OrangeRX, LemonRX? DSM2, DSMX?

I went through three modules till i found one that performs well and works reliable. I first tried a DSMX capable module out of a Dx4 which i might have soldered onto a little bit too long. It works reliable on short range and in a range test but is unusable for flying, grounded one plane two times because of brownouts. I did not check its function while it was still inside the Dx4 though, therefore I can't know for sure if it had such problems before.
The second one I sourced cheap on ebay as part of a modified DM9 module I believe, this one did not work at all and drew way to much current, making my voltage regulator quite toasty. The most recent one came out of a DSMX capable Dx5 and works like a champ, same range as my stock DSM2 DX6i and no brownouts to this day.

You could post a picture of your module, just in case there is something obviously wrong.

BustedWing

Post by BustedWing »

Thanks for all your responses everyone. I will get pics up tonight. The module was bought from someone on rcgroups, he had already removed it from a dx5e dsmx, so I was told. I have a pm out to him as well to ask if the unit was tested. I also have a dx5e myself dsm2 only, I plan to pull that module and try it to see if it's any better. What setting should I be using? My taranis allows me to select dsm2 only for the first option, but I have options for the second half. So it's dsm2-dsmx, dsm2-dsm2, or dsm2-**45. I've tried all those options and still get no bind. I used 2 receivers. One at 635 in a pk visionaire. And an orange rx to see if results were any better.
BustedWing

Post by BustedWing »

What is lp45?
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

I believe LP45 is only used for the low power 3-pin RF modules used in the small controller style remotes often bundled with eflite, Parkzone or Blade models, called LP4DSM or similar. Definitely not the right mode for your DX5e module. For your receivers DSM2 should work, even if they are DSMX capable.

Since you have a working DSM2 DX5e you could try using the RF module from it in your Taranis. If you have extra 12 pin connectors available you could solder one into your DX5e, this way you would be able to swap both RF modules between the diy Taranis JR module and your DX5e, might be useful for testing.
Last edited by Philipp on Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BustedWing

Post by BustedWing »

That's an excellent idea Philipp. I'm just grateful that I got the socket for my pcb, rather than soldering the module in. I'm going to have to get another socket on order.

BustedWing

Post by BustedWing »

Okay, so I took out my old dsm2 spektrum module, and dropped it into the diy module. It seems to function exactly the same way. No change, still wont bind. Im not sure what the problem here is. Is it possible that I have a firmware issue? Im running version 2.0.8 on my taranis. I'll put up photos in a second. Philipp, do you think that r2 should actually be a resistor? I thought that it was supposed to be a short wire when used in a taranis, Maybe I'll try that tonight. Are there any known issues with the ar635 working with this module?
jprikkel

Post by jprikkel »

Another user said Taranis needed the resistor. You could try that. Check polarity on the diode and caps. They could be flipped.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
jprikkel

Post by jprikkel »

Also, some dsmx tx modules have issues binding with older receivers. There is a spektrum warranty posting about it.

BustedWing

Post by BustedWing »

Ive tried it with the resistor installed also, that didnt work either. Please forgive my poor photography, I'll have to take more during the day if I cant get this figured out by then. Any ideas guys? Im running out of things to check. I really appreciate all your help.
Attachments
IMAG0160[1].jpg
IMAG0161[1].jpg
jprikkel

Post by jprikkel »

Is the LD117V33 shorting out one of the caps? It looks like it could be touching. Or maybe that is just the photo angle. Also make sure the board is seated and connecting with all the pins on the radio.

Philipp

Post by Philipp »

I am on firmware 2.0.5, but I am not aware of any DSM related bugs in 2.0.8.
I am running out of Ideas too, assuming both modules and your taranis are good there has to be a problem with your PCB. You might want to check for bad solder joints, misoriented parts or wrong component values. I would resolder all the joints just to be sure, and use some alcohol to clean of flux residue.
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

Try an older release, maybe 2.0.5 to eliminate this as a cause of failure. See this post: viewtopic.php?f=97&t=3579&start=180#p86424
BustedWing

Post by BustedWing »

Okay, that is my adjenda for tonight. First I'll try an older firmware, and a different receiver. If that fails I'll pull all my components off, clean the board and start over verifying everything as I go.
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

I do not think ripping the components of is necessary, you might try to rework the solderjoints without pulling everything apart. If you have a multimeter you can measure your component values in circuit, just unplug the PCB from your Taranis and the RF module from your PCB.
BustedWing

Post by BustedWing »

I have a multimeter, can capacitors be tested with a multimeter? I was under the impression they could not...
KAL

Post by KAL »

Hi,

I'm not familiar with the Taranis and OpenTX, but a few minutes ago I stumbled upon this posts.

Klaus
( TH9X / 9XTreme / FrSky DHT / Spektrum / Multi / RotEnc )
( 9XR PRO / erSKY9x  / FrSky DHT / Spektrum / Multi / RotEnc / P3 as Slider )
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

KAL, that's the topic I linked to 5 posts above :D
Good on you for spotting it as well, though! :)

Some multimeters have a capacitance mode, but this is usually found on meters costing 30$ or more. You can check if one of the caps is shorted though. But since you measured stable 3.3V on the PCB the caps should be fine. I think you should try out a different firmware build first before doing any further work on the hardware!
BustedWing

Post by BustedWing »

Is it just me, or do they make it difficult to find previous firmware releases? I cant figure out where to download any older firmware.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

There's no way to download old firmware due to the way it is compiled on-demand.
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

Just download the most recent firmware. There was indeed a bug regarding DSM2 and DSMX in firmware versions above 2.0.7. This should be adressed now, thanks to Bertrand.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

With my radio (9XR Pro) I always keep an older stable version of the fw on the SD Card. If the latest version has problems, I just go back to that version, even if I'm at the field..
As the taranis now uses Mike"s bootloader, that should be also possible. You would just have to save the file companion downloads to the computer and then copy it to the radio's SD Card..
Just my 2c

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

This is what I like to do, too.
Mikes Bootloader is awesome for this! I rename each firmware file after download through companion from opentx-taranis-lua-en.bin to 2.0.11-opentx-taranis-lua-en.bin for example. I keep the firmwares directory of Companion and the FIRMWARES directory on the SD card of my Taranis synced via the Mass Storage function of the bootloader, this is the only thing a PC is required for.
This way you can not only change firmwares in the field via the bootloader as João said, but you can also change the bootloader via the SD-HC CARD menu if you need to. Backing up and restoring your EEPROM or individual planes can be done without a PC, too. Love this :D

Philipp
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

yep, that is correct.. in ersky9x we have something similar, the "Maintenance Mode", where we can also do other stuff like flashing the bootloader..
As you say backing up and restoring models is also a piece of cake.. ;)
Newest addition to our version of the bootloader is that we don't need to press the trims inwards anymore to connect the tx to the PC. Now we just plug the USB cable and turn the radio on.. the bootloader will detect the connection and connect immediately. For other operations, of course, we need to enter the bootloader using the trims.. Maybe you guys will see this feature on the taranis soon? ;)

Maybe there is not enough information on how to save the firmware files from companion to the PC and the taranis's SD Card?

This would avoid a few headaches I would say ;) :D

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

jhsa wrote: Newest addition to our version of the bootloader is that we don't need to press the trims inwards anymore to connect the tx to the PC. Now we just plug the USB cable and turn the radio on.. the bootloader will detect the connection and connect immediately. For other operations, of course, we need to enter the bootloader using the trims.. Maybe you guys will see this feature on the taranis soon?
Not possible as plugging the cable with power off enters the processor's own "hardware" bootloader.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Strange.. I thought ersky9x for Taranis had that feature :o

João

EDIT: I think you're right.. Just checked..
ersky9x_rom+9xr+x9d.zip
Test versions for Sky and 9XR-PRO and Taranis 06-Aug-2014 14:10
Fix Bootloader EXIT bug
9XR-PRO enables PXX and SPort.
Bootloader for SKY boards runs if USB already plugged (no trims necessary)
Fix voice messages being chopped.
Add initial support for HC-05 Bluetooth modules

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

I can live with having to pull the trims to enter the bootloader in exchange for an unbrickable DFU bootloader as a safetynet in case I screw something up ;)
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Both processors are unbrickable :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
BustedWing

Post by BustedWing »

I tried the latest fw last night, the one that was released yesterday, still had problems. Looks like others are reporting the same on the other thread linked previously.
BustedWing

Post by BustedWing »

I see now that everyone else's problems are fixed in the new fw, I just tried the latest and still having problems. Guess I have more work to do.
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

I was hoping your problems were related to the firmware bug everyone else was affected by. Keep it up, next step is probably to try both RF modules in your DX5e I guess.

The problem with building modules like these is the amount of variables that are responsible for its correct function. If just one part of it does not work as expected, the whole thing does not work and the users are usually not able to diagnose this further on their own. In your case there were at least two things wrong, one of them being a faulty firmware. Good luck finding the other one! :)

Didn't know that, João. Good feature by design, nice!

Return to “RF MODULES”