Gps alarm wanted

Not sure what firmware to use? Making a new firmware? Ask in here!
ShowMaster

Gps alarm wanted

Post by ShowMaster »

Not sure where to post a feature wish so did it here.
Mike has been great in the past as others in making requests happen.
Is it possible to have an alarm function happen when the Frsky gps goes past a certain limit?
Like several fields that have 400 ft levels I fly at and now use the altitude alarm function, fields are very close to freeways. One field has a freeway at the north end of the runway that is forbidden to fly over on landing or approach depending on the wind. If a motorest complains the Hwy Patrol can and does ticket the flyer. A new field that will be starting up in another area has a very busy freeway to the west that again is close enough to be trouble if the flyer isn't paying attention. Not the best best choices for locations but in a busy place like the Los Angeles area you take what's free! Maybe your club field has this issue?I
So while demoing my super fine er9x with all the alarm features I was asked if a longitude or latatude or both alarm could be programed into my TX? The club officer said he would buy/make/recommend the system in a heart beat to the members to minamize fwy overfly complaints. There is a safe zone between the fwy and the end of the runway but overflies happen, more with wind direction change.
So I thought I would make that a new FW feature on my wish list and it may be something others can use as well if it's possible.
Any add on options that will do the same is also wanted for the many other brand systems in use at these fields.
I have the Frsky GPS and HUB but haven't used it yet to know what it can do in general with all the current Frsky er9x updates. If I'm correct the gps will also give me relative altitude so the altitude (400ft) option Mike added will work with it? I use that option now with the WS HHigh sensor.
Here's wishing.
SM
Usually it's a north or south, east or west boundary thats needed to keep it simple if there is such a thing?

Typos from iPod with auto spell and large finger honest.

ReSt

Re: Gps alarm wanted

Post by ReSt »

Is that similar to what you are looking for?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... count=5272
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... count=8911

It runs stand alone with the ground station (PDA) and can log the full flight data to a file (SD card) including alarms for distance and altitude. (Various screen of the PDA program have been updated in the meantime)

Or / and as the NMEA version of the ER9x and can display a handful of GPS data
http://er9x.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/doc/NMEA.pdf

PDA and NMEA on ER9X are independent of each other, but both receive the identical data from the 'air station'

Reinhard
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

As with all these things, it is possible, we might need to find somewhere to store (in EEPROM) the limit. This might be Tx specific rather than model specific.
I'll add investigating it to my todo list!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

ReSt wrote:Is that similar to what you are looking for?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... count=5272
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... count=8911

It runs stand alone with the ground station (PDA) and can log the full flight data to a file (SD card) including alarms for distance and altitude. (Various screen of the PDA program have been updated in the meantime)

Or / and as the NMEA version of the ER9x and can display a handful of GPS data
http://er9x.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/doc/NMEA.pdf

PDA and NMEA on ER9X are independent of each other, but both receive the identical data from the 'air station'

Reinhard
Yes this is the idea. Unfortunately most modelers will not want to go through the expense or spend the money. I will print and submit your info. It is the info I requested.Thank you.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

MikeB wrote:As with all these things, it is possible, we might need to find somewhere to store (in EEPROM) the limit. This might be Tx specific rather than model specific.
I'll add investigating it to my todo list!

Mike.
Thanks Mike for even thinking about it.
Strange requests but cutting edge options. If I understand what your thinking if it could be implemented is that the limit alarm would be active for the TX and not stored for each model memory? That is OK if it could be turned on and off in the main menu. When flying at these fields each plane you fly there would have to have the telemetry and GPS options installed. Most fliers stay at their local field where this is an issue. It may not be needed of the setting would have to changed for other fields. A sign with the lon or lat could be posted in the pit area for those with the alarm options. Just an idea in the works here but again that's how dual rates and servo reversing on the tx became standard, necessity. We all flew for years without them and now we expect them.
SM

cre8tiveleo

Gps alarm wanted

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Infared emmitters along the parimeter, infared sensor on the plane, sensor picks up parimeter emitters, huge Strobe on plane flashes, alerting approaching parimeter breech. With telemetry, sensor hooked up to an aux port trigher haptic feedback on transmitter. :D

Or something like that... With voice... 'warning parimeter alert'

I'm just passing time at work...
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Having a think about this. I don't have the GPS sensor.
What resolution is required? The GPS LAT and LON have 5 digits before the decimal point and 4 after (dddmm.mmmm). This might take a bit of entering in a menu.
To start with I might be able to provide a single limit, with either LAT or LON and either > or <. Going past this limit would cause an audio warning.

According to my research, along a meridian, 0.01 on the LAT or LON values is about 18.5 metres or 60 feet (PLEASE CHECK). I would think this would be a good enough resolution. If so, we need degrees (+/-180 - 9bits), minutes (0-59 - 6 bits), and hundreths of minutes (0-99 - 7 bits), LAT or LON (1 bit), > or < (1 bit). We would also need a bit to enable the alarm.

BTW, for the GPS altitude, we would need to choose this as the master altitude value to be used in the height comparison. Nothing is ever straightforward is it?
All this will, of course, be childs play on erSKY9x because we have the memory and performance to handle it.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
wheelspinner20

Post by wheelspinner20 »

I would think it would be necessary to have a seperate audio sound too, one for altitude, and at least another for either lat or lon depending onw which is more critical. I would think since show said its just an east west thing, that would be a little easier. it wouldnt matter about angle, just the one number gets > yyyy and you know to change heading to get that number down again. Sound cool even though I dont need it.!

Rest... did you custom write the applet for the PDA?? Is the alarm loud enough and vibrate strong enough to be useable??

Would a Handspring visor PDA work??

Thanks

Pat
no more quippy little latin phrases.! Its old
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

wheelspinner20 wrote:I
Rest... did you custom write the applet for the PDA?? Is the alarm loud enough and vibrate strong enough to be useable??

Would a Handspring visor PDA work??

Thanks

Pat
This Program is written in HB++ (a free test version) and compiled for PalmOs 3.3

So, if your PDA runs under PalmOS 3.3 or higher and has a serial port and a SD card, then it should run on it (I don't know the handspring visor).

Reinhard

Return to “other”