assembling new RC, would use OpenTX

Not sure what firmware to use? Making a new firmware? Ask in here!
ubgen

assembling new RC, would use OpenTX

Post by ubgen »

Hello,

I am trying to implement a custom remote control which would be based on common hardware, but with military robust components. I need to use it in critical enviroment, in wich a FrSky or any other commercial RC could be damadged.

So I suppose I can use a board Arduino Due (Cortex M3, same as FrSky) and the OpenTX firmware. How can I get the source code and port it to Arduino Due? Please help me obtaining the source code, thanks

jpparisy

Re: assembling new RC, would use OpenTX

Post by jpparisy »

The source code is freely available here: https://github.com/opentx/opentx.

As far as I know, the Arduino is not a robust military equipement ! :D
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

If what needs to be "robust" is only the case, I'd buy a Taranis and transplant the electronics into a case of your own design.

There might be some significant porting work to be done to rewrite all the drivers for the arduino, while the CPU core is the same all the peripherals differ.
If I remember well the MCU on the arduino is actually closer to the one on the sky9x board, similar family.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The arduino Due uses the same processor as the 9XR-PRO (AT91SAM3S8).
I would agree that getting a Taranis, or a 9XR-PRO when available, would be quicker than starting from the Due.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
ubgen

Post by ubgen »

First of all, I want to thank everybody for the replies, jpparisy thank you for the link.

Now, Kilrah, I don't need only a robust case, but also new sticks and switches, every exterior part has to be robust and military grade. I already have sticks and switches. Plus the transmitter unity must assure a long range, over 20 km and must have the ability to drive an external powered antenna (I have the transmitter also).

Mike, I know Arduino Due has the same ARM MCU of the FrSky Taranis, a Cortex M3 and I did not know there is a Turnigy 9XR Pro with an ARM MCU, since what I could find online was a Turnigy 9XR with an ATMega 128 MCU. Could you tell me what motherboard is used on the 9XR Pro?

Anyway, since OpenTX for a Cortex M3 already exists (the Taranis firmware), I would like to use it on an Arduino Due configuration. I will make the necessaries modifies myself and I would like to release the project as an open-source one.

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Again the cortex-M3 is only one "minor detail", it's the CPU that executes instructions, is made by ARM, and is integrated by microcontroller manufacturers in very different ways with diffrerent hardware.

So the Arduino Due has the same CPU as the Taranis, but NOT the same MCU which is what's important. Atmel and ST use very different peripherals. If you use an Arduino Due, the peripheral drivers from the Taranis will be of no use to you, BUT you can use those for the sky9x and 9XR Pro as they both use Atmel MCUs similar to the ones on the Due as Mike confirmed.

The 9XR Pro is not yet released, so it's normal you didn't find info about it. It will use a board quite similar to this one regarding the major features: http://www.ersky9x.net/

When I said case I meant everything external indeed. The thing is that military grade devices usually require using specific military-grade electronic components and design procedures, which an arduino or consumer RC radio definitely doesn't comply to.
If that is not a matter then yes I would take the electronics from a Taranis (or 9XR-Pro when it's released), and connect your special gear (RF modules, gimbals, switches etc) to it. Everything's on connectors, and it will save you a bunch of time as you can skip developing an arduino shield, and the software will run out of the box.
Filip

Post by Filip »

I would like to release the project as an open-source one.
Hi ubgen, have you made any progress?
I am very interested in the results!

Filip
humblehacker

Post by humblehacker »

I realize this thread was last updated a year ago, but I am very interested in the outcome as well! I would like to flash an Arduino Due with OpenTX and use it to replace the motherboard of a Dx5e (adding more switches+LCD display as necessary. If anybody else has any more information on whether or not the can be done I would be greatly obliged!

Return to “other”