Receive 9xtreme and Installation

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Receive 9xtreme and Installation

Post by MikeB »

With the 9Xtreme, you don't need PPMSIM. The trainer output signal has its own dedicated drive pin.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

DBush

Post by DBush »

Just wanted to say thanks to all that helped with my newbie questions. Got my board operational, did the DJT telemetry mod, been playing with adding voice files... Love this thing! The only thing my Tx won't do now is fly (which is really unfortunate because I suck!). Mike, can you work on that? Anyway, thanks all and keep up the good work!
OctavioS

Post by OctavioS »

First of the 3 9xtreme boards installed and running. No issues and simple install.
Unfortunatelly the speaker mount LTMNO made, can only be used if you remove the buzzer an the other thingies from the power swithch board. I didn't had the mood to remove them so they will roam there untill the end of time... i placed the speaker without the mount and sounds good. Im quite happy with this mod and hopefully it will not smoke on me, kkkkk.
So, thumbs up for the developers S_mack and Mike. :)
2x - Turnigy 9X with 9xtreme board;
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Frsky Taranis & Taranis +;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
Radiomaster TX16S Max mark II.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I first cut the case speaker slots open with a sharp hobby knife #11 blade. Then I put a dab of hot glue at the 3-6-9 o'clock position and held it in place until the glue cooled. I added a small block of foam rubber at the top to eliminate or tame the hollow case sound. Steven (smartiparts) suggested this in his install suggestions.
Not having a 3D printer, I took this direction. I'm very happy with it so far.
About the smoke, just don't reverse the battery leads and then "forget about it" as my New York friend says!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I lnormally place the speaker in place and seal it completely with hot glue so no air passes under the sides/edge of the speaker. I have to be careful of course not to put glue on the membrane :)
If I ever need to remove it, I just drop some alcohol on the glue, wait for a little while, and it will come out easily ;)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

OctavioS

Post by OctavioS »

Ok, thx for the suggestion, it really sounds a bit hollow. Next time I open it is will place the foam rubber.

Enviado do meu Galaxy S6 edge através de Tapatalk.
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
PNaz

Post by PNaz »

I have both a 9X Atmega 64 board and a 128 board available to do the 9Xtreme upgrade. Is there any advantage to using the 128? I can't see any advantage if the original 9X board is just used for I/O.

Paul
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

No advantage to using the '128, the same firmware is flashed to either board.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
feihu47

Post by feihu47 »

ShowMaster wrote: About the smoke, just don't reverse the battery leads and then "forget about it" as my New York friend says!
If he's really from New York he says fuggeddaboudit!. :)

@Mike.
So, if I have the resistor mod done for simulator use, then it's OK to not remove it and leave it alone?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Please give details of the resistor mod you did for PPMSIM (I don't recall any mod needed for this), so I can check if it needs to be removed. The connections relating to the trainer on the 9X main board are used for different purposes when the 9Xtreme is fitted.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

MikeB wrote:Please give details of the resistor mod you did for PPMSIM (I don't recall any mod needed for this), so I can check if it needs to be removed. The connections relating to the trainer on the 9X main board are used for different purposes when the 9Xtreme is fitted.

Mike.
I think he is referring to the 1K Resistor on the PPMSIM line...

Custom 9x with M64/Telemetry Mod
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

OctavioS wrote:First of the 3 9xtreme boards installed and running. No issues and simple install.
Unfortunatelly the speaker mount LTMNO made, can only be used if you remove the buzzer an the other thingies from the power swithch board. I didn't had the mood to remove them so they will roam there untill the end of time... i placed the speaker without the mount and sounds good. Im quite happy with this mod and hopefully it will not smoke on me, kkkkk.
I apologize, I totally forgot about that... i should make a more shallower version to clear the buzzer.
I suppose you can opt out of printing the cover and that should do the trick?
Custom 9x with M64/Telemetry Mod
feihu47

Post by feihu47 »

LTMNO wrote:
MikeB wrote:Please give details of the resistor mod you did for PPMSIM (I don't recall any mod needed for this), so I can check if it needs to be removed. The connections relating to the trainer on the 9X main board are used for different purposes when the 9Xtreme is fitted.

Mike.
I think he is referring to the 1K Resistor on the PPMSIM line...

Yes, that's what I was referring to.
OctavioS

Post by OctavioS »

I tried that, but still not enough space. too bad.
LTMNO wrote:
OctavioS wrote:First of the 3 9xtreme boards installed and running. No issues and simple install.
I apologize, I totally forgot about that... i should make a more shallower version to clear the buzzer.
I suppose you can opt out of printing the cover and that should do the trick?
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I think leaving the 1K resistor in is OK, but I haven't tested that.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
duststorm

Post by duststorm »

s_mack wrote:if anyone actually has use for an SPI connection, let me know
One idea that came to mind is connecting an NRF24 module and modify the firmware to let the 9Xtreme communicate with various toy/training quads, so you can get rid of all those small transmitters.

Goebish has a very nice collection of protocol implementations for various toy quadcopters here: https://github.com/goebish/nrf24_multipro
It might be possible to port these to be included in the ersky9x firmware, so that the NRF24 module can be connected directly to the SPI bus, and enabled in the model settings as an extra third internal transmitter. The protocol menu could then allow you to select between the protocol implementations that these toy quadcopters have.

Having it in the remote eliminates the need for an arduino, and protocol selection becomes easier because you can do it by ways of a menu, and it can be saved as a model preset.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I think you are looking for something like this:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2165676

ersky9x aready supports the Multiprotocol DIY module over serial. Just plug the RF module on the external module bay, and select the protocol from the protocol menu. The radio will output serial to the module.
I fly my Cheerson CX-10 quads using my ersky9x transmitter. Still have to install my 9Xtreme though.

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
duststorm

Post by duststorm »

Oh, I missed that one. That's very interesting, thank you for pointing me to it. :)
It's very cool that it can select the protocol using a menu in the transmitter.
It still uses an arduino in between, with the ARM cpu in the 9xtreme everything could probably be integrated in the firmware, though. But at the price of these arduinos, you might wonder whether it's worth the effort of course.
duststorm

Post by duststorm »

s_mack wrote:Expansion Grid is as follows:

1 - +5V
2 - I2C (SDA)
3 - GND
4 - I2C (SCL)
5 - +3.3V
6 - +5V
7 - IN_PWR (internal power for DHT module)
8 - GND
9 - PXX-PPM
10 - +3.3V
11 - BATTERY VOLTAGE
12 - HAPTIC_OUT
13 - GND
14 - UART_RX
15 - UART_TX

If anything is unclear or missing please let me know.
I saw mention of COM1 and COM2 somewhere on this forum. Is COM1 referring to the uart labeled as "frsky" and COM2 pins 14-15 on the expansion grid?
Am I right to assume the TTL level of the uart is 3.3V?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Yes, COM1 is the connector labelled FrSky. This uses inverted data, and is buffered to connect to either the SPort of a XJT or the RS232 signal from a DJT.

COM2 is the expansion connector and uses non-inverted data at 3.3V logic levels.

Mike.

Edit: The COM2 signals are connected directly to the processor. While it operates at 3.3V, the processor pins are 5V tolerant.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Astom22

Post by Astom22 »

New here, just about to conquer my installation today. Had a question, is there a recommended size for the microsd card?

Thanks, looking forward to setting up the board in my remote.
Astom22

Post by Astom22 »

Is there a recommended size for the micro sd card?
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Smallest cheapest one you can find, likely. :D

1GB is more than enough. Class 4 should be sufficient. If you're buying new, probably 4Gb class 10 costs < $5
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

The current cheapest batteries in many stores are 8GB class 10. Any disadvantage to bigger and faster? I have seen suggestions that in some other cases, smaller and slower may actually be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

[Assuming "batteries" == "microSD card"]

Bigger/faster is just a waste of a perfectly good card. Too big (32Gb) and I'm not sure it will work, as then we're into SDXC classification and a device has to support that... frankly, I really have no idea if it does or not. 32Gb is actually the cusp of the definition, so some 32 are going to be SDHC (compatible) and some are going to be SDXC (not sure).

But no, there should be no problem with an 8GB class 10. That's what I was testing with.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

There was a problem on the Taranis, before the 9Xtreme was designed, where cards larger than 4Gb didn't work due to a bug in the STM driver. This has been fixed and the fix in in the 9Xtreme firmware.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ShowMaster

Receive 9xtreme and Installation

Post by ShowMaster »

$5, free shipping was my sweet spot. Size in this case, didn't matter[emoji3]
I'm glad you made it work Mike.
moxieman3864

Post by moxieman3864 »

hi to all fellow hobbyist i installed my 9xtreme board to my flysky th9x/er9x i recently had the er9x smartieparts board in now i have the 9xtreme board i have a djt module in the back of the tx first off when i go into radio set up it says for ver mod 9xt verv.1946-mike date 26.08.2015 ersky9x r218 is that correct ? second when i connect usb in bootload mode i don't get 2 storage devices appear ing on my PC windows. i have the sd card in the card holder i don't see that and every time i hook my usb up i have to go into bootloader mode is that correct or no? is there a step by step how to manual for when your done installing the 9xtreme board i'm lost i was just getting er9x down now like a said i'm lost and i can't figure out the voice thing either i just want to fly my quad ive been down three weeks already jonesen! PLEASE HELP. :(
dcrow57

Post by dcrow57 »

s_mack wrote:[Assuming "batteries" == "microSD card"]
Not to deviate from the topic, don't know if you have any Sonic drive-ins in Canada, but that reminds me of a hilarious commercial of theirs - https://youtu.be/-CLSM1lOx0g
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

MikeB wrote:There was a problem on the Taranis, before the 9Xtreme was designed, where cards larger than 4Gb didn't work due to a bug in the STM driver. This has been fixed and the fix in in the 9Xtreme firmware.

Mike.
That's what I must have been remembering. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “9Xtreme upgrade board”