FrSky FAS-100 Telemetry Amperage Sensor

All mods related to the frsky telemetry series of the firmware
derFrickler

Post by derFrickler »

The new FrSky Current sensor is now available from Hobbyking

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ensor.html

I was wodering if this one is already supported by the er9x firmware?

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: FrSky FAS-100 Telemetry Amperage Sensor

Post by MikeB »

Not fully supported in er9x (yet). It recognises the value is present in the telemetry, and stores it ready for use, but nothing else processes and displays it (yet).
Another thing to put on my todo list!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
derFrickler

Post by derFrickler »

Yes, that sounds good!
If i see it right alle hub data values are written to the FrskyHubData structure.
Would it make sense to use/display the Amp-Sensor Voltage

0x3A Voltage(amp sensor) 0.5v 0-48V Before “.”
0x3B Voltage(amp sensor) After “.”

instead of the A1 or A2 values if the Amp-Sensor Voltage is present?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I think we will probably need these in addition to A1 and A2 as they may be used for other things. Not sure when I will be able to get around to this, many other things to do as well.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

FAS-100 display of current/max current/mAh is committed on open9x, thanks Bertrand :)

derFrickler

Post by derFrickler »

Damn, open9x sounds good, especially the FrSky Vario, but i got some models running on the er9x now...
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Easy to convert :). Simply download models via companion... Flash open9x, the upload the models :)

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?u5ecaj
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

...start by backing up the er9x eeprom directly to a file, and do a check after flashing, just in case ;)
derFrickler

Post by derFrickler »

Yes, that for sure, will test it the next days if i get time.
Romolo
9x Developer

Post by Romolo »

Fully supported in actual open9x
RightRudder

Post by RightRudder »

I am not geting any data from FAS-100. I tried with the hub and without hub. I know the telem is working as I can see data from alti sensor on hub. I set telem screen user data section for FAS current and voltage. I have two FAS-100 sensors brand new and they both behave the same. I am using a sky rev3 board and running FW rev 1947 of open9x. Am I doing something wrong? or is there a firmware problem?

Joe
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

So you do have the "Proto" set to "Hub" on the telemetry setup page, right?
RightRudder

Post by RightRudder »

Yes I tried it on hub when I used the hub and when ran the serial line direct from the FAS to the Rx I tried with hub and also with none.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

OK. It needs to be on Hub even with just the FAS100. Does the LED blink on the FAS100?

Sent via mobile
RightRudder

Post by RightRudder »

Yes both the FAS I tried have the LED blinking. I have to take my dog to the vet right now but later I can try with a scope and see if the port is putting anything out. I see a value being shown for A2 even though I have nothing connected to A2 input on rx. Do I need to set any range for A2 if I am using FAS?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

That is because A2 is not connect to anything. it's floating, so it will show some random value
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
RightRudder

Post by RightRudder »

Ok so here's the news. On my oscilloscope I can easily see the data coming out the telemetry port of the FAS-100. The strange thing is in between the packets the signal is 0v which to me looks like the serial data is not inverted ie not rs-232 logic. I can't read anything out of the data out which is supposed to go to the hub, probably it is open collector output and needs a pullup so I would have to do some more work to confirm this but if I am right about the telemetry port it doesn't make any sense since the D8RII+ rx should be getting inverted serial data on its input.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

RightRudder wrote:The strange thing is in between the packets the signal is 0v which to me looks like the serial data is not inverted ie not rs-232 logic.
That does sound right actually... a serial port is idle active. On RS232 "active" is -12V, but the frsky gear clamps to 0. So it matches.
RightRudder

Post by RightRudder »

Ok so I tried again with the hub. Maybe I had a cable not plugged correctly last night. This time though I get a voltage reading which makes sense, goes down when I open throttle but the current, power and power consumption still are wrong. Never see more than 0.2A on a motor that ca draw 55 amps at full throttle. Still does not work at all without the hub.
rainer

Post by rainer »

strange. i´ve tested it here with a FAS-100 i bought a couple of weeks ago. RS232 connected to D8R-II ( old version)
bat or esc site of the FAS-100 to a voltage source. and i directly get data in the Vfas field on my open9x . (r1947)
build your own vario ==> https://github.com/openXsensor/openXsensor/wiki (Formerly https://code.google.com/p/openxsensor/ and https://code.google.com/p/openxvario/)
Kilrah

Re: openXvario development

Post by Kilrah »

The data plug from the FAS-100 plugged backwards in the D8R-II+? ;)
RightRudder

Post by RightRudder »

Black wire to Rx G, Yellow wire to Rx on Rx. I know what could it be? It's kinda driving me nuts here. I even though about a ground loop, so tried just the yellow wire. Same. fas volt ok FAS amp nothing.
rainer

Post by rainer »

No Idea... it all works fine here.
FAS:
BAT- and + connected to my adjustable power supply
ESC- and + connected to a DC 4W LED bulb
the 3 pin connector form the FAS100 GND(blk) and TX(yel) connected to the side port of my D8R-II G and RX pins.
another power source to the D8R-II

open9X: telemetry from HUB, A1 and A2 are not configured at all (for both all values set o 0.00v)
Under UsrData: Proto=Hub;Voltage=FAS; Current=FAS ( works as well without voltage and current configured here.)

And i directly get telemetry data in the Vfas anfd Curr fields matching the voltage and current i produce.
no magic involved.
build your own vario ==> https://github.com/openXsensor/openXsensor/wiki (Formerly https://code.google.com/p/openxsensor/ and https://code.google.com/p/openxvario/)
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Same here, been using the current since the FAS was released last summer without issue... just tried on r1947 to be super sure.

One last possibility, did you solder plugs yourself to your FAS? If yes (and even if not, never bad to check) make sure you got the input and output right. If the 2 plugs are swapped and current runs backwards, while current will flow happily and without destroying anything the reading will stay at 0, it does NOT show negative values.
RightRudder

Post by RightRudder »

Yes I soldered the connectors myself but they are correct. I removed the shrink wrap and used my dvm to verify that a voltage is developed across the shunt when current is flowing. It is really strange. One thing I notice is that the label says FAS-100 but the silkscreen on the board says FAS-40 Rev 1.0 and date is 08.12.07. I could see one bad device but both my sensors are behaving the same. They are brand new from hobbyking just last week. I emailed Eva at frsky about this. Is it possible they are both some old stock with a problem or????

Edit: the date stamp is 12.08.07
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

RightRudder wrote:and used my dvm to verify that a voltage is developed across the shunt when current is flowing.
There won't be any, as it's not a shunt but a Hall effect sensor (measures the magnetic field caused by the current).

At some point we did have FAS-100s that reported wrong voltage, but never heard of your problem before.
RightRudder

Post by RightRudder »

Do you have a picture of this hall sensor? My sensor appears to have a shunt soldered in the red + line on both sides of the board. There is definitely a mv signal across the device as current is drawn. Here is top and bottom shots of what I have.
FAS-100_top.JPG
FAS-100_bottom.JPG
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Aha. Then that is really a FAS-40, NOT a FAS-100! The FAS-100 uses an Allegro hall effect sensor that looks like this:

But still, they should work the same on the radio AFAIK...
RightRudder

Post by RightRudder »

mmhhmmm. Why would hobbyking sell me a FAS-40 packaged as a FAS-100? I cut the heatshrink to expose the board but it is definitely labeled as a FAS-100 on the outside. Might have been a goof up at the factory. I wonder what happens when you put FAS-100 firmware in a FAS-40? That might explain everything. I wonder if it is possible to reflash the firmware through the serial port? At least I could have a couple of working FAS-40!
RightRudder

Post by RightRudder »

Oh man. I just surfed over to aloft and compared images of the FAS-40 and FAS-100. Check out the labels where it shows the ESC and battery connections. Just the opposite! It makes sense with what you said about not showing negative current. I think I only need to reverse my connectors and at least I can use them as 40 amp sensors. I'll be back....
Attachments
FAS-40.jpg
FAS-100.jpg

Return to “FRSky Telemetry Mods”