Receive 9xtreme and Installation

s_mack

Re: Receive 9xtreme and Installation

Post by s_mack »

Time to get some lights on your aircraft so you can start flying at night!

maz

Post by maz »

I probably need to practice more in daylight first... and I think I'm going to postpone configuration until my XJT arrives, so I can do it once alongside the cleanflight setup.
lancaster

Post by lancaster »

Hi Guys

I followed this photo put up by Sentinel45 - it helped as a check so I didnt miss any plug transfers

9X and 9Xtreme now working fine - I'm very pleased

Many thanks to everyone for all the hard work and donation now sent to Mike

Good luck to Steven with the Basic fix

regards Hans
Attachments
Xtreme in place.jpg
Testo

Post by Testo »

I installed my 9Xtreme Board today, but everytime I switch on my Radio immidiatly this message appears "SHUTTING DOWN". Also the speaker makes some kind of noises (very quiet but hearable)
lancaster

Post by lancaster »

Hi Guys

I'm working through the 9Xtreme setup and its looking great so far.

Just a couple of glitches I can't seem to get right:-

I've set up the countdown and inactivity timers but I'm not getting an alarm sound when they are finished - any ideas?

The speaker and other beeps are working fine.

regards
Hans

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Testo wrote:I installed my 9Xtreme Board today, but everytime I switch on my Radio immidiatly this message appears "SHUTTING DOWN".
This would happen if the power switch isn't providing power on one of the pins of the 6-way connector (pin 5 of J4).

Check the cable to this is fully plugged in.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

lancaster wrote:I've set up the countdown and inactivity timers but I'm not getting an alarm sound when they are finished - any ideas?
Assuming you have voice output working from your description, you need to set "Beep countdown" to ON, this will give you voice output at "30 Seconds", "20 seconds", "10 seconds" 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0.
"Minute beep", if set ON, reports whole minutes.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
lcornwell

Post by lcornwell »

Not sure if this is the correct area to ask but I installed the 9xextreme and turned it on but nothing much happens, the LCD screen flashed and turns on but that's it. No text no speaker noise, did I miss something?
gb21914

Post by gb21914 »

Perhaps a noob question...

I have not yet received my board, but am curious ( I am currently running the ER9X with the v2.4 smartieparts er9x board ) ...when I install the 9xtreme board, will I lose my existing model config?
- Greg -
Testo

Post by Testo »

MikeB wrote:
Testo wrote:I installed my 9Xtreme Board today, but everytime I switch on my Radio immidiatly this message appears "SHUTTING DOWN".
This would happen if the power switch isn't providing power on one of the pins of the 6-way connector (pin 5 of J4).

Check the cable to this is fully plugged in.

Mike.
Cables are plugged fine,what voltage should I have on pin 5 and where does it come from?

Regards Lukas
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

lcornwell wrote:Not sure if this is the correct area to ask but I installed the 9xextreme and turned it on but nothing much happens, the LCD screen flashed and turns on but that's it. No text no speaker noise, did I miss something?
Perhaps. Maybe post a picture of your installation. It kind of sounds like the board isn't communicating with the 9X. If you can make note of exactly what colors / sequence the screen is flashing, Mike may be able to help you diagnose because it flashes a certain way to indicate failure I believe.
lcornwell

Post by lcornwell »

s_mack wrote:
lcornwell wrote:Not sure if this is the correct area to ask but I installed the 9xextreme and turned it on but nothing much happens, the LCD screen flashed and turns on but that's it. No text no speaker noise, did I miss something?
Perhaps. Maybe post a picture of your installation. It kind of sounds like the board isn't communicating with the 9X. If you can make note of exactly what colors / sequence the screen is flashing, Mike may be able to help you diagnose because it flashes a certain way to indicate failure I believe.
Here are two pictures, the screen will show red for half a second then turns blue, also I do hear a very faint noise from the speaker, didn't notice it before, like a constant high pitch hum
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

lcornwell wrote:Here are two pictures, the screen will show red for half a second then turns blue, also I do hear a very faint noise from the speaker, didn't notice it before, like a constant high pitch hum
It looks like it is installed correctly. I have limited troubleshooting procedures, simply due to this being so new. You're the first to report this. It sounds to me like contact isn't being made with the 9x, so the things that come to mind (in no particular order) are:

1) check you have a V2 radio
2) clean the pads and spring pins with 99%+ alcohol
3) make sure the pads (that the spring pins meet up with) are reasonably flat and smooth
4) re-seat the board and make sure the screws are tight.
5) inspect the pins for good spring operation and that none of them are significantly off-axis (ie bent or poorly soldered). Also make sure they are all there...should be 4 of them.

If that gets you nowhere, I don't want to waste too much time blindly poking around, so contact me directly and we'll arrange a swap.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

gb21914 wrote:Perhaps a noob question...

I have not yet received my board, but am curious ( I am currently running the ER9X with the v2.4 smartieparts er9x board ) ...when I install the 9xtreme board, will I lose my existing model config?
They will still be on the original board but not accessible any more.
Do the following:
1. Read your er9x EEPROM to a file.
2. Install the 9Xtreme, power up and do the stick calibration.
3. Power off, then power on holding both horizontal trims inwards (radio enters bootloader mode).
4. Connect the USB and you should get 2 storage devices appear on the PC.
5. Run eepskye and read the EEPROM.
6. Also run EEPE and open the file you save in (1) above.
7. Drag and Drop your models from eepe to eepskye. Ignore the warning message.
8. From eepskye, write the EEPROM back tothe radio.

eepskye makes a fair job of converting the models, but you will need to check them carefully. One thing it will probably get wrong is the module protocol as the 9Xtreme supports both internal and external modules and the transferred model may well have the protocol on the wrong one.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Testo wrote:Cables are plugged fine,what voltage should I have on pin 5 and where does it come from?
Pin 5 should be the battery voltage when power is ON.
If that is OK, we'll follow through to locate the problem.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

lcornwell wrote:the screen will show red for half a second then turns blue
The 9Xtreme is trying to flash the original processor, but I don't think it is finishing, When it does finish the backlight should go red if it fails or green if it is OK.

Try what s_mack suggests first, it is likely a connection the the 9X board isn't being made.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
lancaster

Post by lancaster »

Hi Mike
Thanks for the quick reply.

I still seem to have some issues with the timer settings as follows:-

- the minute timer for timers 1 and 2 is set to ON but not working, however an alarm sounds when the countdown timer 1 finishes
- the inactivity alarm is set to 1minute but is not responding (is this a voice function?)

I have unzipped and loaded the voice file 'Voice pk for Ersky 16kz' on to the sd card using my PC and also copied the voice subfolder into a new Voice folder in the root directory just in case the XT cant find the subfolder.

Should I now be getting the welcome voice (at switch on) and other sound functions?

Any suggestions?
PS I also noticed that the speaker connections are reversed on the speaker terminals - I guess that's of no consequence?

regards
Hans
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

lancaster wrote:
I have unzipped and loaded the voice file 'Voice pk for Ersky 16kz' on to the sd card using my PC and also copied the voice subfolder into a new Voice folder in the root directory just in case the XT cant find the subfolder.
Negative.. The voice folder in the zip file must be placed directly on the SD Card root directory, not inside another voice folder..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
lancaster

Post by lancaster »

Hi Joao

Thanks for the quick reply - followed your advice and now voice and timers etc are working fine.

For the benefit of others, here's how I went wrong and finally right:-

try 1 Loaded the full unzipped 'Voice pack for Ersyk 16khz' on to SD card - no sounds
try 2 copied 'voice' subfolder into new folder called 'voice' on SD card (also leaving Voice pack on card) - no sounds

try 3 deleted all folders leaving only 'voice' folder as single folder in directory on SD card - success

thanks again guys
regards
Hans
Testo

Post by Testo »

MikeB wrote:
Testo wrote:Cables are plugged fine,what voltage should I have on pin 5 and where does it come from?
Pin 5 should be the battery voltage when power is ON.
If that is OK, we'll follow through to locate the problem.

Mike.
Bih Thanks Mike, there was an burned conductor near the power switch. Soldered a wire to the next pin and now my 9Xtreme is alive :mrgreen:

Regards Lukas
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

lancaster wrote:
try 3 deleted all folders leaving only 'voice' folder as single folder in directory on SD card - success

Hans
Hans, I think that it is quite well explained on the post where you downloaded the voice pack from. You have to unzip the voice folder to the root directory of the SD Card..
I will read it again though..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
lrussi750

Post by lrussi750 »

s_mack wrote:
lcornwell wrote:Here are two pictures, the screen will show red for half a second then turns blue, also I do hear a very faint noise from the speaker, didn't notice it before, like a constant high pitch hum
It looks like it is installed correctly. I have limited troubleshooting procedures, simply due to this being so new. You're the first to report this. It sounds to me like contact isn't being made with the 9x, so the things that come to mind (in no particular order) are:

1) check you have a V2 radio
2) clean the pads and spring pins with 99%+ alcohol
3) make sure the pads (that the spring pins meet up with) are reasonably flat and smooth
4) re-seat the board and make sure the screws are tight.
5) inspect the pins for good spring operation and that none of them are significantly off-axis (ie bent or poorly soldered). Also make sure they are all there...should be 4 of them.

If that gets you nowhere, I don't want to waste too much time blindly poking around, so contact me directly and we'll arrange a swap.
Hello All, This is my first post and I'm still waiting for the 9Xtreme to arrive. I qas reading the board just to see the results so far and I ran across the above. I never really bothered to check if I have a
version 1 or version 2 radio. Does it make a difference with the 9Xtreme? Do I have to solder a wire in if I have a version 1 radio like in the first link? Thanks!
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

I just checked my mailbox and just received the 9Xtreme board upgrade kit.
9Xtreme Received.jpg
Looks good ! :D
9Xtreme Installation Instructions: (http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/index. ... page&id=33).

Bob B.
Last edited by bob195558 on Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
Testo

Post by Testo »

Another little problem with the speaker. It always makes an annoying high frequent beep, no matter of the volume configuration. Is there a way to get this away?

Regards Lukas
jaskoller

Post by jaskoller »

Received my 9xtreme today. Packaging was just a bubble envelope and protected well. Packaging looks great just as the photo above.

Now, I decided not to install this on my current 9x (already full of mods) so I have received a fresh 9x and a new frsky DHT to install. Any help on installing the DHT to the new board?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Does this go away if you have no RF module running?
Mine has a very low level of noise, but I can't really hear it unless I hold the speaker within a few cm. of my ear.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Could the beep be a stick center beep turned on?
When does the beep happen?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

jaskoller wrote:Any help on installing the DHT to the new board?
Go back to this post:
viewtopic.php?f=126&t=7718&p=102836#p102827
and a couple of posts later the pads for the connections are shown.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jaskoller

Post by jaskoller »

How did I miss that??? Thank you very much!!!
Maxz1

Post by Maxz1 »

Just wanted to let you know that I received my 9Xtreme and it all looks good, very well packaged and all parts are there. I'm off to do the install and will post again when I got it up and working.

Return to “9Xtreme upgrade board”