Any alternate to Com 1 on 9Xtreme for telemetry

120pilot

Any alternate to Com 1 on 9Xtreme for telemetry

Post by 120pilot »

If you frequent the multiprotocol forum on RCGroups you may have seen where I fried a brand new Banggood STM32 4 in 1 module. I plugged it in without a case and managed to connect it one pin to high. I'll attach a sketch showing what I did. Please let me know if the pinout on my sketch is correct. I at 1st thought I was lucky as my 9Xtreme seemed to be functional. But I now believe I no longer have telemetry. It is my understanding that the 9Xtreme uses com port 1 for telemetry? I also believe that there is at least a com 2 which I think may be 3.3 volt and not 5 volt tolerant. So my question is can I connect my telemetry to something other than com 1 to regain the telemetry function. Having telemetry has spoiled me and I am now reluctant to fly some of my multirotors without it.

I have talked to Steven and he indicated that he could provide a schematic if I contact him next week. I would of course like to restore full functionality to the board if possible. In the meantime i am wondering if there may be a work around. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks,

James Phillips

120pilot

Re: Any alternate to Com 1 on 9Xtreme for telemetry

Post by 120pilot »

Hmmm not sure why but I don't see my attachment.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I would be surprised if the COM 1 connection has been damaged as it is protected by 1K resistors, and the input is buffered by a transistor. Also, If I understand what you did wrong, the COM 1 pin wasn't connected. It may be that the serial output of the 4-in-1 module is damaged.

There is a COM 2 connection. This is non-inverted, but should be 5V tolerant. In any case, the STm 4-in-1 module should be sending a 3.3V signal I think.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
120pilot

Post by 120pilot »

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply. I looked at what I had done and with pin 1 (the lowest one in the module bay) of the 9Xtreme not attached to anything I hoped and at first thought I hadn't damaged the 9Xtreme. A little background: I had just gotten my multirotors out for the 1st time since last fall. It's a little late to get started but i was busy with other projects. Anyways my two outdoor multirotors were flying fine when I put them away for the winter. One is a ZMR250 and the other is a 300mm tricopter. For some reason neither of them worked correctly. The zmr wouldnt bind at all and the tricopter would bind and when I tried to take off it would jump up about 40 feet and then drop like a brick. These are my two telemetry models at present. The ZMR had a X4Rsb and the tri had a D4R2. I ended up reloading the flight control software on both and rebinding both receivers. Basically I ended up setting them up again from scratch as if they were new models. The same evening tha t Iwas getting these two models set up again is also when I decided to try my new Banggood STM32 module and fried it. I still have a atmega 328P module that I built back before they were offered on Banggood. It has always worked fine and I have in fact used it all winter indoors with my little quads. The point is that I haven't been able to get Frsky telem since resetting up my two telemetry models which is also the same time I burned the new STM32 module. I have since tried every setting I can think of with no luck. I never had to much trouble getting telemetry before so I am starting to suspect that I did somehow do damage to the 9Xtreme com port. I hope you are right. But at this time I'm at a loss at what else it could be. Oh and just to be clear the new STM32 module is visibly burn't. I have not plugged it back into my 9Xtreme. All flying since then has been with the Atmega328p multiprotocol module. Everything but telemetry seems to work fine.
120pilot

Post by 120pilot »

So if I was to try the Com 2 connection I would have to connect to it at the expansion grid of the 9Xtreme board? And then do I just have to set com 2 to telemetry in ErSky9x? Is there a specific baud rate i should try. And in cleanflight do I still need to enable inverted telemetry? :?

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Have you flashed the AVR module with updated firmware?
The default firmware doesn't send inverted serial data for telemetry, which is the default required for COM1 as the input to the 9Xtreme includes an inverter.
There is an option in the Telemetry menu to "Invert COM1". THis uses a software driver to accept non-inverted serial data.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Mike, I can't remember very well mow, but in my case when I was testing protocol modules, I don't think inverting COM1 worked for me.. might be wrong though.. And at the moment I am not able to test it as I don't have my external multi modules with me.

João

Sent from my thor using Tapatalk

My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
120pilot

Post by 120pilot »

OK guys I was wrong. :oops: I remembered I own a DJT module which I never use since I use my multi-protocol module instead. I found it and bound it to my D4R2 receiver and a few setting changes later I have FrHub telemetry. It took all of about 30 seconds to get it.

Mike I am very happy that you were right and I did not apparently hurt the com 1 port of my 9Xtreme board. I am also sorry to waste your guys time. Now I have to figure out whats up with the telemetry on my DIY Multi-protocol module.

Thanks again,
James
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

See here for how to enable "Raw Logging": viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40&p=123508&hilit=r ... ng#p123508.
Note that the raw logging setting is NOT saved when you power the Tx off.
In the logging setup, enable "New File".

Please try the following:
Connect everything up so you have something sending telemetry, then enable and run raw logging for 10 seconds, then stop it.
Now change the setting for "Invert COM 1" and repeat capturing raw logging for 10 seconds.
Power all off, then access the SD card and find the 2 log files in the "LOGS" directory, put these in a .zip file and post them here for me to look at.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
120pilot

Post by 120pilot »

Hey Mike, sorry but I've had a busy weekend and I am just now seeing this. I will be happy to do some "raw logging". It will have to be tomorrow as it is almost 2am here. Although I have to admit that both my Multi-Module and my 9Xtreme have not had a firmware update in some time. The 1st thing I was going to do was to update firmwares. Do you want me to log as is? Or should I update to the latest 1st and the do the logging?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

As long as you have "raw logging" available, there is no need to update the firmware first.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
120pilot

Post by 120pilot »

Ok Mike, again my apologies for taking so long to get back to this. I've taken on a 2nd job so my spare time has been severely curtailed. Unfortunately I'm afraid I am not able to be as helpful as I would like. I have the following problems with raw logging while com1 is inverted. 1st my ErSky9x firmware is old. It is listed as V.680-Mike, 03.09.2016, ersky9x-pr.219. I have no idea what version of multi firmware I am running but I think I updated both the radio and the multi at the same time so they are both old. Even so, I do have a debug screen with raw logging that I can enable by holding down the menu button. I also have TelRxCount which does count up when my receiver is powered on and stops counting when I unplug the flight battery from the quad. I'm not sure if you determined that means anything or not in regards to telemetry. In your link that talks about how to enable raw logging you say to set up a switch that would turn the logging on or off once enabled. I'm not sure how to set up a switch to do this. Is that what you meant? Or is it sufficient to just push the menu button so the raw logging box is checked? Finally and most problematic is I can't find anywhere that lets me Invert or not Com 1. Is this something that was added after my firmware version? Sorry for being so thick. If you have the patience and can walk me thru it I'm willing to try to get you what you requested.
120pilot

Post by 120pilot »

Hey Mike, I do see a place to assign a Log switch on the 5th telemetry page below the Variometer settings. Is that the log switch you mean? And if so what is the suggested log rate?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

If you have such old versions installed, than perhaps you should update both radio and module as any problem might have been already fixed. Specially the radio's firmware version you have installed is quite old. I believe that since then Mike did a few changes to how the multi module is handled..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
120pilot

Post by 120pilot »

Yep João, I totally agree and that is what I had planned for a 1st step. I'm actually wondering if Mike wasn't asking for the raw logging from you since you mentioned that inverting com 1 didn't work for you. Plus he knows that you know what you are doing and can do it for him easily as opposed to me who clearly isn't quite sure lol :? . The only mystery to me is why did the old software that used to work together stop working? But I'm really not that concerned about the answer since I'll be using updated software anyways. The more I think of it I do recall trying to get telemetry from a Floureon H101. I never got it to work but didn't think to much about it. It is possible that while messing with that I may have set something wrong in config H. Maybe it never worked after that on the FrSky Rxs and I didn't realize it. I can't say for certain whether I've flown the FrSky's since messing with the H101. So yes I think I have some things to sort out on my end before I waste more of Mike's time. But I'll leave that up to him. BTW HK had a sale on
the Taranis X9D plus. I couldn't pass it up especially since at the time I thought my 9Xtreme was damaged. I think I may just put all my Frsky stuff on it and use the 9Xtreme and multi to fly everything else from now on.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I believe Mike was asking you to do some raw logging, not me. :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:

Return to “9Xtreme upgrade board”