Big Problem with my 9xtreme radio.

jhsa

Re: Big Problem with my 9xtreme radio.

Post by jhsa »

wow, if they are selling the 9x with that cr*p then the 9x radio is dead, unless you change the chip or install a new board.
I wonder if the chip would work reliably with the code the 9xtreme flashes to it :o

But anyway, one person testing is not enough..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

If it is that lgt-semi (Green) company making it, then there may be problems with the EEPROM. I looked at the MEGA88 clone they do. That says it has 504 bytes of Data Flash instead of 512 bytes of EEPROM, and you have to wait a couple of clock cycles after doing the read before the data is available!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
OctavioS

Post by OctavioS »

Yes, the atmega 2561 chip. Definitely I will replace. For what i read it's even worst than I thought. I also think that they are using these chips because it's more than enough for this radio with the default configuration and stock firmware.
2x - Turnigy 9X with 9xtreme board;
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Frsky Taranis & Taranis +;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
Radiomaster TX16S Max mark II.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

MikeB wrote:If it is that lgt-semi (Green) company making it, then there may be problems with the EEPROM. I looked at the MEGA88 clone they do. That says it has 504 bytes of Data Flash instead of 512 bytes of EEPROM, and you have to wait a couple of clock cycles after doing the read before the data is available!

Mike.
Mike, that would mean one less model only compared to the original Atmel chip, right?

Is this reading problem a big one? Would that mean, in case you could adapt the code, building the HEX files for this as well??

Thanks

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

A change to make reading the EEPROM work would be quite easy, but there are some other possible changes as well. The '88 clone also requires you to write to registers to select the crystal oscillator, rather than choose it using the Fuses.

The board appears to be on backorder again, so I can't even consider getting one to investigate!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

The other question is how reliable these chips are :(

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Anyone tried flashing er9x to one of these?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
birdman

Post by birdman »

Hello Joao or Bob,
Is there a youtube video of how to do the horizontal digital ground trim fix? The links to the photos are totally confusing and not clear at all. If no video is available can someone seriously consider making one? It appears that this fix is really necessary to fix the 9x radio for both Atmega 64 & 128 boards according to all the notes I've been reading. From the photos I've seen this is the most complicated fix of all the fixes available in these threads. The intermittency of this problem makes the 9x radio a non starter and will force people to dump it and purchase newer radios. If you've put in so much time & energy into this radio via code work and hardware work for the last 5 years then making a video would be a good investment for the future of the 9x radio.
Thanks, Birdman
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi birdman,
I do not believe there is a video for the Horizontal Trim change to the Digital Ground fix mod.
I do this mod to all the 9x radios which are in the RC group that I am in and I do this mod to help ensure that our 9x radios will not have a rebooting problem when flying.
This is NOT the fix for the freezing-up problem with the 9Xtreme upgrade board installed, which I believe is only happening to a few 9xtreme radios.
Not everyone has had the rebooting problem happen to them, only a few 9x radios, I believe, which have had this problem.
If you do not have this problem then it is an optional mod to do.
I have only seen one 9x radio with this problem.
I have added some more info to the way I do this mod by adding a wire from where the Digital Ground comes from the white plug to the Horizontal Trim board.
I hope this will help, see here for the update info: (viewtopic.php?f=95&t=3594&p=69475#p69475).
If you decide to do this mod, we can help you with do this mod.

Added: My electrical power is out :x (small light rain storm) for several hours or so, I will be off line until it returns.

Bob B.
Last edited by bob195558 on Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
birdman

Post by birdman »

Hello Bob195558,
Thanks for your clarification on the rebooting problem. I have two 9x radios with the 9Xtreme add-on boards installed & haven't had a reboot in 2 years so it appears not to be a game changer for me. Nor, do I have the freeze problem. However, I'll follow your link and attempt the digital grounding workaround. If I run into a problem I'll let you know.
Regards, Birdman
OctavioS

Post by OctavioS »

MikeB wrote:Anyone tried flashing er9x to one of these?

Mike.
Not me and i think i will skip that. I can offer you one though. PM if you are intrested.
2x - Turnigy 9X with 9xtreme board;
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Frsky Taranis & Taranis +;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
Radiomaster TX16S Max mark II.

Return to “9Xtreme upgrade board”