Model saving, loading etc

How to use eePe
PeterV

Model saving, loading etc

Post by PeterV »

First of all WOW!!!! What a set up for the TX. All the work done, and the way it is done. Really nice... fantastic! I am calculating how do you donate something 'worthy', yet not excessive. It could be worth hundreds! lol
I will get around to that after some mroe thought....

Meanwhile:
I don't seem to be able to find information about exactly how to save and load the model information - mainly with regards to firmware upgrading.
You would think it is simple and straightforward, and maybe it is.... lol... but not seeming intuitive to me.

I was going to upgrade the firmware, so I loaded EEPE and tried to work out how to save my model data so I would not lose it.
"Hmmm, let's see.... FILE / LOAD & SAVE model settings were both greyed out, so that must not be it."

"Read EEPROM from TX", sounds promising, but better check more in case....

"Read EEPROM memory to file"... also sounds promising....

"Read Flash Memory", sounds like just the frmware portion.

"Read EEPROM memory to file" prompted me to save a bin or hex file. Well that could be right, or maybe not quite right sounding, but I will do it anyway. So I did that.

"Read EEPROM from TX", I did this and saw the model in EEPE, that looks good but what to do with that now? Hmmm, the FILE / LOAD & SAVE model settings are now active so that makes sense. I will save the model setting - which was the aim. It saves it as a EEPG, not that I would know what file extensions were chosen for what reason, at least back then.

Flash firmware.... now how to reload the models. Plus, would they even work on a newer firmware? Maybe parameters were changed and then they won't even work properly, or at all, anymore?
Anyway, let's Load model settings. Oh, they are ghosted again, so now I can't load that saved info back in, Maybe I need a firmware file loaded? How? There is no way to do that, only a way to flash it to the TX.
So how will I load the saved model file back in??? I loaded the eeprom from tx, to see what was in there now, and then used the FILE / LOAD & SAVE model setting to load the prior saved eepg file in.
But nothing changes. The model info - nothing but a basic one - is actually in the window it had opened for General Settings.

So I had no way to get the saved data back into the TX.

For a test I made a new model, then saved the TX eeprom file. Then cleared the TX and then loaded that eeprom file to the TX. That worked in getting the model back. So maybe that is what I had needed to do in the very first place?
But that is not very clear, and more so the FILE / LOAD & SAVE model settings leads you away from doing that final way, and also the load/save eeprom might not even be the right way - I don't know. But it seems to work, this time anyway.

Is there some clear outline of what to do for this saving and reloading of models to the TX?
I can't find anything listed anywhere.
Thanks.

wheelspinner20

Re: Model saving, loading etc

Post by wheelspinner20 »

It sounds like you started to get a handle on it with your test. Just a quick question though, if you are refering to models that you had saved in the stock firmware setup... there is no way to save those are they are a different configuration. Once you have the models set up in er9x, yes, there is a way to update firmware without loosing the model settings.

The yellow round button with the lightning bolt on it is for setting fuses and it allows the eeprom (model files) to be saved and re-loaded when the firmware is updated.

There is a 9x wiki button in black print, at the top of this forum window. The wiki is being populated now with how-to's, that part of eepe is not quite done yet. I'm sure it will be soon.

Hope that helps
no more quippy little latin phrases.! Its old
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Thanks for that info.
Yes, I am doing this all on er9x firmware(s).
So you just set the Fuse (The yellow round button with the lightning bolt on it) and then the models are protected for the flash? Does it need to be un-fused ever? Or the fuse just means 'do not mess up the eeprom'?
And do you ever need to do that again? Each time? Or does it mark the eeprom as protected forever (or at least until reversed)?

What does happen if a newer firmware version 'needs' some alteration to the model data format? I guess it will be listed in the changes and then maybe the models must be lost?

When I did the 'eeprom to file' and then 'file back to eeprom', is there any issue with doing that? It seemed to work.
But if the Fuse way is the best way then I will do that from now on.

Boy can it take ages to set up a complex model!! With all these new abilities it is awesome.... but a lot more to do to set it up that way too!
At least now I can set up any model to EXACTLY the way I want everything to interact!! I had the stuff to do this a few monbths ago, but never made the time - plus I waited for another T9X to arrive, in case I fried my main one. But it all went so easily and without a hitch that I wish I had just done it way back then!
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Thanks for that info.
But does the Fuse function mean it will still have the models after re-flashing?

I assume the EEPROM is purely settings and all the model data? Thus if you save the EEPROM out to file then you are saving everything. And then putting it all back when you Write EEPROM to Memory again alter(?).
Is it ok to do it like that? Or is there a possible issue with data layout of the EEPROM changing per firmware?
With the complexity you can program in, it is not much fun losing all the models you have done! LOL. A few hours of setups vaporised on the first boo-boo over how to make it really work - and even now I am not 100% sure it is the right, or best, way.
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

The 'set fuse' just protects the eeprom data, the models and your settings during a firmware update.

You can write to the eeprom seperately, that is not determined by the fuse settings. You tell it to write the eeprom data, it writes the eeprom data, protection fuse set or not.

So in short - fuse set - eeprom protected on firmware update only.

If you want to erase y our eeprom, just create a new blank eeprom file in eepe and write it.

cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

You can always read your eeprom and save it befor eyou do anything. SO you have a backup , just in case.
erazz
9x Developer

Post by erazz »

The flash fuses button makes it so your models are not erased when you update the firmware.

The best way to save a model is "read EEPROM from TX" (notation soon to be changed)
Z

BEWARE - WE ARE IN THE AIR!!!
What goes up... Should be controlled by a 9X!

Return to “eePe”