Installation of MegaSound 9X

Where to find parts? Refactoring your entire transmitter, new cases? Sticks etc..
ShowMaster

Re: Installation of MegaSound 9X

Post by ShowMaster »

I'm using a modified SP 2.1 board as USB programmer. It's modified to not use the EL driver circuit and use the HK led BL. I have it removed from the board to solder in the extra wiring. Pb7 (pin17)
Logo pin connection on the SP board is soldered to the yellow wire when I remount the SP board. It has been all connected but removed because I thought the LCD not reading when programing FW was a solder mistske. Now I understand it's ok.

Is pb7 required to make the announce work? I'll temp solder it to pin 17 while the SP board is removed for test.
Yes, I may try to reflash the FW in your link.
Sorry it's not going ok. Not to worry. I'm not upset.
SM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.

HC1969

Post by HC1969 »

Connecting the PB7 required for operation! Not only controls the lights, but the entire protocol.
You might be confused with another card?

I do not constantly switched on and the lights? Because you forgot it the test program ...
http://rc.emiter.hu/ (MegaSound 9X, GCL-2, FrSky-RSSI-DAC, etc.) Keress fel!
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Ok I'll connect pb7 and retry new sd card again.

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Fixed! Yes it was the yellow wire!
Not understanding I needed the pb7 BL wire connected I reconnected it and it's now working. So is the volume!
I may have fixed it early on when I resoldered D0-D3 but because I was also wired into the SP board that I had to remove, I never reconnected the BL control wire. The LCD display being dark when programming also was new and confused me. The original 8gb sd card works as well as 4Gb I just tried.
I did have everything soldered the first time but I guess there was something wrong. In trying to understand the circuits and troubleshoot I removed the SP board and the PB7 connection on the SP board.
As always, the posted picture of our/my work showed others my work and the yellow wire to pb7 not connected! Thank you for seeing that and telling me it had to be connected. I may never know what originally went wrong but tonight it's working solid. I'll reassemble it and give it a er9x FW update and some test flights ASAP.
I better understand the circuitry now so I can help others locally.
I'll sleep well tonight!
Thanks again everyone.
SM

HC1969

Post by HC1969 »

:D I am very happy!!!

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

ShowMaster, you deserve that glass of wine. Well done ;)
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I had 2 glasses! Now that it's working I'm so smart! The next one will be so easy! I'll never know what actually went wrong but using the sp board pogo pin to feed pb7 to the board may have been it? The BL worked after the first total I stall but now I remember a slight delay when my BL switch was thrown or a menus was selected. It may have been a flaky connection from the start. After that I started working on it all and the ob7 connection was disconnected, my bad!
I'm going to solder pb7 to the mega board this time and not go through the so board pogo pin connection. I keep the SP board in this 9x because it works well and it was my first conversion several years ago. The USB connector in the battery box is a nice touch also.

Ok, now I can stop draining all this great forum brain power so others can call on it.
Thank you all again for seeing me through this.
If off to my local field to do some rc flight instruction today if the winds die down. Over 30mph Thursday. 35 miles away fires are burning down homes!

SM

HC1969

Post by HC1969 »

Many people ask the schematic diagram, so I put here:
http://www.file.emiter.hu/file/Modellez ... und_9X.pdf
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

ShowMaster wrote:I'm going to solder pb7 to the mega board this time and not go through the so board pogo pin connection. I keep the SP board in this 9x because it works well and it was my first conversion several years ago..
I take it that you have the early SP board with the EL backlight. Have you got the light working, now that PB7 is in use with the sound module instead of the backlight as it was originally?
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Yes the BL works with the mega board and pb7. I was using the VDD pad on the SP 2.1 board to trigger my led BL FET input but I think I'll solder to pin 17 directly for pb7 now. I'll decide that after reinstalling and trying the SP board again. I have used the VDD pad for the BL control for a year ok.
I cut the trace going to the pin 5 of the sp ic2 to stop the high voltage and any rf noise it could produce unloaded.
I was going to make a daughter board with the FET on it to mount on the so board and use the el connector fort HK BL. I never followed through with that so the FET is still I'm the led connector as many use it.
I thought by now someone would have done that and saved me the trouble of designing it. I got lazy and it all worked.
I keep the SP board because it was my first er9x flashing attempt several years ago and has worked well. Now that I'm doing the voice update I may update my SP board to have the liked FET on it.
I just checked my mega update and everything is working, voice, BL, beeps, volume control. Whew!
I'll reinstall the SP board tonight and do the final tests including a er9x FW update now that I know what to expect.
I left the original piezo speaker mod in but disconnected the circuit. I'll remove those parts furring the final install.

The megasound board will be remounted onto the SP board in the same location when I reinstall everything.
SM
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367597983.678478.jpg

Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Ahh.. Okay.. So you haven't used the original EL panel that came with the SP board.

My original TX has the old EL SP board, and I would like to keep that working, rather than going to an LED backlight. Part of the modification has been done to the original TX in anticipation of fitting/purchasing a Megasound module, which has been the removal of the pogo pin that hooks onto the pad that connects to pin 17 of the m64/m128. Yet to check to see what is needed to turn off and on the high voltage supply, so that the output of the Megasound BL drive can be altered to drive the SP card.
ShowMaster wrote:The megasound board will be remounted onto the SP board in the same location when I reinstall everything.
I was wondering how the two cards would fit into the small space. So you put the Megasound on top of the SP card. How are you proposing to mount it and avoid shorts and the like? Would be nice to see a picture of it all before you box it all up.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

You should be able to connect the mega board to pin 17 using the VDD pad on the SP board. My trouble I'm sure was something else. I'll try it again to check it out.
The mega board was mounted in the same place when the sp board was installed. I removed all for the troubleshooting.
I use the white 1/16-1/8 thick double side sticky mounting tape made by 3m. It's thik enough to press over the SP screws in the right side and still insulate the boards from each other.
I'll post pictures of the final build. In may be Saturday first chance.
SM

HC1969

Post by HC1969 »

Mega Sound 9X is currently not in stock, but working on the new series!
It will soon be available again!
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

HC1969 wrote:Mega Sound 9X is currently not in stock, but working on the new series!
It will soon be available again!
What will it do better?
Size the same?
SM

HC1969

Post by HC1969 »

Misunderstanding! This is the original, but I ran out of it and just made the new potions!
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

My megasound install with a sp v2.1 board. I cut the traces going to pin 19 VDD to unload the pogo pin and cut the trace going to pin 5 of ic2. Some cuts on top and bottom. The mega board uses pin 17( I posted pin 19 earlier by mistake, sorry) pb7/VDD and the HK BL connects to the mega board.
I double face tape the mega board to the SP board with an added spacer to keep the board level. Easy to access the sd card slot for voice updates as well as mega board FW updates.
It's all working great now and it's ready to fly.
I did cut out the front case slots where the speaker is mounted for a louder volume.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367774136.440708.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367774161.190206.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367774209.220714.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367774229.119926.jpg
SM

Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Now I'm confused. :|

Before the addition of the Megasound unit. The backlight feed to the SP unit came from pin17 of the M64 via a pad that is connected to that pin. The sound unit 'robs' that pin for its own use. So that means if you want to keep the SP card, you have to isolate the Pogo pin from that pad, or cut the trace on the SP card.

I don't understand why additional traces required to be cut on the SP board. What is pin 19 VDD all about, is that related to the Megasound card?

In my simple mind. It should be fairly easy to add the megasound card to an installation that has the EL backlight, and still retain the backlight that was there. Isolate/remove the Pogo pin that connects to pin 17 of the M64. Run a wire from there to the Megasound card PB7 data input. Run the backlight output from the Megasound card to the SP card where the pogo pin was (or is if you just isolated it) and that should be it.. EL backlight back in action.. :)

So what have I missed?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The megasound board backlight output is an open collector transistor, not a push-pull processor output, maybe this is relevant?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Good point Mike.. Nothing that a 10K pull up resistor couldn't fix. :)
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I corrected my pin 19 mistake, it's been changed to pin 17 the correct one.
So here why I isolated the SP board VDD pin 17.
It's been know for done time the 100v generated by the SP board to drive the EL backlight created noise on the tx 5v buss. It didn't cause any issues at the time but it the noise was there.
I found early on that I needed a brighter BL so I converted to the HK led BL. I just tapped off of the SP boards VDD to drive the led FET switch and left the el high voltage circuit in tack and unloaded. It does draw extra current go produce the 100v I'm not using. I decided to disconnect the 5v to pin 5 of IC2 next time I opened my tx case. I did that to install the mega board so I did the trace cut. After I installed the mege card and it now drives the HK led without the FET switch so well, I decided to isolate the VDD pin 17 pogo pin totally since I'm not going back to the EK panel after this upgrade. If your keeping the EL backlight then just use the VDD for the PB7 mega input. This PB7 input from pin 17 is used for the BL driver on the mega board and also is required for the announce circuitry, double duty. Just keep the EL SP circuit and still connect pin 17 VDD to the mega PB7 input. Since the pin 17 pad is offset from the actual mega64 pin17 you can solder a small wire on pin 17 for PB7 and still have the pad clear for the SP pogo pin to make good contact if you would rather do ii that way.
SM

Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

On this particular TX I will use the EL backlight, so I will use the Mega board (when/if I decide get it) backlight output with a pull up resistor to drive the EL circuitry on the SP card.

Readers of this thread can now see different ways to do things when they wish to install a Megasound card on an installation that has an SP (EL) card.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I rethought this and I can see your sp el concern. After the megasound board install the BL control is no longer pin 17 and must be from the megasound. If that's the case now you would remove the SP VDD/pin 17 pogo pin instead of cutting the 2 traces on the sp board to still use the pogo pin for the megasound input.
It was easy in my case since I have the HK BL and not using the EL BL now.
I isolated the VDD pogo pin because I think it was loading down pin 17 with the megasound board and the EL circuit both connected. I think that's what was wrong with my first install of mega board since I never found any reason for it to not work. I had BL control but now that I rethink it there was a delay in the BL lighting up. I thought that was strange but now I can see the difference. It lights instantly now and the announce is also fast. This may be the answer now that we've discussed the install options.
SM,

HC1969

Post by HC1969 »

MegaSound 9X again available (5 pcs)!!!
Interests in email!

Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

I have ordered one for my other TX.. Now comes a couple of questions.

(1) Can you use 16Khz files instead of 22Khz ones?

(2) As much as I like Micro SD cards. It would be great if there was a way to remote the SD card, so that you can access the SD card without having to open the TX. So can we get to the connections on the Megasound card, so that we can add a cable to remote the card?

If number two is possible. My idea would be to use an SD card to Micro SD adapter. The adapter to be mounted on the case and access is via a slot to where the Micro SD card would fit into the adapter. I'm not sure of the connections between the two. Can anyone help on this? Below is the SD to Micro SD card adapter and a Micro SD card for reference.
SD to Micro SD card adapter & Micro SD card
SD to Micro SD card adapter & Micro SD card
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

1 - yes, no problem
2 - That is what I did following another user idea for my first sound card.. it works well..
The problem is that the related posts are somewhere buried in the er9x audio thread.. :(

will try to find it..

João

Found it: :D

http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic ... ter#p17497

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Thanks for your efforts there João.. That is a nice way to do it for an Emartee sound card, as it has an SD card slot, and not a Micro SD slot that the Megasound has.

Also worthy of note. The SD card has 9 contacts. The Micro SD has 8 contacts.

You have a Megasound card João... I know that you glued it in and you have complained about the hassle of getting to the Micro SD card. Any thoughts?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Any use?
SDpins.jpg
We use SPI, so use the SPI connections column.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Ahhh yes, sorry.. got confused.. the megasound card has a micro sd I guess..

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Thanks Mike.. :)

With that information I can do the modification and mount the SD card adapter to the case, so that I can get to the micro SD card from the outside. :)
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Keep in mind that is planned to access the module's SD Card directly from the computer. then it won't be necessary to remove the card anymore ;)

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:

Return to “Hardware Mods”