9Xtreme V2? Or Discontinued?

s_mack

9Xtreme V2? Or Discontinued?

Post by s_mack »

Hello folks!

Stock is getting a little low and it is decision time. Make another batch (in which case, what changes should we make)? Or call it quits?

I am wondering if we've hit the "everyone who wants one, has one" mark. Sales have slowed dramatically in the past few week, but that might just be an anomaly. There has also been a downward trend for almost 3 months... and that is heading into the US's peak flying season so it isn't really what I'd want to see.

Therefore, I am leaning to discontinuation but I'm happy to read your thoughts.

jhsa

Re: 9Xtreme V2? Or Discontinued?

Post by jhsa »

1 - Fix the reverse polarity protection circuit.
2 - put a resistor on both PPM and PPM2 pins of the processor
3 - move the data lines away from the audio lines.

I'm sure you already had these on your list? :mrgreen:
I'm sure I will remember a few more ;) :)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
don9f

Post by don9f »

Hi, I was thinking about ordering a second 9Xtreme board to modify another 9X I have that still has a rev 2.4 programmer board plus Telemetrez board installed.....all working ok.
I would definitely be interested in a "V2" 9xtreme with those mods mentioned, but totally understand your situation. If you do decide to cease production, I'd just hope to be able to get another "V1" before they all go!

Cheers Don
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Steven, one thing You should keep on version 2 is the brilliant sound quality of the actual 9xtreme..
I have been listening to music all day on it,and I love it :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I have a good speaker on it, but a good amp certainly helps..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
orejass

Post by orejass »

Well, it all depends on how much stock you have left...

bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi Steven,
I have been thinking about when your stock would be getting low.
I really would like to see a new (I have a 9x waiting for it) 9Xtreme-Pro2 upgrade board.

Need a Wish List for the NEW 9Xtreme-Pro2 Upgrade Board !.

1) 4 Comports: two for FrSky Telemetry so to be able to choose internal / external modules
and so able to choose in Model Setting to use serial D-Series (TX and RX wires) or S.Port wire Telemetry connections
(XJT module able to switch between D-Series or S.Port Telemetry).
Another Comport for Bluetooth and the another for radio GPS or WiFi.

2) more inputs /outputs for more switches and adding 3 position switches.

3) Haptic connection.

4) upgrade Sound

5) display Screen

6) Reverse Current Protection

7) PPM Protection

8) More Powerful Processor

9) more power outputs.

Add more to this wish list ! :D

Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

We have the 4 stick inputs and 8 trim switch inputs to the original board, do you really need more connections?
Haptic is already present.
The processor is already powerful, and under-used, what would a more powerful processor be needed for?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Maybe include a haptic driver on the board? it would make it easy for people to install it, and less chances to mess things up in case they build the circuit incorrectly..

Yeah, there are more than enough pins I believe. :)

Mike's implementation allowing for using the I2C bus as COM3 is excellent and a life saver. It allows us to connect a Bluetooth module without losing COM2 that can be used for the telemetry of a second RF module.
I do agree that if possible there should be a third COM port on the board without having to touch the I2C port.
For me the current setup works good, but in the future we never know if there will be the need to use the I2C for some sensors for example..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

I'd be in for two version 2 boards, i have had heaps of fun with the first one.
but you will need quite a few more to make it worth your while.

love this one, so thank you.
ksrivatsan

Post by ksrivatsan »

2x12mm screws would be a welcome addition- I had to rush out to the hardware store to get a few.

Perhaps OpenTx support??

Other than that, the 9Xtreme is pretty cool.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Opentx support will depend only on the opentx developers.. :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
mmilan

Post by mmilan »

I just ordered a fourth board to upgrade my fourth 9x. A version 2 sounds good, but I wonder if the market is becoming saturated. From a business point of view I understand if you need to discontinue. I hope not, but with four Txs now upgraded unless there were very significant upgrades I and maybe most would not replace the existing boards. On the other hand, during flying season I do not spend much time modifying gear. Repairs from mishaps takes up too much time. Hopefully there is enough demand to keep production going ( with the above mentioned upgrades).
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

10) Another significant upgrades for a 9Xtreme-Pro2 Board could be a front 9x case which moves the display screen
to the top of the 9x radio and have an option to upgrade to a larger display Screen (like the Taranis).
Being many 3D printers are to small to make a full size front 9x radio case, it could be made in two pieces and then glued together.
lancaster

Post by lancaster »

Hi Steven

I dont think the Turnigy 9X is in widespread use in the UK but there might be more customers to come if people were made aware of the great combination of the 9X, the Extreme board and Ersky9X.

I notice that HobbyKing are now selling the T9X package (Tx,module & Rx) in both the European and UK warehouses at attractive prices ( although this is on back order in the UK). This was previously not available in the UK so demand might be driving this move.

I feel that people are beginning to realize that the big brand radios are not giving value for money or flexibility and so are looking towards alternatives, eg the Taranis and hopefully the 9xtreme.

I guess you know there are some new restrictions on the Frsky firmware due to EU directives - these can be sidestepped using the T9x and Ersky9X.

Clearly the sales of the 9Xtreme can only mirror the sales of the 9x. I wonder what plans HK have for this radio?
Although I guess they wish to promote the 9XPRO this combination of the 9X and Extreme could be the DIY alternative

Could the decision to produce another batch be delayed until later in the year to see if 9X sales continue to hold up?

Would it be better to rerun the batch with no major mods to make cost savings in production?

I really love my 9xtreme and would hate to see it discontinued.

regards
Hans
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Thanks for the feedback.

First, I don't really see a "V2" as being something sold to existing 9Xtreme owners. I'm sure a few would buy it, but I don't think the majority would see it as a big enough benefit to justify re-purchase. From my perspective, I have to view those few as a "bonus". And really, it wouldn't be a "V2" anyway... it would be a "V1.2" as we're only looking at minor improvements. I didn't really mean to imply there would be more or different features, just fixes or tweaks.

The question of whether or not to continue comes down to why sales have dropped. Is it saturated? If so, then the answer is clear... stop. Is it too expensive? I might be able to do something about that, particularly if there are ZERO changes. And/or, if we lose the backlight (I've never really seen any feedback that people like it as much as I figured they would, and it wasn't that cheap to provide). If I ditch the fancy packaging I can shave a little off, although now we're nickel and dime-ing. Do we somehow think that if the price were half what it was that I would suddenly move 5000 units? I kind of doubt it. I think we're - more or less - just getting to the point of "whoever wants one, has one". The extreme drop-off in 9X forum activity over the past year probably has a huge role in this too.

I'm not whining. I'm shocked the 9X has sustained for this long. I'm just in a precarious position on this. My Rev 2.x boards sold FAR more numbers than I initially expected, but I didn't make a whole lot on each one so that really funded the 9Xtreme build... which has just about broken even. If I do another batch, I'm in the red and with dropping expectation of making that back.

Sales picked up this last week, which is encouraging... but the first batch was 1000 units and I've sold 10 in this last week. Let's say that continues... that's 100 weeks, or about 2 years, to get through another batch - and that's assuming sales don't drop at all!

I hate to say it, but I think I've answered my own question :(

Also weighing on this is the SP Basic. That actually out-sold the SP Basic by quite a margin over the last few months. About a month ago, I saw that I was about 6 weeks from running out so I ordered another 1000 kits. I think that was a mistake. Demand has since dropped considerably so that ate up a bunch of capital that would have gone to the 9Xtreme re-order. Doing the right thing* is also going to impact the situation.

In any event. All options are still on the table. I'm just not sure how it is going to play out. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR SUPPORT, whatever happens.

* "doing the right thing"... My cockiness with the first batch of SP Basics had me order them without getting prototypes - since it was just a simpler version of my Rev 2.X boards. That bit me in the arse, as there were three significant flaws with it. One was fixed by the factory, one was tolerated by the customers, and the last was only noticed by a small number. I don't feel right about it though, as it simply doesn't meet my own quality standards. Even though I've sold them at a discount with the acknowledgement of the problems... I think I'm going to send out free replacements to make it right. That hurts the pockets, but I strongly believe that doing right by my customers comes before my own profits. That's just how I believe businesses should be run.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I do like the RGB backlight a lot. When i'm tired of one color, I just change it to something else. We just need some better way of controlling it, to work with alarms,etc.
Steven, I think the 9xtreme doesn't really need new features, only those little fixes, and the odd resistor here and there that we know would improve things..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
sberri

Post by sberri »

Well, my 9Xtreme equipped 9x went for an uplanned swim in my pool late yesterday afternoon and joined the many cell phones and pagers ( remember those???) that have met their ends in that same black abyss. Hopefully you'll have something left next month. I've already depleted this month's slush fund on other items I "had" to have. Lol.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

I purchased another board, for my wife's 9x, since stocks are low, thanks for the warning :)
lancaster

Post by lancaster »

Hi Steven
I am planning to order a second board in the next few weeks
regards
Hans
OctavioS

Post by OctavioS »

One thing i dont get is why so many versions for the SP board and the will to terminate the 9xtreme board?
2x - Turnigy 9X with 9xtreme board;
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Frsky Taranis & Taranis +;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
Radiomaster TX16S Max mark II.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

SP had steady demand for a long time while 9XT sales went down quickly?
OctavioS

Post by OctavioS »

ok, it makes some sense.
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
lancaster

Post by lancaster »

Hi Guys

Now Hobbyking are finally selling the 9X including RX and module in the UK for a great price , lets hope people realise what a bargin it is - especially when fitted out with the 9Xtreme and Ersky firmware

and also lets hope sales of the 9xtreme then pick up

I for one will be getting a second 9Xtreme soon

regards
Hans
OctavioS

Post by OctavioS »

It shows regular price to me at the UK warehouse, can you send the link?
lancaster wrote:Hi Guys

Now Hobbyking are finally selling the 9X including RX and module in the UK for a great price , lets hope people realise what a bargin it is - especially when fitted out with the 9Xtreme and Ersky firmware

and also lets hope sales of the 9xtreme then pick up

I for one will be getting a second 9Xtreme soon

regards
Hans
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
lancaster

Post by lancaster »

octavios
sorry to get you exited but I thought £55.83 was a great price!
regards
hans
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Certainly not... the 9XR-Pro is however on sale and even cheaper at £53.19!!
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

I would like (hope) to see a new version-2 9Xtreme board. :D
But if there is not enough sale's projected to support it, then it can not happen. :(
I believe it has not even been a whole year yet, that the 9Xtreme has been available.

Bob B.
OctavioS

Post by OctavioS »

lancaster wrote:octavios
sorry to get you exited but I thought £55.83 was a great price!
regards
hans
It is, if i didnt had to pay hi postage price, another plus is no customs. If it was cheaper i would buy, but from Uk to PT its ~35£ plus just in postage. too much.
Kilrah wrote:Certainly not... the 9XR-Pro is however on sale and even cheaper at £53.19!!
I also agree that for the price is far better to purchase the 9xr pro.
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
lancaster

Post by lancaster »

Kilrah wrote:Certainly not... the 9XR-Pro is however on sale and even cheaper at £53.19!!

But the 9X comes with a module and receiver that can be easily modified by replacing the TX antenna with the antenna on whatever module is selected

This gives a much more adaptable final product when using ERsky and the 9Xtreme board with a choice of modules and Rxs eg Frsky, Orange DSMX, Turnigy/Hobbyking

As you can see I'm converted !
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

You're blinding yourself yes ;)

The 9XR-Pro doesn't come with the module and receiver (but that's a good thing since those that come with the 9x are better seen in the trash than controlling models...) but has the same module slot, and supports the same modules with all functionality out of the box without needing mods...

Return to “9Xtreme upgrade board”