Orange DSM Module Photos

Choosing an RF Module? What modules work? What is compatible with the 9x?
Daedalus66

Orange DSM Module Photos

Post by Daedalus66 »

The pictures show the inside of the module, plus how it fits a 9x transmitter.

The awkward and vulnerable antenna setup can be seen. If the antenna is straight up it's almost touching the handle.The antenna cable uses a standard connector, so should be easy to replace if you want to mount it elsewhere (out the top?).

The antenna cable is kinked as a result of being trapped under the plastic leg from the case top. I would check this on any new module.

The module shown is from the first batch and I have a replacement on the way. This one works OK in a JR transmitter (XP9303). It jitters on channel 2 in a 9x with default settings but is OK if I set the frame-rate to 18ms and use the 6-channel setting. I haven't tested it outdoors yet (waiting for weather).

The arrangement for changing between DSM2 and DSMX (which has to be done if you switch receiver type) is a bit awkward, but I plan to use only DSM2 receivers, so it's not an issue.
Attachments
Orange DSM Module 07.jpg
Orange DSM Module 03.jpg
Orange DSM Module 01.jpg

Daedalus66

Re: Orange DSM Module - Test Flown

Post by Daedalus66 »

I have now flown with the module, using an AR400 in DSMX mode.

This being one of the first ones, subject to twitching on channel 2 if used in a 9x on normal settings, I set the model to 4-channels and 18ms.

Range check was normal (30 paces) with no glitching even when I pointed the antenna directly at the model. This is what I have experienced with all the DSM receivers I've used over the years, except for a couple of clones that gave much shorter range (and were relegated to indoor flying).

No problems in the air. All totally as it should be.
ShowMaster

Re: Orange DSM Module Photos

Post by ShowMaster »

My new replacement modules were shipped 11/28 to the USA. I'll report on them as soon as they arrive. Several of us have done the Spektrum module mod using a dx4e RF deck and at our busy field had bad glitching or loss of control? We were using stock non x spektrum DSM2 6200 Rx's. Not flying the DX4e before the mod was a mistake because i have no reference as to weather it's the location or the mod. I may set my 9x to 18ms and 4 ch and fly the original orange modules as a comparison while I wait for the new ons. I would only want to fly the x version RX at my field but HK has none yet and I'm not sure if I want to invest anymore money into DSM, any version because of past link losses. Frsky has been rock solid for almost 2 years now.
Good info however, thanks. It gives me some hope for BNF.
SM
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

I've got a replacement in the post as well. I was surprised how quickly they got them out the door.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Mine may have left china finally.
At least it's on the USPS radar.
SM

ShowMaster
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

rperkins

Post by rperkins »

that's always fun tracking stuff from hobbyking.

My last order came via Switzerland. Well at least on paper :) USPS actually brought one to my door this week. Usually they dont even try, just put the notice my slot in the clusterbox at the front of my apartment complex. Then I have to go down to the USPS office to sign for it.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I've noticed that if I order batteries it always comes with swiss post.. Maybe honk kong post doesn't carry Lipos anymore..
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
pmullen503

Post by pmullen503 »

HKPOST stopped accepting lipos some time ago because of a fire. Lipo's shipped from HK's Hong Kong warehouse now go through Swisspost - VERY SLOWLY.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

:oops: feeling guilty over hijacking thread, but yea, I did receive a few lipos with that shipment.

Am curious how this orange dsm shakes out. had read they had issues with the original version. I did one dx43 mod but could maybe spring for an orange, at some point in time. Did see their antenna arrangement wasnt any better than what I came up with.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

We'll know soon. The first batch had a problem, HK is replacing all of those units, and they've just been sent out a couple of days ago. People should start getting them in a couple of days.
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

rperkins wrote::oops: feeling guilty over hijacking thread, but yea, I did receive a few lipos with that shipment.

Am curious how this orange dsm shakes out. had read they had issues with the original version. I did one dx43 mod but could maybe spring for an orange, at some point in time. Did see their antenna arrangement wasn't any better than what I came up with.
Since the restrictions on Lipo shipments . As I understand it -- a mixed shipment proceeds like this. Everything minus the lipos are shipped to Singapore where Lipos are added to the shipment and Swiss Post will take it from there. I imagine they take it on pack animal through the alps because this part can take weeks. then to USPS> and eventually to you.

I'd started ordering all my Lipos in U.S. warehouse and that helped, but then I found haiyinstore.com and I was in heaven. I ONLY buy Haiyin packs now unless I need a size they don't stock (smaller than 500mah). There customer service is right up there with smartieparts and Alofthobbies.com.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Mixed order with (4) 160 mah lipos used for S107 replacements

Ordered nov 6th
International (Registered) Air Mail 2kg $29.79
Shipped ~ nov 10th
Processed in Switzerland nov 20th
Delivered dec 1st. Near cleveland ohio usa

Typically timeframe. I order then try to forget about it. When it finally arrives it's like christmas :)
Last edited by rperkins on Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

I just got a notice from HK that the Orange module is now in stock.
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

I like to picture the swiss people having fun with all of our RC gear. Then packing it back up and finally sending it on it's way because someone else ordered something newer.
-Gohst

This is another good US place to get batteries: http://www.valuehobby.com/
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

HHmmm, yeah I like to picture them making all the mods I want to my radio and then sending it my way.. That is a much better dream :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

gohsthb wrote:This is another good US place to get batteries: http://www.valuehobby.com/
Yepper Snapper.. that's where I get my LiFe batteries. Good place, good service. I've not had the best luck with Lipos from there -- but no problems with anything else. In fact - I just got a box from them the other day with a bunch of new LiFe flight packs and a couple more LiFe Tx packs.
G550Ted

Post by G550Ted »

What problems did you have with their LiPos, and which series were they?

Ted
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

G550Ted wrote:What problems did you have with their LiPos, and which series were they?

Ted
Which series? I don't recall. I had two sizes - both 3S. Four 4000mah and I think the other two were 2200mah -- but they are gone now. They didn't yield a C rating comparable to others with same C rating, puffed really easily under not too much draw. I ended up burning two smaller ones, had a cell quit in two of the 4000mah and use the remaining two 4000mah for utility batteries -- bench top power this or that. The only LiFe I've had problem was 100% my fault because I over discharged it.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

So what about that little button that allow the module to select another ID? Should we be worried? The info says to use it if you find you're on the same "channel" as another Spektrum? Can this also be used to mess with other fryers, something we have avoided with 2.4 so far.
SM
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

if you have to press that button it will probably be too late and you already shot someone down.. there's no way of knowing if you will interfere with someone else's equipment unless you turn it on :o

IMO it is dangerous but that's just my 2c

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

For now all it has done is spark hundreds of posts on rcgroups... there's no real way to know if there's one chance in a million or one in 10 to cause problems. It's suggested there could only be conflicts in DSMX mode, not in DSM2 mode... but again, no real way to know.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

So what about the new 6Ch orange tx?
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

Daedalus66 wrote:The awkward and vulnerable antenna setup can be seen. If the antenna is straight up it's almost touching the handle.The antenna cable uses a standard connector, so should be easy to replace if you want to mount it elsewhere (out the top?).
Hi, are you referring to the connector on the PCB? If so, is that a U.FL connector as used on some receivers? Thanks,
----------------------------
Tony S
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Yes it's u.FL.

BTW I've now also made a batch of photos I can add:
Attachments
a5385731-223-2012-12-20 16.56.02-1.jpg
a5385730-238-2012-12-20 16.44.35.jpg
a5385729-91-2012-12-20 16.43.55.jpg
a5385728-253-2012-11-19 13.33.03.jpg
a5385727-203-2012-11-19 13.32.28.jpg
Var

Post by Var »

Does anyone know if this module keeps a model memory? Or do I have to rebind every time I switch to a different model?
pmullen503

Post by pmullen503 »

Model memory does not work because the TX communicates with the module via PPM not DSM2 protocol. You should not have to rebind when you switch models.
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

Var wrote:Does anyone know if this module keeps a model memory? Or do I have to rebind every time I switch to a different model?
Modules don't keep the memory of the receiver, the receiver keeps the memory of the module.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

do last two posts contradict one another, or am I misunderstanding
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

No they don't ;)
The first one says that you must set the protocol to PPM with that module and not DSM2.

The second one says that the receiver binds to the module and not the other way round. And once bound, you don't have to rebind it again.
That is what I understand anyway..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Ok thanks. Now that I reread the first post I see where I got off track

Return to “RF MODULES”