T9X mod to use Flysky module, Frysky module and DSMX module

General mods that are considered worth doing; regardless of the end firmware you use.
kaos

Re: T9X mod to use Flysky module, Frysky module and DSMX mod

Post by kaos »

OK, just received my orange Rx from HK. put the DSMX module in ER9X, hooked it up. bind it. it works. :)
never used DSM before. I also hooked an orange satellite rx to the main rx. the main Rx after binding shows solid orange light and servo follow the controll stick correctly. but the small orange light on the satellite Rx has a constant blinking, is this normal?

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Cool!

If you plugged the satellite after binding, then you need to rebind the receiver WITH the satellte connected.
kaos

Post by kaos »

hmm, I did bind the satellite with the Rx from the start. let me try to rebind it one more time. could that be I let go the TRN too early?
kaos

Post by kaos »

yep, I let go the TRN too fast. now both rx and satellite lights stayed on. I thought for while that is a spectrum special. ;)
now all servos still react normally.

THx , Kilrah, You got me this DSMX module. By the way, you should put this thread to wiki how to make the DSMX module.

and this orange rx and satellite will be going to the Floater jet. Yeh, the goggle and jet came with the orange rx. so, I am going back to FPV thread now for the rest of the questions about FPV :mrgreen:
kaos

Post by kaos »

Got a question. is the satellite rx hot swappable? can you put in on or remove it after the Tx and rx already linked (bond previously of course)?
and is the satellite-rx main-Rx specific after it was bond with a specific Rx?

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

AFAIK you can remove the satellite if you want, and reconnect it to the same receiver without rebinding if the TX is the same (I would power off though).
If you want to use the satellite with another RX and/or TX you'd want to rebind the pair.
Camboui

Post by Camboui »

Once bound, a satellite-rx can be used alone without its main rx.
Red-black wires must be 3.3V, white is PPM out.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I's not PPM, it's serial data AFAIK.
kaos

Post by kaos »

Camboui wrote:Once bound, a satellite-rx can be used alone without its main rx.
Red-black wires must be 3.3V, white is PPM out.
HOw do you use a satellite rx without a main rx?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Some systems (multicopter boards, gimbal controllers,...) can take the serial data and use it straight away like they do with a PPM signal.

Example: http://www.mikrokopter.de/ucwiki/en/Spektrum
kaos

Post by kaos »

Ah, more reading. never had a quad/multi before. erazz's pipo board will be my 1st multi board.
OK, so the satellite rx once bond also is model matching? can only be used with the bond model?
Camboui

Post by Camboui »

kaos wrote:HOw do you use a satellite rx without a main rx?
See this rcgroups thread.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD1eePVWqoc
kaos

Post by kaos »

that is interesting. using a DX6i to control the HK supermicro rx/all in one controller. wouldn't it be easier just use the module in a T9X and done with it. ;) what function Dx6i has that er9x /T9x does not have.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

None, it's just that some people have Spektrum radios and don't want to buy another radio just for that, yet the HK micro things are cheaper than the Spektrum ones :)
kaos

Post by kaos »

i guess that module is specifically designed for piople like that. Now, can the Turnigy 9X control those micro all in one system directly without that module?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

AFAIK it's simply just another 2.4GHz system with its own TX modules, there are some for Futaba, JR etc.
You can put the JR one in the 9x of course...
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... dule_.html
kaos

Post by kaos »

HK surely knows how to make money. they make T9X and come out with a microsystem using a different module so you have to buy the module even you have the Turnigy 9x. :-S
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

They don't make the T9x, they buy it from Flysky... and they also buy and resell the micro thing from someone else.
Just like any store, they offer various cool things that come from here and there, that's it...
Camboui

Post by Camboui »

There are at least two reasons for using supermicro with Spektrum transmitters: channel order (TAER) and servo limits.
With 9x stock firmware throttle can't be set to ch1. With er9x, servo travel must be limited to 70-75%, otherwise the tiny linear servos may fry.
kaos

Post by kaos »

There should be a RCIEEE to standardize all this. ;) But again, IEEE is not good at that either. Last time I checked the SMT 5 V and 3.3 v reg , one has gnd on the left leg, one has gnd on the middle leg. :?
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I now have a DX4e TX and started gathering parts.
Any links to the regulator needed that's sold in the us? I may keep the DX4e in tact for a trainer TX.
AZ1117 Series 3.3V 1A Low Dropout Linear Regulator in a SOT-223 package
I'm also going to stock up on some 3.3 and 5v LDO regulators in various packages for this and other mods like sound. I'm trying to gather sources and part numbers that are stocked in the USA to avoid long delivery times and shipping costs. Does such a list exist?
Thanks
SM
mbanzi

Post by mbanzi »

I used the 1028-1063-1-ND from Digi-Key to replace the 3.3V regulator I removed from my DX4e so I could use it for flight sims again. You may want to consider another package, like the TO220, as the SOT-223 isn't the easiest to solder, possibly the LM3940IT-3.3-ND
seayway12

Post by seayway12 »

Question: It seems like all the modification here was using a module that has its own antenna. The transmitter hase the old 72 Mhz antenna. I am going to get a newer radio with the 2.4 GHZ antenna built into the tranmitter. Is there any problems using that antenna with the DSM2 module ( I will be using a module that I have out of a HP6DSM tx).

I also plan to hack a frsky diy module inside the tx. So I will be switching between the Frsky and DSM2. I see the modifications for the Frsky module using its own antenna.

The bottom line is: does each 2.4 Ghz system have it's own "special" antenna. Or will any of the antennas work with all the 2.4 GHZ systems..Frsky,DSM2, etc ??

Thank you very much
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

All 2.4GHz modules can use the same antenna type, BUT you can't connect one antenna to more than one module at a time. Which is why those who run multiple modules usually have one for each, as otherwise they'd have to move the antenna from one module to the other.

For example if you install both a DSM module and an frsky module, you'll have 2 antenna connectors, one for each. Either you unscrew the antenna and put it on the other connector everytime you change the module you use, or you just leave one on each to save the hassle.
kaos

Post by kaos »

mbanzi wrote:I used the 1028-1063-1-ND from Digi-Key to replace the 3.3V regulator I removed from my DX4e so I could use it for flight sims again. You may want to consider another package, like the TO220, as the SOT-223 isn't the easiest to solder, possibly the LM3940IT-3.3-ND
can this be used in placed of those 2 you mentioned?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260840163287;js ... 26_rdc%3D1
mbanzi

Post by mbanzi »

kaos wrote:
mbanzi wrote:I used the 1028-1063-1-ND from Digi-Key to replace the 3.3V regulator I removed from my DX4e so I could use it for flight sims again. You may want to consider another package, like the TO220, as the SOT-223 isn't the easiest to solder, possibly the LM3940IT-3.3-ND
can this be used in placed of those 2 you mentioned?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260840163287;js ... 26_rdc%3D1
Looking at the datasheet, that should work, although the output current is 800mA as opposed to 1A on the LM3940. If I remember correctly the 5v regulator is also 800mA max, so that shouldn't be an issue.
kaos

Post by kaos »

thx. i am not sure about that 800mA either. Like you said if 5V reg is 800mA then it should do it. I ordered these without checking the current draw requirement.
ShowMaster

Re: T9X mod to use both Flysky module and Frysky module

Post by ShowMaster »

Kilrah wrote:A few photos of my module:

I'm thinking of doing the dsm module mod. Is there a latest schematic of all the wiring required? Does the pushbutton on the old board in the pics do anything with the dsm module mounted in the case or does it just fill up the hole?
SM
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

The schematic is still the same as in the Wiki DSM pages. The button does nothing, I covered it with my custom label. I used the Vreg that was on the board though, and the board was convenient to hold the components.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Kilrah wrote:The schematic is still the same as in the Wiki DSM pages. The button does nothing, I covered it with my custom label. I used the Vreg that was on the board though, and the board was convenient to hold the components.
Thanks,
Great pictures.
SM

Return to “Electronic Mods”