DJT module connect 9xtreme with no case holes

Where to find parts? Refactoring your entire transmitter, new cases? Sticks etc..
IanF9X

DJT module connect 9xtreme with no case holes

Post by IanF9X »

This is a simple enough mod that involves the use of the redundant spring clip backboard connector (reduce reuse and recycle :) ) being used internally in the 9x to touch against two PCB pads cyanoed to the sides of the DJT module. Works really well and I didn't want to start drilling holes in the back case. Sorry for pics being in not great order but think you will get the drift. It is just an alternative method and nearly everything you need is provided free by the 9x

Have had to continue this mod in another post due to limit of 10 images.
Attachments
You can see the clip orientation here and I had to bend lightly to get nice spring fit on both sides when contacting the module. You will be able to check this out by fitting the module without 9x backboard in place.
You can see the clip orientation here and I had to bend lightly to get nice spring fit on both sides when contacting the module. You will be able to check this out by fitting the module without 9x backboard in place.
Jumping back to the module. You can see the Tx and Rx wires soldered low down on the module pins and exiting left and right through the drilled holes where they are soldered to the pads.
Jumping back to the module. You can see the Tx and Rx wires soldered low down on the module pins and exiting left and right through the drilled holes where they are soldered to the pads.
You can see here that I slotted one of the side walls of the module cavity to allow the clip to pass through. I would have done this to both sides but for a previous hack module install I had already removed some case plastic, so basically had to use some styrene card super glued on to form captive strip on this clip. Both clips must be free to slide freely. The slots you drill should leave about 1.5mm of plastic above the clip. I used the trusty dremel and small ball type milling bit to form slot.
You can see here that I slotted one of the side walls of the module cavity to allow the clip to pass through. I would have done this to both sides but for a previous hack module install I had already removed some case plastic, so basically had to use some styrene card super glued on to form captive strip on this clip. Both clips must be free to slide freely. The slots you drill should leave about 1.5mm of plastic above the clip. I used the trusty dremel and small ball type milling bit to form slot.
Two halves of the 9x back board clip de soldered from switch board and split in two. Just loosely in place here
Two halves of the 9x back board clip de soldered from switch board and split in two. Just loosely in place here
You can see pads clearly when module is fitted in.
You can see pads clearly when module is fitted in.
Spring connector to be removed and split in two
Spring connector to be removed and split in two
Tx pad glued in place first then small hole drilled high up on the pad through side of module plastic. Make sure you drill high as you will be close to the DJT circuit board. I used 1mm drill
Tx pad glued in place first then small hole drilled high up on the pad through side of module plastic. Make sure you drill high as you will be close to the DJT circuit board. I used 1mm drill
As above for RX pad
As above for RX pad
Blank pad in place dry fitted first for size tweaking
Blank pad in place dry fitted first for size tweaking
image.jpg
Last edited by IanF9X on Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:29 am, edited 3 times in total.

IanF9X

DJT module connect 9xtreme continued

Post by IanF9X »

This is a continuation of connecting DJT module to 9xtreme board without drilling hole in back of 9x.
Attachments
And there we go.
And there we go.
Used a female 3 pin connector using only black and red wires. Black from 9xtreme cable is black on female connector which is Tx. White from 9xtreme cable is red on female connector which is Rx.
Used a female 3 pin connector using only black and red wires. Black from 9xtreme cable is black on female connector which is Tx. White from 9xtreme cable is red on female connector which is Rx.
Ok so I used some styrene card cyanoed to the case back to provide guidance for the clips. Two strips either side of each clip with a little clearance and a bridging strip to captive the spring clip. All the time the clip must be free to slide along these guided styrene channels.
Ok so I used some styrene card cyanoed to the case back to provide guidance for the clips. Two strips either side of each clip with a little clearance and a bridging strip to captive the spring clip. All the time the clip must be free to slide along these guided styrene channels.
You can see both clips here.
You can see both clips here.
jhsa

Re: DJT module connect 9xtreme with no case holes

Post by jhsa »

Nice mod. But I think I would use pin 2 and 5 of the RF module. Or just pin 5 as I don't care about programming the module's alarms which I can do with eepskye anyway. The only thing needed is to connect a pair of resistors between the module's serial pins and the molex connector. If using pin 2, the corresponding pin on the backboard must be isolated (tracks cut) on both sides of the board, as it is connected to ground. I guess this is easier to do than installing spring contacts and PCBs on the module.
please don't get me wrong, it is a nice mod and yet another way of doing it. But if the FrSky DJT module already has 2 free pins (contacts), why not using them instead? The molex connector also provides (it should) a good connection. You wouldn't be flying your models otherwise. :)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
IanF9X

Re: DJT module connect 9xtreme with no case holes

Post by IanF9X »

Ah I could probably have left well alone then Joao as I'd already done the track cutting exercise previously. I don't have enough electronic knowledge to know about the resistor setup although I removed the one resistor I had soldered into the DJT previous. In any case as you say it's just another option for anyone who wants to try it. The back board mod is much simpler as you say.

Return to “Hardware Mods”