RGB Backlight and Rotary encoder

jhsa

RGB Backlight and Rotary encoder

Post by jhsa »

I would like to know if the RGB backlight has the same size as the hobbyking backlight we normally install in the 9x radio. The reason I'm asking is because I have a 7 way rotary encoder installed on the radio that will receive the 9Xtreme, And want to make sure everything fit.

Thanks

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

kaznad

Re: RGB Backlight and Rotary encoder

Post by kaznad »

I'm not sure if this will help. But here is a picture of the components together. I have already installed everything so unfortunately I cannot measure for you. But what I can tell you is that it fits snugly behind the screen. Just by looking at the picture in hobbyking site, I would say the 9xtreme backlight have a longer width. (vertical)
Attachments
IMG_20151014_005431.jpg
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Thanks..
The HK backlight rests already on the side of the encoder when installed..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

9Xtreme b/light is 82*51 mm. I don't know HK size. I wasn't copying them, I just made it the "right" size by my determination. Admittedly, I wasn't considering interference from a rotary encoder. The backlight really is just a hunk of plastic, other than the thin tiny circuit board on one long edge. So you may be able to machine it to accomodate?
tedbmoss

Post by tedbmoss »

Re: size of backlight. 51mm is small; 52mm is large.
20151019_091351.jpg
This can be moved around a bit, without causing a problem with the lighting.

Don't forget to change the pad on the back of the x9 motherboard, if you have the original, it is too thick and Steve has supplied a thinner one because of the thickness of the added backlight.

Do not cut the board down to minimum size, it will cause dimming on the edges of the display.
(Vignetting).
Last edited by tedbmoss on Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Thanks for the pic.. the 9xtreme's BL is actually a little shorter in length and that is good. I had to dremel a bit of the encoder's PCB so the HK backlight would fit. By being 2mm shortt it might fit better :)

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Ehem, yeah.... like I said. .. I thought of everything, including the rotary encoder. :mrgreen:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The HK backlight doesn't fit well between the 'posts' for the screws for the PCB. The 9Xtreme RGB backlight does fit between these.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Due to being 2mm shorter I believe..
Steven thought of everything of course :mrgreen:

Thanks

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
willhac

Post by willhac »

How do we connect a rotary encoder with the 9xtreme ?
willhac

Post by willhac »

Anyone can help ?
I'd like to to the rotary encoder mod, with 9xtreme, does it have pads to connect encoder to ?
Or do we connect the encoder as before without the 9xtreme ?
Thanks
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

At present, if you connect the encoder to the original board, on the LCD data lines, this should work. The firmware flashed to the M64/128/2561 should relay the encoder position and switch to the 9Xtreme.
I did test this by flashing a 9X that has the encoder fitted, and connecting to it with wires from the prototype 9Xtreme, but I haven't got an encoder on the 9X I have the production 9Xtreme in.

I also have another possibility in progress. This uses a 3.3V Arduino mini connected to the 9Xtreme using the I2C connection. The Arduino handles the encoder and passes the position to the 9Xtreme. The Arduino could also handle some extra inputs/outputs. I tested the encoder operation using a 9XR-PRO over I2C and it worked fine.
I have only just got an I2C driver working on the 9Xtreme (not a very good one but it works), so I haven't got this working on the 9Xtreme yet.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

You are full of surprises Mike :) I thought you had discarded the arduino option.. Thank you.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

No, just not had time to progress it much. I need to improve the I2C driver code really if it is to be used for an encoder. I also only recently got a 3.3V arduino mini to try for this.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

MikeB wrote:I also only recently got a 3.3V arduino mini to try for this.

Mike.
In many cases a normal 5V arduino can work at 3.3V level.. One example is the multiprotocol DIY RF module.. I built one using a normal 5V arduino but fed 3.3V on the VCC pin. It works well..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

It may work, but as an electronic designer, it is being operated out of spec. This means some people using it will find it doesn't work when it get hot or cold, and if the 3.3V is, perhaps, on the low side.

When I tested by using a 5V Arduino, I used the clock divide by 2 option so it was running at 8MHz, although the oscillator was still running at 16 MHz.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
willhac

Post by willhac »

Ok it' clear to me now about the encoder ;) , so the arduino will also provide additional switch inputs for example ?
Until now I have ELE as 3 pos on PG5, and PB1-PB2 on PC0-PG2, do I have to remove them for the moment ?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

MikeB wrote:It may work, but as an electronic designer, it is being operated out of spec. This means some people using it will find it doesn't work when it get hot or cold, and if the 3.3V is, perhaps, on the low side.

When I tested by using a 5V Arduino, I used the clock divide by 2 option so it was running at 8MHz, although the oscillator was still running at 16 MHz.

Mike.
well, I don't have any 3.3V arduino, so I guess we will have to find out, right? ;) :)
Cold will be widely available in the area I live.. so we can test that.. :)

João

EDIT: I also have arduinos with a "Real" Xtal (not ressonator), and I think I do have some 8Mhz crystals. So, maybe I could just change it and flash the right arduino bootloader. Would this work?

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

willhac wrote:Until now I have ELE as 3 pos on PG5, and PB1-PB2 on PC0-PG2, do I have to remove them for the moment ?
Those inputs to the M64/128 won't be passed to the 9Xtreme.

In the hardware menu, on the 9Xtreme, there are 8 EXT options for extra switches. These use the 8 trim switch inputs on the original mainboard. I'm using one of them to make my ELE switch into a 3-pos switch.
These are on the 9-way connectors, pins 5, 6, 7 and 9.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

willhac wrote:How do we connect a rotary encoder with the 9xtreme ?
I've just been testing a 3.3V arduino mini with a rotary encoder attached and connected to the 9Xtreme over the I2C bus. This seems to be working fine. It only supports the encoder so far, no other connections.
The next test version of the 9Xtreme ersky9x will include this support.
This is the code I'm curently using on the Arduino (3.3V, 8MHz):
I2Cencoder.zip
26-Oct-2015 18:02
(674 Bytes) Downloaded 192 times
Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Thanks Mike.. would it be possible to test this on the 16Mhz pro mini running at 3.3V? To see if it works? I don't have any 8Mhz arduino and ordering now will take a month to arrive :(

Also, if my 9x already has the encoder connected to the m128, can I just leave it like that, or do I have to move it to the arduino?

Thank you

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Look in the .ino file. You will find 3 lines commented out in setup(). These switch the 16MHz for a standard 5V mini down to a clock of 8MHz, so only the oscillator is still running too fast!
I tested on a 'PRO with that version first.

If you already have an encoder on the 9X, it should just work with the 9Xtreme.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

MikeB wrote:Look in the .ino file. You will find 3 lines commented out in setup(). These switch the 16MHz for a standard 5V mini down to a clock of 8MHz, so only the oscillator is still running too fast!
I tested on a 'PRO with that version first.
Thanks Mike.. it's great that we can also use an 16Mhz arduino.
Also great that I can use the current encoder connections.
Are you planning to implement this on the other boards? As you say you tested it on the pro, and I have another ersky9x radio that still doesn't have an encoder installed, and I could test this setup using it.
Thanks
João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
willhac

Post by willhac »

Yes, thanks for this new feature Mike.
Just received a new 9x TX, with micro SD & CR1220 today !
Connected 9Xtreme, all went well.
I'll connect the encoder to the LCD lines first, as I don't have a arduino (yet).
Will this be the first radio with 3 microcontrollers :shock: ?
willhac

Post by willhac »

MikeB wrote:At present, if you connect the encoder to the original board, on the LCD data lines, this should work. The firmware flashed to the M64/128/2561 should relay the encoder position and switch to the 9Xtreme.
It's working perfectly, thanks.
tedbmoss

Post by tedbmoss »

Is there a rotary encoder pc board? How is the install done in the TX?
Thanks in advance for your answer.
willhac

Post by willhac »

You will find a lot of info here for the install :
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1525

TSW-B-3N-CB222 : is the Scroll Wheel with 4 buttons

A design of the board was posted here :
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1084&start=390
Attachments
NavWheelAdapt3.zip
(20.88 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
OctavioS

Post by OctavioS »

MikeB wrote:
willhac wrote:How do we connect a rotary encoder with the 9xtreme ?
I've just been testing a 3.3V arduino mini with a rotary encoder attached and connected to the 9Xtreme over the I2C bus. This seems to be working fine. It only supports the encoder so far, no other connections.
The next test version of the 9Xtreme ersky9x will include this support.
This is the code I'm curently using on the Arduino (3.3V, 8MHz):

I2Cencoder.zip

Mike.
Hi Mike, im trying to flash this software to pro mini 168 - 3.3v, but the following error shows up:

Arduino: 1.6.12 (Windows 10), Placa:"Arduino Pro or Pro Mini, ATmega168 (3.3V, 8 MHz)"

C:\Users\Octávio\Desktop\I2Cencoder\I2Cencoder.ino: In function 'void setup()':

I2Cencoder:19: error: 'requestEvent' was not declared in this scope

exit status 1
'requestEvent' was not declared in this scope

Este relatório teria mais informação com a
opção «Mostrar mensagens detalhadas durante a
compilação» seleccionada nas Preferências.
2x - Turnigy 9X with 9xtreme board;
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Frsky Taranis & Taranis +;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
Radiomaster TX16S Max mark II.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I haven't tried Arduino IDE 1.6.12.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
OctavioS

Post by OctavioS »

Is there any other software i can use for flashing this file to arduino?

Arduino: 1.6.12 (Windows 10), Placa:"Arduino Pro or Pro Mini, ATmega168 (3.3V, 8 MHz)"

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\arduino-builder -dump-prefs -logger=machine -hardware C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware -tools C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\tools-builder -tools C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -built-in-libraries C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries -libraries C:\Users\Octávio\Documents\Arduino\libraries -fqbn=arduino:avr:pro:cpu=8MHzatmega168 -ide-version=10612 -build-path C:\Users\OCTVIO~1\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_166174 -warnings=none -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -prefs=runtime.tools.avrdude.path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -prefs=runtime.tools.avr-gcc.path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -verbose C:\Users\Octávio\Desktop\I2Cencoder\I2Cencoder.ino
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\arduino-builder -compile -logger=machine -hardware C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware -tools C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\tools-builder -tools C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -built-in-libraries C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries -libraries C:\Users\Octávio\Documents\Arduino\libraries -fqbn=arduino:avr:pro:cpu=8MHzatmega168 -ide-version=10612 -build-path C:\Users\OCTVIO~1\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_166174 -warnings=none -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -prefs=runtime.tools.avrdude.path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -prefs=runtime.tools.avr-gcc.path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -verbose C:\Users\Octávio\Desktop\I2Cencoder\I2Cencoder.ino
Using board 'pro' from platform in folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr
Using core 'arduino' from platform in folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr
Detecting libraries used...
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega168 -DF_CPU=8000000L -DARDUINO=10612 -DARDUINO_AVR_PRO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\variants\eightanaloginputs" "C:\Users\OCTVIO~1\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_166174\sketch\I2Cencoder.ino.cpp" -o "nul"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega168 -DF_CPU=8000000L -DARDUINO=10612 -DARDUINO_AVR_PRO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\variants\eightanaloginputs" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\Wire\src" "C:\Users\OCTVIO~1\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_166174\sketch\I2Cencoder.ino.cpp" -o "nul"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega168 -DF_CPU=8000000L -DARDUINO=10612 -DARDUINO_AVR_PRO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\variants\eightanaloginputs" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\Wire\src" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\Wire\src\Wire.cpp" -o "nul"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega168 -DF_CPU=8000000L -DARDUINO=10612 -DARDUINO_AVR_PRO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\variants\eightanaloginputs" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\Wire\src" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\Wire\src\utility\twi.c" -o "nul"
Generating function prototypes...
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega168 -DF_CPU=8000000L -DARDUINO=10612 -DARDUINO_AVR_PRO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\variants\eightanaloginputs" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\Wire\src" "C:\Users\OCTVIO~1\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_166174\sketch\I2Cencoder.ino.cpp" -o "C:\Users\OCTVIO~1\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_166174\preproc\ctags_target_for_gcc_minus_e.cpp"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\tools-builder\ctags\5.8-arduino10/ctags" -u --language-force=c++ -f - --c++-kinds=svpf --fields=KSTtzns --line-directives "C:\Users\OCTVIO~1\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_166174\preproc\ctags_target_for_gcc_minus_e.cpp"
A compilar o rascunho...
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -MMD -flto -mmcu=atmega168 -DF_CPU=8000000L -DARDUINO=10612 -DARDUINO_AVR_PRO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\variants\eightanaloginputs" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\Wire\src" "C:\Users\OCTVIO~1\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_166174\sketch\I2Cencoder.ino.cpp" -o "C:\Users\OCTVIO~1\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_166174\sketch\I2Cencoder.ino.cpp.o"
C:\Users\Octávio\Desktop\I2Cencoder\I2Cencoder.ino: In function 'void setup()':

I2Cencoder:19: error: 'requestEvent' was not declared in this scope

Utilizando a biblioteca Wire com a versão 1.0 na pasta: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\Wire
exit status 1
'requestEvent' was not declared in this scope
Last edited by OctavioS on Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2x - Turnigy 9X with 9xtreme board;
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Frsky Taranis & Taranis +;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
Radiomaster TX16S Max mark II.

Return to “9Xtreme upgrade board”