Soft throttle feature?

Not sure what firmware to use? Making a new firmware? Ask in here!
Crog

Soft throttle feature?

Post by Crog »

Hi,

Sorry if this is already available in some firmware. I have only just ordered my programmer and couldn't find a decisive firmware list or a feature list yet so outline the feature/idea at the end of my post.

Basically I have managed to trash my main gear on my Helicopter too many times when showing interested people my helicopter in the park to then turn of throttle cut to find that the throttle stick or idle-up switch have been knocked. Soft start in my ESC doesn't seem to do anything in these situations. I know i could be more careful but being a programmer adding a soft throttle start (or similar for any channel) would be a handy feature that could be turned on/off as required. As I say I haven't actually tried any of the firmwares yet so if there is one already it would be great to know?

The basic idea of the feature as a generic solution in which the output value is monitored/filtered for undesired changes:
1) Check difference in new output value to the last output value for the channel
2) Check for a large delta change
3) Check for small change in physical-axis input
4) Perform a slow 'ramp' of the channels value to the desired value over N seconds.

Thanks for any help/ideas the community can give. It would be great if this feature exists and is not just me that does this!

Craig

Kilrah

Re: Soft throttle feature?

Post by Kilrah »

It doesn't exist as a feature, but could be configured with the current possibilities. For example if throttle <25%, do a slow ramp up until there before going normal.

Or just use the existing sticky throttle cut template, i.e if you turn off throttle cut with non zero throttle input, the motor won't start until you actually bring the stick fully down and up again.
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

This is already possible with the mixer in the radio. I have a setup for that, let me look in my bin. . .
Ok found it -
Throttle channel mixes:
[tab=30]+100% THR (add you throttle curve mixes here)
[tab=30]-100% HALF Switch(SWC) Slow(u0:d5) - this mix slows the upward movement of the throttle only after throttle hold is released
[tab=30]R -100%HALF Switch(SWC) - this on comes from the sticky throttle cut

Channel 14:
[tab=30]Change SWB to SWA in the one mix

custom switches:
[tab=30]add switch A - AND SWB ID0

This will slow the upward movement of the throttle, Adjust the delay value if you need to slow it down more. Note this only holds the throttle about half way down, if you just shove the stick to full it will spool up hard. I am assuming you are only moving the stick half way to zero pitch then waiting while the head comes up to speed.

Or like Kilrah said use the sticky throttle cut, for helicopters you can set it such that you need to be in normal mode with the throttle/pitch stick all the way down or it will not release the throttle hold.
-Gohst
Crog

Post by Crog »

gohsthb wrote:This is already possible with the mixer in the radio. I have a setup for that, let me look in my bin. . .

Or like Kilrah said use the sticky throttle cut, for helicopters you can set it such that you need to be in normal mode with the throttle/pitch stick all the way down or it will not release the throttle hold.
-Gohst
Thanks Gohst and Kilrah for the quick replies. Gohst - Did you have some other solution that may already exist?

'Sticky throttle cut' sounds like a great solution for the throttle being in the up position when you disable cutt-off though and will be pleased to have that. From what you say I assume it would not check the case of having moved Idle-up at presents?

Using a new firmware on my transmitter is sounding ever more hopeful in saving bits of helicopter though! Which firmware would you recommend to start with as I will very much like to use this feature when I have the bits for flashing. I may add the idle-up check to this feature too if I get the time to set up a build but might stick some tape over the switch as another possibility!

Cheers,
Craig
Crog

Post by Crog »

gohsthb wrote: Or like Kilrah said use the sticky throttle cut, for helicopters you can set it such that you need to be in normal mode with the throttle/pitch stick all the way down or it will not release the throttle hold.
-Gohst
Sorry my last reply appears to have been a bit out of date. Thanks so much for your help in this. So basically it will work for exactly what I want with the throttle cut as it is requiring to start in normal mode with the stick all the way down :D Almost seems silly the stock firmware doesn't have this wonderful feature in a way and cannot wait.

Thanks for the support on the forums and for those who are developing the firmware I hope to flash on my transmitter sometime soon-ish,

Craig

gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

Start with Er9x, it seems a little simpler than open9x. If you are moving to telemetry(Frsky) you might want to give open9x a try, it has more options than er9x. It seems to me, now that I have tried open9x, that open9x has some more features. But they aren't that apparent at first so the learning curve is steeper.
-Gohst
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Agreed.

Er9x is quick and easy to get going with the typical features that the vast majority of people use.

Open9x is generally more flexible when it comes to setting telemetry alarms, complex flight modes and custom switches. Just means you have more to wrap your head round on day one. Of course... you could always try it and see how get on. I personally love it :-P

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!

Return to “other”