FlySky FS-T6 Schematic and Firmware Development

Custom firmware development for the FlySky FS-T6 radio
michkrom

Re: FlySky FS-T6 Schematic and Firmware Development

Post by michkrom »

IT FLIES!

The maiden flight of ART6 firmware - no crash (fw and model)!

http://youtu.be/NqC_zHI5ojs
Michal

alexdspt

Post by alexdspt »

Hey guys,
I have been following the progress of the github page. I would just like to know if you think that an update will ever be realeased (it seems to me that you're going strong). Also, do you think that the update may be able to solve the memory issues and the range issues that sometimes the transmitter has? I'll be honest, I am considering buying this transmitter but some of the comments I read are not very promising and as such I am trying to decide between the FS-i6 and the FS-T6. I prefer the T6 because of the LiPo mod, the switches are on top, the scroll wheel and the overall look of it. But its issues, specially the range issue really puts me off... Can any of you give me any info about any of the things above mentioned (both the range with stock firmware and the progress of the custom firmware)? Thanks and keep up the good work! :)
Cheers
michkrom

Post by michkrom »

>> But its issues, specially the range issue really puts me off
The FW has no bearing on the range - this is a property of the transmitter module itself (and antenna). I.e. it's hardware limitation.
I have been flying my 2 T6es to the limit of my sight and i did not see any range problems (no pun intended :-). Perhaps other tx are better but I have no comparison. Perhaps one of 9x with removable tx module would suit you?

AFAIK the memory problems have been fixed in latest original fw (ca 2012).

The custom fw is in 'alpha' - not all features are implemented (vs 9x.)
Michal
michkrom

Post by michkrom »

Is it 128KiB flash CPU or not? Unfortunately it does not appear so.

The CPU on the board is STM32F100R8T6B.

This decodes as follows (according to http://www.st.com/st-web-ui/static/acti ... 251732.pdf)

STM32F100R8T6B:
STM32 - 32 bit arm micro-controller
F - general purpose
100 - value line
R - 64 pins
8 - 64KiB flash (128KiB would be marked as "B" here)
T - LQFP package
6 - Industrial temperature range, –40 to 85 °C
B - Internal code

The 128KiB rumor started with the use of stm32flash utility. It reports a 128KiB flash. Both of my T6es have the same chip and the utility reports 128KiB flash. Martin's Tx also reports so. Likely, this is bug in the utility.

Oh well we will have to compress the code more then :-(.
Michal
mkschreder

Post by mkschreder »

I have been experimenting with the hardware and put together this:

:)

LibK - Cross platform bare metal firmware development library: https://github.com/mkschreder/martink

mkschreder

Post by mkschreder »

michkrom wrote:Is it 128KiB flash CPU or not? Unfortunately it does not appear so.

The CPU on the board is STM32F100R8T6B.

This decodes as follows (according to http://www.st.com/st-web-ui/static/acti ... 251732.pdf)

STM32F100R8T6B:
STM32 - 32 bit arm micro-controller
F - general purpose
100 - value line
R - 64 pins
8 - 64KiB flash (128KiB would be marked as "B" here)
T - LQFP package
6 - Industrial temperature range, –40 to 85 °C
B - Internal code

The 128KiB rumor started with the use of stm32flash utility. It reports a 128KiB flash. Both of my T6es have the same chip and the utility reports 128KiB flash. Martin's Tx also reports so. Likely, this is bug in the utility.

Oh well we will have to compress the code more then :-(.
I'm pretty sure my stm32f100r8t6b has 128kb (even though the datasheet says otherwise). I managed to flash 130kb to it (a little over that generated flash overflow) and then I also managed to print the data out to a serial port and boot my firmware. It all looked nice, so the data had to go somewhere. It could be that the datasheet has a typo in it or it could be that my chip has the wrong numbers printed on it.

Try flash yours with firmware over 64k and see if it works. Perhaps it will just like it does for me. :)
LibK - Cross platform bare metal firmware development library: https://github.com/mkschreder/martink
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Is it a STM32F100R8T6B or a STM32F100RBT6B?

It could be poor printing and the B looks like an 8. The B is 128K, the 8 is 64K.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
mkschreder

Post by mkschreder »

Pretty sure it is an 8. Looks like a snowman. B in the end is more flat on one side. Perhaps they just put 128k into them just to avoid reprogramming the production line for two different chips or something - maybe cheaper that way. I'm rather surprised as well, I must say. But I haven't looked deeper into what is actually happening. All I can say is that after writing 130k fw with stm32flash, I could read both the huge data array back and run my firmware.. so at least it didn't overwrite anything. May look further into it later if I experience any problems along the way.. or maybe my board is one in a million that got 128k indeed.

I would suggest anyone who has the fst6 board to try and burn 128k firmware to it using the ST bootloader and stm32flash utility and report back on the results. Would be interesting to know.
michkrom

Post by michkrom »

Right Martin... it's a snowman's 8! Certainly an 8. The B is at the end and looks different.

And, right you are - the flash does write and read all 128KiB! Verified by concatenating two FWs (FS and AR) and flashing it in. The write then read back checks out. Also, it boots to the first one (and it would not if the addresses simply had wrapped on the begining)...

Perhaps STM makes a single chip silicon but then bins it into 16, 32, 64 and 128 KiB options. Likely testing flash takes time and time is big money on IC testers so they only test a part of the flash. I suppose they would not bin it based on actual failures in the flash itself as it would be to costly at these price points.

Great that I was wrong.
We have flash to splurge and we are not afraid to use it!
Last edited by michkrom on Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michal
michkrom

Post by michkrom »

Along the same lines - I have recently discovered that for long time we were running the CPU @ 35MHz while it was speced @ 24MHz. It was running quite nicely overclocked, no complains( well tested only at room temp...)
Michal
michkrom

Post by michkrom »

I have just added a stand-alone makefile so the firmware can be build with plain arm-none-eabi toolchain (4.9.2q4) https://launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded/+download. Tested on linux an windows. Also we can now reprogram stock firmware to ar-t6 and back to stock with a CT6 data cable or a generic serial USB cable w/o opening the case. So no SWD, eclipse, codesourcery etc necessary anymore.

so something like this should do (writing from memory):

Code: Select all

git clone https://github.com/art103/ar-t6
cd ar-t6/firmware
make
stm32flash -w ar-t6.bin -v /dev/ttyUSB0
** THIS IS STILL EARLY ALPHA ** not advised for mission critical use (ie flight).
Michal
Marcos

Post by Marcos »

Hello.
Here is one enthusiast reporting for duty. I am quite new for the whole embed scene and specially for ST's ARM's. I have been messing about with the TI's micros for some time now. So I have some knowledge in C programming and micros, but I am in quite early stages still.

The thing that got me interested in the embed world, was that I wanted to make my own RC RX/TX. I found out that there was quite bit bigger hill for me to clime, that I had first expected. Now over two years later, I am still intrigued by the embed world and all of it's possibilities. As I am doing this as a hobby with no previous education in the subject my progress is quite slow sometimes. Still I have managed to complete some simple projects and started lots of not so simple ones, that have progressed quite well.
But enough about me.

I found about AR-T6 from art103's blog page in last fall. I have since bought a second FS-T6 and I have soldered wires to it to be able to flash the firmware with stflash. (Yes I know that one can flash the firmware now days with USB cable, but I have not found it in my self to make one. Yet.)
I really would like to contribute to this project anyway I can. I am still quite hesitant to take the source and just mess with it, as I don't trust my skills enough to make anything than a big mess, but if anyone has some trivial and/or boring things for me to do or try (testing ect.) I am more than willing to help.

I also have couple of questions.
I would like to try flashing the original FW back to my transmitter, do I have to flash or erase the eeprom chip? Also does anyone know how to calibrate the sticks in the original FW? As the transmitter had a issue with the sticks not being centred with the original FW. The custom AR-T6 FW had no issues calibrating the sticks. I am asking because I would like to use my second transmitter as trainer TX with my friend, while I am not doing any testing of the AR-T6.
michkrom

Post by michkrom »

I would like to try flashing the original FW back to my transmitter, do I have to flash or erase the eeprom chip?
No, no need to erase the eeprom. However, the content of eeprom will be lost as orig vs ART-6 are not compatible.
Also does anyone know how to calibrate the sticks in the original FW?
I do not think there is.
As the transmitter had a issue with the sticks not being centred with the original FW. The custom AR-T6 FW had no issues calibrating the sticks. I am asking because I would like to use my second transmitter as trainer TX with my friend, while I am not doing any testing of the AR-T6.
I am using ART-6 as student's TX flying with my son. It works. I would be cautious to use ART-6 as primary tx - fly close in case of a failure.
Michal
michkrom

Post by michkrom »

One can use a pre-build cable to flash fw into TS-6, where custom or original.

https://www.google.com/#q=USB+download+ ... -CT6B/CT6A

Instructions here:

http://minkbot.blogspot.com/2015/03/fs- ... grade.html
Michal
nixel

Post by nixel »

Marcos wrote:Also does anyone know how to calibrate the sticks in the original FW? As the transmitter had a issue with the sticks not being centred with the original FW.
In original FW with turned off TX you must tilt both sticks left-down and turn on power.
john888

Post by john888 »

Hi guys
my tx flysky t6 burn chip STM32f100R8T6 , but now i only find chip STM32F103R8T6 , it can replace old chip ?
Last edited by john888 on Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chils41

Post by chils41 »

Hi this question is not exactly related to FS-T6, but may be you guys can steer me in the right direction.

What I am trying to accomplish is I want to install Custom Splash Screen by modifying firmware on my FS-i6 Radio.

thanks
fishermansteve

Post by fishermansteve »

is there sum one that can help me please. i have a fly sky fst6 transmitter .i switched it on last week and the back light will light up to show the power is on. but there is no programs showing on the led screen no righting comes up nothing at all just a plain back light. this transmitter is only 2 year old and as been used 6 or 7 times. i paid 50£ for this but now they are only 37£ on e bay is it possible that this can be repaired buy my self. or if not is it worth having it repaired. please help thanks for your time Steve
john888

Post by john888 »

Hello Guys

my tx f6 burned because i plug wrong polar.

I bought a chip STM32F103R8T6 LQFP64 72mhz , it same pin chip orginal fs6 STM32F100R8T6B. I don't find a chip orginal available on market .

i can flash firmware orginal ? any modifi code to suitable new chip ?
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

I was reading your post a while back...
Just got to the point of an update today...
great work... great success... congratulations!!!
Custom 9x with M64/Telemetry Mod
CatRovacer

Post by CatRovacer »

How far this implementation deviates from the er9x?
good food & warm summer
CatRovacer

Post by CatRovacer »

I tried build ar-t6 on different PC. Both under ubuntu 16.04
On one : arm-none-eabi-gcc V4.7.4 and result size of firmware 76936B
On second: arm-none-eabi-gcc V4.9 and result size of firmware 64KB
work fine. but i shake well structure and makefile. If build with original ar-t6 project - size 83K (((

Also in second case no compiled assembler insertions in system.c (jump to bootloader)
I unpack same archive with project on both PC

Why?
good food & warm summer
prikrylm

Post by prikrylm »

...a little bit historical project, but I was able to shrink (and a little bit "debug") the original code. So you can find fork on github, build is included.
https://github.com/prikrylm/ar-t6

Return to “AR-T6”