CRSF protocol for TBS Crossfire?

ersky9xr is the port of the er9x firmware to the 9XRPRO radio.
mikeymac22

Re: CRSF protocol for TBS Crossfire?

Post by mikeymac22 »

How do you factory reset the Crossfire Micro Module. I bought the micro bundle, wired it to my Fc as shown in the manual, downloaded the Open Tx 2.2 firmware and sd card contents and couldnt get it to work. I somehow selected something where the region no longer shows or gives me that option. I would like to reset the module and start over from the beginning. Could anyone point me in that direction or have experience? Many thanks.

EdwardMcRichy

Post by EdwardMcRichy »

oo20 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:31 am Hi Mike,

UPDATED:
F8 appears to work correctly with items I was initially concerned about FASV (voltage), RSSI and TSSI. I see Amps working also (great). Is it possible to add LQ also? I see people using this now as a means of needing to return. I was also wondering if we could get mah used after LQ also. I think if you could use real hardware, it would give you the proper feedback you need. If you setup a GoFundMe page (or something proper), I can donate and maybe others can donate some money for a Crossfire and Micro Receiver V2 for you. Ideally the expensive one. Maybe $50 or more next month depending on if things are going well. Maybe others can contribute. BTW, the d5 version works well for many mountain flights this year. I'm using version F8 now and will start testing / building trust in it.

Thank you.
Looks like you've been using crossfire for a little while now, how's it been going? Everything working well for you? Thinking of getting one.

Any feed back from anyone using the crossfire on 9xr pro with ersky9xr?
When I'm not flying I'm dreaming of flying, when I'm not dreaming of flying.....I'm asleep
oo20

Post by oo20 »

Yeah, the 9xr pro and with the firmware installed 12/28/2017 (I mentioned F8) and firmware seems to be at the state I mentioned above. Flying plenty since then. The hardware that works decent is TBS Crossfire w/ display, diamond antenna, immortal T, and micro receiver V2. I'm using the diamond and immortal T horizontally right now. I haven't had the need to purchase any of the Taranis radios yet (because I have two 9xr pros) or explored vertical mounting or diversity receiver. I was hoping more work could be done by MikeB on the firmware on the 9xr Pro (as mentioned in my previous post) and suggested some methods we could probably help him with getting some equipment for development. I haven't heard from MikeB. It's great work so far, but would like to have it move forward. Not sure about menus, scripting and other features (primarily just what I mentioned in my previous post).
EdwardMcRichy wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:01 pm
oo20 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:31 am Hi Mike,

UPDATED:
F8 appears to work correctly with items I was initially concerned about FASV (voltage), RSSI and TSSI. I see Amps working also (great). Is it possible to add LQ also? I see people using this now as a means of needing to return. I was also wondering if we could get mah used after LQ also. I think if you could use real hardware, it would give you the proper feedback you need. If you setup a GoFundMe page (or something proper), I can donate and maybe others can donate some money for a Crossfire and Micro Receiver V2 for you. Ideally the expensive one. Maybe $50 or more next month depending on if things are going well. Maybe others can contribute. BTW, the d5 version works well for many mountain flights this year. I'm using version F8 now and will start testing / building trust in it.

Thank you.
Looks like you've been using crossfire for a little while now, how's it been going? Everything working well for you? Thinking of getting one.

Any feed back from anyone using the crossfire on 9xr pro with ersky9xr?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I just need enough time to progress everything!
I'm currently extending Crossfire support to other radios (9Xtreme, Taranis etc.).
I'll try to find time to look into adding Crossfire script support soon.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
bnbarr

Post by bnbarr »

Hi.. excuse my ignorance.

what is required to use crossfire on my th9x with ar9x board?. Is there a firmware available (or will there be) Im yet to purchase a crossfire module( i want to check if it is or will be possible before I do).
Thanks

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Crossfire uses what is normally the telemetry signal (bottom pin of the module connector) in a bi-directional mode at 400Kbaud.
The AR9X board doesn't directly support bi-directional operation on this signal. It is possible to combine the Tx signal with the Rx signal, by using a diode, and this works OK for bi-directional operation at 57600 baud when using the FrSky SPort.
Due to the AR9X using a transistor inverter on the output, I'm not sure that this method will work at 400Kbaud. I believe the FrSky QX7 has a problem running at 400Kbaud, and so operates at 200Kbaud. Some testing would need to be done on an AR9X board to see if this could work.
At present, I haven't implemented the Crossfire protocol on the AR9X (or original SKY) board.
I do have it working on the 9XR-PRO (same processor), but that has a "real" SPort driver in hardware.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Hertz

Post by Hertz »

Mike, any plans for 9xtreme crossfire support, or maybe I could help somehow?
I have the latest 221 version from your page, but it only has PPM, XJT, DSM2 and Multi as protocols.
Last edited by Hertz on Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

It should be in and working on release 221 (was included in the g8 test version). I can only check the output (external module) on a 'scope.
r221 should also support it on the Taranis.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Hertz

Post by Hertz »

Hmm, I only found g2 in this thread: http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4676
Do you know of any hardware limitations on the 9xtreme which could prevent it from running telemetry? I have the crossfire and a logic analyzer and could collect some data if you like.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

If you are running eepskye, it should have reported there is a new release available (on www.er9x.com).
Crossfire telemetry is also supported.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Hertz

Post by Hertz »

Thanks, I'll check it in eePskye. I think README.md is a bit outdate and doesn't mention which ARM toolchain you're using, I've tried the latest we use for BetaFlight (7-2017-q4) and it fails to flash onto the radio.
I've also fixed a couple of warnings that look like bugs, will submit a PR.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'm using 4.8.3 of the compiler, it works so I haven't seen a need to update it!
From where do you get the compiler you are using?

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Hertz

Post by Hertz »

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I just tried this latest compiler. It built erksy9x for both a 9XR-PRO and the 9Xtreme, OK and both run.
However, both now have around 1400 bytes more of initialised data!

I look to see what this is, but all that is extra RAM being used, the BSS is about the same size.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Hertz

Post by Hertz »

Weird, I tried to flash my resulting hex with eePskye and it failed at nearly 70% of flashing.
I'm currently using r221, and with it set to Xfire for external module my Crossfire binds receivers in PPM mode. To switch to SBUS or CRSF it need to be configured to do so, and ErSky9x lacks this functionality for now.

I guess we need to port this https://downloads.open-tx.org/2.2/night ... 2V0014.zip in order for the Crossfire Micro module to become useful.
Last edited by Hertz on Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Checking your connections. Unlike all the other protocol, crossfire protocol uses the "SPort" signal in bi-directional mode (bottom pin of the module connector). Are you connecting to this pin?

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Hertz

Post by Hertz »

Yes, I am connecting it. It's also connected to internal XJT module, but it's disabled, so it shouldn't be an issue I suppose.
My Crossfire receiver works an outputs PPM, the issue is to configure it we need either UI support or port the LUA script to BASIC:
https://downloads.open-tx.org/2.2/night ... 2V0014.zip

For the sake of testing, I've connected my Crossfire TX to module bay omitting the top (PPM) connector, it still works and receiver outputs valid PPM signal. Everything works as intended, what we lack is a means of talking to TX and RX (and other devices) via CRSF, like we do with SmartPort from BASIC scripts. Or some additional UI in the Protocol Setup page, allowing to switch PPM/CRSF/SBUS output on the receiver, as well as module output power. I think it's better to port these LUA scripts then if everything is ready.
IMG_20180310_235530.jpg
So I guess we lack equivalents of these functions:
luaCrossfireTelemetryPush
luaCrossfireTelemetryPop

And the corresponding LUA scripts converted to BASIC.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I see. So is the only way to configure a crossfire receiver is from the Tx (via script or using a crossfire Tx)?

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Hertz

Post by Hertz »

I have really limited experience with it for now, but it looks like that, receiver can only be configured via Full TX or via Telemetry Scripts.
I'll look into porting the scripts, at least a small subset to prove it works.

Does BASIC support byte-array parameters as of now? CRSF returns variable-length arrays of payload.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'll look into adding equivalents to:
luaCrossfireTelemetryPush
luaCrossfireTelemetryPop
to the script language.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Hertz

Post by Hertz »

Hey Mike, any estimates on when the new functions may become available?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'll try to get them running over the next few days.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The test version "ersky9xProvR222a1.zip" I've posted includes a "crossfirereceive" script function.
It takes 3 parameters:
a variable to hold a length value
a variable to hold the command byte
a byte array to hold the rest of the payload.

Whether this is any use without a crossfiresend function I don't know.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Hertz

Post by Hertz »

Setting up a Crossfire device requires both functions :)
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I thought it might, I'm working on the "send" function.
Currently, the following crossfire telemetry packets are processed:
CRSF_GPS_ID
CRSF_LINK_ID
CRSF_BATTERY_ID
CRSF_ATTITUDE_ID
If a packet has any other ID, then it is passed to the script (e.g. FLIGHT_MODE_ID ).

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Hertz

Post by Hertz »

Awesome Mike, I'm starting work on Crossfire script then, thank you
Hertz

Post by Hertz »

Any updates on the send function?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I think I now have the code in place, now I need to write a script to test it, using a 'scope on the transmitted signal.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Hertz

Post by Hertz »

I can test it for you on real hardware scoping with a logic analyzer :-)
LoafFPV

Post by LoafFPV »

I just wanted to thank you MikeB for the work you put into developing this for a quite obsolete device, really great to read through this thread and others related to the ersky9xr firmware. I have a 9xr-Pro and a tbs crossfire micro modul and if I could get these two to work with CRFS that would be awesome, since I really like the radio. I would gladly do some tests when the next test version is out.

Return to “ersky9xr”