USB extender socket

Kenni

USB extender socket

Post by Kenni »

Hi

After reading up on some of the rather complex mods submitted here, I'd like to log my somewhat simpler effort in the form of a USB extender socket for my brand new beloved Flysky 9x upgraded with the fabulous 9xtreme board. I searched the forum and this doesn't seem to have been submitted before..

Rapidly approaching 60, with sausage fingers and just getting used to opening and closing my 9x to accommodate a Frsky DJT module, LiFe battery et al, I got a little frustrated having to keep disconnecting that little fiddly red USB cable that connected the 9xtreme to the USB socket in my battery compartment, so I decided to do summat about it...
Standard USB extension cable
Standard USB extension cable
The businees end
The businees end
Ascertain USB pin config with simple continuity test
Ascertain USB pin config with simple continuity test
DOUBLE CHECK - mistakes do happen....
DOUBLE CHECK - mistakes do happen....
Mount USB socket
Mount USB socket
Solder and heatshrink connections
Solder and heatshrink connections
Route simple cable avoiding DC power socket
Route simple cable avoiding DC power socket
USB Installed
USB Installed
All connected and working
All connected and working
I had to butcher the supplied red cable as I couldn't find the connector needed. That would have made the installation a bit neater, but it works perfectly and I can easily fold open my 9x for more fiddling :-)

If anyone can advise me on the connector I'd be grateful. Cheerio!!

jhsa

Re: USB extender socket

Post by jhsa »

Very Nice.. ;) :D

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Kenni wrote:I got a little frustrated having to keep disconnecting that little fiddly red USB cable that connected the 9xtreme to the USB socket in my battery compartment
The idea is the red cable is left connected to the 9Xtreme, and the PCB the micro USB connector is mounted on slots into the end of the battery bay. To connect you just remove the battery cover and plug in.

A neat mod all the same.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

This is how I did it.. Yours look better.. ;) :)

João
Attachments
20151113_202622.jpg
20151113_202537.jpg
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Kenni

Post by Kenni »

MikeB wrote:
Kenni wrote:I got a little frustrated having to keep disconnecting that little fiddly red USB cable that connected the 9xtreme to the USB socket in my battery compartment
The idea is the red cable is left connected to the 9Xtreme, and the PCB the micro USB connector is mounted on slots into the end of the battery bay. To connect you just remove the battery cover and plug in.

A neat mod all the same.

Mike.
... which is generally how I had installed the original USB socket, but each time I wanted to take the back off my Flysky fully to access the internals, either the bigger loom on the right or the USB cable on the left had to be disconnected from the 9xtreme, no??

Maybe I'm missing something..

s_mack

Post by s_mack »

No, you're right. I think most people probably wouldn't consider that too much of a burden since (hopefully) one isn't opening up the case more than a couple times. But for future, I think I will try to design it so it can be left plugged in while the two halves are laying open.
Kenni

Post by Kenni »

Thanks s_mack, maybe most do not intend to be fiddling inside their devices too much, but an internal XJT module and some extra switches are looking like the next mods I'll tackle. For complete noobs like me it really is a rather steep learning curve (made all the more exciting with the mods logged by members like jhsa..) so for me personally this USB mod made sense.

Return to “9Xtreme upgrade board”