Orange DSM Module Photos

Choosing an RF Module? What modules work? What is compatible with the 9x?
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Re: Orange DSM Module Photos

Post by Rob Thomson »

Works for me.

I don't fly anything more than micro on DSM, so never hit a range issue :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!

nigelsheffield

Post by nigelsheffield »

Thanks, I fly park foamies on it and they are usually around 1m warbirds and biplanes, so would be a bit further out the micros, maybe 300ft or so at times, but I am putting my gliders on frsky!
I am still undecided as to putting the aerial inside?
What kind of range are you getting?
nigelsheffield

Post by nigelsheffield »

Regarding the orange tx module,
I just changed the aerial to the frsky one and put it inside the module, it seemed to be OK with a range test showing the same results as with the stick aerial tested on an rx with the elev servo in place only.
Put it all neatly together and checked again on a full plane and the range check was same BUT with full power the ailerons and rudder stopped working at a certain distance, I changed back to the original aerial and this did not happen so I just put it all back as it was.

So in answer to my own question
Changing the aerial to internal frsky one is not a good idea as it obviously causes range issues
I may well be fine for micros but I would not risk it on anything bigger.
kaos

Post by kaos »

I think it is related to where you put the aerial. Foam should not block the signal that much. Keep it away from motor and ESC inside foamy should be just fine. I put my Flysky (not Frysky) on my foamy and fly out 200m without any issue. But the relation to ESC/motor/wires is more important. A friend of my also had a situation, the plane has some silver painting, and that blocks the signal at certain angle and dropped it. I think as long as the aerial is placed in a way that from any angle to look at the plane you have a direct line to the aerial should work. That is how i place my aerial on my CF heli with metal tail boom.
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

nigelsheffield wrote:With regards putting the frsky aerial inside the orange module, did this work out well or not, I am considering doing the same thing.
This will not work. The center pin is on the Aerial side with the orange module (SMA), and the the center pin is on the module side with FrSky(RSMA). It will screw together, but there will be no center lead connection.

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

He's talking of an Frsky receiver antenna, connected directly to the board instead of the module's ufl to sma pigtail.

Sent via mobile
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

Kilrah wrote:He's talking of an Frsky receiver antenna, connected directly to the board instead of the module's ufl to sma pigtail.

Sent via mobile
I suppose I should have read a little closer and noticed the word "INSIDE", :oops:
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

I disassembled my orangeRX module since I do not plan on using it, now that I have put a DX5e module in a nice DM9 case.
It did cost me a little bit more, maybe twice as much as the orangeRX module, however features like model match and the far superior antenna design of the DM9 case are well worth the extra.
This module is apparently a new revision, it has a (propably botched) switching regulator instead of a linear one. The HF daughterboard looks identical to the previous ones shown here.

I don't understand why they did not design the case for a top antenna mount like frsky did with their DJT and XJT modules. Since they are using this ridiculous orange plastic one would imagine that those cases are custom made just for their modules anyway.
Although this is not the right place for an feature/design request towards orangeRX/HobbyKing/hexTronic Ltd. I would like to gather some ideas on how to improve this very reasonably priced module.
Here are my two cents:
  • Design a new cover with a top mount antenna connector
  • Implement the serial protocol that is used for Spektrums DX5e modules as an addition to the PPM input. This would enable model match and lower latency
What do you think? The hardware is already quite good except for the placement of the antenna connector. And HobbyKing or maybe some capable people on this forum could implement the Spektrum serial protocol on the XMEGA 32 that is used in the module. Do you know of anybody who has tried/done this already? What ideas are missing from the (yet very short) list?
Personally I am very happy with my 'hacked' DM9 module and the effort needed to build it was very reasonable, however an orangeRX module with the above listed design changes could be a very tempting commercial alternative.
Since all of orangeRX's JR modules share the same case design, the openLRS variant would also benefit from a top-mount cover.
Attachments
orangerx_jr_9.jpg
orangerx_jr_8.jpg
orangerx_jr_7.jpg
orangerx_jr_6.jpg
orangerx_jr_5.jpg
orangerx_jr_4.jpg
orangerx_jr_3_hq.JPG
orangerx_jr_2.jpg
orangerx_jr_1_hq.JPG
orangerx_jr_11.jpg
Last edited by Philipp on Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The module looks exactly like one I have with the 9XR-PRO. There is a development in hand (basically working) to use a "better" protocol to the module. The 9XR-PRO (ersky9x firmware) supports this revised protocol. I don't know the timescale for HK to release such a new module. With a minor wiring addition, needed to fully use the new protocol, you also get telemetry from DSMX receivers.

I've tested the module with a Lemon receiver and model match does work.

The biggest problem is updating the firmware on the XMEGA. A standard USBASP can't be used, nor could I use my STK500 development kit. I actually got an AVRISP for the job.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

As far as I could follow this thread http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic ... 8&start=60 the new 9XR pro that is currently in development sports an internal DSMX module that is basically identical to the one pictured above, just without the case. Like the XJT module PCB in the Taranis, right? And you did write a new firmware for the XMEGA on it, supporting a new serial protocol?! This sounds great! :D The revised protocol you are talking about is different to the one used by genuine DX5e tx modules, though? I totally understand that you cannot speak for Hobbyking and that you might not want to give away too much about the new 9XR pro, but is there a chance that you share some of your work on this module with us? ;)
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

The module will not be internal, but will fit in the JR slot and use the internal antenna. It's not known if the module will come with the radio, but it probably won't and will be offered as a separate purchase.

My Orange module which came in replacement for the buggy one I bought right after launch looks like yours (has the switching reg already). So it seems only the buggy initial release had the linear reg, and there hasn't been any changes since the replacement ones.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The module is external.
I have two modules, one with a linear regulator and one with a switch mode regulator. I have added the serial telemetry connection to both and re-flashed both with the new firmware. The modules supplied with our test 9XR-PROs use the internal antenna, but an Orange case was supplied, as in the pictures above, to allow use of an external antenna.

New firmware has been written for the XMEGA, not by me. The firmware for the 9XR-PRO is, however, open source, and is already available on the ersky9x googlecode page.

I assume that these new modules will be available from HK in due course.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

Ok, thanks for some insight! :)
Is the new firmware for these modules developed by HobbyKing or by some individual that might maintain a blog or a forum thread about this?
If there is enough interest in this new (hopefully to be released at all) module among openTX users it would certainly be possible to integrate the necessary protocol into openTX as well. But since there is no such module available to the masses at the moment, this has of course no priority and would not be worth the effort yet.

As some of you guys might have some experience in working or at least communicating with the guys behind HexTronik / HobbyKing, how interested are they in ideas and feature requests from the community?
I think I'll try to convince them of the benefits of a revised orangeRX JR module case with a top mount antenna. ;) Might have to dig into SketchUp or AutoCAD to come up with some nice, shiny visuals to get the idea across and to kindle some interest. :D
If they are going to release a revised DSMX module within weeks or months of the 9XRpro release, this might be the time to kindly request some improvements...
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The firmware for the module is developed by a third party, I'm not sure if the source is available anywhere at present.

I feel sure HK will release this module, it is the only module they will have that will use the internal antenna of the 9XR(-PRO).

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

...but as such it will only be useable on the 9XR.

No idea if they plan on redesigning the "standard" module.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The rf connector on the case has a ufl connector, on a flying lead, to the board. It will fit in an orange case with the external antenna plugged on instead.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

Any updates on the OrangeRX DSMX module prototype that you can share with us, Mike? :)
I am especially interested in the new "better" protocol and telemetry. Given the amount of problems people trying to build their own Spektrum module have, and their main motivation being model match, it is time for a commercial alternative to offer this.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Not really, I need to wait for HK to announce it. It is in "QC testing" apparantly.
The protocol includes a response from the module to indicate the mode (DSM2/DMSX) etc. This is sent on pin 5 as non-inverted serial data. This is not compatible with the Taranis as that expects inverted data.
I have a bit of a problem regarding "model match". Horizon Hobby (Spektrum) have a patent on this. While it seems to me OK when using a module harvested from a Spektrum transmitter (they have received some revenue from the original Tx), this module is a direct, commercial competitor. From my point of view, this could leave me open to legal problems if I include it in my code. For this reason, I have "model match" disabled in the code, for using this module, when I release it.

If I had written permission from Horizon Hobby to use it, then no problem, but I do this as a hobby and I really don't want any bother.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

I did not think of model match being patented by Horizon Hobby. You're right, by enabling this feature for Hobbykings module you would support them in violating a patent.Horizon as the original patent holder would propably get upset about this.
I would like to see Horizon / Spektrum to sell their RF module to hobbyists, but I guess this is not going to happen.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Being that the HK Pro and Taranis can announce the model selected each time the tx is turned on, or when a designated sw is thrown, I'm not so sure Model Match is that important?

The Frsky XJT module in a Pro, or using a Taranis, gives us PXX model match and the ability to use a Dsmx module with voice warnings so it's pretty well covered.

Nice to have DSM model match to prevent wrong model control, but hearing the model selected announced should prevent accidental wrong selection for modelers.

I agree that Spektrum isn't going to easily give permission if ever. The orange and lemon products I'm sure have already cut into their product sales. I'm not sure how that's allowed but it's being done? They own model match but not the DSM/2/X protocol is puzzling to me?
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

I don't know if it is that important, I just don't want to miss it.

I am sure Hobbyking/HextronicLtd/OrangeRX is violating some patents in some aspect, but I am really not that interested in this. Spektrum / Horizon Hobby could easily kill them by offering their lowest-end parkflyer receivers at prices competitive to those knockoffs, which they could clearly do. This however would raise questions about the pricing of the higher end receivers, which are basically the same technology refined with some kind of redundancy / diversity, further range and maybe telemetry.
Just my 2 cents of course.

Spektrum is using an of the shelf RF module with some custom firmware I believe, if I am not mistaken the Cypress chips inside these modules were originally made for wireless usb applications. The X1TXN modules used in DX4e, DX5e and DX6i were available from digikey as some kind of wireless evaluation module as far as I know. I don't think they are still available though, furthermore in low quantities they did cost more than a used DX4e.
DSM2 / DSMX might depend on some integrated features or protocols in these Cypress chips, and since all the knockoff receivers are using these chips (or fakes of them) they might be allowed to use these protocols as well.

I am just speculating of course, no idea how exactly DSM2 / DSMX works and how much of it was invented by Spektrum.

Return to “RF MODULES”