CRSF protocol for TBS Crossfire?

ersky9xr is the port of the er9x firmware to the 9XRPRO radio.
oo20

Re: CRSF protocol for TBS Crossfire?

Post by oo20 »

MikeB,

d5 didn't resolve the telemetry for RSSI and FasV (Voltage) but control still works. My settings for Telemetry are posted earlier. Any other setting changes I need to make since the revisions between D5 and D1? If I revert to D1, RSSI and FasV works but scaler for FasV is off by a decimal and dropped a digit. I appreciate you looking into this.

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Please check the "TelRxCount" value is incrementing in the "debug" display (UP LONG then RIGHT 6 times).

You have the UsrProto set to Mavlk, this will route the telemetry to the Mavlink processing, not the CRSF processing. Try setting the UsrProto to Frsky.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
oo20

Post by oo20 »

MikeB (DeVere below),

UsrProto FrSky resolved the issues with firmware D5, 9xr Pro and Crossfire. The voltage on my 9xr Pro and Flight Controller are now consistent. I'm seeing RSSI and control works. I'm now seeing AMPS (one minor issue: if you want to be consistent with the flight controller another digit can be added in the decimal place - the number is correct otherwise and no scaling issues). I'm now seeing TSSI (one minor issue: TX= shows in the custom values status page instead of TSSI where as RSSI shows instead of RX=). FWAT and custom values doesn't make sense on the radio and not sure what they translate to. The capacity drawn is on the flight controller, but not sure if you can get that value (I looked through the custom values to see if it maps to anything). Great work! I'll be doing some testing and distance soon considering my antenna setup.

DeVere, Someone might want to test Mavlink setting and GPS again. I don't have anything to test that right now... but it would be great to know if it works or not if I wanted to control with a laptop in the future with other types of firmware.

Thanks again.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Check the "Fuel" value, it seems I've put the mAh used in there. I'll move it to "mAh".

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Kahn

Post by Kahn »

It seems to me that the telemetry I am getting back from the Crossfire is not being decoded correctly. I have tried both the ersky9xr_rom (Vers: 1760-Mike, Date: 04.12.2016 SVN:ersky9x-r220) and the ersky9xr_rom_r221E3 (Vers: V.6779- Date: 20.08.2017 SVN:ersky9x-pe3r221) while using the latest beta from TBS (V 2.06). RxSSI and TxSSI both are correct but everything else in the telemetry stream is displayed as zero or bogus values. In addition, these additional telemetry fields are blinking in and out. Anybody else having these issues?

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Hi welcome to the forum..

I believe Mike has been working on that protocol..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
DeVere

Post by DeVere »

Well, after a thousand diversions, I think I'll be able to try this again soon.
(Mavlink via crsf)
If there's a specific version I should use (that's not obvious), let me know.
John
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'm not sure if it will work as I can't test it. Probably use the most recent test version as that is where any chnages I do will be added.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Kahn

Post by Kahn »

I would like to see development using TBS 2.06 or higher. I would like to use the micro-V2 receiver and the earlier versions do not have CRSF on them. I have the hardware to test with and a EE degree. How can I help?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

What transmitter do you have?
Can you find, or post a link to, technical details of what is different in 2.06?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Kahn

Post by Kahn »

I have the turnigy 9xr pro radio transmitter. Release notes are included in the TBS Agent software. I'll try and cut and past it here later today.
Kahn

Post by Kahn »

For Beta Release Notes please scroll down

V1.57 2016-10-17 ( including versions from V1.53 to V1.57 )
Most important changes:
- added: Support for completely legal use for countries following FCC, C-Tick and ETSI
- added: Region selection ( open, FCC, C-Tick and CE/ETSI ). Selecting any beside open will
lock the system according to selected rules. Only allowed setting will be available
by OLED menu once the system is locked.
- added: Konami code to unlock the system once locked
( up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, enter, enter )
- added: Channel based spectrum analyzer for noise floor, LQ and SNR
- added: CRSF V2 support including telemetry and even lower latency between Open-TX and Crossfire
( requires Open-TX 2.2.x beta and lua script on SD card )
- added Selectable SBUS rate ( use 50Hz max for DJI FCs )
- added: Factory reset
- improved Better concept for dynamic power to avoid power ramping up fast if not required

- Known issue: System reverts frequency to 868Mhz when binding or OTA updading receiver.

More details below:
V1.57 2016-10-17
- fixed: False RC failsafe message using APM FC with Android Tower App.
- fixed: Unstable uplink using CRSF between RC and TBS CROSSFIRE for certain units

V1.55 2016-10-08
- added: Factory reset
- improved: Timing for Bluetooth and CRSF communication
- improved: Noise floor measurement
- fixed: 12 channel mode working with telemetry off
- fixed: Dynamic power setting doesn't get lost during power cycle
- fixed: 12 channel PPM doesn't send servo min position until link established the first time

V1.53 2016-09-20
- added: Support for completely legal use for countries following FCC, C-Tick and ETSI
- added: Region selection ( open, FCC, C-Tick and CE/ETSI ). Selecting any beside open will
lock the system according to selected rules. Only allowed setting will be available
by OLED menu once the system is locked.
- added: Konami code to unlock the system once locked
( up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, enter, enter )
- added: Channel based specturm analyzer for noise floor, LQ and SNR
- added: CRSF V2 support including telemetry and even lower latency between Open-TX and Crossfire
( requires Open-TX 2.2.x beta and lua script on SD card )
- added: Selectable SBUS rate ( use 50Hz max for DJI FCs )
- improved: Better concept for dynamic power to avoid power ramping up fast if not required

V1.44 2016.08.26
- improved: More accurate power levels for 10mW, 25mW, 100mW and 500mW

- Warning: DJI FCs don't support 150Hz SBUS update rate. Please use PPM, disable telemetry
or update to V1.57 or higher.

V1.40 2016.07.26 ( including versions from V1.20 to V1.39 )
Most important changes:
- added: New high bandwidth and ultra low latency RF profile
- added: Up to 150Hz update rate for RC signals
- added: Serial bridge and full MAVLink support
- added: MAVLink parser added, feeding forward relevant data to the
TBS CORE PRO ( requires TBS CORE PRO firmware V1.38 or newer )
- added: MAVLink dynamic bandwidth control for incoming messages. This gives high update rate for forwarded
messages to BST and make the frames fit the downlink avoiding buffer overflow and high latency
- added: RC over MAVLink support added ( RC_CHANNELS_OVERRIDE ). Can be enabled on RX settings.
- added: Forward RC frame to core pro for menu navigation by sticks ( only if no mixer active on remote )
- added: Bluetooth mode selectable by menu
- added: Crossfire 8ch Diversity receiver can now update TBS BLACKBOX and XF micro receiver over USB and BST
- added: Menu option do disable telemetry downlink( under RX settings )
- modified: Intelligent RF profile selection ( new and current RF profile ) optimizing
for maximum bandwidth or long range
- added: Assume 100% LQ at 50Hz. Maximum refresh rate is 150Hz, so 300%. For better
understanding of link quality relative to signal throughput.
- improved: CRC protection improved to make the system even more resistant against picking up invalid frames
- improved: Receiver reacts on button in press event if in find mode
- improved: New failsafe shortcut ( joystick short down to long up ) to avoid setting failsafe when
remote is laying on the ground.
- fixed: Glitches or losing control of channel 5-8

More details below:
V1.39 2016.07.21
- added: Configure PX MAVLink stream for Crossfire ( no more extras file on SD for PX4 )
- added: Crossfire calculate used capacity for OSD as APM doesn't provide this information
- fixed: RC Failsafe message for tower app
- improved: Don't show downlink RSSI, SNR and LQ if telemetry is disabled
- improved: Receiver will wake up instantly and turn on green LED when pressing bind button in find mode.
Receiver shutting down by button (press button for 3s) in find mode will be confirmed
by blink code.
- improved: New failsafe shortcut ( joystick short down to long up ) to avoid setting failsafe when
remote is laying on the ground.

V1.36 2016.07.14
- improved: Don't set failsafe and packet loss bits for SBUS if failsafe type is "FS.POS."

V1.34 2016.06.24
- fixed: TX also enter find mode if link is active
- fixed: Full 150Hz update rate for SBUS
- improved: Firmware update stability
- improved: Failsafe cut for SBUS will keep sending an SBUS frame but with all values 0
- added: Failsafe and packet loss bits for SBUS

V1.31 2016.06.06
- fixed: Dynamic switching between RF profiles
- fixed: Headtracker roll source added
- improved: Update rate increades to 50Hz for normal update rate and 150Hz for high bandwidth RF profile

V1.23 2016-03-26
- improved: Dynamic RF profile switching
- fixed: Glitches or losing control of channel 5-8
- fixed: update rate limiter for SBUS and PPM over MAVLink

- Known issue: Sometimes 1s Failsafe. No issue if telemetry is disabled. Racers should be
flown without telemetry.

V1.20 2016-02-26
- added: New high bandwidth and ultra low latency RF profile
- added: 3 times faster RC update rate with new RF profile ( cuts down latency to 5ms best / 12ms worst )
- added: New selection for Output 8 ( Bridge and MAVLInk )
- added: Serial bridge support added. 1.2kB/s throughput with baudrate 57600. Output 8 ( uart TX ),
Output 7 ( uart RX ) and Output 6 ( uart RTS flow control )
- added: MAVLink support added. Baudrate 57600. Output 8 ( TX ) and Output 7 ( RX ) Can be connected
to any MAVLink telemetry port, gives full MAVLink support in new RF profile and basic support
in current RF profile
- added: MAVLink parser added, feeding forward relevant data to the
TBS CORE PRO ( requires TBS CORE PRO firmware V1.38 or newer )
- added: MAVLink dynamic bandwidth control for incoming messages. This gives high update rate
for forwarded messages to BST and make the frames fit the downlink avoiding buffer
overflow and high latency
- added: RC over MAVLink support added ( RC_CHANNELS_OVERRIDE ). Can be enabled on RX settings.

- modified: Intelligent RF profile selection ( new and current RF profile ) optimizing
for maximum bandwidth or long range
- fixed: Headtracker input support. Two channels ( pan and tilt ) can be mapped individually from any
HT Input channel to and overwrite a channel on the RC input frame
- added: Crossfire is a RC frame source via BST. Navigate through TBS CORE PRO menu with remote sticks,
without ColibriRACE ( TBS CORE PRO firmware V1.38 or newer )
- added: Bluetooth mode selection added ( off, MAVLink emulator, Bridge and MAVLink ). If Bluetooth module
is not disabled it will change mode depending on the receiving frames from the receiver
- added: Crossfire 8ch Diversity receiver can now update TBS BLACKBOX and XF micro receiver
over USB and BST
- added: Menu option do disable telemetry downlink( under RX settings )

- improved: CRC protection improved to make the system even more resistant against picking up
invalid frames
- improved: Dynamic power mode hysterisis tuned. 2s delay added for reducing power level. Increase power
level only on burst frame loss not on single frame lost
- improved: RX automatically binds to the transmitter after successful firmware update over the air if
it wasn't bound before.

V1.09 2015-11-26
- added: Show signal strength bar on find mode page if no GPS is attached
- fixed: Uplink sync loss when downlink is lost ( huge range improvement on high power in very noisy environment )
- improved: More advanced CRC check to avoid wrong telemetry data
- improved: Split up telemetry data to increase throughput if link has low link quality
- improved: Dynamic power triggers changed to make it more stable even flying in a group of people
- improved: Re-sync time in force telemetry mode
- improved: Some small code improvements and fixes

V1.06 2015-10-27
- added: Micro receiver support
- added: TX loads receivers firmware and stores it internally for firmware update over RF
- added: Firmware update over RF ( V1.06 and above )
- added: SBUS and non-inverted SBUS support for all receivers ( channel 8 on diversity receiver )
- added: PPM and SBUS stream mapping
- added: LQ/RSSI can now be mapped into PPM/SBUS streams
- added: Digital low latency input capability added for upcoming OpenTX release
- fixed: Futaba 12Ch. PPM support added

v1.00 2015-09-12
- First release

------------------------
Beta Release Notes
------------------------

Please send feedback to [email protected] or post here:
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php ... e-Releases

V2.09 05-10-2017
- improved: Switching between RF Profiles (better low range link stability)

V2.08 18-09-2017
- added: 868CE and 915 Australia frequency selection added if region is open
- fixed: Minor bug fixes and improvements

V2.07 16-09-2017
- added: Lower CRSF baudrate support for X7 remote

V2.06 05-08-2017
- added: Show active software license on TBS Agent License tap (Agent V1.40 or higher required)

V2.05 28-07-2017
- added: FLARM support
- added: SmartAudio support for Micro RX
- added: Micro TX target support
- improved: RSSI to PWM scaling

V1.67 2017-07-06
- fixes: Revert frequency to 868Mhz when binding or OTA updading receiver bug fixed.

V1.65 2017-05-30
- improved: CRSF support ( KISS FC telemetry and settings )
- fixes: some CRSF telemetry frames

V1.63 2017-02-15
- added: CRSF parameters support
- fixed: Increases CRSF channel range

V1.62 2017-01-06
- added: Crossfire TX non-inverted CRSF support for Graupner remotes (MZ-12 - MZ-24)
- added: CRSF support for all receivers. Crossfire micro V2 and diversity support also CRSF telemetry.
The receiver can be connected to betaflight sending RC and receiving telemetry using
CRSF (betaflight 3.1.0 or higher required). Telemetry can be streamed to any OpenTX Remote.
- improved: MAVLink library updated
- imporved: OLED Menu text for better understanding
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

So what, exactly, is different that requires the protocol data I'm currently sending to fail with 2.06?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Kahn

Post by Kahn »

Kahn wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:13 pm It seems to me that the telemetry I am getting back from the Crossfire is not being decoded correctly. I have tried both the ersky9xr_rom (Vers: 1760-Mike, Date: 04.12.2016 SVN:ersky9x-r220) and the ersky9xr_rom_r221E3 (Vers: V.6779- Date: 20.08.2017 SVN:ersky9x-pe3r221) while using the latest beta from TBS (V 2.06). RxSSI and TxSSI both are correct but everything else in the telemetry stream is displayed as zero or bogus values. In addition, these additional telemetry fields are blinking in and out. Anybody else having these issues?
Here is my first post to this forum indicating the problems I am having. Since I am using the micro V2 receiver, I am unable to go backwards to test with previous versions. I dislike not having a baseline to compare to but that's life.

Don't know if it helps, but Open-TX supports the CRSF protocol on the STM32 based transmitters. Maybe you can snoop their code to see what the frames look like.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

To check what is being received, you could try logging the raw received telemetry data.
Go here for instructions on how to enable "raw logging", get a log file and post it on here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40&p=123508&hilit=r ... ng#p123508.
The DEBUG menu is UP LONG, then RIGHT a few times.
Note that the "raw logging" option is not kept through a power off-on cycle.

This will give me something to see what may be wrong.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Kahn

Post by Kahn »

Here is my raw log file.
Attachments
iNav-2017-10-12.zip
(15.63 KiB) Downloaded 349 times
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

A quick look shows some useful data for me to investigate, thanks.
I'll need a couple of days, at least, to do this properly.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

AS I'm trying to get the CRSF telemetry working, I'm not, currently, decoding all packet types, only the LINK packet and the BATTERY packet.
From your raw data, no BATTERY packet is being received, only LINK, ATTITUDE, FLIGHT MODE and GPS.

So you are correct in that you are likely to only see TxSSI and RxSSI. The values of CUS1 to CUS6 should also be valid, being the first 6 values of the LINK packet for testing.

Telemetry data that is not being filled in will blink, to indicate it is not valid.

It does, however, seem I'm correctly detecting packets and decoding some, while ignoring others.

I'll need to look into decoding some more packets now.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've posted a "f3" test version.
This processes some more CRSF telemetry data:
GPS Lat, Long, Altitude, Course
Attitude data, which is places the the AccX, AccY and AccZ values.

I expect the Lat. and Long. values to be odd since I don't know how they are coded in the packet, but maybe if the values displayed and the actual coordinates could be posted I can work out the coding.

Edit: I've some info on the coding, so I should be able to get the telemetry data sorted in the next couple of days.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Kahn

Post by Kahn »

Since I have not seen any new release for this, I thought that I would supply a new raw log file. You display my position as 053.915093N 537.888170W (5354.9040N -11783.2896W in the CSV file) when I am actually at 32.349016 lat -106.76384 lon
iNav-2017-10-26.zip
(4.19 KiB) Downloaded 328 times
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've now had a chance to check this, and I have sorted the source code to process the crossfire GPS correctly.

I'll try to post a new test version tomorrow with the fix in.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
DeVere

Post by DeVere »

log captured with build ersky9xProvR221f5
Attachments
dev.zip
(12.53 KiB) Downloaded 258 times
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

For the CRSF telemetry I have the "RADIO_ADDRESS" set as 0xEA, which I understood was a standard value, but I could be wrong.
Are you using a different value (0x5D)?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
DeVere

Post by DeVere »

I don't actually know where that setting is. I didn't change it knowingly. unknowingly is another story.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Please check you haven't got "Invert COM1" selected in the Telemetry menu.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
brokitfpv

Post by brokitfpv »

Hello and thankyou for the work you have put into getting this working. this is my first post here and i am pretty much useless at the ones and zeros so if i sound stupid apologies. is it possibly to use any scrip to control the module or is that exclusive to 32bit boards i say that because i read scripts are only compatible with higher bit rate boards.(edit) using a 9xrpro on the d5 firmware. d6 i couldnt get rssi working.
Last edited by brokitfpv on Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

You forgot to say what radio and firmware you're using,
brokitfpv

Post by brokitfpv »

I have altered it thankyou for the pointer. also if its of any value i use the full size tx (2w version) and the micro v2 receiver
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I have added a script language to ersky9x (not LUA, it needs too much RAM for the 'PRO).
At present, it doesn't support sending CRSF telemetry data. I don't have any CRSF hardware, so I can't test anything.
It is on my list of things "To Do".

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
oo20

Post by oo20 »

Hi Mike,

UPDATED:
F8 appears to work correctly with items I was initially concerned about FASV (voltage), RSSI and TSSI. I see Amps working also (great). Is it possible to add LQ also? I see people using this now as a means of needing to return. I was also wondering if we could get mah used after LQ also. I think if you could use real hardware, it would give you the proper feedback you need. If you setup a GoFundMe page (or something proper), I can donate and maybe others can donate some money for a Crossfire and Micro Receiver V2 for you. Ideally the expensive one. Maybe $50 or more next month depending on if things are going well. Maybe others can contribute. BTW, the d5 version works well for many mountain flights this year. I'm using version F8 now and will start testing / building trust in it.

Thank you.

Return to “ersky9xr”