CRSF protocol for TBS Crossfire?

ersky9xr is the port of the er9x firmware to the 9XRPRO radio.
Jpilgrim82

CRSF protocol for TBS Crossfire?

Post by Jpilgrim82 »

I have just purchased a TBS Crossfire LRS system and in my research beforehand I noticed that they have a new protocol that has been put in to the latest opentx build for the Taranis. It has drastically reduced latency and higher bandwidth than PPM and I was wondering what it would take to get this protocol implemented into Ersky9xr. Its seems that it has only been put in to the Taranis version of OpenTx so its a no go for the 9xr pro and I would rather stick with ersky as I have become familiar with it anyways. Thank you

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: CRSF protocol for TBS Crossfire?

Post by MikeB »

I've noted this as something to investigate.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Jpilgrim82

Post by Jpilgrim82 »

Ok thanks. It would be great to get that functionality. I had thought about getting a Taranis but the 9xr pro has been serving me surprisingly well and has been a solid overall radio.
lolocaust

Post by lolocaust »

i too would like to know this, as i bought a 9xr because i thought it would be a nice step up from my radio link at9 with the diy hot glued crossfire on the back
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'm looking for a link to give details of exactly what the TBS Crossfire protocol is.
I have got the general idea from the openTx code, and can probably copy that, but I'd like to see a 'proper' definition of the requirements.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

neewbee

Post by neewbee »

Any update?

I already buy tbs crossfire too for my 9xr pro.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I need time to do everything! I don't have a tbs crossfire myself, so I won't be able to test it.
I'll raise the priority of this.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
neewbee

Post by neewbee »

Thank you mike
Jpilgrim82

Post by Jpilgrim82 »

Just wondering if there has been any news on this lately.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'm afraid I just haven't had time to do anything on this, too many other things have needed my attention.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've looked up a few things, and I think I understand what is needed, so I'll try to add this in.
I believe it supports telemetry as well as control. I shall start by getting the control working.

I have nothing to test this with, so we may need a few tries to get it working correctly.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

OK, for the 9XR-PRO I've posted a test version of ersky9x (on the test versions thread, first post) that (might) support the CROSSFIRE protocol.
As I understand this, it sends the serial data, inverted, on pin 5 (bottom pin) of the module connector at 400000 baud every 4mS.

I can see this happening using my 'scope, so I need someone to test to see if I have the data format correct.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
dasfliege

Post by dasfliege »

Is it a big deal to provide a testversion for 9xtreme? I could test everything you want, as i have crossfire an telemetry already soldered, but can't use it until now.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'm just getting a formal release out. As soon as I have that done I'll look into the low level code to allow CRSF to work on a 9Xtreme.
I posted a test version for the 9XR-PRO on the test versions page (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4676#p65894), but, despite 109 downloads, I haven't had any feedback on the CRSF protocol.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

r219 is now released.
I've just posted a test version for the 9Xtreme that tries to support the CRSF protocol for control. I haven't looked into handling telemetry yet.
If the control output works, then I'l tidy up the protocol menu and look into telemetry.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Thanks Mike..

Is this the same as the latest test version, or did you add something else?

Thank you

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
DeVere

Post by DeVere »

I decided to try a crossfire. Is everything functional with crsf and r220? It appears to work ok.
Is telemetry still in the works? Could I just connect a BT module in my 9xrpro to connect to the crossfire BT?
Thank you!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Yours is the first feedback I've received to indicate the CRSF protocol is working. I've been waiting to know this before I do a lot with the CRSF telemetry.
I didn't know CRSF can use BT for telemetry. I don't have support for receiving telemetry over BT in ersky9x(r). I was intending to use a serial input for it, direct from the module.
If you are able to test the serial input telemetry (from either pin 5 in the module bay, or COM2 on the Futaba trainer connector), I'll look to getting that working.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
DeVere

Post by DeVere »

I forgot it doesn't subscribe me to threads on this board, so I missed your reply.
Yes, the CRSF seems to work just fine, I'm using 12 Channels, I did not try 8 channel mode.

I'm not sure about the telemetry as far as CRSF; what I can tell you is the following..
When I switched the 9xr to XFire (sp?) (may want to change to "CRSF") the crossfire tx display indicated "CRSF V2"; other modes on 9xr display as "PPM" or "FUTABA 12ch"
Within a few seconds, the GPS location info was displayed (on the crossfire, not the 9xr)
One of the status pages on the 9xr, I think it's "telemetry," shows data RX and the 16-bit value (that's displayed in hex) is updating rapidly.. so, i just assume it's receiving data over com1. (I didn't spend much more time to check that assumption)

I have tried to find any doc on output from the crossfire tx (wired, not wireless) but no luck.

Just before seeing your reply, I happened to load a newer prerelease firmware you posted for the 9xr.. the protocol setup page shows xfir but changes to ppm if you arrow down... and no way to change it back. Fortunately I had read the settings into the eep app (also march 8 release)
DeVere

Post by DeVere »

Oh I forgot... I'll be more than happy to try/test anything I can possibly do for you..

And I'm using mavlink from arducopter
dasfliege

Post by dasfliege »

Wow mike, your awesome. Didn't checked this thread for some time, but as i reinstalled my crossfire last week, i just saw that i already asked for this feature and its already done. Thx! I gonna try it this week!

Little offtopic, but are you also thinking about implementing smartaudio support for unify/tramp adjustments?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I haven't heard of "smartaudio support for unify/tramp adjustments", so I would need data to know what this is all about.
Then I could consider it, although I doubt I would be able to test anything.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
oo20

Post by oo20 »

I'm also interested in testing. I was able to control the quad with option of "XFire" in the menu. "CSRF V2" might make more sense in the menu since the Crossfire display reports "CSRF V2". It would be awesome to know the telemetry when flying. When do you think you can add telemetry? RSSI related warnings and/or call outs are really important for me.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'll have a look over the next week or two. I'll put something in to start with to receive some telemetry, and post a test version for you to test. I have no crossfire hardware myself.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
oo20

Post by oo20 »

Thank you Mike. I'm really impressed with the menus over OpenTX. Easier to navigate. It looks like my correction comment didn't come through. Instead of "CSRF V2" in my last comment I meant to say "CRSF V2" similar to the topic. I took it for a free simple acro flight without telemetry and it flew flawless. I plan on doing some heavier acro, but plan to take it in the mountains once I can get some telemetry info. I only have the FPV video to rely on, which is helpful, but not the best if the CF antenna got damaged. Thank you very much and thanks for your time.
dasfliege

Post by dasfliege »

Does r220 and upwards already contain the Xfire protocol, or do i still need to use the "ersky9x9XT_rom_XfireTest.zip"?
DeVere

Post by DeVere »

It has it, yes. Telemetry is to be done
DeVere

Post by DeVere »

MikeB wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:38 pm I'll have a look over the next week or two. I'll put something in to start with to receive some telemetry, and post a test version for you to test. I have no crossfire hardware myself.

Mike.
Mike, would it help you tremendously to have one? I could ship you a set to use. If I could afford to, I'd just buy it for you.
John
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

It might help, but I got the control output working without any hardware, and I do have some code that handles bi-directional operation on the SPort from a development of somethings that came to nothing. So, I'll see if I can get it working without the hardware for now.
As always, it just needs some time to do, and I've also got requests for other additions, like LUA support.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

Return to “ersky9xr”