Frsky DJT and D8R-II Plus Issues

Choosing an RF Module? What modules work? What is compatible with the 9x?
Grips

Frsky DJT and D8R-II Plus Issues

Post by Grips »

Hey Guys, I'm having an issue with my 9x, er9x flashed, DJT, D8R-II Plus radio setup. I've checked the dip switches and both are completely down. I had a fly away about a week ago and I'm thinking something is shot.

When I try and bind the DJT (Turn it on holding down the little white button) all I get is a flashing red and a solid green. So when I normally turn on the 9x, the DJT gives me a solid red and a flickering green. When I try and bind the D8R-II Plus (Plug in power and hold down the little tiny black button with a screw driver) the green and red lights on the d8r-II plus stay on. Even after 2-3 minutes they stay on. When I release the little tiny button the green and red lights stay on. I unplug the power to the Rx and plug it back in and the red light starts to flash slowly. After about 10 seconds the light goes solid for about 2 seconds but then continues to blink..

In addition, this morning I took apart the DJT to make sure everything looked fine, and it was. I did notice that the pins were not seating correctly before and I really must warn everyone using my setup about this. Instead of seating in the DJT, it was pushing the internal board away from its housing in the DJT and binding up.

Finally this morning, I took a 12v source and tried to bind the DJT to the D8r-II Plus out of the 9x and I got the same results as the first paragraph above. I'm still thinking that the D8r-II Plus is the culprit but I can't be sure. I wish I had a way to test the DJT to know if it was working and transmitting signal.

Any help would be awesome. Anyone know what the Green/red light is on binding the Rx?

Kilrah

Re: Frsky DJT and D8R-II Plus Issues

Post by Kilrah »

Grips wrote:When I try and bind the D8R-II Plus (Plug in power and hold down the little tiny black button with a screw driver)
You need to press the button BEFORE powering the receiver, and maintain it while you apply power.

Is the DJT beeping every couple of seconds when in binding mode, as it should?
Grips

Post by Grips »

Yep I am holding down the little button constantly and then powering the Rx. Then continuing to hold it. The DJT is beeping at a steady pace when I try and put it in the binding mode. When I first bound it, it did it really quickly. but now, it just keeps the red and green lights solid on the Rx after I power it up with the button pressed. Even when I let go of the button it stays green/red. How long should the binding take?
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

From a club member,
" with no ppm input to the DJT, DFT, or DHT modules" the RX will not bind.
I have not verified this but he says he has. If this is the case you may have lost your ppm input to your DJT module.
Have you made any mods to the ppm circuit in your 9X?
Maybe that pin in not connecting to the module or a broken contact in the DJT?
Just brainstorming?

ShowMaster
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

OK, let's start over.
Grips wrote:I've checked the dip switches and both are completely down
OK.
Grips wrote:When I try and bind the DJT (Turn it on holding down the little white button) all I get is a flashing red and a solid green.
Normal.
Grips wrote:So when I normally turn on the 9x, the DJT gives me a solid red and a flickering green.
Normal too.
Grips wrote:it just keeps the red and green lights solid on the Rx after I power it up with the button pressed.
This is not normal. When the TX is in bind mode, you press the RX button and connect power, once it's bound (almost instantaneous, <0.5sec) you should get steady green and flashing red.
Grips wrote:I unplug the power to the Rx and plug it back in and the red light starts to flash slowly.
This means it's either not bound or receiving no signal.

I'd suspect the DJT, as what you describe matches what would happen if it wasn't transmitting anything. But it could jsut as well be that the receiver's dead and never receives the signal. There's no way to be sure without either another receiver or transmitter.
ShowMaster wrote:From a club member,
" with no ppm input to the DJT, DFT, or DHT modules" the RX will not bind.
This is wrong. Frsky gear binds perfectly happily with no PPM input.

Grips

Post by Grips »

Thanks Guys. I haven't modified the PPM signal whatsoever. I'm pretty sure that, NOW, the pins are seating correctly in my DJT. I really should do up a warning about this as my unit was only pushing the board around inside the DJT and were not seating correctly.

Kilrah. Thanks for the input about it all. I've ordered another d8r-ii Plus from HK and we'll see how that goes. I am suspecting the Rx is an issue as well but I'll have to see when it arrives. Hopefully that is the culprit as I'm soon getting into the price of another radio.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

are you saying that the radio is forcing the module's board? did you buy the radio from hobbyking? the one they sell without module? If so, there's a little bit of plastic in the module bay on the tx that needs to be removed.. It prevents the module from being inserted correctly..
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Interesting about not needing a ppm signal to bind. He's building a bomber with 4 Ftsky DHT modules on a arm from his main tx. He's using only the telemetry option and FLD-02's to report onboard monitoring of so many engines and battery systems. He couldn't bind the DHT to their RXs when he askede about the fact that he didn't have any ppm input to any of them in his configuration. I told him the DHT shouldn't require any ppm input to work (never tested by me) and he reported back that he had it all working. After many failed binding attempts he connected a 1/8 in mono or stereo plug to the DHT's ppm inputs and plugged them into his trainer jack one at a time. He was then able to bind them "for the first time!) using this method. I believe after that no other PPM input is required. I have a new DHT never bound I may try to see what's true and not.
BTW, his plane has everything possible on it and so much telemetry it'll be interesting to see how many it will take to fly it.
He tried a DX16 but says this offers do many more options so he staying with the 9x and all the Frsky DHTs I understand.
So maybe for the first bind only a ppm input is required? Something to try to see if it's true.

ShowMaster
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

you could ask that question also on the rcg frsky forum..
Joao

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Grips

Post by Grips »

The radio is forcing the DJT's mainboard inside the unit. I did buy the HK 9x without the module and completely trimmed down the plastic to get the housing to seat right in the back of the radio.
Last edited by Grips on Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grips

Post by Grips »

where is the rcg frsky forum? I don't see it?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

here, sorry, should have posted the link on my post above

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1176328

Joao

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Craig

Post by Craig »

I had a simular problem with my unit. I found that the nut on the antenna connector was loose. I tightened it down, and reattacted the antenna. All is good now.

Craig
Grips

Post by Grips »

now thats interesting because I noticed mine was also loose but unfortuntely did not fix the problem. I'll have to tear down the DJT completely and test for continuity.
jimmymoto

Post by jimmymoto »

Have you figured out what the issue was? I am having the same problem with my Turnigy 9x, XJT and V8FR-II.
Any help would be appreciated.
jimmymoto

Post by jimmymoto »

Found the problem. The RX instructions were not clear and I didn't try binding it in telemetry mode with the jumper. Bound no problem after that.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Hi Everybody...
I would be very grateful if somebody could explain how to obtain telemetry from the D8R-II plus and the DJT module, and what modifications would be needed to do so, if at all.
The function of the side connectors on the D8R-II plus is a mystery, exacerbated by all the acronyms that people who knowuse.
How, and what does one connect to these pins? And what is the difference between PPM and CPPM output?
I've flashed the stock TG9X with Open 9X, which is a great improvement, and I see that there are telemetry menus built in the firmware.
The Rx has been bound to the TX without a problem and everything seems to work fine with the Naza M lite FC.
A simple explanation to all this in ordinary layman's English would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks. DP.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

To display the telemetry data on your 9x you'll either have to do some trace cutting CPU pin soldering or use a Smartiparts screw in mod setup.

Another option is to plug a Frsky display dashboard into the DJTs rear data port connector. All telemetry data sent from the Frsky "D" series receivers is available on the DJTs rear data connector, no soldering required. The dashboard does require being mounted on your tx but Frsky does make a clamp on bracket for it.

As for A1 and A2 ports on the side of the receiver. Any DC voltage, 3.3v MAX feed into these ports will be sent back to the DJT and can be displayed if the proper device or mods are made or installed at the tx end. For voltages greater than 3.3v we use a $2.95 Frsky voltage divider designed for this purpose or make our own with a few resistors.
The receiver data port can take data from the Frsky Hub and that too can be extracted and displayed at the tx end if the tx is setup for it.
The hub supports many sensors that Frsky sells.
All plug and display if the tx is modified to display it.
If you can solder well and can work on small pins and PC trace then the tx mods will cost maybe $12. If you can't it could cost you a new tx.
Your options are to use the Frsky add on display, no soldering but it hangs on your case. Buy and screw in the Smartiparts add on boards. Cut trace and add parts and wires to display telemetry on the tx screen. All this is documented in the er9x wiki and discussed in detail in many places. This is just a heads up on your options for now.

One other option is to wait for the rumored HK 9xr pro that according to posted Internet discussions, will do it all with no soldering, just a simple 4" cable to interconnect your DJT module to the tx. The pro will have voice, case vibrate, many many model memories, sd card, to name a few features according to Internet posts and is real.
All for a low price that that's hard to resist.
It can use your present tx as a buddy box.
A lot to think about. If you're wanting to do this right away the Smartiparts EZ interface for the 9x is the quickest and safest way to go.
I hope I'm correct that it's a 9x you want to mod? If it's a 9xr do a mod search and a 9xr pro search and check it out.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk, small keys and a big finger.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Thanks for that....
Very informative and just what I needed to know.
Now...I have a small quad (550). I had installed a V8FR-II on it with a Naza M lite and everything worked fine, GPS mode , RTH.
I then tried the D8R-II and found that the thing squirmed around a circular path in GPS mode and very erratically at that. Att mode fine...I don't use crash mode yet!!
Could this be interference?
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Almost certainly not. If it worked with one receiver it should work with the other. Are you sure you have the switches on the DJT set correctly for a D-mode receiver?
rcgyuk

Post by rcgyuk »

I have this module, I have found that when you release the button after switching on the radio is critical. Release the button at the right time, and you get a slowly flashing red light on the module, and it binds first time. Hold the button too long, and you get rapidly flashing red and green lights, and it will never bind.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Daedalus66 wrote:Almost certainly not. If it worked with one receiver it should work with the other. Are you sure you have the switches on the DJT set correctly for a D-mode receiver?
By the way...Sorry to come back so late.
I found out from some of the more experienced local groups that in Cape Town, the GPS needs to be offset by 27 degrees to the west of north. This stopped the toilet bowl effect completely. I guess this is due to magnetic variation....?
Now......I know this is a different thread, but...... I need someone to explain how to make the Yaw on my quad more gradual. It's a bit too quick and twitchy for good pans in movie mode. Some direction would be greatly appreciated.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

I flew my 550 quad on a wind free day in an area of Cape Town in which there were lots of electric security fences (Paradise?)
The machine is normally rock solid in GPS mode (Naza M Lite, D8R-ll, DJT module) but on this occasion the thing kept wanting to yaw in an anticlockwise direction
forcing alteration to the Yaw trim. It wasn't exactly stable positionally either.
Could this have been cause by radio frequency interference from the electric security fences?
Seems odd in view of the FrSky frequency hopping technology.......
Any ideas?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

A bit hard to diagnose with that info... Would be worth trying to connect servos instead of the Naza and see if those move. If they don't, then it's the Naza itself that's being disturbed (and it most likely is).
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

I've just flashed my D8R-ll with the XP firmware, so that I have CPPM and RRSI out put from the receiver.
Jumped CH 3&4 and connected CH 1 to the X2 input on the Naza M Lite.
Interesting that the flight modes are now on CH 7 for the 3 pos switch and the U(5) channel seems to be free...?
I managed to get every thing working as before, 3 position switch, Fail safe, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the Intelligent orientation control, which is usually on X2, so that it is on 'Home lock' as apposed to 'Course lock' where it is set, if switched on. Drives a person nuts!

As for my previous post related to interference, I flew again yesterday in an open environment, and it must have been electrical interference that caused the instability.
Solid as a rock again.
As you say Kilrah, the question is what was being interfered with!?
Andyatjetaustralia

Post by Andyatjetaustralia »

Is is possible to bind the D8R-XP with DJT Module using pin 1 - OFF and pin 2 - ON, ie. in non-telemetry 'V' mode, and still keep CPPM?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

AFAIK D receivers are not compatible with the V protocol.
Andyatjetaustralia

Post by Andyatjetaustralia »

Owner of the DJT module (in a JR radio) does not want to have to change module pins (currently pin1-OFF, pin2-ON) to change models, from V8R-II receivers to a D8R-XP receiver so he can use CPPM.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Perhaps this is being approached in the wrong direction. I believe the V8R-II receivers operate correctly using the 'D' protocol, so both should work with the switches both 'down'.
The 'V' protocol is only needed for the older V receivers that are not the -II ones.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

Return to “RF MODULES”