New to the 9x would like some advice

Not sure what firmware to use? Making a new firmware? Ask in here!
Xerravon

New to the 9x would like some advice

Post by Xerravon »

Hi,

I am new to the 9x, actually just ordered it last night so I dont even have it yet. I also ordered the smartieparts board and a backlight. I was hoping I could get some advice from some experienced people here.

I bought this because I am would like some more channels, If I understand correctly I can get up top 16 channels with some of the custom firmware I would be very happy with 12 channels. I would also like to use this radio with the Dragon Link system and for use with multicopters.

I will probably end up trying all the different firmware versions over time but I would love to know which version some of you guys would suggest to start with?

I am also curious If I will be able to use any of my 2.4ghz Frysky rx's with the 9x system.

thanks for any help,

John

dvogonen

Re: Sv: New to the 9x would like some advice

Post by dvogonen »

It is certainly possible to use FrSky RXes, but you need to get a FrSky TX module. A lot of people (including myself) prefer FrSky to the original FlySky radio system.

It doesn't matter if you use Er9x/eepe or Open9x/companion9x, since both are good. I am using open9x since it is more customizable. One example is that open9x supports language translation, which er9x does not.

Be very careful while modifying the radio. Take one modification at a time and always check for shorts BEFORE you turn the power back on. Never leave the battery in the radio while you have it open, it only takes a single slip with a screwdriver to destroy the electronics if the power is on.
ShowMaster

Re: New to the 9x would like some advice

Post by ShowMaster »

Welcome.
Please update your profile to include a country and better yet a town or city. Local help may be available.
The most single 9x transmitter killer is adding a battery pack with reversed polarity. Sometimes it done within hours of receiving a new 9x.
So ...
Do reuse the polarized 3 pin connector that's on the dry pack. Do make sure the center lead is the + and the - can be either side pins. Do not use any 2 pin connector that comes on a pack thinking you'll never plug it in shifted over, it never goes well at some later date.
Do buy a nice small tip soldering iron and practice with it before doing any mods to your 9x board,
A great battery is the HK Life04 9.9v battery. A great iron if in stock is the HK $16 soldering station.
The Frsky DJT tx module will just plug into your 9x and if you want telemetry that is the way to go. If your new 9x has the raised area around the module pins that is easily removed.
These are just a few things to be aware of because they seem to be the most common self inflicted damage right out of the box or asked questions,
Go slow and have fun.

ShowMaster
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Xerravon

Post by Xerravon »

Thanks for the help. I did order the Life04 9.9v battery pack when I ordered the radio. The only thing I am kind of disapointed about is I have the frsky DFT module for futaba. I imagine it can be made ti work if I can find the pinouts for the 9x.

oh, the radio I am getting is the turngey brand, it comes with a module and rx, will it bind with the frsky rx's?

I guess I have a bit of reading to do while I wait for the radio and parts to come...

thanks again for the help

John
dvogonen

Re: Sv: New to the 9x would like some advice

Post by dvogonen »

No, it will not bind with FrSky RXes. The producer of all 9x variants is a company called FlySky and the default 2.4GHz module uses the Flysky proprietary radio system.

kaos

Post by kaos »

My understanding to get 16ch you have to have 2 8ch module to do that. unless you wait for the Frysky X12D or 16D module that is coming out soon.
Xerravon

Post by Xerravon »

Thanks for your replys,

I am just wanting 12ch, I hope I can get that from it. That's good news about the new 12 and 16 ch stuff coming out!!
Xerravon

Post by Xerravon »

Hi,

I received my 9x today, still waiting for the smartie parts board. I do have an atmel programmer for flashing esc's but I am thinking it will only be a day or 2 for the other board to come so I guess I will wait.

everything looks good on the tx and really only one thing I am a little disappointed about is there only being 1, 3 way switch. Really no big deal considering the price. This made me wonder if there is any way to replace one of the 2 way switches for a 2nd 3 way switch? do any of the custom firmware's support this? or is it a hardware thing? I searched but found nothing..

this really don't seem like a bad tx as it is...

thanks,

John
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Nope, it's a hardware limitation.
You could replace one (or more) of the 3 pots with 3-position switches though.
Xerravon

Post by Xerravon »

Kilrah wrote:Nope, it's a hardware limitation.
You could replace one (or more) of the 3 pots with 3-position switches though.

thank you, I should of thought of that. I even thought I could mark the potion of the 3 locations on the knob and use it as a 3 pos switch but I like your idea much better:) So do I need to add resistors to the 3 position switch?

I did get my Frsky futaba module to work with my 9x (so I can use my frsky rx's now). If anyone wants the pinouts I can post some info. let me know.

thanks,

John
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Aloft hobbies in CA usually has a good stock of Frsky.
Xerravon

Post by Xerravon »

Hi,

I got it working, I didnt wait for the smartie parts board, I have an USBasp programer here so I used it. I tried the er9x first I figure I will try some others after I install the smartieparts board

Are other firmware versions much different than the er9x? I read somewhere they are all based off the same firmware version, so I am guessing there all pretty close to each other.

thanks again

John

Return to “other”