Would like a Helicopter Tailored Firmware

Not sure what firmware to use? Making a new firmware? Ask in here!
MadMechanic

Would like a Helicopter Tailored Firmware

Post by MadMechanic »

Hey guys, I just got my TH9x in the mail last week (flysky brand if it matters) and I'm probably going to be buying the smartie parts board (because I don't trust my fine point soldering skills).

So now I need to decide on a firmware.

If I was a glider or plane flyer the choice would be easy, but I'm a heli pilot and more to the point, I'm going to be using this radio with a single rotor fixed pitch helicopter I am building that has an electric direct drive tail rotor. What this means is that I have to drive a motor ESC control signal from the output of a gyro AND I have to use revo-mixing or some other form of throttle-rudder mixing to be able to control the tail rotor with relation to the main rotor.

I've had marginal success doing this with the stock 9x firmware, but the stick sensitivity is too much, I just can't get a smooth response from the tail motor with any amount of revo-mix, end-point and sub-trim mixing I do. On top of all this, I need the tail motor response to be zero at zero throttle stick position.

Anyway, what firmware would you recommend I use when I do get around to flashing the firmware on my 9x? I've already downloaded Companion 9x, I just need to pick a flavor.

I have no plans/intentions of flying gliders or fixed wing craft, so if there is a more helicopter devoted firmware out there that will allow me to get my desired mixing effect I'm all for it. I would consider writing my own firmware, but I haven't the slightest clue where to start (unless I can do it in C-Language, I'm decent with that but I would still need help).

Thanks guys! And oh yeah, this is my first post on this forum so Hi!

MadMechanic

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Re: Would like a Helicopter Tailored Firmware

Post by Rob Thomson »

Either open9x or er9x.

Both will do the job.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
MadMechanic

Post by MadMechanic »

Ok, I was thinking I would start by trying open9x, but I'm having trouble downloading the binary files. I also notice that there are two binary files associated with open9x: standard and Heli+Templates. I'm not sure which one I should be downloading.

I'll start by trying to download the standard version, and if I can't get the download to work I'll just download er9x and give that a shot.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Start by downloading companion9x.

You can download and flash the firmware from within the application.

...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
MadMechanic

Post by MadMechanic »

There seems to be something wrong with the open9x mirror or download server right now as I cannot download the binary/hex files either manually from the open9x website or through companion9x (the connection times out).

I can download er9x successfully, which is what leads me to believe their is a host server issue. Is there a way to contact the file host or the support team to inform them of the issue?

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Pretty certain Romolo should see this and fix it :-)

MadMechanic

Post by MadMechanic »

Not to sound impatient, but is there a way to contact Romolo directly to inform him of the download problem? I still can't seem to download open9x with companion9x.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

He knows about it and is working on it, even though he's on the move...
MadMechanic

Post by MadMechanic »

Great, looks like he fixed the problem, and my smartieparts board+LCD backlight kit arrived today so I have already installed those parts, downloaded an open9x package that includes Heli options and flashed the firmware. All a reasonably painless process.

So now I'm sifting through the menus (lots more options now) and reading the open9x manual but I see no mention of any sort of revo-mixing available with open9x. Is this something that can be accomplished just through the use of the (greatly) expanded "curves" options?

Thanks for the support!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

It's pretty easy. A revo mix adjusts the rudder output according to whatever changes torque on your heli. In your case as it's an FP, it's the throttle.
So, on your rudder channel, add a mixer line with source = throttle, ratio 100%, select an unused curve, and set that curve as needed. Multiplex needs to be Add, so this will be added to your rudder stick input.

Return to “other”