Will FW update lose my model settings?

A fork of eePe. It's aim is to provide one tool that works with ALL firmwares!
Kilrah

Re: Will FW update lose my model settings?

Post by Kilrah »

bunker wrote:Since I couldn't find a way to verify it short of flashing it back
File -> Open.
If the file is good you get a nice window where you can go and edit your models. If it's not... you'll get an invalid file message.

bunker

Post by bunker »

Ohh, I see. :oops: I guess I didn't try that then. I think I mainly fiddled in the Burn menu. I'm sure it's obvious to you but to me it was a bit confusing at the time with EEPROMs, Flash memory and a file-type for Companion9X itself that I didn't know what it should contain. I mainly drew my assumption from the fact that a file was written to disk.

Another suggestion then:
If I make a backup of my 9XR with Companion9x, could Companion9x ask me if I want to open the backup file to verify it directly after? It should be common practice whenever I make a backup. A broken backup is no backup after all. Maybe it's better than trying to sort out lock-bits.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

If you try to read the eeprom into eepe or companion, and if it is invalid, it will tell you that is an invalid eeprom format. I think Mike 's idea is good if he can get it to work.

João

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
PJG

Post by PJG »

The Atmega 128 Lock Bits can be edited using Extreme Burner program. The 9XR lock bits are set to FC.
Memory lock bits 1 and 2 disable read and write access to flash and eeprom, respectively. Changing lock bits to FF enables this read and write access.
Googling "ELMB128 Lockbits and Fuses" yields a pdf file that defines the lock bits on the Atmega 128.

Having had a 9x bricked by a defective STK500 programmer and the consequent protracted use of stiff upper lip and external oscillator to revive it; it's surprising how one's education regarding fuses is improved and the deep joy of success after doing a Lazarus.

AVR Burn-O-Mat and Extreme Burner both describe the high, low and extended fuse bit parameters, with a hex editor facility; but Extreme Burner is needed to read and edit the lock fuse.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Have you done it successfully?
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

PJG

Post by PJG »

Hi jhsa,
Yes, success.
I bought two 9xr boards from Hobbyking, as they were so cheap, so I could upgrade a couple of my 1970's vintage transmitters to 2.4GHz, as they are old friends.
Having found that I could not alter the high fuse settings, I checked out the lock fuse and decided to change it from FC to FF, as in my previous post.
I then found that I could write the lock fuse to FF, but when I read the fuses, it had defaulted to FC again.
Trying to write the high fuse from C9 to 81 or 89 always returned a verify error.
After some more reading, found that lock fuse requires a chip erase to default it to FF and that the erase does not affect the high, low and extended fuses.
Erased the chip; lock fuse was then FF and I could then write the high fuse from C9 to 81 or 89, (depending on whether eeprom is protected, or not).
All this performed with Extreme Burner, an excellent tool.
This has helped to pass the time, while I wait for the lcd displays to arrive from China, after their New Year (of the horse) revels are concluded.

Return to “companion9x”