Will AFHDS 2A telemetry work with FrSky telemetry mod?

All mods related to the frsky telemetry series of the firmware
HuWo

Re: Will AFHDS 2A telemetry work with FrSky telemetry mod?

Post by HuWo »

It's on Pin2 again now - and I have a hectic counter under 'Debug' and a steady version number beside the 'Range' entry, so this part seems to be working o.k. now. Thank you very much for your patience and the confirmation about pin2.
What I still don't have are any values. No voltage etc. I built a small Arduino based vario from Github for I-BUS systems for instance, and while it works with the FS-I6 TX the MPM obviously either doesn't transfer the values or uses different names. I'll try out different options and firmware versions first and then probably try my luck in the corresponding MPM forums.
About the missing protocol names/numbers: I now read, that a change was implemented so that now only the names from in fact installed protocols are shown. While that may perhaps save some flash space it yet feels a bit unusual when you want to go to number 56 and have to count the blanks until you get there. Especially when all suboptions still are shown anyway

Hubert

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I don't (currently) know what identifier is for vario data in AFHDS2A, so I don't handle it.
If you have any information to tell me that I can add it in.
You should be seeing a RSSI value.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
HuWo

Post by HuWo »

No, no values. I tried an Orange R920x receiver (DSM2 22ms), also no values. If I had to guess I'd say the MPM either can't receive any telemetry data or doesn't transfer it. It's the blue Atmegaboard from Banggood, flashed to the latest firmware.
I think I have some links to the AFHDS2 T/M details. I'll look them up and then come back here.
THX
Hubert
HuWo

Post by HuWo »

The mentioned DIY vario sends
x00,01,02,03,09,41,82,83,84
The relevant signal is sent as x82.

All what I can find about AFHDS2 telemetry is either from qba667 (the guy who made the FS I6 my favourite Tx/Rx combo :) ) or is based on his work. Credits go to others probably as well, but this Arduino vario was the starting point for my query and Yenya used qba667's list.

Details for instance here:
https://github.com/qba667/FlySkyI6/blob ... emetry.txt
https://github.com/qba667/FlySkyI6/blob ... elemetry.h

or here ('Vario' source):
https://github.com/Yenya/ibus-altitude- ... s-sensor.c

thx
Hubert
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I wasn't handling DSM telemetry from the MPM using MULTI_TELEMETRY, I've just added it and posted a r822o that supports DSM telemetry.
This also improves handling the protocol names from the module, so you get a number displayed if there is no name.
If DSM telemetry works, but AFHDS telemetry doesn't at all, I'll need to investigate AFHDS further. I may get a suitable receiver to test what is happening.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer

HuWo

Post by HuWo »

Gimme a second :)
HuWo

Post by HuWo »

Hello,
same as before. The module is sending something, but the Tx cannot read what it is. I think it has to do with my MPM, let me first clarify things in this direction. Thanks for your efforts so far.
Hubert
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

If you get the MPM firmware revision displayed in the protocol menu, then the module is sending OK and the polarity and connection to the ATMEGA128 is OK.
If you get the protocol names appearing, after up to 0.5 seconds, then the MPM is correctly sending MULTI_TELEMETRY, not MULTI_STATUS.
I tested the er9x firmware on my 9x, although I have a '2561 processor, I did get DSM telemetry OK. This was with an atmel MPM module.
Make sure you have:
#define TELEMETRY
not commented in _config.h for the MPM.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
HuWo

Post by HuWo »

I get these informations only with the IA6B, The DSM Rx binds but stays quiet.
Telemetry is defined.
HuWo

Post by HuWo »

I get some values when I build the MPM FW with MULTI_STATUS and AFHDS_Hub (FrSky Format). No luck with MULTI_TELEMETRY. DSM and AFHDS behave the same.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'll look into building a special debug version that might show why you are not getting telemetry. It is odd you are not seeing DSM telemetry when I am!
Are you saying when you bind to the DSM Rx you do NOT get the protocol names appearing?

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
HuWo

Post by HuWo »

Yes. With AFHDS it makes a difference whether the MPM is configured to run Multi_Status or Multi_Telemetry. The first gives values but no protocol names, the second gives the names but no values. The telemetry protocol I took is FRSky.
DSM is a bit different. Multi_Status gives values, no protocol name, no version. Multi_Telemetry gives neither values nor name or version. Telemetry protocol is DSM.
Anyhow, I'll double-check this
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

When testing DSM telemetry using MULTI_TELEMETRY, leave the Usr Proto as FrSky. With MULTI_TELEMETRY set the telemetry is auto-detected.
I'll see if I can make the telemetry work even if you set the Usr Proto to DSM.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
HuWo

Post by HuWo »

Hello,
my focus is actually 100% on AFHDS only. I don't think I'll ever use the DSM Rx in the next future.
For the different MPM configs:
-Multi_Status and AFHDS_Hub protocols: DSM and AFHDS deliver RSSI and TSSI, allthough the values greatly differ. DSM has RvX, in this case it's 49 (looks a bit like the ultimate answer on all questions never asked).
-Multi_Telemetry and AFHDS_Hub: DSM is quite the same, only RxV drops to 28. AFHDS quits sending values. But: the TelRxCounter still reacts to whether a receiver is bound/connected or not. Blurring fast with a sending Rx, changing 3 times a second without one. MPM-FW and names displayed for both protocols.
- Multi_Telemetry and AFHDS_FW: DSM working as before (no protocol change). AFHDS still no values, furthermore the TelRxCounter doesn't change speed when I connect or disconnect a receiver (AFHDS only).

Hubert
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

My understanding with AFHDS telemetry is there are two types of data packet, a standard packet starting with 0xAA and an extended packet starting with 0xAC.
I'm currently only processing the standard packet, I'm looking up what the format of the extended packet actually is.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'm working through these problems. I don't want to change too many things at once!
I've posted a test version for the '128. This should fix the DSM RxV problem and value display.
I have, however, done a change to the AFHDS2A processing that might fix the operation when using MULTI_TELEMETRY.
The DSM using MULTI_TELEMETRY should also work even if you select "DSM" as the "Usr Proto" in the Telemetry menu. Having that selected does add an extra telemetry page specifically for DSM information.

I have still to add processing for extended AFHDS2A telemetry.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
HuWo

Post by HuWo »

Thanks, Mike. I'll give it a try.
And take your time, it should stay fun for all of us, means especially for you in this case.
Hubert
Timeless

Post by Timeless »

MikeB wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:20 pm So when you were using pin 2 it was all working correctly!
Mike

I have a couple of questions about the MPM telementry mod:
1. The pin on the processor should be pin2, which is listed as MOSI in the flashing tutorials?
2. What value should the series resistor have?
3. Do I need to cut the trace of pin5 in the module bay? (as shown in Oscar Liang's blogpost)
4. No other modifications are required? like soldering anything to pins 41/42? (as shown in Oscar Liang's blogpost)
5. Are there any pictures of this MPM telementry mod?

I decided to created my own topic, to help clarify the MPM telemetry mod install.
prathamkb

Post by prathamkb »

HI guys
i'm new to the forum
I wanted to know , how to set multi_telemetry in the MPM firmware
i have downloaded 1.3.1.59 stable version
i have done multiprotocol telemetry mod with jumper jp4in 1 module and testing with fs ia10b reciever

Return to “FRSky Telemetry Mods”