9XTREME W/Freerider or Liftoff

Kilrah

Re: 9XTREME W/Freerider or Liftoff

Post by Kilrah »

The curve is completely unnecessary in your setup.

OctavioS

Post by OctavioS »

Well I didn't test without the curve. But thx for the tip. I will edit the post asap.

Enviado do meu Galaxy S6 edge através de Tapatalk.
2x - Turnigy 9X with 9xtreme board;
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Frsky Taranis & Taranis +;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
Radiomaster TX16S Max mark II.
lancaster

Post by lancaster »

Mike

I thought I might try the 9Xtreme with simulators and I have a couple of questions:-

1 I assume I must load the test firmware version you just posted on this thread- is this now called the Joysticks version?

2 Do I use the type of USB cable illustrated by Jimkill - I assume this goes into the trainer socket and this will initiate the installation of the driver?

3 Do I need to switch polarities and configure the model as described by Octavius?

regards
Hans
OctavioS

Post by OctavioS »

For FPVFreerider, you just need the usb cable and the latest test version from 9Xtreme.
For other simulators like FMS, Phoenix and others you will need a cable like the one previously posted or the one provided with the purchased sim bundle.
I honestly dont know if the sims excluding FPVFreerider suport the HID driver now available in 9xtreme.
I will have to figure out. Or perhaps somebody in this forum already knows.
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I tested the code using FMS and a standard USB cable.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

The key to using transmitters with simulators such as Phoenix that plug directly into the trainer port is that the transmitter must be in Slave (student) mode.
To some people this is counter-intuitive, but if you think about it, slave mode means that the transmitter, serving as a buddy box, outputs signals to the master transmitter, which in turn controls the model, using slave input when the trainer switch is held by the instructor.
Same general idea with a simulator: the transmitter in slave mode outputs the signals necessary to control the sim (no master needed).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OctavioS

Re: RE: Re: 9XTREME W/Freerider or Liftoff

Post by OctavioS »

MikeB wrote:I tested the code using FMS and a standard USB cable.

Mike.
Yes, now I remember you saying something about it. I still have to check phoenix and aeroflight rc7.

2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
OctavioS

Re: RE: Re: 9XTREME W/Freerider or Liftoff

Post by OctavioS »

Daedalus66 wrote:The key to using transmitters with simulators such as Phoenix that plug directly into the trainer port is that the transmitter must be in Slave (student) mode.
To some people this is counter-intuitive, but if you think about it, slave mode means that the transmitter, serving as a buddy box, outputs signals to the master transmitter, which in turn controls the model, using slave input when the trainer switch is held by the instructor.
Same general idea with a simulator: the transmitter in slave mode outputs the signals necessary to control the sim (no master needed).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly. [emoji106]

2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
Daedalus66

9Xtreme and Phoenix

Post by Daedalus66 »

I set up my 9Xtreme to drive Phoenix, just to make sure I could do it. Here were the main steps.
First download and unzip ersky9x9XT_romPbDsm.zip from Mike's Test Firmware for the 9Xtreme at:
viewtopic.php?f=126&t=7751
Start the 9Xtreme in Bootloader mode (R and A trims in while turning on), then plug in to USB on the PC.
I copied the new firmware to the Firmware folder on the SD card. Then I unplugged, selected it on the transmitter and flashed it. You can also use Eepske to do the flashing.
If you haven't already calibrated your 9Xtreme, do so now. This is a critical step and not to be confused with the calibration step within Phoenix (see below).
Next step is to create a new model called "Phoenix". The default mixes cover the first four channels and don't need to be changed. For channel 5 I set the source as sGEA (it's found a long way to the right on the list of sources). Channel 6 I set to sIDx to use the three position switch. Channel 7 is P3 to use a knob. You can set up these channels differently if something else suits you better, but this is a good starting point.
The new firmware provides a selection on the Protocol page of POS or NEG trainer polarity. POS is default. Change it to NEG. I've put this in bold because it's the non-obvious step.
You should now be set to turn on Phoenix in the computer. It should be up and running and complaining about not finding a transmitter.
With your transmitter turned OFF (also non-obvious to many people), plug the Phoenix cable into the trainer jack. (You must use the Phoenix cable as its dongle is part of the copy protection system.)
Phoenix should now recognize that a transmitter is connected.
Now go through the steps in Phoenix for setting up a new transmitter, including calibration and setting the correct channels and control directions. Doing this carefully should result in a control set up that works correctly for any model. Any further adjustment should be done in Phoenix rather than the transmitter.
I hope this helps. If anything is wrong or unclear, please say so.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Nigel that is using the trainer port on the back.. we were talking about the new USB joystick feature on the 9xtreme. It uses only the USB cable. Just make sure you turn the power to the RF modules OFF if you have a module inserted.
Then just turn the radio ON and plug the usb cable. Done..

Octávio, you don't need to test it with RC7 ;) I already did :mrgreen: and it works beautifully well :)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

As he said "You must use the Phoenix cable as its dongle is part of the copy protection system", so it is NOT the USB connection.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
OctavioS

Post by OctavioS »

Great João.
This keeps getting better.
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
OctavioS

Re: 9Xtreme and Phoenix

Post by OctavioS »

Daedalus66 wrote:I set up my 9Xtreme to drive Phoenix, just to make sure I could do it. Here were the main steps.
First download and unzip ersky9x9XT_romPbDsm.zip from Mike's Test Firmware for the 9Xtreme at:
viewtopic.php?f=126&t=7751
Start the 9Xtreme in Bootloader mode (R and A trims in while turning on), then plug in to USB on the PC.
I copied the new firmware to the Firmware folder on the SD card. Then I unplugged, selected it on the transmitter and flashed it. You can also use Eepske to do the flashing.
If you haven't already calibrated your 9Xtreme, do so now. This is a critical step and not to be confused with the calibration step within Phoenix (see below).
Next step is to create a new model called "Phoenix". The default mixes cover the first four channels and don't need to be changed. For channel 5 I set the source as sGEA (it's found a long way to the right on the list of sources). Channel 6 I set to sIDx to use the three position switch. Channel 7 is P3 to use a knob. You can set up these channels differently if something else suits you better, but this is a good starting point.
The new firmware provides a selection on the Protocol page of POS or NEG trainer polarity. POS is default. Change it to NEG. I've put this in bold because it's the non-obvious step.
You should now be set to turn on Phoenix in the computer. It should be up and running and complaining about not finding a transmitter.
With your transmitter turned OFF (also non-obvious to many people), plug the Phoenix cable into the trainer jack. (You must use the Phoenix cable as its dongle is part of the copy protection system.)
Phoenix should now recognize that a transmitter is connected.
Now go through the steps in Phoenix for setting up a new transmitter, including calibration and setting the correct channels and control directions. Doing this carefully should result in a control set up that works correctly for any model. Any further adjustment should be done in Phoenix rather than the transmitter.
I hope this helps. If anything is wrong or unclear, please say so.
But you didnt use the usb port to test the 9xtreme HID driver with this sim. That was the point.
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

That's because it doesn't work! I should have been more explicit but thought it was clear from the previous discussion. As I said, and Mike confirms, you must use the Phoenix cable with its copy-protection dongle and plug into the trainer port.

Same with RealFlight, which won't work without its interlink controller (or more recent dongle).

There are illicit unlocked versions of both, I believe and these would probably work via USB.
OctavioS

Post by OctavioS »

Humm, now I get it. Thx.

Enviado do meu Nexus 7 através de Tapatalk
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

I have to admit I got a bit carried away off topic, though. :)
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I thought Phoenix would also work with a HID Joystick. I don't have the simulator. I probably misunderstood Nigel's post as we were talking about the USB connection before.

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
KAL

Post by KAL »

Phoenix 5.0 only works with the genuine USB cable (at least I found no other option).
Up to 4.x there exist some launching programms that can read a HID joystick
(and as a side effect make the dongle unnecessary :o )

Klaus
( TH9X / 9XTreme / FrSky DHT / Spektrum / Multi / RotEnc )
( 9XR PRO / erSKY9x  / FrSky DHT / Spektrum / Multi / RotEnc / P3 as Slider )
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

That's my understanding too. And I think the same is true for RF up to about v4 (current is v7.5).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jimkill

Post by jimkill »

I finally had some time to mess with this and it works great in Freerider. The config in the game sucks though, it randomly inverts the signals and you have to try a few times to get it setup right.
duststorm

Post by duststorm »

I had a go at the USB joystick feature last night. With the model program I use for my Pixhawk (8 channels, straightforward setup), plugged it in my Ubuntu laptop and it all simply worked :)

The joystick showed up immediately as /dev/input/js0
Using jscalibrator I could quickly calibrate the min/max and center positions of all the sticks and switches.
I still need to test it with an actual simulator, but it all seems to work very well :)

This is a killer feature, Mike. Thanks for bringing it to the 9Xtreme!
Paulusdw

Post by Paulusdw »

Sorry - didn't work for me - only left stick worked at all - nothing on right stick at all and the circles would not move.

Does it matter what the selection on the USB stick is?
drkavnger99

Post by drkavnger99 »

I can't get the USB working in free rider as the yaw wont show. In windows joystick calibration the yaw is jumping all over the place. Take a look https://youtu.be/ba-HIy3eIiY the funny thing is the raw numbers look right. It doesn't register yaw at all in free rider though. Works fine through vjoy though. Tried on windows 10 and 7 same issues.
Paulusdw

Post by Paulusdw »

Sorry guys but I'm still having problems.

I use the USB adapter every day with Liftoff and used to use it frequently with Aerofly, so I know it works with them.

I have installed the latest test ROM A8_10? and I am still having no response in Freerider to anything from my right stick (I use mode 2) during calibration. There are three circles showing as active, throttle seems to respond but it does not detect anything from the right stick at all.

Does it matter what position my USB selector switch is set to?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Paul
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Paulusdw: I'm confused here. That test version is for the AR9X board (SKY type). This thread is for using the 9Xtreme. SKY type boards don't support the USB as a direct joystick connection, which is what this thread is about.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
OctavioS

Post by OctavioS »

MikeB wrote: ...SKY type boards don't support the USB as a direct joystick connection, ...

Mike.
Now thats a big disapointment. I was planning to buy one of those just to keep looking at er9x, but definetly not anymore.
9xtreme is a great breakthrough for the 9x radio and to make it even better is to make it possible to connect bluetooth and haptic feedback "in a plug and play way", even if it gets more expensive, and that is obviously obvious. :lol:
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

It is on my list of "things to do". I need to get the USB HID driver running, then I can add it.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
OctavioS

Post by OctavioS »

MikeB wrote:It is on my list of "things to do". I need to get the USB HID driver running, then I can add it.

Mike.
Ok, so thats possible. Good news then, ill buy one in the near future, probably when it will have a built in rtc. I sent an email sugesting that to the board developer and he replied saying that in future batches that will be included. Im not much of a solder fan, although i purchased a knock off hako 937+ soldering station. Lets see if that changes my mind. :idea:
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Never too late to learn ;) :)
You can be sure that once you've learnt it, you will enjoy it. :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
OctavioS

Post by OctavioS »

jhsa wrote:Never too late to learn ;) :)
You can be sure that once you've learnt it, you will enjoy it. :)

João
Probably.
I know you are a solder maniac... joking.
Its a very handy skill.
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;

Return to “9Xtreme upgrade board”