Introducing: TelemetrEZ

All mods related to the frsky telemetry series of the firmware
s_mack

Re: Introducing: TelemetrEZ

Post by s_mack »

Do you also have the frsky or telemetry (I can't remember how they phrase it) option selected? perhaps that's also required. I'm sorry, I'm not that familiar with Open9x

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Curious. My version of open9x / fez does not have the issue.

So.... What firmware do you have on the tez board? Mine is completely stock. Have you done any mods to the tez board?

Rob

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Promix

Post by Promix »

s_mack wrote:Do you also have the frsky or telemetry (I can't remember how they phrase it) option selected? perhaps that's also required. I'm sorry, I'm not that familiar with Open9x
Yes, I tried both frsky and telemetrEZ version. Same issue.
Rob Thomson wrote:Curious. My version of open9x / fez does not have the issue.
So.... What firmware do you have on the tez board? Mine is completely stock. Have you done any mods to the tez board?

Firmware is still stock on Tez. No mods done to the board
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Strange.

Maybe worth updating the the tez firmware?

A few notes back one was provided that resolved the delay issue? Maybe that will sort it?

Also... Assume you also selected frsky in companion? So frsky and tez selected?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
huginen

Post by huginen »

i have the same problem as Promix has, in companion9x v1.13 you can choose both frsky and telemetrez but in the latest version of companion9x you can only choose one of them , and the problem is there but if you download open9x with v1.13 of companion9x and flash everything is good

so i think you need to have both frsky and telemetrez option selected when downloading open9x

i have opened a topic under companion9x forum

Promix

Post by Promix »

Rob Thomson wrote:
In Companion you can`t select both options at the same time. That`s why flashed two times.

Don`t know what version is on Tez.

@ s-mack,
you should put on a sticker on your board to show firmware version before shipping ;)
Promix

Post by Promix »

huginen wrote:i have the same problem as Promix has, in companion9x v1.13 you can choose both frsky and telemetrez but in the latest version of companion9x you can only choose one of them , and the problem is there but if you download open9x with v1.13 of companion9x and flash everything is good

so i think you need to have both frsky and telemetrez option selected when downloading open9x

i have opened a topic under companion9x forum
Aaahh :o
thanks huginen. I will falling back to 1.13 immediately :D

I`ll be back in a minute.....
huginen

Re: Sv: Introducing: TelemetrEZ

Post by huginen »

Promix in version 1.13 of companion you can choose both of them at the same time but not in 1.15

Skickat från min GT-I9300 via Tapatalk 2
Promix

Post by Promix »

Hmpf, same issue when flashing with companion v1.3....... :shock:
Both boxes selected...

I`m lost now...

:roll:
huginen

Post by huginen »

i just tried in v1.15 again and it worked

Romolo just fixed a bug in the compile script
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

Promix wrote:First, thanks to Rob, Gohst and s-mack for helping me in troubleshooting.
I found out that there is something wrong inside my Frsky TX module so I have to investigate more later. For now I managed to bring telemetry on my 9x display :)

Downside is, it seems that I have the same issue like Buckmaster had or still has a couple of posts before. THR and AIL switch won`t work from the beginning :( They are active "1" all the time at DIAG page.

My firmware is: open9x-r1855 with TelemetrEZ option
At the end I flashed er9x r782 with Frsky and - Bang - both switches are working normal with Tez and telemetry data ! :shock:
Flashed back to open9x - switches stuck again.
Same with r1855 with Frsky option

Questions here : Is it my radio or is it open9x FW ? Is r1855 really the latest version ?
The problem is almost certainly the tick box you've almost certainly not checked when downloading Open9x.
telemetrEZ.jpg
This screenshot is from my Tx pimped with all the smartieparts sweetness.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

I believe Romolo fixed a bug on the compilation server. It was not including the telemetryEZ support when the box was checked. (or something along that line)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Promix wrote:
Rob Thomson wrote:
In Companion you can`t select both options at the same time. That`s why flashed two times.

Don`t know what version is on Tez.

@ s-mack,
you should put on a sticker on your board to show firmware version before shipping ;)
No sticker necessary... its printed right on the board. OK, that's a hardware version... but my point is that they *all* are shipped with the same original firmware. There's not really even a number for that firmware because it was a slightly modified version of one that Gohst did during development (modified at the last minute to give the assembly folks a way to confirm the programming took by giving LED feedback). They arrive to me as sealed kits. I don't want to open them to flash with any updated firmware because if it remains sealed from factory to customer then they've been in a static-free environment the entire trip. Plus its more work that I don't have time for :) My goal was to deliver a product that performed as advertised (did the FrSky processing) and the original firmware provides this. It was always intended as a hacker-type device that if people wanted to utilize for various purposes, they'd have to update it on their own. Of course if there was a major bug, I would have fixed it... I don't believe the 15 second delay qualifies as one and its not worth the risks.

Of course once the initial batch is sold... the next batch will have whatever the latest stable firmware is at the time. At that point, a sticker still won't be necessary because there will be a hardware update too so it will be stamped with a different number again :)

- Steven
Promix

Post by Promix »

@s-mack
thanks for explanation. It makes sense ;)

Trouble update :
My switch problem is gone. Today I downloaded 1.3 again and works right out of the box :)
I think the main reason was that I was really tired last night so the fault devil :twisted: came out and takes me over :mrgreen:

I`m using Companion9x install.exe, so I still have the issue with v1.5 and need to wait until v1.6 comes out to fix it.
At the end I found the "EZ" back and all in all it was fun and I learned a lot :geek: :D

Thanks again for all your helpful posts here.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Nope... There was a bug in the open9x compilation server. It was not including tEZ support properly.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
blushoes

Post by blushoes »

Hi guys

Telemetry noob here.

I can't seem to get to see any telemetry data except RSSI and TSSI on my turnigy9x with er9x-frsky firmware.

On my plane, I have a D8RII Plus, Frsky Telemetry hub, and a bunch of sensors like a variometer, FLVS01 voltmeter, temperature sensor. Sensors to hub, no problem, quite straightforward connecting there.

The hub is connected to the D8RII Plus via the yellow and black data cable, connected to the G Tx Rx port
of the receiver (I assume the black wire corresponds to G on the D8RII+ ).
the A1 port has a jumper on A1 and X

On my 9X, I have the DJT module, Smartieparts board and TelemetryEZ and er9x-frsky firmware.

On the telemetry pages, I can see the TX and RX strengths. But when I configure the custom pages to
show other info like altitude, volts etc, I can't see any readings on the custom pages.

BTW, anyone else experience something like after awhile, the live RSSI / TSSI feeds (live cos they fluctuate)
seem to just hang (ie, the data doesn't fluctuate anymore).

Thanks!
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Steve (s_mack), Just wanted to let you know your Programming Application works wonderfully, never so easy to update firmware. ;-)
THR / AIL delay gone, and thanks for GOHST and MIKEB as well and all the other Developers...
I have successfully added the Rotary Encoder to the TeZ and have updated the Wiki with a few pictures on wiring and PCB Layout Guide.
Everything looks great and the radio has never felt better!
I am just loving the innovative things you guys keep designing! Happy to be a consumer and give back in when I can...
On to the 6 Pos Mode Switch... I have created a wiring diagram for that too that didn't exist for the LED feedback.

Cheers!
Custom 9x with M64/Telemetry Mod
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

To blushoes: Ironic as it may sound, I have actually very little knowledge of how to USE the telemetry system :) I really only just worked out the system to connect the telemetry module to the 9x. Hopefully someone can help you shortly.

To LTMNO: Thanks for your kind words and your contribution to the wiki! I'm glad the Programming Application works for you. It was designed with a very narrow focus, so I imagine there's a lot of situations where it may not be ideal. For one, it only works on Windows. But also it provides no feedback when something goes wrong. But when it works... yes, my aim was to be simple and fast.

- Steven
Gaijin

Post by Gaijin »

I'm interested in the 6 Pos switch, maybe more so than the rotary encoder, details please.

By the way, Open9x latest seems to inroduce the THR / AIL error again, could be the FrSky / TelemetrEZ dual selecting error, it seemed to download both from my profile but I couldn't select them together, reverting to last fixed it.

Finally, quickly, on with the additional Eeprom, I'm running out of model space!! :lol:
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

Blushoes,
You will want to open a new topic on your questions. It sounds like your TelemetrEZ is working just fine. Probably just the 9x is not getting configured correctly.
-Gohst
mpjf01

Post by mpjf01 »

I have just used the latest version of C9x to download and install O9x FW with the Telemez option checked. I get telemetry data on the TX but the THR/AIL switch error is there and the switches are inoperative. Has the issue discussed above with the compilation been fixed or should I be looking at my Tx to find the problem - and if the latter any hints?
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

You did plug the original connectors into the side connectors, and the new jumpers to the connectors towards the inside of the telemetrez?
-Gohst
mpjf01

Post by mpjf01 »

Yes, I carefully followed the install instructions posted on the SP website and all the cables are connected as per the photos there.

I have a number of gliders with limited fuselage space for the telemetry hub and sensors. Up to now I have been using the Android App FRS Logger on both my 9X and 9XR transmitters to show me the RSSI and the Rx voltage (alarmed) for these models. This data is apparently available from the FRSKY telemetry receivers without the need for a hub and I didn't need to make any changes to the app to see them.

Some months ago I got a TELEMETREZ. While I am happy with the Android solution, I decided to install it today on my 9X with the intention of using both.

Despite the ongoing switch problem mentioned in my previous post, I can see the RSSI data (bars) in OPEN9x on my 9x screen but there seems not to be a Rx battery (or BEC) voltage available unless it comes from A1 or A2 - but if I set the range for these I get a voltage figure shown on the screen which varies according to the range value (and maybe the actual Rx voltage as well). I have looked at the Wiki but this seems to assume that I know what A1 and A2 are measures of. The somewhat inadequate FRSKY documentation that comes with the Tx modules and Rxs doesn't help. It would be great if someone could let me know if there is a source of information for the setup of these items.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Do you have the 9x radio or the 9XR? I think that the T-EZ board still doesn't support the 9XR..
I'm just asking because I think I saw you at the 9XR forum..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
mpjf01

Post by mpjf01 »

I have both but have installed this on my 9X.
huginen

Post by huginen »

i have the same problem as mpjf01 has with the latest version of open9x....
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

TelemetrEZ.jpg
Don't check FrSKY if using the TelemetrEZ
huginen wrote:i have the same problem as mpjf01 has with the latest version of open9x....
huginen

Re: Sv: Introducing: TelemetrEZ

Post by huginen »

I have only telemetrez checked and when flashing i get the switch warning and it will never go away

Skickat från min GT-I9300 via Tapatalk 2
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Wait a sec, I thought you were required to have both checked?

Anyway... I suggest installing er9x (the FrSky version, and must be latest binary, not "stable") and confirming if it then works. If it does, then its a problem with your Open9x installation. If it doesn't, then its either your TelemetrEZ or your installation of the TelemetrEZ (or you managed to choose the "stable" or non-frsky binary despite my instruction).
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

If the telemetry data is getting through (RSSI, TSSI, etc.) but not the switches, then it has to be open9x. You don't have any other mods trying to use the pins that the original Frsky mode would have used, correct? I ask because what the firmwares do internally is write the switch values to those pins. This made implementing the change easier on the developers. It sounds to me like open9x might still be reading the telemetry input pins as the switches, or the switch states aren't getting forwarded to the other set of pins.
-Gohst

Return to “FRSky Telemetry Mods”