Binding Turnigy 9X-9Xtreme to FrSky D4R-II

Rochester

Post by Rochester »

I'm an old man playing a young man's game here - but would appreciate any guidance you might provide. Can provide a photo of my dog-eared manuals and browser history if proof of due-diligence is needed.

Note: I've brought the motors up to speed using Cleanflight - but have never installed the propellers. Just so you know where I am with the build.

Hopefully this is summarized enough - but provides the key info. This is my first build - I bought the FrSky D4R-II along with the FrSky DIY DHT 2.4 module (with all the wires - not the module that you pop in the back) and a Turnigy 9X.

At no point did I knowingly attempt to bind any of it.

I put the FrSky DIY DHT 2.4 into the Turnigy 9X. I surface mounted the little red light/binding button and also mounted the 3 way switch which I have planned on leaving in the center position.

I thought I could wire the mod that would allow me to update the firmware on the 9X but gave up trying to solder the wires to the surface mounted chip/pins. On the bright side - I now have a bunch of resisters that I have no use for.

I bought and installed the SmartieParts 9XTREME. The biggest question there was where to plug the two wires that lead to the FrSky DIY DHT "package". I believe I connected them to the proper Rx and Tx on the side of the package. Mr. Steven Morehouse could do the world a humongous favor by having another installation walkthrough with a Turnigy 9X that has the FrSky DIY DHT already installed.

I flashed what I believe to be the latest version of ERSKY9X. No issues - powers up. Don't get errors.

There was one thing - super dumb - that is very, very easy to fix - in that I put a clover antenna on the 9X rather than my video Rx.

I went to BIND the Tx to the Rx. I'd turn on the Rx while holding the button. Sometimes it would come on just red. Others red & green. When it came on red and I turned on the Tx, the light would turn green (which I believe means the two are talking on some level). When I then go to the protocol menu, PXX, 8CH and put the cursor on "BIND" and press the Menu button for a second or two - the screen displays "BINDING" and the unit beeps every few seconds. There is no evidence that it ever binds.

I can ALSO - go the route of trying to bind with the button that came with the FRsky DIY DHT. It will still light up, blink fast, blink slow....but not bind.

Can someone give me some direction here? Any photos I could post that would be helpfull?

jhsa

Re: Binding Turnigy 9X-9Xtreme to FrSky D4R-II

Post by jhsa »

With the DHT you need to set the protocol to PPM, not PXX. You CANNOT bind the DHT and RX from the protocol menu as you would do with the XJT module.
To bind the D4R-II RX, turn pressing the DHT's binding button. The RX LED should now be blinking indicating it bound.
Turn both OFF and ON again. They should be connected..

João

EDIT: Make sure the DHT's 3 position switch is in the middle position.
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Or just remove the switch. It's only needed if you want to use receivers in the old V8 mode. The center position corresponds to OFF.
Rochester

Post by Rochester »

I'm feeling as useless as Anne Frank's drum set. Still no binding. Looking at a manual from HobbyKing I see, "(For the two-way
mode, make sure that both switches on the transmitter module are OFF)". What switches would they be referring to??
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi Rochester,
Have you connected your DHT module to the 9Xtreme Expansion Grid pads 7, 8, 9 :?:
Which then in your 9Xtreme radio go to Protocol menu where you would making your Protocol setting for the internal module: PPM / D8.
Some more info here: (viewtopic.php?f=126&t=7771&p=113616#p113616).

Bob B.
Last edited by bob195558 on Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).

Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Rochester wrote:Looking at a manual from HobbyKing I see, "(For the two-waymode, make sure that both switches on the transmitter module are OFF)". What switches would they be referring to??
For the DHT, the toggle switch replaces the DIP switches.
Last edited by Daedalus66 on Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Toggle Switch to center position.
Toggle Switch to center position.
DHT Module Telemetry settings.zip
Instruction Telemetry Manual for FrSky Module.
(82.08 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
DHT Module manual.pdf
DHT Module Manual
(83.61 KiB) Downloaded 290 times
Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

The plug in modules have 2 dip switches. That is what the directions are referring to. In the case of the diy, your toggle switch goes in the middle for a telemetry type rx (which you have).
To bind start with both the tx and rx off. Then while holding the rx button, power up the rx. Then hold the button for the diy (next to the led) and power on the tx. They should now be bound. Power of both, then next time power them on without holding any buttons.
-Gohst

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Return to “9Xtreme upgrade board”