T9X mod to use Flysky module, Frysky module and DSMX module

General mods that are considered worth doing; regardless of the end firmware you use.
kaos

Re: T9X mod to use Flysky module, Frysky module and DSMX mod

Post by kaos »

the difference is your link has sma to sma, the one I listed has a ufl-sma. you only use one end. just pick the end (male with a pin in the middle) then solder the center wire to ant the shielding mesh/wire to gnd. if you use a female connector then you need a male ant to put on. if you use a male connector then you need a female ant to put on.
most module with sma connector has a male on the module and the ant usually comes with a female end. there are male end ant you can buy too.

juhis

Post by juhis »

Sorry, I've obviously not been specific enough, so thanks for bearing with me. The module that I've ordered is the FrSky DHT (DIY) module. And I intend to use the antenna that comes with that module. So what I'm interested in is, what kind of connector will be on the FrSky DHT module antenna, is it reglular SMA or RP-SMA. There seems to be mixed info on the forums, but my educated guess was RP-SMA when I ordered the cable.
kaos

Post by kaos »

ah, that term rpsma or sma being used very confusingly. the only thing important is the male (has a pin at center) or female(has a hole at center) and it is a screw head or screw cap. the DHT comes with a male (center pin) and a screw thread on the outside (there are connector has female - hole center with screw thread on the outside). so you will need an antenna has a female (hole center) with a screw cap and that is the ant comes with the DHT (the black stick). what you need is a male sma (with screw thread on the outside, pin at center) then your DHT ant (the black stick which has a female - hole center) can screw on the sma connector.

in your pic of ebay item that would be the one at the upper left end ot put in the flysky module box to use the same black ant that comes with DHT.
schome1

Post by schome1 »

I've read through most of this thread and have a question. If I buy an Orange external module, will that give me the ability to fly my MCPX with my Taranis?

I have a DX4e and I have a DM9 module shell. I'm just thinking that if both the custom module build and the Orange are going to give me the same results, I'll save myself the effort and buy an Orange external module and sell my DX4e to someone who can use it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Yes, the Orange module works fine simply plugged into Taranis.

The drawbacks of going this way, compared to using the module from a DX4 or DX5 are:
1. The Orange module has an awkward antenna setup that sticks out the back.
2. The Orange module doesn't give Model Match or automatic shifting from one type of DSM receiver to another -- you have to do it manually.

These issues may not matter much for your use and it's certainly easy to just use the Orange module as is.

GhostMasterPT

Post by GhostMasterPT »

Daedalus66 wrote:Yes, the Orange module works fine simply plugged into Taranis.

The drawbacks of going this way, compared to using the module from a DX4 or DX5 are:
2. The Orange module doesn't give Model Match or automatic shifting from one type of DSM receiver to another -- you have to do it manually.

These issues may not matter much for your use and it's certainly easy to just use the Orange module as is.
Does orange DSM2 module could bind 2 receivers at same time?
schome1

Post by schome1 »

Daedalus66 wrote:Yes, the Orange module works fine simply plugged into Taranis.

Thanks for the reply.

So, without model match, I could bind a DSM2/X RX over another (if I'm understanding model match correctly). I don't know what automatic shifting is. I'm thinking it is when the TX hops frequencies.

One more question. I have read that the way to bind with the modified DSM2/X modules is not by using the modules bind button, but by using the radio's trainer switch. Does the radio bypass the bind button on the external module? If I go the custom module route, I'm guessing that I can use the radio's trainer switch to bind my models.

Thanks!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

schome1 wrote:So, without model match, I could bind a DSM2/X RX over another (if I'm understanding model match correctly).
Model match makes sure that a model won't respond if you have another one selected on the radio. With the hack module it works, but won't with an Orange module. So with the Oange module any bound model will always respond when the transmitter is on.
schome1 wrote:I don't know what automatic shifting is. I'm thinking it is when the TX hops frequencies.
There are different transmission modes (DSM2/DSMX, and 11 or 22ms for each, i.e. 4 different modes). The Orange module needs to be manually set to use the right one when you use receivers with different capabilities.
schome1 wrote: One more question. I have read that the way to bind with the modified DSM2/X modules is not by using the modules bind button, but by using the radio's trainer switch. Does the radio bypass the bind button on the external module?
A hack module has no bind button, hence the need to do it with the trainer switch. The Orange module has its own bind button and you need to use that.
GhostMasterPT wrote: Does orange DSM2 module could bind 2 receivers at same time?
Yes as many as you want. BUT as mentioned if they don't operate in the same mode you need to switch mode (see manual) when you go from one to the other, OR rebind which works too.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

schome1 wrote:
Daedalus66 wrote:
So, without model match, I could bind a DSM2/X RX over another (if I'm understanding model match correctly). I don't know what automatic shifting is. I'm thinking it is when the TX hops frequencies.

One more question. I have read that the way to bind with the modified DSM2/X modules is not by using the modules bind button, but by using the radio's trainer switch. Does the radio bypass the bind button on the external module? If I go the custom module route, I'm guessing that I can use the radio's trainer switch to bind my models.

Thanks!
Model match doesn't prevent you binding multiple receivers (of the same type) to one memory slot. Rather it prevents a receiver responding to the wrong memory slot.

Auto shifting means the transmitter recognizes the type of receiver when bound and remembers it, so next time you go to that memory slot and receiver, it knows which of the four modes to use. Normally external modules can't do this as the PPM connection is one way. So no Model Match and no remembering which mode. With Orange, if you change to a different type of receiver (say from DSM2 22ms to DSMX 22ms) you have to press the button multiple times. Or rebind.

You described using the module just for one model, so no problem. Or if you stick to one type of receiver, like Orange 615/AR6100, etc. But if you use more than one type it's a bit of a nuisance. The radio just doesn't work till you get the right mode.
kaos

Post by kaos »

Since you have a DX4e. I would say do the dx4e mod so you have all the best of DSMX/2, it would be a genuine DSMX and full range. and you still can use orange rx or spectrum rx instead of the 'cloned' orange one. You probably won't sell the dx4e for much. I spent 40.00 to get a new dx4e on ebay to rip out the module.
schome1

Post by schome1 »

kaos wrote:Since you have a DX4e. I would say do the dx4e mod so you have all the best of DSMX/2, it would be a genuine DSMX and full range. and you still can use orange rx or spectrum rx instead of the 'cloned' orange one. You probably won't sell the dx4e for much. I spent 40.00 to get a new dx4e on ebay to rip out the module.
OK, I'm going with the DX4e mod. I went to radio shack and bought a few diodes and a resister (the ones recommended in this thread). I still need to get some JWT connectors.

Would it be better to use the voltage regulator from the DX4e or a 3.3V 3A BEC?

Do I need the voltage regulator in the DX4e in order to use it in a simulator?

Can I mod the DX4e with the FrSky DIY module to make it a 4 channel FrSky TX? I'm just trying to reuse as much as I can.
EjectSteve

Post by EjectSteve »

For me, using a 3.3v ubec seemed to be the easiest way to go. I use the old dx4 for a simulator now, but I don't know what removing those parts will do to the dx4. It was hard enough just to get the module unsoldered with braid and a solder 'sucker'.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

schome1 wrote:
OK, I'm going with the DX4e mod. I went to radio shack and bought a few diodes and a resister (the ones recommended in this thread). I still need to get some JWT connectors.

Would it be better to use the voltage regulator from the DX4e or a 3.3V 3A BEC?

Do I need the voltage regulator in the DX4e in order to use it in a simulator?

Can I mod the DX4e with the FrSky DIY module to make it a 4 channel FrSky TX? I'm just trying to reuse as much as I can.
The voltage regulator and a 3.3v BEC will work equally well, but if you remove the voltage regulator, the DX4e won't work as a buddy box or with the simulator (or anything else).

I've been thinking about an FrSky module in a DX4e myself. The DIY module needs PPM input, while the DX4e module uses Spektrum serial protocol, so you can't just substitute. But it should be possible to get PPM from the trainer port.
means197

Post by means197 »

jhsa wrote:No, on 2,4Ghz you can't connect the same antenna to both RF modules and you can't switch the antenna. Each module must have it's own antenna..
What you can do is remove the stock module's antenna from the radio desoldering it from the module. Then glue it to the module's cover and solder it to the module's PCB again...
Then place the DHT DiY antenna where the stock one used to be..
You will have to switch power and PPM signal. Only one module at the time will have the power and PPM signal..
DON'T SHARE ANTENNAS.
Ah, and don't power the modules without antenna connected. It can damage them ;)

João
Joao,
I am new to the hobby and I recently got a FlySky TH9X. From looking around at the various options for aircraft, I keep seeing the BNF DSMX, and from what I've learned, the FrSky with telemetry is the way to go for range. Like the previous poster I was thinking about integrating the FrSky, spectrum, and FlySky(AFHDS) modules into the 9x case, while leaving the rear port open for expansion module (because why not). My plan was to run all three antennas from the modules into a single antenna, but based on your response this is a terrible idea. so my long winded question is why is this a problem? (I know little to nothing about antennas and how they work) I would think at worst the signal would bleed out some to the other modules. If having them connected together is a problem, can I switch them in the same way I was going to switch the power inputs for the modules?

I am asking these questions to learn more and understand what I can and cannot do. If the setup above is not reasonable it will change what I purchase. Ideally I will have everything integrated into a single transmitter, but if that's unrealistic I will get the JR modules and just swap between them.

Thanks for your input.
Jason
kaos

Post by kaos »

In theory, sure you can use the same antenna among 3 different module (as long as you power only one module at a time), if you use a SMA connector for each module and attach the antenna to the module powered on. But that leave you 3 Separate SMA connector on the Tx. To join all 3 SMA as one and just power on one module at a time, the issue is how are you going to solder the antenna wire (the center core and the shielding gnd) to different module without expose the center core and maintain the impedance of the center core. so the answer is NO, at least not without some really elaborated/expensive electronics.
I think the most practical way is put one module inside the Tx with one antenna on top and make all the other modules removable to be placed at the back with its antenna. and make a switch so you can choose either int or ext module to fly, or turn both on for 16ch flying using the int module and whatever ext module you plug in.
That is what I did with mine with a Sky9x board. you still can do the same thing with stock board, just can't keep the trainer function with 16 ch operation.
http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2877
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Why bother with FlySky? It has little to offer compared to DSM, let alone FrSky and lacks such features as failsafe and range test mode. Also, the choice of receivers is limited. If you have only two modules it's relatively easy to integrate both of them into the transmitter with a switch between them, one inside and the other in the module bay.
kaos

Post by kaos »

Why Flysky? Because the rx is cheap. ;) I have 12 Flysky rx in models 800mm or smaller for LOS fly. Especially like 450 Heli or smaller, they won't go beyond 100m before it disappears from your eye. ;)
Why Flysky+Frysky or DSMX+Frysky? I can tune up models with Flysky rx or DSMX rx by throwing on a D4R-II for telemetry data. ;)
Why DSMX? just for BNF models. otherwise I don't see an advantage over Frysky while its rx is a lot more expensive.

as for DSM2 (and the orange dsm2), no advantage at all to me.

For medium/long range FPV, Frysky + wifi booster + high gain antenna, especially the up coming LRx with XJT (if it ever gets released as promised). ;)
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

means197 wrote:so my long winded question is why is this a problem?
Paralleling 3 modules and an antenna means that the transmitting module sends 1/3rd of its power to the antenna, and the other 2 thirds will be go into the other modules and be dissipated there as heat. Or worse, as no one really knows what the RF port of these modules acts like when powered off.
kaos wrote:Why Flysky? Because the rx is cheap. ;)
Orange DSM RXs are smaller, cheaper, and better featured... I really don't see where FlySky is worth it. If you've got DSM anyway, better use that for the cheap stuff rather than add yet another module.
kaos

Post by kaos »

Kilrah wrote: Orange DSM RXs are smaller, cheaper, and better featured... I really don't see where FlySky is worth it. If you've got DSM anyway, better use that for the cheap stuff rather than add yet another module.
Last time I saw only a 6ch DSM2 orange receiver is cheaper. the DSMX orange rx are all pretty much in par with Frysky, adding a satellite it is even more.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ktrum.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ACCST.html

I really don't have much confidence in DSM2 considering the Flysky is hopping more than the DSM2.
I won't 'add' a flysky module other than it is already there. Any one using a T9X has one already. ;)

I am also curious about the 'reliability' of the orange rx too, especially the DSM2 orange. There are tons of Flysky being used. Yes, often hear the bad things from people about Flysky. But orange rx really does not have that much usage in volume compared to Flysky. Is it really better if same amount are used? (for short range LOS usage)
If the production fail rate after QC is at 0.5%, 1000 orange may have 5, while 100,000 Flysky would have 500 bad ones to report. Reasonable deduction? ;)
Kilrah

Re: Re : T9X mod to use Flysky module, Frysky module and DSM

Post by Kilrah »

kaos wrote:But orange rx really does not have that much usage in volume compared to Flysky.
I really, really doubt that.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk
schome1

Post by schome1 »

kaos wrote:I can tune up models with Flysky rx or DSMX rx by throwing on a D4R-II for telemetry data. ;)
I recently purchased a D4R-II, but I don't understand how to set it up for telemetry. I'm using CPPM, jumpered channels 3 and 4. I have modified the mini jst cable from the RX to the Vario. It looks like I need to supply power to the vario. Would you mind explaining how you got telemetry working with your D4R-II? Maybe some pictures? I've looked and I found some information, but nothing definitive yet.

*** I figured out how to get the Vario to work with the D4R-II - it needed power from the RX (channel 2 is the one I used as I'm using CPPM and channel 1is used and channels 3/4 are jumpered) into the IN port of the Vario.

My experience with OrangeRX 6-channel receivers is that I ordered five of them a while back. One couldn't bind. One kept browning out and caused two crashes. The other three have been flawless. 60% success rate. I'd rather spend the money on FrSky.
Last edited by schome1 on Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

kaos wrote:
Kilrah wrote: I am also curious about the 'reliability' of the orange rx too, especially the DSM2 orange. There are tons of Flysky being used. Yes, often hear the bad things from people about Flysky. But orange rx really does not have that much usage in volume compared to Flysky. ;)
Where do you get those ideas? The reports on reliability of Orange are at least as good as those for FlySky. As for numbers, I expect that the Orange receivers (especially the 6 channel $6 one) far outsell the FlySky variety. For one thing, there are many more Spektrum transmitters in use than FlySky, and the Orange 6 channel is the obvious cheap receiver for park flying. Add to that the popularity of the Orange DSM module as a way to upgrade the 9x, 9xr, and lots of old FM transmitters. The DSM2 base is huge.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

schome1 wrote:
kaos wrote:I can tune up models with Flysky rx or DSMX rx by throwing on a D4R-II for telemetry data. ;)
My experience with OrangeRX 6-channel receivers is that I ordered five of them a while back. One couldn't bind. One kept browning out and caused two crashes. The other three have been flawless. 60% success rate. I'd rather spend the money on FrSky.
Brownouts are a fault of the power system, not the receiver.

I've tested over 40 of the Orange receivers and all worked, except that one had reduced range. Success rate 97.5%. YMMV.

FRSky is great but Orange are cheap and adequate for undemanding applications.
kaos

Post by kaos »

another usage for Flysky: you can fly WLToys V9x9 quad using T9X which is ten times better control than the RTF toy Tx. :)

I am sure each has his/her own experience with certain product. that is why I am curious. i have not looked into much about these orange rx. read a few times of good result and bad result. Not enough data to say anything. My own experience with Flysky for LOS fly has been good. Not one single mishap can be attributed to the Tx/Rx. But I only have 12 rx, that is just a tiny fraction sample. Read a lot about bad ones and good ones. Flysky has been around much longer than orange. I would imagine with how cheap the t9x is and been around, the usage of Flysky out weighs the orange. and it has been dissected and torn down to traces by nerds around here. ;) every little detail has been analyzed to the bone. ;) Time will really tell, I guess.

I am not sure people is sticky with DSM or 'spectrum'. There is no doubt the quality of Spectrum is better than MIC cheap stuff so less problem. I don't see DSM per se being better than futaba, or other FHSS in reality. but DSM2 is out dated while all the newer ones is hopping more than DSM2 and the DSM2 is still hopping between two bands. In theory, there is more chance to be messed up with all these 2.4 Ghz waves around nowadays.

I started with T9X (actually T6A) with RC and started out with heli. There is no fail safe for 6ch heli, some thing goes bad, it goes down, as simple as that. ;)
Yes, I am getting into FPV with planes now, that certainly will help. That is why I would only use telemetry Frysky rx or OSD with those models. The cost of the plane/equipment mounted play a major role of what rx is chosen. for more expensive models, one would want the most reliable one (by hx) to work on. with cheaper foamies, as long as it works, it is ok, the cheaper the rx the better.. ;)

Model matching was a pain in the neck to me, until Mike recently (so is OpenTx) made the model number can be changed when models moves around,the model number can move with the model number. I have 20+ models in the eprom, added one by one with time. AFter a while I like to group them together in the same category, then I have to rebind the rx and some of these rx is really hard to get to. with new feature er9x and open9x can move the model matching rx without rebind, that inconvenience is a hx of the past . Because of that I have 2 sets of orange rx with satellite still sitting in the box. Cause I did not want to rebind before.
Acutally, I am going to try to fly two Qbot micro (which does not have model matching) at the same time and see how fast one or the other will crash out on me. :mrgreen:

I know a lot of people regard that as a safety feature. But I think if some one can't even select the right model to fly with his Tx and check before connecting power, sooner or later, something bad is going to happen to that flyer. Nothing is more important than preflight check, watch out mistakes constantly while working on these power 'toys'.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Much of what you say is a matter of personal needs and preferences. Fair enough. But a couple of corrections.

1. Helicopters need failsafe even more than many other models. I'd much rather be hit by a foamy parkflyer than an out of control 450 (or bigger) heli!

2. The current version of the FlySky 2.4 module and receivers came out a bit over three years ago, about the time the first Orange receivers were appearing.

3. Neither FlySky nor DSM2 is top level technology, but both work pretty well for relatively undemanding applications. Both have pros and cons. The original point was simply that for a lot of purposes, DSM2 has more to offer than FlySky and has even cheaper receivers (Orange and Lemon 6 channel, $5-6). So I would choose DSM2 almost every time if setting up a transmitter for simple models. You might well make the opposite decision or choose to have both. FrSky is in a a different league, with DSMX, Futaba, etc.
kaos

Post by kaos »

schome1 wrote: Would you mind explaining how you got telemetry working with your D4R-II? Maybe some pictures? I've looked and I found some information, but nothing definitive yet.
I use Frysky sensor hub and its sensors to the serial port. that is one thing I am looking into as well how it is going to work with openXvario together (working on the openXvario, waiting for parts ;) ), or at all. May have to use one or the other. I have not tried cppm with the hub together though. I don't use D4R-II as primary rx, since most of my models need more than 4ch control/connection.
schome1

Post by schome1 »

Thanks for the info about your D4R-II setup. I managed to get it working last night with the vario. I used one of the cables that came with the vario to get power from channel 2 on the RX and plugged it into the IN port of the vario. I also experimented with the fbvs sensor and plugged it into the A2 port and the battery voltage displayed. I have determined that the D4R-II is unable to translate the voltage from the SP-FLVS, but we should be able to use the FLVS-01 or 02.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
schome1

Post by schome1 »

It worked!!! The module from my DX4e was wired up as an external DSM2/DSMX module and I was able to bind to a DSM2 RX from my Taranis.

Thanks to all for this thread and to EjectSteve for the parts list, the picture, and wiring diagram on post #170.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Return to “Electronic Mods”