ersky9x for dummies

ersky9xr is the port of the er9x firmware to the 9XRPRO radio.
ceegeester

ersky9x for dummies

Post by ceegeester »

Hi to all. I am a newby to the group and should say at the outset that I am a 67 year old non techo but enjoying the challenge of trying to learn about setting up my 9xrpro which I recently purchased. I enjoy flying basic fixed wing models and currently use a DX8 Spectrum RX. I have purchased the Orange RX module and got it bound to a test board servo setup which is doing the basics. My 9x tells me that it is running "ersky9x - R202 V. 3309 - Mike" and I have downloaded the eepSky software to my laptop. I am slowly getting my head around the basic concepts but do not ever expect to master the amazing capabilities of the device. There are a couple of things that I would appreciate any advice or assistance on offer.
(1) What would be the most up to date manual for me to use. I have downloaded various PDF's which have been of great assistance. Something like "ersky9x for dummies" would be good.
(2) I understand the use of Flight modes but cannot work out how to set up the criteria for a FM. The FM screen allows me to name a FM and assign a Switch but that's all it does. The Trims show RETA but won't let me in. I am pretty certain that I am missing part of the logic somewhere.
(3) One of the manuals had an example of a mix for setting up the GEAR to take over throttle control -100 to 100 and then factor in some down elevator with delays etc. I followed the example and was very pleased with the result. I then started to think how I could set it up so that my 20 second timer (1) countdown would stop counting when it got to zero and then revert my throttle control to normal stick movement. I started thinking about the Cswitches and maybe there was some way to have my timer off linked to a switch. That's when my brain went into old person overload and I decided to call for help.
(4) I use the Pheonix Flight Sim and followed the instructions for trying to set up a new RX without success. It seemed to know that an RX was connected but the set up/calibration process did not react. Not the end of the world but frustrating when you can't work out what you are doing wrong.
Sorry to throw all that out there but I figure it's better to ask and learn so I can maybe help others and in particular my grandkids will think I am a genius when I demonstrate my new found skills.

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: ersky9x for dummies

Post by MikeB »

The best source for manuals is here: viewtopic.php?f=122&t=5575.

You should be able to get to the screen to edit a specific flight mode, since you can select a switch to enable it.
The RETA indicate that this flight mode uses its own copy of the corresponding trims. You should be able to move the highlight to one of these, then press MENU and the highlight should flash. While flashing, the LEFT and RIGHT buttons should allow you to edit the display value. 0 means use the trim of FM0, 1 that of FM1 etc. for this flight mode.

You can set a custom switch to look at the value of a timer. Try:
CS1: v<ofs TIM1 00:00
As soon as timer 1 goes past 00:00, custom switch 1 will turn on.
Now you could also set another custom switch like:
CS2: AND !CS1 GEA

!CS1 is read as NOT CS1 meaning ON when CS1 is OFF and OFF when CS1 is ON.
CS2 will be ON when CS1 is OFF AND the GEA switch is on. You could use this as the trigger for your timer.

If you set your timer to 00:19, then when you switch the GEA switch ON, it will start counting. When it gets to -00:01 (20 seconds later) it will stop counting. CS2 is also ON for these 20 seconds, so you can probably use that where you used just GEA before.

I'm not familiar with the Pheonix Flight Sim. What are your connections and settings you are using?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Daedalus66

ersky9x for dummies

Post by Daedalus66 »

Regarding your first point, have you taken advantage of the comprehensive set of manuals for the 9XR Pro available in this section of the forum at:
viewtopic.php?t=5581

While we didn't use the name, we had in mind the idea of "9XR Pro for dummies", or at least for ordinary users, when we developed these manuals.

There's always room for improvement, but I think you find what you need to get a good grasp on the hardware and software if you use these resources. Then people here are always ready to help with specific questions such as those you are raising (as the response from Mike, the developer, above shows).

We will try to keep the manuals updated, but have no plans for any major revision or addition. This is strictly a voluntary effort.

Welcome to ersky9x!

Return to “ersky9xr”