Model Setup Help?

ersky9xr is the port of the er9x firmware to the 9XRPRO radio.
nmyron

Model Setup Help?

Post by nmyron »

Hello all. I'm a new 9XR Pro owner, and just got my first heli to use with it. Prior models have all been cheap RTF units from local hobby stores, all pretty cheaply made/bought and all currently broken. I've gotten about all the joy out of those that I can, so I decided to move on to something more robust. I picked up the 9XR Pro after reading some various forums posts here, and I've always been a big fan of open-source well, anything really. Open source always seems to be an open-book for those using it, and the freedom to customize things is always great.

This may not be the place for this (I noticed that this section lacks the "Model Setup" that a lot of the other sections do), and I apologize if so.

I may have bit off a great lot more than I can chew here. I have a Blade Nano CP S, and an Orange RX module (for now, FrSky XJT/X8r/batt monitor on the way, bought the module with the transmitter some time ago when I started making the purchases, however I was able to order the FrSky stuff at a decent deal off of Ebay when I ordered my Nano from MotionRC). I've upgraded my 9XR Pro to the latest firmware available which was v218 (to be sure I could take advantage of the XJT's telemetry features for battery capacity as I have a Dynam C-188 built in my garage waiting for the X8r receiver to make it's first test flight).

I followed a lot of the data given here (viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7933) in regards to the same CP-S on the prior-model 9X as well as from here (http://www.deviationtx.com/forum/model- ... -nano-cp-s) in regards to this heli on the DeviationTX. I have my limits set to -80/80 on channels 1-6. I can't figure out what the hell I'm doing trying to set up this heli's mixes thought. I thought it would be fairly straightforward but I can't work out how to setup the mixes to make the heli work.

The CPS has three flight modes. I figure that the flight modes will need to be bound to the 'flaps' switch at ID0, ID1, ID2. So nbd there, I've gone to my eePeSkye software "modes" tab and set FM1 to ID0, FM2 to ID1 and FM3 to ID2 - I'm fairly sure that setup item is 'done'.

That's when I got to the mixes tab. And nothing I read prepared me for setting this up. I have no idea what this is. It's all greek to me. It had default settings in there, and I tried the "heli setup" template and that made everything look like nonsense. So I cleared the mixes. Can someone please help me figure out how to set this up so I can try to fly this thing? Can the trainer switch be configured to send the panic signal? Any assistance that could be offered would be immensely appreciated!!!!!!!

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Model Setup Help?

Post by MikeB »

Manuals for the 'PRO are here: viewtopic.php?f=122&t=5575#p79483.
ersky9x has changed since then, but the er9x manual should help, found here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6473#p90349.
Unfortunately, while I maintain ersky9x, I don't fly helis so can't help too much with your specific request.

On the mixes setup, once you get the hang of it, it is straightforward. Just "everything" is a mix.
If you want the roll control (ailerons for fixed wing) on channel 1, just put a mix on channel 1 of +100% AIL. To match commercial servo throws, you may need to use +80% rather than +100%.
On the thread you linked, it indicates the heli flight mode is controlled by channel 5, needing outputs of -80%, 0% and +80%.
You can set this on the IDX switch simply by setting channel 5 to:
+80% sIDX.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
nmyron

Post by nmyron »

Thanks Mike! I grabbed the manuals earlier today and spent the first half of the day pouring over them. I think what I'm confused on is translating what the Nano wants into what the 9XR-Pro has.

Here's what I've loaded up so far.

Ch1 is 100% Throttle
Ch2 is 100% Aileron
Ch3 is 100% Elevator
Ch4 is 100% Rudder
Ch5 is -100% Full Sw(ID0)
0% Full Sw(ID1)
100% Full Sw(ID2)
Ch6 is 100% Full (have no idea what to bind this to, but according to the CPs Manual this should be Pitch)

Where I'm hung up is in a few places. According to the manual for the CP-s there are three different throttle and pitch curves in use for the three different 'flight modes' available for the heli when bound to a "computerized transmitter" (they use the Spektrum DX* controllers as examples but I'm sure this should work as well).

From reading this I set my channels as above, setting the IDx switch as Ch5 to control 'Flight Mode'. However I don't understand how to setup the three throttle and pitch curves to correspond to those directions. Do I just setup the first three curves in the curve tab as the throttle curves and the next three as pitch? How will the controller know which of these to use?

Is there something in particular in the various manuals (there were, what, 8 overall?) that will point me down the right path? I'm just lost as to get this bird in the air. I'm nearly certain getting my plane in the air will be much simpler than this (it only needs throttle, rudder, elevator, aileron and flaps).

nmyron

Post by nmyron »

Hang on, I think I might have figured some of this out. If Ch5 is flight mode, and we bind each of the fight modes to their Throttle Curves, and ch6 is pitch, and we bind it also to ID0/1/2, and also to it's curves, that sounds right, right? Am I overthinking it now? There is also a 4th and 8th curve defined, however since I'm using a "hardware switch" throttle cut, the "HOLD" button feature I don't believe would apply to utilize these other curves.

From what I'm reading, "SAFE" is triggered by adding +40 to whatever the current output of CH5 is. So I bound ch8 on the xmitter to +40 on OP5 (that should boost the output of ch5 by +40, right?).

I also added a throttle cut by binding channel 7 to -80% throttle. I've set throttle limits at +80/-80 on all channels but throttle, I've allowed -100 throttle per another site that suggested that -100 limit might be required to allow arming of the throttle.

I'm dumping this config into my 9XR now, and I'll give it a go.

nmyron

Post by nmyron »

Bah, no joy. Binds, the heli receiver light goes solid as if it's got a connection, but no matter what I do I can't get the throttle to spool up.
Attachments
Nano CP-S.eepm
Nathan's Nano CP-S configs
(3.41 KiB) Downloaded 369 times

kaos

Post by kaos »

nmyron:
I don't have a Spectrum or Nano CP S. Hope someone using er9x already set up a Nano CP S can come up and put up a working eeprom for you.
Before that let's try, if you are willing.
By reading the manual of the Nano CP S, Here is my best guess:
Looks like the SAFE mode is triggered by ch5 using TRN according the manual using a DX7/8 with a bind button which is the TRN on your Tx.
I am not quite sure about the pitch control using ch5 or ch6 because the ch line up PITCH is ch6. But we can try ch6 1st. If it does not work then we can switch to ch5.
I want you to remove the blades 1st and ID set to ID0, to check if the THR cut works 1st before anything else. If it works then we can try pitch and servo 'inverse'
change ch1as follows:
ch1 R 100% Thr sw ID0 C1
R 100% Thr sw ID1 c2
R 100% Thr sw ID2 c3
R -100 HALF sw THR (this is for your throttle cut using THR as switch)(c1-c3 is your throttle curve in different mode)

ch5 R 100% FUll sw TRN
ch6: R 100% Thr sw ID0 c5
R 100% Thr sw ID1 c6
R 100% Thr sw ID2 c6

Put these in your curve menu(I use the number used for Dx7/8, later we can change to 80% of them)
c1: 0, 25, 50, 75, 100
c2: 100, 80, 75, 80, 100
c3: 100, 100, 100, 100, 100

c5: 30, 40, 50, 75, 100
c6: -100, -50, 0, 50, 100

I set up a file using eepskye, did not realize you are using eepe. You can use eeskye to open it and copy(by hand, tab by tab to your eepe or Tx, it includes timer, DR/EXPO....)
Attachments
Nano CP S.txt
This is created by eepskye NOT eepe, use eepskye to read it. change .txt to .bin
(512 KiB) Downloaded 406 times
jhsa

Re: RE: Re: Model Setup Help?

Post by jhsa »

nmyron wrote:Bah, no joy. Binds, the heli receiver light goes solid as if it's got a connection, but no matter what I do I can't get the throttle to spool up.
What module you are using with the PRO? The new Orange RF module? If so , there have been reports that this module doesn't work with some models. The throttle doesn't work..
João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Daedalus66

Model Setup Help?

Post by Daedalus66 »

jhsa wrote:
nmyron wrote:Bah, no joy. Binds, the heli receiver light goes solid as if it's got a connection, but no matter what I do I can't get the throttle to spool up.
What module you are using with the PRO? The new Orange RF module? If so , there have been reports that this module doesn't work with some models. The throttle doesn't work..
João
Correct, unfortunately. Unless HK has fixed it in the last few weeks.

The new DSMX/DSM2 modules released by OrangeRX in early 2015 have a fundamental flaw that prevents them from working properly with the integrated receivers used in models that include Nano QX, Radian UMX, Sport Cub S, 180 QX. I don't have first hand experience with the Nano CPS, but understand that it too has problems with the 2015 Orange modules. The Orange modules that were available from 2012 through 2014 worked well. The problem came with the "improved" versions. HK does not appear to have acknowledged it.

The problem shows up in various ways, but most commonly by channel 1 (throttle) not working. Usually the receiver binds normally, but control is erratic or nonexistent.

What to do?
Use a Spektrum DM9 module. DSM2 only but works well (I have one in my Taranis).
Find a used Orange module from before 2015.
Build a DIY module using a module hacked from a DX4e or DX5e.
Complain to HK!
Wait for the promised module from Lemon RX.

Sorry, but the situation is highly frustrating.

EDIT:
Some people have reported success using the switchable version of the Orange module, with the switches set to give DSMX 22ms. Others, including me, have not been able to make this work. It probably depends on the specific model in question.
nmyron

Post by nmyron »

Thanks for all the great replies!!! First off let me open by saying it's great to meet (albeit electronically) all of the persons whose very informative posts I've been reading over the last few months. Since I bought the 9XR Pro, I've been pouring over threads here (trying to determine what modules to purchase, etc). The stuff I've read from the people in this forum have been of great help. All of your assistance is greatly appreciated, and your tutorials have been (and will be) put to good use.

I am using eepSkye, so here in just a few I'll set up the profile suggested by @Kaos and see what joy I can get. Look for my next reply with that data. I made some progress last night however. Read on for details there.

@jhsa - I am in fact using the OrangeRX DSM2/DSMX module from HK here http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ible_.html - is this the module you're meaning? Or do you mean the newer all-black 'telemetry' module they have up that's on chronic backorder?

Using the manual that the great Google found for me here http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... 272X15.pdf I was able to force it into DSMX 11ms mode by setting SW3, 4, 5 to ON in the DIP switch array on the back of the module (as this is the suggested protocol/framerate in the CP-S manual from above). With SW2 set OFF I should be in TAER channel mode, which matches my profile configuration. It seems that the module (at least according to the manual) is expecting PPM input that it can then broadcast as DSM2/DSMX. So I edited my flight profile, and set the proto to PPM. These two things combined, I get some throttle response, however it doesn't behave "correctly". The throttle pulses. Spin, stop, spin, stop, spin, stop. If I leave the profile in DSM2 proto with the module set to DSMX 11ms, both sticks are totally dead. Also the 'flight mode' doesn't change properly on the ID0 switch (the leds on the heli's receiver board don't change color as the manual states they should). I'm starting to believe that, as suggested, the issue lies in the transmitter module, or at least most of it. It doesn't appear to be as compatible as described.

I can't really complain to HK too much I don't think. I didn't get this module from them. I got this from eBay, I had just ordered the controller, and being a noob to the hobby I figured that since it was listed on HK as "compatible with the 9XR Pro" I'd be good to go. Seems maybe that was not the case. And maybe (now that I look back) some other poor soul found the same thing out, and listed their ORX module on Ebay at half cost in an attempt to unload it after doing what it appears I might have to do, and buying a working module.

I'll try the suggested flight profile from above, and if no joy after that I'll reach out to HobbyKing and see what I can get from them.

Thanks again everyone, and all you do!

[EDIT]Grammar corrections[/EDIT]
nmyron

Post by nmyron »

Found this here in RE to the use of this module with a Taranis controller, and the need to reconfigure the flight profile and some other settings.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2376054

Here's an updated eepeSky file with the changes. About to test...
Attachments
Nano CP-S (updated).eepm
Update eepeSky file
(3.41 KiB) Downloaded 365 times
nmyron

Post by nmyron »

@kaos

Tried your flight profile (these are model-settings only files, exported via "Save Model Settings" context menu option, not the entire BIN file from my EEPROM).

I tried both the profile you provided, as well as a modified version using PPM as the protocol. Both resulted in erratic channel 1 behavior. More precisely, when smoothly throttling up from 0 to 100, the first time it did smoothly throttle out. After returning to 0 and trying again, it gave 100%, 0, 100%, 0, 100%, 0. Small bursts of full throttle followed by nothing. Over and over again. No response or change in behavior on toggle of IDx switch.
Attachments
kaos-nano (PPM).eepm
Kaos Nano CP-S PPM profile (load model settings into BIN from eePeSky)
(3.41 KiB) Downloaded 356 times
kaos-nano (DSM2).eepm
Kaos Nano CP-S DSM2 profile (load model settings into BIN from eePeSky)
(3.41 KiB) Downloaded 379 times
KAL

Post by KAL »

I had a look at 'kaos-nano (PPM).eepm'.
Did you realize, that throttle (ch1) is at least 50% open (with ID0, even higher with ID1 and ID2) as long as throttle cut is disabled?
Therefore I suppose you did bind with throttle cut enabled (ch1 at 0%)? (throttle channel has to be at 0% for arming)

Maybe try curve1 as -100,25,50,75,100 as you can slowly open throttle from 0% when ID0 is selected
(this mode is often called "Idle Up" because throttle starts at idle).
So you can test whether this erratic behavior starts at low throttle or only at higher throttle.
Reason:
I had problems (nano CP X, mCPX) with erratic throttle response when suddenly opening throttle
caused by a bad lipo or rather bad connections to lipo.

Klaus
( TH9X / 9XTreme / FrSky DHT / Spektrum / Multi / RotEnc )
( 9XR PRO / erSKY9x  / FrSky DHT / Spektrum / Multi / RotEnc / P3 as Slider )
kaos

Post by kaos »

KAL;
you are right. I put the wrong curve in ID0. It was late last night when I read this thread. :P

nmyron:
sorry about that, the c1 curve I intended to be -100, -50, 0, 50, 100
glad nothing happened, I guess you did take the blade off. :mrgreen:
nmyron

Post by nmyron »

KAL wrote:I had a look at 'kaos-nano (PPM).eepm'.
Did you realize, that throttle (ch1) is at least 50% open (with ID0, even higher with ID1 and ID2) as long as throttle cut is disabled?
Therefore I suppose you did bind with throttle cut enabled (ch1 at 0%)? (throttle channel has to be at 0% for arming)

Maybe try curve1 as -100,25,50,75,100 as you can slowly open throttle from 0% when ID0 is selected
(this mode is often called "Idle Up" because throttle starts at idle).
I had problems (nano CP X, mCPX) with erratic throttle response when suddenly opening throttle
caused by a bad lipo or rather bad connections to lipo.
So you can test whether this erratic behavior starts at low throttle or only at higher throttle.

Klaus
I did notice this. In that profile the collective works properly (in my profile the swash doens't rise as expected on throttle up) however in none of the profiles I posted does the throttle CUT switch work as expected. I've had to pull the main rotor blades so the thing doesn't cut me or the kids to bits.

Are you saying that, since my "throttle" channel starts at -100, my curve needs to start there as well? Maybe it's starting in throttle lock mode; from what I'm reading in the CP-S manual the heli will not allow throttle arm if the throttle isn't = 0. If I'm understanding this correctly since the range of the throttle is -100 to 100, if the curve doesn't start at -100 then the throttle will never be at "true 0"

I also noticed that in the kaos profile too that the switches all alarm unless their on; IE when the controller is started in any other profile, and the thr cut switch is up, or the d/r switches are filpped toward me, the controller will alarm that they're in the wrong state but in the kaos profile the opposite is true. With all of those switches disarmed, it alarms until I arm them. That seems sound for the throttle cut (if it worked) but I don't think it is.

I will try moving some of these settings from the Kaos profile into a new, third profile and see if I can get the collective working correctly as well as the throttle and throttle cut.

Thanks!
Nathan
nmyron

Post by nmyron »

Also, to understand another portion better I noticed that the throttle curves are bound to the throttle stick input, on IDx state. So, for flight mode 1 100%Thr ID0 Curve 1 (throttle curve), for flight mode 2 100%Thr on ID1 Curve 2

Then the "pitch curves" (curves 5-7) are bound to their IDx state on ch6 to control the collective?

check out post 4 here viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7933

It, and the manual state that flight mode is controlled by CH5 and pitch by CH6. So I think I need ch5 to send -100, 0, 100 on ID0, ID1, ID2, and ch6 to send 100, 100, 100, on ID0 curve5, ID1 curve 6 and ID2 curve 7, respectively.

Let me try to modify these settings, and load in my profile. I'll add a -100 HALF to CH1 bound to THR CUT as well to see if the throttle hold works. I'll set the alarm to alarm if THR CUT is not on (leaving the rest of them alone so I don't have to arm all the switches on profile activation).

Give me a few to port these settings in and test and we'll see where it goes! I think I'm starting to better understand how mixes and such work. Unfortunately I've been given a honey-do list to accomplish today, so I best get that knocked out before I get knocked out for spending my Sunday "screwing around with my toys" as she's liable to say... :lol:

Any chance we can get a "model setup" subtopic in the ersky9xr topic? I'd hate to keep polluting your main topic with stuff only relating to specific models and not the firmware itself. Something kinda like the "Model Setup" subtopic here viewforum.php?f=5

I'm sure that I'll have some more questions (esp when I get my Dynam C-188 "Dusty Crophopper" in the air :D ) so this probable won't be the only thread I start in RE to stuff like this (but Dusty will be using FrSky so should be much more plug-n-play I'm hoping)
KAL

Post by KAL »

If you did't set the first value of curve one to 50% by intention, I would change it to 0%.
Nevertheless, arming can be done by enabling throttle cut as it forces ch1 to 0%.

Regarding the switch warnings:
You can set the warnings for RUD, ELE and AIL to your own need.
Important are the settings for ID0 and throttle cut!!!

In eePskye:
switch warning.jpg
the left checkbox enables/disables all switch warnings (I recommend: enabled)
in the upper row you can select the desired switch position
in the lower row you can select whether or not a warning should be given.

Edit and hint: for the timer1 TriggerA I would use c1% and '---' for TriggerB
timer.jpg
timer.jpg (9.94 KiB) Viewed 24443 times
The timer speed then follows the actual value of ch1 and therefore stops while throttle cut.
So no logical switch is needed ...

Klaus
kaos

Post by kaos »

nmyron wrote: I've had to pull the main rotor blades so the thing doesn't cut me or the kids to bits.
that is the 1st thing I said. ;) Especially on a model of unknown set up. You can look at the swash plate up/down, left/right without the blades. ONce everything seems working correctly, only THEN, you put the blades on to level the swash and set up your blade angle limit to your like and other fine tuning.
These little thing still cut like crazy. Any brushless motor model, they cuts! SAFETY 1ST!
Daedalus66

Model Setup Help?

Post by Daedalus66 »

nmyron wrote:Found this here in RE to the use of this module with a Taranis controller, and the need to reconfigure the flight profile and some other settings.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2376054

Here's an updated eepeSky file with the changes. About to test...
Sorry to disappoint but the date on that post is March 2015, suggesting that he was lucky enough to get the old 2014 module, which worked perfectly!

By the way, we are talking about the Orange DSMX/DSM2, which comes in switched and unswitched versions. Both suffer from the same problem but the switched one does allow a work-around in certain cases. Not in yours, apparently, as the symptoms you describe are exactly the kind of thing I and many others have encountered.

I should say that the new Orange modules do work properly with stand alone receivers from Spektrum, Orange and Lemon. Not much consolation for anyone trying to fly a model with integrated receiver, though!

The black module specifically for the 9XR Pro is a different type. I'm about to do some testing and will report back if I achieve success.

With respect to setting up BNF models like Nano CPS, the easiest way by far is to recognize that they are designed to fly either with a programmable transmitter or with one of the basic Spektrum transmitters such as DX4e, DX5e, MLP6DSM or the new DXe. So all you have to do to get flying is set up your 9XR Pro to emulate one of the simple transmitters. This is really simple and gets you flying with minimum fuss. The same settings work for most of the recent BNF models. While you are learning to fly in simple mode, you can figure out how to emulate a programmable Spektrum transmitter such as DX6 and mess around with curves, etc. to your heart's content.

I'll post details separately on how to set up a pseudo-DX5e.

Of course it won't help you till you get the module problem fixed. :(

In the meantime, do complain to HobbyKing. It doesn't matter where you got it, it's their stupid product and should be fixed!
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by Daedalus66 on Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daedalus66

Model Setup Help?

Post by Daedalus66 »

Setting up an Open Source Radio (such as 9XR Pro) for BNF Models

Here are the essentials for setting up an open source firmware transmitter to fly the BNF models produced by E-Flite, Blade, HobbyZone, etc. using Spektrum technology. This includes the various UMX models, as well as bigger ones such as the SuperCub, Apprentice, Yak and VisionAire. The SAFE technologiy receivers work well with a transmitter set up this way, as do helis and multicopters such as mCP-X, Nano CPS, NanoQX, QX180, QX350, etc.

The information here applies to 9x, 9XR, 9XR Pro and Taranis transmitters with versions of ER9x or OpenTX firmware (but not to a 9x with the stock firmware). [In this version I've added a few notes specific to the 9XR Pro.]

The details of how to set up the radio will vary between transmitters and firmwares but what you need to do in each case is to emulate a Spektrum DX5e (functionally equivalent to DX4e), which virtually all these models can use.

I save a great deal of effort by using this emulation as a starting point. I call it "DX5 Emul" and copy it when needed, changing the name to that of the particular model.

SETTINGS

1. The channel order MUST be set to TAER to match the Spektrum order. In particular, throttle is always on channel 1. Note that Channel Order in Radio Setup affects only new models, not existing ones.

2. All channels MUST be set to 80% travel limits. Set all mix weights to 100% and limit throw to 80% by using the Limits page. (Have you noticed the dire warning in the instructions about exceeding 100% with a Spektrum transmitter? Well for open source firmware that means 80%, as 100% for open source equals 125% for Spektrum.) The one exception is the low throttle limit, which should probably set to -100 to emulate low throttle plus low trim on a DX5e; this will ensure arming of the ESC.

3. Aileron and Rudder should be reversed (set to INV) to match Spektrum control directions. Throttle and elevator should work correctly if not reversed.

4. Channel 5 should be set up on a three position switch giving -100, 0, +100 (on a 9XR Pro it's ID0, ID1, ID2). This will emulate a recent DX5e with three position channel 5 switch.

5. Channel 6 should be set up on a two position momentary switch (TRN) giving -100 for off and +100 for on. This will serve as the panic button for a SAFE technology model, RTH button for a QX2, etc. 

6. Setup D/R at 100% and 70% to match the DX5e. You may want to adjust later but this is a good starting point. You may also want to add 20% or so expo. It's usually most convenient to control A, E and R rates from a single switch (AIL).

7. The protocol setting for an Orange module MUST be PPM. The rest of the RF settings can be default. [Update: Orange modules produced starting in 2015 do not work with BNF models!]

I hope this is helpful.
Daedalus66

KAL

Post by KAL »

And note that there is a specific binding procedure to tell the heli to use this type of transmitter:
binding.jpg
Klaus
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Thanks for that reminder!

nmyron

Post by nmyron »

So, the attached model file is where I finally landed. I believe that once I get a functional module this will work fine. I may need to move the SAFE to ch5. But everything else seems to be functioning properly with the exception of CH1. Throttle response, regardless of what I do to improve it, is erratic to say the least.

Using the template from Kaos, and suggestions from Klaus, Daedalus, and others collective is now responding properly, as well as elevator/aileron. I believe rudder will also, as occasionally when I hold the throttle/rudder buried in the upper right, the nose goes right in little bursts. But the throttle problem continues to plague me. I get some, or no, response from CH1, and when it does respond I get small bursts of throttle and then nothing. This lends me to believe that the issue truly is the module at this point.

If it makes any difference to those in "know" I got this from eBay seller "Helibatics", they also have a standard website (in fact this is where I ordered my FrSky kit from that will be here tomorrow for my ARF Dynam C-188). I ordered it in July from them, and the price was full price, not half price. And now as I type this I recall having gone to HKs website, seeing the DSM2/DSMX module out of stock and eBay'ing for it after ordering my 9XR Pro. Whatever the case may be, it's much, much too late now I would guess for anything to be done about it, but I will be writing HK a nice little mail after I finish this to see what can be done about it if anything. Maybe this was from a bad batch and they'll be lambs and make it right (I mean after all, they made it and sold it to whomever I bought it from, so they've have to have gotten their money at one point or another right :-) ).

Either way, if I can't have this made right via HK, I'll look into getting a Spektrum DSM2 AirModule. I'm kind of leary of shelling out any more dollars to an Orange product after being burned like this. I found the AirModule at a fair price on the eBay, looks new in box, seller has around 10 left. We'll see how it pans out and go from there.

Thanks again all to all of your help! I look forward to providing you guys with an update once I figure out what to do about this c**p module and can move forward from there. I'm sure I'll have more questions, too, so I'm sure you'll hear from me more. Maybe one day I'll actually be able to contribute something too :-D
Attachments
Nano CP-S (Nathan - PPM - Final Attempt).eepm
(3.41 KiB) Downloaded 301 times
Daedalus66

Model Setup Help?

Post by Daedalus66 »

There is no "bad batch" of 2015 Orange modules. All have been equally bad for nearly a year now.

Please complain in strong terms just to add your voice to the demand for action. Don't expect compensation, as you didn't buy direct from them, but do express your concern.

If you can get a Spektrum DM9 module at a reasonable price (standard is $109 including a DSMX receiver), grab it!

Note that for the DM9 protocol must be PPM, 400us (not 300), and you may have to try both +and - polarity (OpenTX changed this along the way).
Last edited by Daedalus66 on Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

I found this here for the Price $109.99 & FREE Shipping: (http://www.amazon.com/Spektrum-SPMMSJR7 ... rum+module).
This maybe an option you for also.

Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
kaos

Post by kaos »

nmyron:
try one more thing here. put a weight of 80 in your ch1 setting and try. then 79,78 to 75. see if this will change your throttle behavior.
I wonder if the '100' is just too much for the Nano throttle to handle. After all, 80 in er9x is equivalent to 100 in spectrum.
if not change the 'limit' for ch1 to + - 80,79,78....

note: besides the JR Airmodule, if you are into DIY thing, you can harvest a DX4e module to fly <= 6ch Blade model. It has a 6ch genuine Spectrum DSM2/X module. DX4e is available around 50 on ebay.
Or, you can get a Walkera module for ~20 and make a multiprotocol module which is capable of 12 ch (I think) DSM2/X.
nmyron

Post by nmyron »

Daedalus66 wrote:There is no "bad batch" of 2015 Orange modules. All have been the same for nearly a year now.

Please complain in strong terms just to add your voice to the demand for action. Don't expect compensation, as you didn't buy direct from them, but do express your concern.

If you can get a Spektrum DM9 module at a reasonable price (standard is $109 including a DSMX receiver), grab it!

Note that for the DM9 protocol must be PPM, 400us (not 300), and you may have to try both +and - polarity (OpenTX changed this along the way).
@Daedalus - This is the module I've purchased here http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ible_.html

So there is no "bad batch" of these Tx Modules? If that's the case then are you saying that the ch1 issues previously mentioned wouldn't apply? So I need to go back to programming and continue trying?
kaos

Post by kaos »

nmyron:
I noticed your ch6 pitch curve. In a normal CP heli, with that curve you won't have any negative pitch to do inverted fly. the pitch curve is -100 to 100. May be that is how CP S works. I am not sure.
also, if you do have negative pitch with your pitch curve, with the THR switch in ch6, what you end up with is full negative pitch when you hit THR, that means the heli will have full negative pitch smashing down with whatever spin spd it has when you hit the THR. Usually, in a emergency, you want to cut the throttle but still can control the pitch to slow down/spd up with the residual thrust.
The TRN in ch6, I guess you are trying to do a full pitch up with TRN when you fly.

your Timer trigger TH%. My understanding is if you have THR enabled, not flying, but the Thr stick is moved up, the clock will start even though no throttle, that is why I have a L switcch, so the clock won't start count down when THR is engaged. or use KAL's switch using % of output.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

nmyron wrote:
Daedalus66 wrote:There is no "bad batch" of 2015 Orange modules. All have been the same for nearly a year now.

@Daedalus - This is the module I've purchased here http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ible_.html

So there is no "bad batch" of these Tx Modules? If that's the case then are you saying that the ch1 issues previously mentioned wouldn't apply? So I need to go back to programming and continue trying?
What I said was there's no "bad batch" (as opposed to good examples) because they are all the same. That is they all fail with the models that use integrated receivers. They are all bad since early 2015.

They work OK with stand alone receivers, which I guess is why they keep selling. But they don't work with UMX models and the like.

Sorry to get your hopes up.
nmyron

Post by nmyron »

@daedalus - ahhh, roger that... hopes raised, then thwarted... LOL it's not a big deal man. No reply from HK yet, I'll probably order the Spektrum module tonight. I'll think it over, it was $55 with shipping. Sounds like a good deal considering I don't really intend to use Spetrum gear with the exception of BNF models. So I should be fine without the reciever in the $100 kit.

@kaos - I added the -100 pitch to the final pitch curve on my 3D flight mode (ID2). I've yet to be able to test any of it yet thought since I can't get it in the air. :-(
kaos

Post by kaos »

nmyron:
hope you don't mind I ask you. Have you had a CP heli before? Those RTF you mentioned you had, are they CP or FP/cwaxial?
If you never have or set up a CP heli, I would highly recommend you get information about how to set up a CP heli before you spin up your blades. No motor is needed to set up a CP heli. Motor/throttle curve is the simplest and easiest thing to deal with. If you have servo functioning, you can start set up your heli. When you set up a CP heli you actually disconnect the motor to set it up. These Nano model you can set it up with motor connected to battery. In 250 or bigger, you actually disconnect the power of the motor to set up a heli, such as level the swash, set the blade angle pitch curve....... which all require servo adjustment, limit adjustment and offset change. I never connect the power to motor till these are set up exactly right or what i want. On nano cp heli I set up a throttle cut to set up the heli (Cause it is pain to disconnect the power in a Nano heli ;) ). Motor is never running till the heli is set up exactly right. If you try to set up the heli by trial and error flying it, it is too late.

Return to “ersky9xr”