Long(er) Model Names with ErSky9x (with 9Xtreme board)

whobby

Long(er) Model Names with ErSky9x (with 9Xtreme board)

Post by whobby »

Hi,
I seem to recall to have seen on some google/internet picture, a 9X TX (if memory serves, it was a Turnigy one) with er9x showing long model names (on a model selection screen). By long i mean longer that 8 character that i'm able to add to my models right now.

Question is, are i'm missing something or failing to set some specific option, to be able to use longer model names?

Thanks and sorry if this was asked and answered, but my search for long model names and related terms did not bring me any suitable answer.
Regards.
-wm

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Long(er) Model Names with ErSky9x (with 9Xtreme board)

Post by MikeB »

Model names have been, and still are, a maximum of 10 characters on both er9x and ersky9x.
Partly because they are displayed in double size characters on the main display and anything longer will not fit.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

actually er9x seems to use a different and smaller font with much nicer characters that still didn't make its way to ersky9x?? ;) :mrgreen:

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
OctavioS

Post by OctavioS »

MikeB wrote:Model names have been, and still are, a maximum of 10 characters on both er9x and ersky9x.
Partly because they are displayed in double size characters on the main display and anything longer will not fit.

Mike.
Is there a change of making the model name roll/slide right to left?
2x - Turnigy 9X with 9xtreme board;
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Frsky Taranis & Taranis +;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
Radiomaster TX16S Max mark II.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Making the model names longer than 10 characters would require a change to the EEPROM structure as the name needs to be the first item in the structure. It would also then mean quite a few changes to eepskye as that would need to support the new structure as well as the old one, and be able to convert between them.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

OctavioS

Post by OctavioS »

Damn, not worth the rework.
2x - Turnigy 9X with 9xtreme board;
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Frsky Taranis & Taranis +;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
Radiomaster TX16S Max mark II.
whobby

Post by whobby »

MikeB wrote:Making the model names longer than 10 characters would require a change to the EEPROM structure as the name needs to be the first item in the structure. It would also then mean quite a few changes to eepskye as that would need to support the new structure as well as the old one, and be able to convert between them.

Mike.

Hi Mike,
Thanks for your comments/explanation.

And you're right about it being 10char long, sorry for the mistake. I got confused about a problem I was trying to solve (did it yesterday)during almost two days, where my TX was "reloading/rebooting or presenting some other very weird situation, like loading another model, not the one i selected." as soon as i selected a specific model. Long story short, i had added some audio files with the model name/identification, using the eepskye, and was using long file names, not the 8.3 (MS-DOS/FAT) standard. It was working fine on another model, so i din't suspect on that at the begging. It probably has to do with some string copy/move operation that is not checking the memory boundaries and so overwriting other vital information. How could/should i report this as a possible bug? Does the ersky9x have something link a bugzilla or the like?

Regards.
-wm
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

To report such a problem, please start an issue here: https://github.com/MikeBland/mbtx, giving as much detail of what you did to cause the problem.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

Return to “9Xtreme upgrade board”