OK, let's document this!

SuperFlyLoser

Re: OK, let's document this!

Post by SuperFlyLoser »

Hello, Firstly I would like to thank everyone involved in the Dev of the 9Xtreme. My humble 9X has become an awesome tool that I love to use and look forward to many years on the sticks with the 9Xtreme.

Things I would like to see are documentation on the basics. I've tried to go to the ERSKY9X for the 9XR radio and its been of some help, but info is limited and scattered all over forums. The things that pop to my mind at the moment are, setting up mixes (ail w/ rud), getting telemetry working, how to select voices for different types of switches and actions (to include telemetry).

Just a note: I have all those working on my radio I just thought it would have been helpful getting it up and running sooner. Thank you again for an awesome upgrade to my 9X!!!

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

For that you will have to wait for the new Ersky9x manual that is being writen at this moment, unless someone wants to write some guides of course ;) It might take a while.
Ersky9x also runs in a few platforms, it is not exclusive to the 9xtreme, therefore you will find most of the discussions about it in the relevant threads.

The problem to make a complete guide on how to connect telemetry is that not everybody use the same telemetry system. There isn't only the frsky telemetry on the market. And then there are the frsky sensors, the openXsensor project, and other third party sensors. It is very difficult to write a complete guide to all of them.
So that information you need to get from the place you got the sensor from I believe..
João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

That's where a wiki will become very helpful, moreso than a forum. As long as it is logically structured, it should allow people to continue to add guides for every little thing so others can drill down to what they need without being bogged down in stuff they don't. It also allows ANYONE to author a guide so it isn't reliant on a few people getting it done.

I'm working on finding a wiki platform that I want to use. I'll set up the "bones" and then we can all get to work filling it in. It will be moderated and there will be expectations that people follow a certain structure to keep it readable, accurate and consistent.
9XTremist

Post by 9XTremist »

For some reason I got the impression that when it said "let's document this", Steven was writing a manual or guide for the 9XTreme board only. I personally feel that it is undesirable to have 9XTreme documentation contain other platform information. Ersky9x may be on a lot of platforms but the 9XTreme only uses Ersky9x. (out of the box at least)
How to hook up telemetry with any module that can be used with the 9XTreme board should be documented both how to physically and how to in the software, How to do anything that applies to the 9XTreme board and Ersky9x together should be documented as per the Developers opinion and others mods and ideas while valuable should be separate. While I am grateful to others ideas and mods and to those that have written the previous manuals (that's the only thing that got me this far) it would be nice to read documentation that only applied to the 9XTreme board and Ersky9x as they work together
PLEASE, to any that might be offended or not agree, this is just an opinion.
If you think that musical sounds come from ESC's
then you probably believe that "Star Trek" was
filmed on "Remote Location"
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

That is the thing. Not only the 9XT uses ersky9x. Even on the 9extreme very little stuff is different from the other boards as far as er9x is concerned. Nigel and I, we are writing the new Ersky9x manual as we also did for the different flavours of er9x, that also runs in different platforms. We are thinking of making an annex with some extra information about all the boards as I did all the possible mods (except for a second telemetry module as I'm still building it) until now. If someone else wants to do a separate manual for the 9XT that would mean less work for us :)
For example, how to program the telemetry or how to program the voice, has nothing to do with the 9extreme only. It's the same for all platforms that run ersky9x. For most (if not all) of the stuff the 9Xtreme is programmed exactly in the same way and has exactly the same options.
I can think only on 2 or 3 menus where there are a couple differences and that can be addressed on the manual.
Display menu because of the RGB backlight, protocol menu as only the 9XT and Taranis switch the power to the modules (probably not for long), and the hardware menu.. As far as I know all the other menus are exactly the same. So, if you are going to write a manual for 9XT only, you will be writing a second ersky9x manual.
If someone wants to do it please lets us know as we won't bother to include the extra information for the 9XT on our manual. Less work for us which is not that bad at all :) :D I can tell you now that it is a lot of of work. I'm talking a few months working every day. It's not easy to write documentation.
If it wasn't for Nigel's help I would have NEVER been able to write the er9x manual with the quality it has. It took A LOT of very good team work to achieve it.
You don't write such a manual in 2 Weeks, it takes a lot of research and experimenting. And that is our plan for the Ersky9x manual.. Nigel already wrote the first one that was a bit more dedicated to the 9XR-PRO radio, as it was basically a skyboard which was one of the 2 platforms running ersky9x. Today we have a couple more but the firmware is the same. It is NOT only for the 9Xtreme.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

9XTremist

Post by 9XTremist »

Again, I thought this was documentation for the 9xtreme

Jhsa said "Not only the 9XT uses ersky9x."

My third sentence, "Ersky9x may be on a lot of platforms but the 9XTreme only uses Ersky9x."

From my next to the last sentence, "While I am grateful to others ideas and mods and to those that have written the previous manuals (that's the only thing that got me this far) "

and my last sentence, "PLEASE, to any that might be offended or not agree, this is just an opinion."
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I didn't get offended with anything :D If it sounded like that I apologise ;) I was just saying that there will be a manual for ersky9x and probably an annex with very useful information on how to do other stuff on the different boards. I will NOT be exclusive to the 9Xtreme.. The er9x manual already has an annex with programming examples. The manual itself explains very well how to program different functions in the voice menu, so that doesn't need to be in the annex. About the telemetry, to explain how to connect telemetry stuff requires that we have (and use) all kinds of sensors, and systems. That is impossible, and we can't write about equipment we don't have or use. For example telemetry received from different flight controllers.. This is something that it is nearly impossible to accomplish for the reasons I mentioned above.
Installation of the different boards, that is possible, adding some hardware to the different boards, that is also possible. As you know I did nearly all the existing mods to all the different boards I own. My installation of the 9xtreme is even quite well documented, and it could be included with the manual.
We will concentrate ourselves on describing ersky9x as accurately as possible for now.. Then we will see.. I believe Nigel aggree with me ;)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

We're all on the same side :)

To be clear, I didn't start this thread with reference to documenting ERSky9X. I intend to start a Wiki specific to the 9Xtreme. Discussion of the ersky9x manual came slightly after, and that's great if it covers everything. No way it would be (or should be) only for the 9Xtreme, that wouldn't make sense and nobody expects that.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Exactly.. ;) settings and stuff like that are firmware talk.. hardware is specific to the 9xtreme.. is it really necessary to make a firmware and hardware manual only for the 9xtreme? If someone starts writing about all hardware for telemetry, etc, for the 9xtreme we will be happy to include it in the manual. But the big problem as I said above is to have access to all the hardware. We CANNOT guess and write. It wouldn't be a good job and not fair on the people..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

jhsa wrote:is it really necessary to make a firmware and hardware manual only for the 9xtreme?
Of course not, but what people would likely expect is:
- A firmware manual that is as "generic" as possible, i.e. not focusing on any given platform, that explains the basics and stuff that is common to all platforms (not the focus of this thread)
- A 9XT-specific manual that covers the hardware/installation guides etc, plus platform-specific firmware things that would complement the generic firmware manual and explain things that are not present or work differently on other platforms (what this thread is about).
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Yeah, that.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I think that it is more or less what I have been saying. The manual explains the software and will have annexes for the different hardware. But sometimes, some (not many fortunately) menus are a bit different on different platforms, so yeah, i this case we will have to describe this menu for the different platforms.. we can't just remove the menu from the manual. for example for the display menu. The 9XT has RGB control for the display. We will have to take a picture of the 9XT menu and say this is only available for it.. that is easy enough.. But we will see what is the best way when we are doing it. :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Just throwing this out there... is color coding a possibility? Or make use of some symbol for each platform?

Or, perhaps, just ignore the hardware-specific options and let the project document it?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Well we will write the manual for ersky9x. The information we find appropriate will be there and it will be as accurate as possible. It will be up to the people to read it or not :)
I don't think it is possible to write a manual for ersky9x without mentioning any of the platforms.
I should not even be discussing this here. :(

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Daedalus66

OK, let's document this!

Post by Daedalus66 »

My concept of the manual agrees with what is outlined above. It's not fundamentally about the hardware (which now consists of five platforms) but about the one firmware that runs on all of them. The manual starts from the assumption that you have a functioning transmitter with a current version of ErSky9x installed and it sets out to help you USE that transmitter. At certain points, it will be necessary to have a footnote or sidebar saying something like "For the XXX and YYY platforms this feature is handled a little differently" or "The keys are arranged differently on the ZZZ, see Annex F". The aim will be to minimize disruptions in the explanation, while drawing attention to specific variations.

For the project to be worthwhile for us, it's absolutely imperative that we gather together the common information about the firmware as it applies across the five platforms. If anyone feels a need to produce a version specifically adapted to, say, the 9Xtreme, they are welcome to do so, using our work as the basis, but I believe it would be unnecessary and a waste of effort.

In emphasizing the generic nature of the core of the new ErSky9x manual, I don't mean to discount the idea of individual annexes aimed at users of specific platforms. We definitely want to include these. They will tell a user of a particular platform what is specific about the hardware and point to other documentation that, for example, describes how to install and troubleshoot the 9Xtreme card, any special considerations in installing or upgrading the firmware on it, and so on. In other words, it will complement what Steve is aiming at with this thread.

One more thing I think we should include is an annex on using the EepSkye program to support ErSky9x.

Between us, João and I have a pretty clear sense of what's needed for the firmware manual. Now that Christmas is over, we'll be getting back into gear on the project. It's well under way, but we know from our last collaboration (the new Er9x manual) that while much of the material comes together quickly, getting it all just right (and keeping up with Mike's improvements) takes time. So bear with us, please. Meanwhile, you have two good existing manuals to refer to.

We wish Steve well with the 9Xtreme documentation and will help with it where we can.

By the way, we'll use color where feasible, but the manual has to work in black and white.

Enough talk. Let us get on with the manual and Steve get on with his documentation of the hardware.
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Daedalus66 wrote:By the way, we'll use color where feasible, but the manual has to work in black and white.
Good point, I didn't really think about printing. Symbology, perhaps, instead of color. I think you got my point though.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Daedalus66 wrote:
One more thing I think we should include is an annex on using the EepSkye program to support ErSky9x.
Definitely.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
9XTremist

Post by 9XTremist »

Sorry Steve, I didn't mean to stir up an unstable, turbulent mass of defecation.

João,
No need to apologize. The last part was me trying to reiterate that it was just my opinion and consequently probably worth less than the going rate for opinions.
mcometa

Post by mcometa »

Q: Why are my sticks overly sensitive?

A: Because you did not calibrate. Go to Menu > Radio Setup > Calibration. Follow the steps show.
9XTremist

Post by 9XTremist »

[QUOTE]
Why are my sticks overly sensitive?
[END QUOTE]

Because they're swollen, maybe¿

(I couldn't resist. Actually, I could have)
Paulusdw

Post by Paulusdw »

9XTremist wrote:
[/b]
Why are my sticks overly sensitive?
[END QUOTE]

Because they're swollen, maybe¿

(I couldn't resist. Actually, I could have)

Well you shouldn't resist - it made me guffaw out loud.
9XTremist

Post by 9XTremist »

Had I made that joke on rcg it might have earned me the ever popular "trolling, trying to provoke a response from someone" badge of honor. (the response would be a laugh, duh) Among others, I once won one for "making fun of a group or individual". It was a non existent group (as in doesn't now or never did exist) called the "Mindless Twits". After some deliberation the 'Appellate Court' finally overturned that decision.

thanks for laughing.
OctavioS

Post by OctavioS »

Hi,
this might not be of great importance but nontheless here goes:
The small stickers meant to stick to the top of the tx, that come with 9xtreme bundle are not doing their job, which is sticking to the radio.
I wonder if this just happened to me?
I removed the stock ones and placed these. The problem is that they keep falling from their place, which means that the glue is not strong enough or not the best. i tried cleaning the surface with alcohol, to remove any impurity, but to no avail.
Any thoughts about this?
2x - Turnigy 9X with 9xtreme board;
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Frsky Taranis & Taranis +;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
Radiomaster TX16S Max mark II.
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

My sticker did the same thing, it kept peeling back up.
To fix it, I used a very small amount of Loctite Super Glue and then, it now stays in place. :D

Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
9XTremist

Post by 9XTremist »

I used my favorite EPP adhesive, "Quick Grip."
OctavioS

Post by OctavioS »

I knew i had to do something like this. I only needed to make sure i wasn't the only one. :? :|
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

You know... I experienced the same thing but I assumed since nobody was complaining that I just didn't do a very good job of putting it on. Thanks for the feedback. I'll ask them to use a stronger adhesive next time.
9XTremist

Post by 9XTremist »

Steve,
if that's the only thing that falls off/I tear up on my radio. I'm already hiding the raggley snaggled out speaker grill mod that went horribly awry with a piece of black acoustically transparent foam.
My main concern is when is the next 9XTreme iteration coming down the pike, I've got a virgin 9x waiting to be d-flowered? (and mangled up)
OctavioS

Re: RE: Re: OK, let's document this!

Post by OctavioS »

s_mack wrote:You know... I experienced the same thing but I assumed since nobody was complaining that I just didn't do a very good job of putting it on. Thanks for the feedback. I'll ask them to use a stronger adhesive next time.
That would suffice.

Enviado do meu Galaxy S6 edge através de Tapatalk.
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Mine is still in place.. Maybe just a batch with problems?

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:

Return to “9Xtreme upgrade board”