9Xtreme Telemetry with OrangeRX

lancaster

9Xtreme Telemetry with OrangeRX

Post by lancaster »

Hi Guys

I notice that HK have just launched the Orange DSMX receiver R620X - this provides telemetry at a reasonably low price.

I have successfully used the 9X with Orange DSMX receivers and the Orange module.

I guess I can use the Orange module in the 9Xtreme but my question is - is possible to use the Orange module and the new R620Xb receiver to access the telemetry function ?

Are we limited to Frysky and Wing Shadow protocols?

regards
Hans

s_mack

Re: 9Xtreme Telemetry with OrangeRX

Post by s_mack »

As it is the most popular, the system was certainly designed with FrSky in mind and for my part, that's all I used for development. I have absolutely no experience with Orange products at all. With that said, I imagine it *can* be supported. Hardware modification may be necessary and I imagine firmware modification is likely necessary. Orange seems to have a reputation of copying others' tech... so perhaps they straight-up copied FrSky :lol: That would be convenient.

So really, the answer is, "I don't know"
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

As far as I'm aware, the only 'Orange' Tx module that supports telemetry is this one: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ible_.html.
Hardware wise, it is designed to fit the 9XR-PRO, which has an antenna in the handle and this module has a special antenna connector to use it.
It should be possible to 'hack' the module to use a normal antenna, I did with the early prototype although I believe the production versions are mechanically a bit different. Ersky9x firmware does support this module, although I'm not sure if I did test it on a 9Xtreme.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
lancaster

Post by lancaster »

Hi Guys

Thanks for the interesting replies

It seems that Frsky, although potentially more costly, is the tried and tested route for telemetry

I guess I need to think a bit deeper into the complications of the Orange option

regards
Hans
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Yes. FrSky is a mature and well tested system, now in its second generation. Orange is new.

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I just tried the prototype module on the 9Xtreme. I found a couple of bugs that stopped it working, but I've fixed them, so now it binds and works correctly to a R615X with add on telemetry unit, including the telemetry.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
lancaster

Post by lancaster »

Thanks Mike

Thats a good step forward giving 9Xtreme users more telemetry options

Does it require a firmware update and/or the switching of any protocol settings?

Now we will have to see what modifications are needed to aerial connection on the production module and also how the latest telemetry receiver performs

regards
Hans
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Yes, you will need a firmware update to include the fixes I've just added to the source code.
I will be posting a test version that has these in soon.

The prototype and production (pre-production?) versions I have include a connector on the PCB for the antenna connector.
The DSM telemetry is already supported for this module.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
lancaster

Post by lancaster »

Thanks for the reply Mike

I will look into it - although unfortunately the module has been on back order at HK for some time

regards
Hans

Return to “9Xtreme upgrade board”