Turnigy 9XR Pro & Orange Rx loses bind when switching Models

ersky9xr is the port of the er9x firmware to the 9XRPRO radio.
indept

Post by indept »

I have a problem, I have a Turnigy 9XR Pro with Orange DSM2/X TX (with the dip switches for mode setting) I have 2 quads, 1 with a 6 ch rx and the other 10ch, both orange & both DSM2/X compatible. I can bind both quads with no problem using auto mode on the Tx module. They both bind in DSMX 22ms mode (2 led flashes on tx) but when I switch models on the radio from either one to the other the rx has no response. I have to go through a complete bind procedure. I have searched and found some with this issue where they press the bind button 3 times fast on the Tx module to manually change modes but that had no effect with my setup. If I re-bind either quad they both bind and work fine until I try to switch between the modules. Could this be a bad radio or Tx module.
I am running ersky9xr R218J

Thanks for any help
Last edited by indept on Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kilrah

Re: Turnigy 9XR Pro & Orange Rx loses bind when switcing Models

Post by Kilrah »

That's just how this module works.
The radio plays absolutely no role in it.
indept

Post by indept »

Kilrah wrote:That's just how this module works.
The radio plays absolutely no role in it.
Why do you say that? Doesn't the radio send instruction to the Tx module to send the correct command to the selected quad?
Basically its in the radio where you select which model and once selected there must be some instruction to the Tx to then transmit the correct code to connect with the selected models Rx.
KAL

Post by KAL »

The radio cannot "talk" to the Orange TX module at all (Orange module doesn't support that).
It (the PRO) only sends the PPM signal (which contains only servo positions) to the module.

Klaus
( TH9X / 9XTreme / FrSky DHT / Spektrum / Multi / RotEnc )
( 9XR PRO / erSKY9x  / FrSky DHT / Spektrum / Multi / RotEnc / P3 as Slider )
indept

Post by indept »

Ok but how does the Tx module know what ID to send to the Rx?
Isn't that info stored in the file or model saved on the radio?

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

That's the point, it doesn't. There is no model match system with Orange modules.
indept

Post by indept »

So are you telling me that you have to re-bind every time you change models?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

The old Orange module didn't need you to (only needed to select the right mode with the button on it), but the new ones apparently do for whatever reason. They also don't work with newer DSMX UMX models while the old ones worked fine.

That's HK for you.
indept

Re: Turnigy 9XR Pro & Orange Rx loses bind when switching Models

Post by indept »

Just got off a chat with HK and they suggested trying the ID 1st then immediately rebind each. . He said it should allow to switch between models without rebinding so I'll see if he's correct. Also the instructions for my model Tx module contradicts itself: In SW3 description it says Off is auto & On is Manual but then when describing switches 4 thru 6 it says auto mode is with Sw3 ON. The HK chat rep said Auto is on so I'll see if he's correct there also.
indept

Post by indept »

So, after hours of screwing around I figured out that the 2 rx's are binding in different modes even though the tx flashes twice when either is connected indicating DSMX 22ms. I set the Tx dip switches to each mode manually & found that the 6ch rx will only bind in DSM2 22ms mode even though its a DSM2/X 11/22ms rx. And with that the AIL control is flaky. It won't bind in any other mode manually. Now if I set the Tx to "Auto" mode, this Rx binds apparently in DSMX 22ms mode according to led flashes and all control including AIL is rock solid. leaving it bound in the auto mode, I then tried setting the TX in all 4 modes manually (confirmed by led flashing correctly for each mode) to determin which mode it had success with but it would not connect in any of the 4 manually so this is a puzzle. Maybe a bad Rx.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

The Orange DSMX/DSM2 modules sold from late 2012 to the end of 2014 worked reliably with just about any receiver (there was a problem with the very first batch but HK sent free replacements and the whole issue was solved within a week or two).

When bound with a receiver, the module learned the mode of the receiver and stayed in that mode until bound with a receiver of a different mode. Thus at time of bind, the receiver learned the ID of the module and the module adjusted to the mode of the receiver. The transmitter's only role was to put the module into bind mode (and supply the PPM signal).

The mode of these earlier modules could be changed manually by pressing the bind button three times in quick succession. This stepped to the next mode in sequence and was very convenient.

I have two of these modules and they worked perfectly (though one suffered a failed output transistor after over two years of use).

Sadly, the 2015 modules have proved to be much less satisfactory. First, manual mode change has been eliminated, meaning that the only way to change mode for a different class of receiver is by binding, a real inconvenience.

Second, they just don't work properly with some receivers. I know from first hand experience and reports from others, that the either don't work at all or are erratic with recent UMX models such as Radian UMX and Sport Cub S. Also they don't work with NanoQX, 180QX, 350QX or with models that use SAFE technology. There may be others, but the common factor seems to be integrated receivers with stabilizer or flight controller. They do generally seem to work with stand alone receivers from Spektrum, Orange and Lemon.

Some people have reported full or partial success setting the switchable module to manual DSMX 22ms, but others have tried and failed. There is clearly something in the modules that doesn't match DSMX requirements as implemented in certain types of receiver. Perhaps not surprising that such a module would be inconsistent in dealing with certain receivers, as reported here.

It's disappointing that a whole year has gone by without a fix from HK.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
nmyron

Post by nmyron »

I was just reading through this, and thought I'd kick in my two cents. I don't think it's your receiver. I think it's the module.

I wholly agree with Dadealus. I bought the 2015 OrangeRX DSM2/DSMX/Devo switchable unit. It was nothing but heartbreak for me. I spent my first two days with my integrated DSMX SAFE-enabled heli convinced I was doing everything wrong setting up my transmitter or that the heli was broken. I went through switching modes using the DIP switches on the back, and no good. The heli only supported DSMX 11ms, but binding out of the box it only would bind in 22ms. If I set it to 11ms it would bind, but the inputs seemed like they were 'slow'; as if there were a long delay between my input and the actual receipt of the command by the receiver. Can't speak to using it with multiple models - I didn't hold out that long... After reading some input from him in another thread here (look for "Model Setup Help? on the main thread page) I sprung for a $60 Spektrum JR module from eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPEKTRUM-DSM2-A ... SwLa9UYj5L as my CH1 would not work at all. . Since I went to the Spektrum module I've had no issues. From the time it arrived, I was in the air only a day later after taking some time to reconfigure my tx profile, and after a gyro calibration I've had no issues flying (other than crashing into things - my own fault).

The appeal was saving some dollars, but all it did was create headache. Add your voice to mine, and others - send a mail to HK, let them know what you're seeing. Send them a link to this forum thread, and any others you can find describing your issues with it. Let them know their product needs work if their going to sell it as compatible with a protocol it's obviously not fully compatible with. :?

Return to “ersky9xr”