Swapping trainer and throttle hold switches

Programing help and example for all firmwares based on thus's th9 firmware.
daklein

Post by daklein »

This may be an unusual issue, caused by my own fumbling, but still curious.

I think my 9x was originally a mode 1 setup, and I bought cause mode 2 was out of stock at the time. I changed the sticks, and selected mode 2 in er9x, and that worked good. I also unsoldered and swapped the trainer and throttle hold switches from left to right also. The momentary and latch switches are now as I want them physically. But the radio still calls 'trainer' the one on the right, which is what I want to use for a heli throttle hold.

Is there a way to swap those functions in the software? I don't see how to do a mix which would output the trainer on/off state.

Or an easy solution that I'll happily do, just move the wires also. (I would have originally, but the wires are not long enough to reach).

Thanks for any advice!

jhsa

Re: Swapping trainer and throttle hold switches

Post by jhsa »

some wire, solder and shrink tube will do to extend them.. that is something I've been thinking of doing myself.. ;)
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
daklein

Post by daklein »

I'm reading in the wiki and looking around. Seems there probably is a way to change the functions in er9x. But... if TRN switch (the physical one) is always on the right, maybe I'll leave so I don't get confused later. You know like the + - buttons are likely swapped physically, but maybe not for all, so we refer to them as Left and Right.

Other related question / discussion: Do both mode 1 and mode 2 radios come with the switches and labels in the same place? ie, TRN on right, THR hold on the left? Or are the switch locations also swapped.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I have a radio that came as mode 2 and another that came as mode 1. the switches are in the same place for both of them.. exactly the same..

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

For mode 2 folks the swap is both easy and seemingly to me logical. Using the left hand for the snap switch makes more sense when aileron and elevator are in the right hand. Route the wire extensions above the screw studs to keep them from interfering with the gimbals . This is a standard mod for my transmitters.

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Functions and what switch does what is completely free in er9x. The names are just there to match the labels on the radio.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I would just move the trainer and the 3 position switches to the other side.. the others are all equal

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

jhsa wrote:I would just move the trainer and the 3 position switches to the other side.. the others are all equal
Don't you mean Trainer and Throttle -- or do you move the 3 pos also?

And as was pointed out -- just exchanging the TNR and THR switches will accomplish the same objective -- sort of -- as it adds a minor level of confusion keeping TNR and THR sorted out. I have enough problems without making more...which is why I lengthen the wire.
daklein

Post by daklein »

Scott Page wrote: adds a minor level of confusion keeping TNR and THR sorted out. I have enough problems without making more...which is why I lengthen the wire.
I'm agreeing....

Found easy enough how to make the TRN switch accomplish throttle hold in the mix for heli.

However, already once I turned on the radio with 'throttle hold' left on (the TRN switch on the right) which caused the DSM module to not connect and had to rebind.

Is it only DSM module that uses trainer switch pulled on boot up to do binding? Is it worth adding an option on radio setup, or only for any modules needing a switch for binding, ie: which switch to use for binding. Probably I should lengthen the wires and be done... Might look in the code to see where though....
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Ok, by moving the 3 position switch and the trainer I would probably have to arrange things a bit differently..
But the reason for this is that I fly mode 2 and want trainer and 3 position switch, usually flaps, to be flicked with my left hand, throttle hand..

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
daklein

Post by daklein »

I think i've decided, write that down... Just going to move the wire. for the TRN and THR switches, so the TRN I want on the left, is still hooked to the original input port. Only the one orange wire to each switch needs to move, the other is ground. Really pretty easy. Only the label on the outside of my radio will be not right for me, I'll be fie with that, and otherwise I should not be confused.

jhsa, i can definitely see your point about wanting to move the fmode switch too. But, the inside of the front case is molded to hold the pot 3 and the fmode 3 pos switch. I've learned with using the fmode and ail d/r switches together on the right for autopilot modes, so I'll keep them there.
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

jhsa wrote:Ok, by moving the 3 position switch and the trainer I would probably have to arrange things a bit differently..
But the reason for this is that I fly mode 2 and want trainer and 3 position switch, usually flaps, to be flicked with my left hand, throttle hand..
Ya know -- that makes alot of sense. Do you switch the ELE and the 3POS so the left side has the 3POS and POT3? -- and then right hand would have AIL, and ELE.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Anyone able to custom print/reproduce the Taranis switch labels?
We could just order up a new layout for a price.
I'd like to move switches around and keep the correct labeling.
I guess printing them on a sticky printer label and coating them with a clear sealer spray may work?
I missed this aloft order I could have added a label set for scanning. Next time.
Ideas?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk, small keys and a big finger.
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

Ping me in a few days and I'll see what I can do. I don't mind reminding because I've been diagnosed with chronic CRS. (Can't remember s***). I have a set of labels -- I could probably put them on vinyl.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

That would be great scott. Seems like a simple way to move the switches and still keep them properly labeled. I'll order if you make them$.

Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

This look right?
Taranis Labels changed.png
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Looks good. Can this be made into a vinyl label?

Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

Ya, PM me your P.O. addy in RCG and I'll send you a sample to examine. I'm pretty sure I have vinyl @ work. Probably be more shiny than stock labels - like a bumper sticker. If they look good to you I'll make a bunch. I'll have a couple different types to evaluate.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Scott Page wrote:Ya, PM me your P.O. addy in RCG and I'll send you a sample to examine. I'm pretty sure I have vinyl @ work. Probably be more shiny than stock labels - like a bumper sticker. If they look good to you I'll make a bunch. I'll have a couple different types to evaluate.
Ok to PM
You here?
I was thinking. One can purchase the label set from aloft. Could one cut the new labels at exactly the same place so the pieces could be swapped using a new #11 blade?

Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

Yep. That was my first idea, but have not done that yet. Turns out that it will be a week until I can print vinyl (or anything for that matter) because the overflow chip thinks it's full and refuses to allow printing until another $20 is invested in the printer.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I just made an aloft order so I'll have to make another one to give it a try.

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Ok I ordered 3 sets. I have 2 radios to convert. Now do I cut and just past over the switches I move or remove the extra layer? What would a graphics expert recommend?

Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

ShowMaster wrote:Ok I ordered 3 sets. I have 2 radios to convert. Now do I cut and just past over the switches I move or remove the extra layer? What would a graphics expert recommend?

That's funny, I was just wondering the same thing.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

That's why I ordered 3 for 2 radios.
I'm thinking of not removing the original.

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I just installed the latest slider pots on my A and B radios. Wow, what s difference! There're so smooth.
I also got a bonus. I was able to use the old slider and switch cable to extend the new ones. I added enough length to allow me to swap the trainer and throttle switches to opposite sides.
I ordered from Aloft and got the parts in 3 days. I'll get the labels Monday.

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Scott, please explore the label printing idea. I did cut any try one sticker set but I'm not sure I'm happy with my work. I'm not sure I like the sick on over the original idea.
It's not the $4 for the sticker set. It's the final look.
If you do get around to it I have a few ideas.
The ink can't run from fuel hands or water if printed on the top layer. I'm sure no news to you. Also a light coat of dulling spray maybe would take any shine off. I'm not sure it has to be black? Maybe a whole new set in colors? Maybe something Frsky could offer to the users that like the trainer on the left side as an accessory upgrade. If I had any input to Frsky, I'd ask them to make the trainer and throttle switch cables a little longer so swapping them wouldn't require any soldering to customize the setup for different preferences. So easy to solve.
That or a simple extension switch cable accessory $.

Anyone have a direct line to Frsky? Maybe I'll email Aloft?

My next attempt will be to actually cut the labels so they fit flat in the case indent.

Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

O wow. I guess you must have missed this post. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... st26467096 That method Completely negates the need to use the longer wires.

Ok, so when print these they will be on a vinyl backng with a clear vinly weather proof sheet lam on top, I made a couple bumper stickers for my truck last year and they still loook brand new. I've never tested them with nitro because I no longer have any nitro aircraft. I'll be using a fade proof pigmented ink - not dye. As long as I'm printing a couple - I need to print a whole sheet -- so if you want some different colors now is the time to specify. White on black - black on white - Maybe a sticker that says - "this ain't your mama's transmitter". Or "Fly FrSky or go home". :lol:
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Yes I missed the posts Scott, so many to follow. It's done and wasn't hard. Got to play with my soldering iron.
Thanks for the link. I'm sure others will use it if they missed it.
Ok on the labels. Hopefully you'll come up with something great.

Sticker color. Probably the same as the original if you're printing a whole sheet the first time around.

Return to “er9x / gruvin9x / th9 based firmwares”