Orange DSM Module Photos

Choosing an RF Module? What modules work? What is compatible with the 9x?
pmullen503

Re: Orange DSM Module Photos

Post by pmullen503 »

The OrangeRX module, because it receives only the PPM signal from the TX, has no way of knowing what model memory the TX is using. I've done the Spektrum mod to my 9x. So a Spektrum factory module is recieving native DSM2 protocol from the TX and model match works.

Var

Post by Var »

Scott Page wrote:
Var wrote:Does anyone know if this module keeps a model memory? Or do I have to rebind every time I switch to a different model?
Modules don't keep the memory of the receiver, the receiver keeps the memory of the module.

Ahh..thanks..Makes much more sense.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Pmullen's post referred to model match.

So no you don't have to rebind if your receivers all work in the same mode. If they don't, you must either switch the transmission mode manually with the switch or rebind (as explained in the module's manual).

Sent via mobile
Var

Post by Var »

Kilrah wrote:Pmullen's post referred to model match.

So no you don't have to rebind if your receivers all work in the same mode. If they don't, you must either switch the transmission mode manually with the switch or rebind (as explained in the module's manual).

Sent via mobile

So if I have 2 models running on DSM2 22ms, and one running on DSMX 22ms. If I just bind to all of them in the appropriate mode one time, and every time after all I have to do is change modes with the button on the back of the module and everything will work correct?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Yep it should.

Sent via mobile

SwimSquirrel

Post by SwimSquirrel »

I just flashed my 9x to Open9x and my mSR X still isn't playing nice with my Orange module. I have the latency set to 19.5ms at 4 channels and 300u (whatever that means). I can only control two of my channels, elevator and aileron, which are being controlled by the throttle and elevator sticks respectively. I have the stick order set to the correct Spektrum order, so I can't imagine what else it could be. Has anybody else bound their mSR's successfully to their Orange DSM modules?
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

hmm. I have an MCPx and it uses more than 4 channels internally. Maybe set that back to 8 channels.

Something else to consider. Some of the models floating around here for dsm equipment were probably made for the home brew dsm module, which uses the dsm protocol of the 9x. The orange module would need a model that uses the ppm protocol of the 9x. Not sure if it is as easy as switching the protocol to get the model working.

It looks like your channel order is wrong. I see you have it set up to the Spektrum default. I'd google and verify that is actually what the orange module uses. If I recall the default 9x firmware used Futaba channel order even though it was a JR compatible TX. go figure.

Lastly I know there was a recall issue on the early production of the orange module, but you probably know more about that than I do. I currently have a home brew dsm module. I do have a orange module coming, but it is probably a month out.

good luck.
w4kac

Post by w4kac »

I don't have an msrX, but I do have an msr flying with the orangeRx module (replacement version). I simply plugged it in the 9x and set channel order to
TAER in the mixer. The only thing else I added was "sticky throttle cut". This is with Open9x and just a Smartieparts board. No other hardware mods.
Don't know if that will help with the msrX or not, but it might give you a starting point.

Ken
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

The newer orange modules have been updated and I believe different internally then the first bad ones sent out. My 2 were replaced with the newer ones for free by HK.
One really disturbing feature on these modules is the fact that the quid ID's that are normally hard coded in a real Spekturm tx module is not hard coded in the orange module? That and the fact that the ID's are changeable and not coordinated with Spektrum in any way. Instead there is a "change ID button" on the back if the module. There's also a disclaimer/warning included in the orange instruction saying" if you interfere with another Spektrum system or it interferes with you, just push the button to change the ID until its all ok".
This and the 100Mw output tells me I could shoot down or be shot down by other Spektrum systems.
Does this mean that I could shoot down a person flying no matter how many satellite RX's he's using just by turning on my system? Or worse yet, just keep hitting the change ID button at my local field?
Frsky is looking better all the time!
SM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.
SwimSquirrel

Post by SwimSquirrel »

rperkins wrote:hmm. I have an MCPx and it uses more than 4 channels internally. Maybe set that back to 8 channels.

Something else to consider. Some of the models floating around here for dsm equipment were probably made for the home brew dsm module, which uses the dsm protocol of the 9x. The orange module would need a model that uses the ppm protocol of the 9x. Not sure if it is as easy as switching the protocol to get the model working.

It looks like your channel order is wrong. I see you have it set up to the Spektrum default. I'd google and verify that is actually what the orange module uses. If I recall the default 9x firmware used Futaba channel order even though it was a JR compatible TX. go figure.

Lastly I know there was a recall issue on the early production of the orange module, but you probably know more about that than I do. I currently have a home brew dsm module. I do have a orange module coming, but it is probably a month out.

good luck.
I have the order set to TAER as has been said on the forums. I will try setting it to 8 channels though... I got my module less than a month ago but waiting for parts syndrome kept me from getting my 9x flashed until yesterday. Because of this I'm guessing my module is of the newer version. And ShowMaster, I agree that it's a bit scary what with the ID change and all, but I'm not so worried about that since I got the module just so I could keep flying my Blade helis, an mSR X and mCX (this was before I was aware of modding 9x's to take Spektrum Tx modules). My Twisted Hobbys Vector has an Orange receiver in it, only because I had a DX6i up until now that I sold for the 9x. :D I'm going to get myself a FrSky module soon so I will just convert my Vector and my WIP scratchbuilt as soon as I can, even though I usually don't go to flying fields. I'm thinking that if my module is faulty I'll try and get a refund from HK and put that towards an FrSky system and then mod in my MLP4DSM module, and if possible build a little amplifier circuit so I don't have to worry about the range. Is it true that this module is actually capable of up to 6 channels? I've been toying with the idea of grabbing an mCPX one of these days and I wouldn't want to be stranded with one channel too few. :?
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

ShowMaster wrote: This and the 100Mw output tells me I could shoot down or be shot down by other Spektrum systems.
unless the 'Other spektrum systems' are hopping channels exactly like I am, or , They are spewing across the entire ISM band, I'd need more information believe this is likely.

When you say 'quid id' what is that ? is it related to model match
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I think he's mentioning real Spektrum brand radios, and "quid" is an autocorrect from "unique"...
SwimSquirrel

Post by SwimSquirrel »

Update: I've bound my 9x with my Vector foamie with an Orange R610 and the results are the same: jittery servos, and no throttle response. At least this time the channels are being controlled by the correct inputs, which is weird because I used the same settings as I did with the mSR. No channel number change or latency adjustment made a difference. No success changing the mSR's channel count to 6 either.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Starts to sound like a defective module...
SwimSquirrel

Post by SwimSquirrel »

Kilrah wrote:Starts to sound like a defective module...
Yeah, I'm about ready to talk to HK about getting a refund...
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

SwimSquirrel wrote: I'll try and get a refund from HK and put that towards an FrSky system and then mod in my MLP4DSM module, and if possible build a little amplifier circuit so I don't have to worry about the range. Is it true that this module is actually capable of up to 6 channels? I've been toying with the idea of grabbing an mCPX one of these days and I wouldn't want to be stranded with one channel too few. :?
Yea it sounds like the FrSky is the way to go on everything except for the spektrum stuff with a 3 in 1 board like the mcpx. I used the module out of my DX4i with mcpx and it works fine. Concerning range with the smallish mcpx my eyes give out way before the tx signal strength causes an issue. I did buy a MLP4DSM off ebay as a backup module source but never needed to utilize it. I think I read that it would work with the mcpx but that was a year ago.
SwimSquirrel

Post by SwimSquirrel »

Today I basically said screw it and wired in my LP4DSM module. I still have the exact same issue. I really can't imagine what it could be now, and it's really frustrating.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

you changed your model from ppm to dsm protocol right ? lets see you've tried multiple modules and receivers. Your 9x does work with other module/receivers I hope ? What's the common element. the model. hth
SwimSquirrel

Post by SwimSquirrel »

I did switch it to DSM2 mode after putting in the LP4DSM and it bound with the mSR but had the exact same issue as before, but no littering anymore. I had tried the external module with my foamie but the same issue was present so I have not idea what the problem could be. I am still having the same issues as I was before flashing, which is very frustrating.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

2 modules, 2 radio firmwares, same issue... I'd start suspecting the model too.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

When I get very frustrated sometimes it works out if I sleep on it. Tomorrow it will become clear. You could post your model and setting here and maybe someone with the same heli could check it out or we all could at least look at the settings. I only have an mcpx. flew it in the wind today. only damaged one part, the landing skid. that is a good day :)
SwimSquirrel

Post by SwimSquirrel »

I think I will take a break and resume my headscratching tomorrow afternoon. I will post my settings etc. I'm becoming worried it might be something to do with the radio, although I don't know how that would happen. It's certainly not something I did since it has always had this problem, but it doesn't seem like something that would happen, like the chip just deciding to omit a channel and jitter like that, although the jittering seems to have stopped with the new module. :/
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Have you used your radio successfully with any model before? Have you checked on the home screen and on the ANAS page that the sticks and outputs actually respond?
SwimSquirrel

Post by SwimSquirrel »

Kilrah wrote:Have you used your radio successfully with any model before? Have you checked on the home screen and on the ANAS page that the sticks and outputs actually respond?
Yes, every stick responds and I have calibrated it several times successfully. It hasn't worked with any models before and I can't test it with a stock Turnigy module because I bought the module-less version. :(
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

SwimSquirrel wrote:[ It hasn't worked with any models before and I can't test it with a stock Turnigy module because I bought the module-less version. :(
good question to ask
That's what I get for 'hoping' it had been working.
Now we might be getting somewhere :)
Is it possible to use the 9x as a trainer to another radio. then you could verify the ppm output of the 9x ?
SwimSquirrel

Post by SwimSquirrel »

I'll try hooking it up to my computer using SmartPropoPlus to see if it's outputting correctly as I don't have another radio. Thanks for the idea!
SwimSquirrel

Post by SwimSquirrel »

The craziest thing just happened. It seems like it fixed itself overnight!! :shock: No idea how, but she works now! I guess I had two problems, first the jitteriness from the Orange module and then some unknown issue with the radio. But all is good now I guess. :D
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Yahoo. Nothing like a good nights rest :)
rob1451

Module for Half Price in EU Warehouse

Post by rob1451 »

Hello,
who needs that module?
Its great, works fine. I am so happy.

Here you can get it for the half price:
Buddy Code DSM2 DSMX Orange Module for only 18$

But be quick, offer last only 2 weeks.

Best wishes
nigelsheffield

Post by nigelsheffield »

With regards putting the frsky aerial inside the orange module, did this work out well or not, I am considering doing the same thing.

Return to “RF MODULES”