Receive 9xtreme and Installation

s_mack

Re: Receive 9xtreme and Installation

Post by s_mack »

OpenTX has a better name. I will give it that :)

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I wanted to comment on how well this project has come together in a short time. So far the audio hiss is the only real issues and not everyone's bothered. Pretty good for a first product release!

I also have been using ersky9x because of the new board again. I really like the menu organization screens. I find it more user friendly than Opentx! Especially for first time open firmware users. Even a retread like me funds it easy to use. The er9x manual update also is a great help.
I think this hardware and firmware combo mated with the 9x, will be a good pathway to open source Rc flying. The Pro tried but I think HK took too long to release the product! Hk's reduced the price finally, maybe too late now!
I own several Taranis radios and keep them using Opentx because that's what I find in use at my field. Most stay with what the TX comes with. However, I also have several sky board 9x's and a beta 9xr Pro, using ersky9x/9XR. Now a 9Xtreme. I honestly do like Mikes menu structure over otx's. I've felt for some time that otx makes you hunt for, or memorize, the option you want. Ersky9x has it sorted out in defined categories. Radio, hardware, mixes, telemetry, sounds, much like a book index. It'll be interesting to get comments from first time users as they power up their 9Xtreme board for the first time and program their TX.

I do like the otx wizard.

But I also like how fast a request to Mike for a FW option gets upgraded/added. Usually over night or sooner.

For continuity at my club fields , I'll keep Opentx on my Taranis, and ersky9x on my HK Pro and this new 9Xtreme. The way most will do I run into flying that ask programming questions.
I wish Opentx would adopt Mikes menu structure. It would help so many that are coming from hard coded menu systems expecting a simpler interface. Probably the #1 Taranis complaint . . .. After the buzz ha ha!
DBush

Post by DBush »

MikeB wrote:
DBush wrote:was there a reason you went with ER9X vs OpenTx as the default? I know the purpose of the board among other things is the ability to go whichever way you want, but I was just curious if there was anything specific other than enie miene moe that made you go with ER9X?
1. I'm the main (only?) developer for ersky9x.
2. I feel ersky9x is easier to use.
3. Developing for openTx is a pain. Every time you want to re-compile it, it re-compiles nearly everything, and takes a long time to do so. If you want to compile for a different target hardware you HAVE to compile everything. My setup for ersky9x only compiles changed files, even if you switch target hardware, so is MUCH faster.

Mike.
Thanks for the info. If you don't mind my newbie pestering, then what is the principal difference between ER9X and ersky9x? And lastly is the Turnigy ersky9x manual a good place to start to learn the s/w? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... 408X57.pdf Or is there something better/more recent?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

OpenTx has some features that ersky9x doesn't and ersky9x has features that openTX doesn't. Both are easier than the other in some aspects. My personal preference is er9x/ersky9x. I love the new Menu System and voice implementation, as well as the very wide and flexible hardware support. At this moment you can completely change and personalize the hardware configuration of your radio. You can add encoder, 6 position switches, replace 2 position switches with 3 position and add more switches (even in er9x), and the new trainer over bluetooth on ersky9x.
Of course, the 9Xtreme brought some more features to our table, like the RGB backlight, which I think is nice, and it will be useful for people doing some night flying.. Audio alarms together with different BL colors, or only the backlight if audio is not used..
As far as I know some other nice features might come into play very soon. There are lots of good ideas out there. Mike just needs time for them ;) :)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

ERSky9X is ER9X but unleashed for use with more powerful hardware (such as the 9Xtreme). ER9X has pushed the absolute limits of the 9X hardware, so really no new features can be added (although, Mike is a a magician so don't hold me to that).

If you google "ER9X manual 2015" you'll quickly find the most up to date manual. It is for ER9X, not ERSKy9x specifically, but it will have most things except the ersky9x specific features. Probably best place to start.

s_mack

Post by s_mack »

jhsa wrote:As far as I know some other nice features might come into play very soon.
That's an oft-overlooked concept, I think. The *REAL* power of this system is yet-to-come. We've barely scratched the service of what can be done.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

DBush wrote: If you don't mind my newbie pestering, then what is the principal difference between ER9X and ersky9x? And lastly is the Turnigy ersky9x manual a good place to start to learn the s/w? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... 408X57.pdf Or is there something better/more recent?
This is the new er9x manual and it is a good start point until a new ersky9x manual is ready.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6473

Er9x and ersky9x are basically the same but the latter has more features and runs on much more capable and powerful processors.
By reading the manual linked above you will have a better understanding of how ersky9x works. Even easier if you already use other open source firmware.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
PNaz

Post by PNaz »

Steve I just received my 9Xtreme board via Swiss Post and Canada Post. I am down the valley from you in Kaleden 10km south of Penticton. It will be a good comparison of the shipping times versus the one you had shipped to yourself.

Paul Nazaroff
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

PNaz wrote:Steve I just received my 9Xtreme board via Swiss Post and Canada Post. I am down the valley from you in Kaleden 10km south of Penticton. It will be a good comparison of the shipping times versus the one you had shipped to yourself.

Paul Nazaroff
Except that mine was shipped at 10x the price for "express" courier service! And showed up damaged after they opened it for inspection and ham-fistedly put it back in the box, breaking off a pin. Thanksfully, I knew someone that could fix it ;)

Thanks UPS!

Still, it does seem like times to Canada are particularly poor. I would have thought that at least those of us on the China-facing side would enjoy rather swift times :)
mmilan

Post by mmilan »

So, I now have 2 9Xtreme boards up and running well. Very easy to install compared to all the mods to original 9x (megasound, replacing pot with 3 position switch, joystick for gimbal control and later a headtracker). Now I would like to replace one or more of the 2 position switches with 3 position switchs. How do I wire and set this up on the 9Xtreme board?

Mike
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
stents3

Post by stents3 »

Hi Mike.....My previous post on the 9Xtreme Board(up at RCGroups) showed alot of frustration so I just put it aside for a day or two. I need some help trying to get this baby up and runnig. This is the way it sits now: When the Tx is turned on it opens with the "Model"screen and does not show the splash screen. I've gone through the menue's and turned on the Alarms and turned on the splash screen. The most important proceedure is that I can not connect up to eepskye eprom editor. With both Rud & Ail trims to center,Usb connected to PC, LCD screen just shows "connecting" but never does.My PC is running Windows 7. EEPSKYE will not read or write to the eprom. What am I doing wrong? Previously I was running er9x on this TX with no problems at all. Thanks for any help. Cheers Bob
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Steven, 2nd board arrived. DHL took less than 2 days from picking it up to my door this morning.. I think you have a winner ;) :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Stents3: See reply on RCG.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
DBush

Post by DBush »

ShowMaster wrote: Yes, pin 5 is already floating but connected to trace that did go to the old fm antenna. It can be left as is. Only pin 2 is connected to ground under the paint on both sides of the board.
ShowMaster,
Wanted to follow up on the DJT installation process. I wanted to verify that the pins I have highlighted are indeed the right ones (see pic). For pin 5 I would solder to the big silver pad in the center as Joao mentioned. Easy peasy lemon squeezy (can you tell I have small kids at home?). The question I have is of course for pin 2. you said it is connected to ground on "both sides" of the board. do you mean to the right and left of the pin in the image I attached or literally to the underside of this board? I guess I'm trying to figure out if I have to do any work on the other side of this board. I did not disconnect it completely, but looked under and did not really see any connections on the bottom (second pic). Based on your previous post, I am led to believe there is work to be done on the back side, but just wanted to verify with a pic to be sure.

Thanks...
Attachments
IMG_1936.JPG
IMG_1940.JPG
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Pin 2 must be isolated on both sides of the back board. Please follow the link, scroll down and look at the pictures..

http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/ ... _Telemetry

After check with a multimeter that the pin has no connection to ground..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
DBush

Post by DBush »

jhsa wrote:look at the pictures..

João
Well that just makes it too easy! ;)

Thanks!
ShowMaster

Receive 9xtreme and Installation

Post by ShowMaster »

Looks like you guys are working it out.

I removed some off topic info I posted.
I took the day off since my 9Xtreme install's gone so well for a project for my local RC club.
lancaster

Post by lancaster »

s_mack wrote:OpenTX has a better name. I will give it that :)
There is one special feature that puts ERSKYE ahead of OpenTX - yes you guessed - its a part called Mike!!

great work guys
regards Hans
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Blush :oops:

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
lancaster

Post by lancaster »

Mike

Just playing with the firmware backup and updates, and I came to a question that needs an answer before I go a bit further:-

- I downloaded the 'as installed' firmware from the 9Xtreme to my PC as a backup - this came across with a filename ESKY EPROM

- I then downloaded the latest version of the firmware from the homepage to my PC and I noticed that this came across with the file name

ersky9x9XT_rom

My question is - if I ever need to reflash the Xtreme with the original 'as installed firmware' do I need to rename this file to its correct format, ie with the underscore rom suffix and should the prefix also be changed to ersky9x9XT ?
regards
Hans
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

No, you may use any filename you like, as long as it is a .bin.
Both eepskye and the bootloader let you choose the file to flash.

You might like to rename the saved files to something more descriptive.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

DBush wrote:
LTMNO wrote:Speaker Mount for the 9X to be used with the 9Xtreme Speaker.
Thanks for the speaker mount. Just printed mine. Found that if you print them both outer face down with supports, the print quality is better. I had to import your file, separate them, flip one over, and then re-export. But otherwise, look great. Will install soon...

Also, just a quick question for MikeB & S_mack. I don't want this to turn into a big debate as I am sure it is somewhere else, and I am new at this so I don't really have a clue, but was there a reason you went with ER9X vs OpenTx as the default? I know the purpose of the board among other things is the ability to go whichever way you want, but I was just curious if there was anything specific other than enie miene moe that made you go with ER9X?
Sorry for the late reply. Thx. Yeah I should have fixed that. That is how I printed it as well. [emoji1]
I originally just dos the base. Then made the cover. And added it to the stl.
I will fix the original on thingiverse.

Cheers. .

UPDATE: Fixed on Thingiverse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by LTMNO on Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Custom 9x with M64/Telemetry Mod
OctavioS

Post by OctavioS »

For what I read the 9x buzzer will not be used with the 9xtreme mod. Isn't it possible to use it for some alerts? Like opentx does with the taranis?

Enviado do meu Galaxy S6 edge através de Tapatalk.
2x - Turnigy 9X with 9xtreme board;
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Frsky Taranis & Taranis +;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
Radiomaster TX16S Max mark II.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Audio tones are generated on the speaker. The Taranis doesn't have a buzzer!!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
OctavioS

Post by OctavioS »

Really? It really seemed like a buzzer, but a really good one though. Thx.

2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Your 9XR-PRO also doesn't have a buzzer ;) Even my 9x with the megasound board doesn't have a buzzer :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
OctavioS

Post by OctavioS »

:|
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi OctavioS,
This may help you: (viewtopic.php?f=126&t=7745).
Remove components from 9x switch board. :D ;)

Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
feihu47

Post by feihu47 »

A question about the simulator resistor mod. If I made the mod earlier and now have the 9Xtreme board, do I need to take out the resistor in order to use PPMSIM?

Return to “9Xtreme upgrade board”