Receive 9xtreme and Installation

bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Anyone who has received there 9xtreme Upgrade Board and are in the process of
or have completed installation, are welcome to ask questions and post there experiences here. :D

I am still waiting at my mailbox, for mine ! :)

For more Installation help click here: (viewtopic.php?f=95&t=7182). :)

Bob B.
Last edited by bob195558 on Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).

IanF9X

Re: Receive 9xtreme and Installation

Post by IanF9X »

Received two boards very promptly and have one installed. Very impressed indeed. Did have one back light with faulty black wire connection and was only being held by the silicone. Easy enough to solder but does require a fine iron. Was a little concerned about the pogo pins as some looked slightly off square however the contact land on the original 9x board is big enough to accept any off square tolerance of the pins. Everything works well. Am just trying to decide what way I'm going to connect to the module.
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

The pogo pins have a design tolerance of 4 degrees off axis and the size of the pads give us a 12 to 16 degree cushion so I wouldn't suspect it should ever be a problem. They just need to be "reasonably" straight, as you discovered.

As for the backlight... sadly, I've had a few complaints so far.

I've also had one complaint of a micro USB connector snapping off easily.

I hope people (including myself) can keep in mind that with hundreds arriving in rapid succession, there's bound to be some issues and it will seem like a lot since they all show up at once. I go through this with every product, and I always have a moment of panic where it seems like the world is ending, but looking back I rarely see > 5% defect on anything (usually much lower). Time will tell.

What is certain is that if the customer can't fix it, I will. One way or another, I make sure it is right.
stewwy

Post by stewwy »

ok so i've installed the board and got it working,

I have the DHT DIY kit with Telemetry fitted . I have the black and white wire fitted to board in the frsky port so what is each wire?
lancaster

Post by lancaster »

Hi
I received the 9xtreme package on 16 October through Deutsche Post and UK Royal Mail.

No damage and everything looks good and is xtremely well presented.

I'm very pleased with the quality of the product and now hanging on for instructions.

Hans

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Mine has just arrived. I'll swap it into the Tx I had the prototype in.
I should be better able to answer some of the questions when I have done so.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

I enjoy good irony, but am I going to be the very last person to get one?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

No, I am. :shock: :roll: :o ;)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

stewwy wrote:I have the DHT DIY kit with Telemetry fitted . I have the black and white wire fitted to board in the frsky port so what is each wire?
The black wire is data from the module (TX) to the 9Xtreme (SPort for an XJT). The white wire is data from the 9Xtreme to the module (RX).

If using a DIY DHT module, you have the option of connecting this to the internal PPM/PXX connection, and the power for this module to the "internal power soft switch".
I think s_mack may have changed which pads these are on compared to the prototypes, so I can't tell which to use (yet).

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

IN_PWR is #7 and PXX-PPM1 is #9

From people's photos, I think the silk screen for this fine-printed area did not turn out so clear, so let me know if there is any confusion on what hole is what #.
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

MikeB wrote:I think s_mack may have changed which pads these are on compared to the prototypes
#6 went from n/c to +5v
#7 went from HAPTIC_OUT to IN_PWR
#10 went from IN_PWR to +3.3v
#12 went from n/c to HAPTIC_OUT

Others are the same.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

A diagram with all connections and available pins would be nice, like the one for the 9XR-PRO.
This would make it easy for people to add more hardware, like switches, encoder, haptic, etc :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Thanks s_mack.

So, the 9Xtreme supports TWO modules, one internal and one external. Both have soft power switches, so only an enabled module (one that has a protocol that isn't OFF) is actually powered.

The external module is the one in the module bay in the back of the Tx.

The internal one connects to some of the 3 rows of 5 pads.
These pads are numbered from 1 to 15.

For the internal module connect:
GROUND to pad 8.
POWER to pad 7.
PPM signal to pad 9.

A diagram needs drawing so will take a little time.

In passing, I now have my 9Xtreme production board installed and fully working. This includes having my ELE switch converted to a 3-position switch
It does look like we have a small bonus, the processor is the 1Mbyte flash version. We were only specifying the 512kbyte version. The bootloader, currently, is only coded to handle the 512kbyte version.

I've also already done a small mod, just added some pin headers to one row of the block of pads and tested the serial connection. This is all working.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

jhsa wrote:A diagram with all connections and available pins would be nice, like the one for the 9XR-PRO.
This would make it easy for people to add more hardware, like switches, encoder, haptic, etc :)

João

I would say "in due time"... but I guess since my kit never arrived and I can't do the instructions... I have time. I'll post shortly.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

MikeB wrote:
For the internal module connect:
GROUND to pad 8.
POWER to pad 7.
PPM signal to pad 9.

Mike.
That looks like we could use a 3 pin connector. Like the ones for the 2S Lipo..
I plan soldering pins and connectors (only connectors if possible) before I install the board..
So, I'm not really in a rush to install it as it will take a bit of planning and also need to gather some parts. This tx might become my main radio, so I want to make sure all works well, and that I have all the gadgets I need installed.. :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

s_mack wrote:

I would say "in due time"... but I guess since my kit never arrived and I can't do the instructions... I have time. I'll post shortly.
Thanks

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Attached are 3 images representing the inputs and outputs of the 9xtreme. There is an overview image along with close-ups of the less-obvious points.

"USB, MicroSD, SPK (speaker) and B.Light (backlight)" should be self-evident.
"9X (#)" simply refers to cables that you unplug from the 9X and plug into the 9Xtreme. With the exception of 9X (12), nothing goes back into the original spot on the 9X. I've designed it so nothing can be plugged in the wrong spot (if you try hard enough to prove me wrong that you succeed... that's on you)
"9X (12)" is perhaps the only non-obvious one. This is the spot for the 12-wire harness that connects the back of the 9X to the front.
"Jumper" is the included 12 wire cable. One end plugs in here, the other goes in the original 12-wire harness's plug on the 9X
"FrSky" is the included 2-wire cable. The other end goes into the external port of a DJT or XJT module. For a cleaner internal connection, Mike describes it best.
"Spare I/O" (see picture) has 3 nice big solder pads for your creative use. The one marked "PA5" goes to that i/o pin of the chip. The others are your power and ground (if you need more than +3.3v, look at the expansion grid)
"For Future Use" are two connectors not intended for random use by end users. These are reserved for any official peripherals release at a later time. They aren't being documented at this time, but if anyone actually has use for an SPI connection, let me know. For I2C, look at the Expansion grid.
Expansion Grid is as follows:

1 - +5V
2 - I2C (SDA)
3 - GND
4 - I2C (SCL)
5 - +3.3V
6 - +5V
7 - IN_PWR (internal power for DHT module)
8 - GND
9 - PXX-PPM
10 - +3.3V
11 - BATTERY VOLTAGE
12 - HAPTIC_OUT
13 - GND
14 - UART_RX
15 - UART_TX

If anything is unclear or missing please let me know.
Attachments
Fixed overview
Fixed overview
close up of spare i/o
close up of spare i/o
close up of the expansion grid
close up of the expansion grid
stewwy

Post by stewwy »

MikeB wrote:
stewwy wrote:I have the DHT DIY kit with Telemetry fitted . I have the black and white wire fitted to board in the frsky port so what is each wire?
The black wire is data from the module (TX) to the 9Xtreme (SPort for an XJT). The white wire is data from the 9Xtreme to the module (RX).

If using a DIY DHT module, you have the option of connecting this to the internal PPM/PXX connection, and the power for this module to the "internal power soft switch".
I think s_mack may have changed which pads these are on compared to the prototypes, so I can't tell which to use (yet).

Mike.

Thanx, that worked :D
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

s_mack wrote:
"USB, MicroUSB, SPK (speaker) and B.Light (backlight)" should be self-evident.
For me is quite evident that MicroUSB is not the same as Micro SD Card :mrgreen: ;)

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Oh stuff it. (fixed)
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Half fixed ;) :) look at the picture.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
tedbmoss

Post by tedbmoss »

Picture of EXPANSION GRID pads on 9xtreme board click on picture to make it larger.
Attachments
20151017_120030[1].jpg
Last edited by tedbmoss on Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

jhsa wrote:Half fixed ;) :) look at the picture.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

João
I hearby declare that the terms MicroUSB and MicroSD are fully interchangeable and it is the responsibility of the reader to simply know what I meant.

Edit: Fixed it :)
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I do like the way you fixed it :mrgreen: Original... And pink.. :mrgreen:

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
maz

Post by maz »

I think I've done something wrong, no power from battery, but USB gives me Switch Error! (all switches in the back position and throttle zeroed (done up and down))
Pictures attached.

I've probably done something stupid ;)

Oh and the backlight socket, is a little prone to lifting if you don't get the angle perfect.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

You have missed plugging some of the cables into the 9Xtreme instead of the original board. There is a 5-way at the left end (carries the AIL switch) and a 6-way in the middle at the top (carries the power).

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

and the 2 9-pin cables too.

In hindsight, I should have placed a marking on the silkscreen to indicate which connectors must be populated and which ones are optional/future use.

Anyway, it is also easily resolved with proper instructions, which will be forthcoming shortly after I receive my kit (should be tonight)
maz

Post by maz »

Well that sorted, it :D, now ~I just have to take it apart and fix the screen positioning ( its at a slight tilt :()
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

While you're at it, I have a tip: BEFORE you get things screwed in, hold the radio in your hands so that the 9x board is firmly seated and you can at the same time press the menu and other buttons. If they don't engage properly, reposition everything and try again. Otherwise you get everything back together just to find out a button doesn't work. Been there done that!
maz

Post by maz »

s_mack wrote:While you're at it, I have a tip: BEFORE you get things screwed in, hold the radio in your hands so that the 9x board is firmly seated and you can at the same time press the menu and other buttons. If they don't engage properly, reposition everything and try again. Otherwise you get everything back together just to find out a button doesn't work. Been there done that!
Indeed, the menu /exit button were a bit of a pain the first time, probably because the screen was tilted.
ow onto calibration and model setup (not that I can fly atm, it's pitch black out)!

Return to “9Xtreme upgrade board”