FrSky GPS settings?

All mods related to the frsky telemetry series of the firmware
Kilrah

FrSky GPS settings?

Post by Kilrah »

I have a whole bunch of GPS modules at hand, so if possible I'd like to avoid buying the official one - has someone already checked what the baudrate were on the FrSky unit? Enabled sentences and TX/RX pinout are a bonus ;)

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: FrSky GPS settings?

Post by MikeB »

The Hub circuit diagram is available on the FrSky site, this will give you the pinouts.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
cre8tiveleo

FrSky GPS settings?

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Also a quick search would reveal that this disscussion of baud rate and gps has been floating around. 9600 I do believe.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?nuhk0e
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

There's a recent thread about baudrate indeed, but that's between the sensor hub and RX, respectively TX module and radio AFAIK. The baudrate between the GPS and the sensor hub can be anything. But obviously 9600 will be one of my first choices if I end up having to try every standard value until it (hopefully) works.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Found this on an HK discussion thread, unknown source. Could be correct, will have to confirm...
Attachments
48654459X8299X55.jpg

ziobaba

Post by ziobaba »

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

the sensor hub expects 9600 baud / 1Hz
Seems indeed, thanks!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

OK, I tried feeding the sensor hub some NMEA at every speed between 4800 and 115200, at 1 and 2Hz, no GPS display on the radio. Hmm.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

OK, so with confirmation from Zara at above link I got it to work.
The sensor Hub wants 9600,N,8,1, default NMEA sentences are fine, 1 or 2 Hz. Data is transmitted at 1Hz, but it seems setting 2Hz helps truly getting 1Hz downlink (input and output both at 1Hz but unsynchronised = gaps sometimes).
So I now have configured a Locosys LS20038 with settings saved in ROM, and all is good. Simplified the sensor hub cable a bit, removing a ground wire to eliminate a ground loop. Ideally if I had had one spare cable with the appropriate end bit to go in those small white connectors I'd have put power and ground on the DATA connector and eliminated the servo plug and pins altogether, as + and - are wired together anyway. Wonder why they did it this way.
On the Sensor Hub, The RX line (where the GPS sends its info to, damn those RX/TX conventions...) is the closest to the power supply (yellow wire on photo). The white one could be omitted, but as I had it there to program the module I just left it.

Return to “FRSky Telemetry Mods”