Frsky R9M

ersky9xr is the port of the er9x firmware to the 9XRPRO radio.
EdwardMcRichy

Frsky R9M

Post by EdwardMcRichy »

Has anybody tried to use the new FrSky R9M with the 9xr Pro and ErSky9x firmware? My brother just purchased the module and receiver so hoping it works out of the box with the firmware.
When I'm not flying I'm dreaming of flying, when I'm not dreaming of flying.....I'm asleep

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Frsky R9M

Post by MikeB »

As far as I'm aware it should work like any other FrSkt module.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Not exactly, there are a few dedicated configuration bits to control and offer user choices for (and they're a pain to work out the allowed combinations)
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

So, they will only work with the original Frsky OS?

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

No, just a couple of bits in the PXX protocol that need setting correctly, I had forgotten I'd seen them there.
I need to add an extra "Type" (D16/D8/LRP +R9M), then the menu will need to offer the extra items (which depend on whether it is an EU LBT or FCC module).

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Nope OpenTX supports them fully since 2.2.1. It was jsut a bit of a nightmare since FrSky's doc was pretty bad, AND what we had done initially changed later with a module firmware update.

There are EU and US versions, which both have different power setting availability and telemetry availability that is or is not linked to power depending on that. Plus a bit to disable module telemetry.

Module works great though. Very useful now to combine with DJI's HD video module that works in 2.4.
EdwardMcRichy

Post by EdwardMcRichy »

Kilrah wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:46 pm Nope OpenTX supports them fully since 2.2.1. It was jsut a bit of a nightmare since FrSky's doc was pretty bad, AND what we had done initially changed later with a module firmware update.

There are EU and US versions, which both have different power setting availability and telemetry availability that is or is not linked to power depending on that. Plus a bit to disable module telemetry.

Module works great though. Very useful now to combine with DJI's HD video module that works in 2.4.
So I read both your posts and i'm a little confused. If I understand correctly since the latest firmware update to the module there is nothing special that needs to be done? So I can just insert the module, for now select PXX in the ErSky9xr firmware, then bind and everything should work fine? Wish there was a video on this. I don't have one, it's my brother and I'll be helping him do his build this weekend.
When I'm not flying I'm dreaming of flying, when I'm not dreaming of flying.....I'm asleep
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Nope, on ErSky9xr you'll have to wait to be able to use it correctly. You can now bind using the PXX setting but the module will probably be operating at minimum power.

The rest of the discussion was basically about what has to be done for full support to be added.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Are the R9 power bits valid all the time, or just at bind time?

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

All the time, you can even change while operating
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

That sounds quite dangerous :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The nex test version (r221g5) will have support for the R9M included.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Thank you

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
EdwardMcRichy

Post by EdwardMcRichy »

MikeB wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:58 pm The nex test version (r221g5) will have support for the R9M included.

Mike
That is awesome, i was just going to ask if there were plans to support. Not a programmer so I'm useless in this matter.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

r221g5 is posted, but you need to go down a few posts in the test versions thread to find it.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
EdwardMcRichy

Post by EdwardMcRichy »

MikeB wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:32 pm r221g5 is posted, but you need to go down a few posts in the test versions thread to find it.

Mike
Thank you
nqis

Post by nqis »

MikeB wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:58 pm The nex test version (r221g5) will have support for the R9M included.

Mike
Can I use with R9M with my 9Xtreme yet?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Yes, definitely suported in "ersky9xProvR222b6", I can't remember exactly when I added it. I have flown with a R9M set to 25mW, so I get telemetry, and from the log file the RSSI was at least as good as using a XJT with a D8R.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
nqis

Post by nqis »

MikeB wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:02 am Yes, definitely suported in "ersky9xProvR222b6", I can't remember exactly when I added it. I have flown with a R9M set to 25mW, so I get telemetry, and from the log file the RSSI was at least as good as using a XJT with a D8R.

Mike
Mike where do I download 222b from? as the xtreme link is only 221
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

erskyTx/er9x developer
lancaster

Post by lancaster »

Hi Mike
Just testing the R9M module (red version EULBT from T9) in my 9X Extreme on the bench.
I have loaded the test firmware ersky9x-pc2r222 from the zip file ersky9xProvR222c2.
My receiver isn't wired up or bound yet so I am just checking out the TX protocol settings first and I have a couple of questions:-

I have selected External XJT module
Enable tick
Proto XJT Rx no 71
Detect Tele Auto
Type R9M
Chan 8

Firstly, my power options are now 10, 100, 500 and 1000mW - looking at previous posts, I was expecting one option - 25mW, 8 ch with telemetry
How are these options working?

Secondly, a question about the module you might be able to help with : when the TX is switched on, I get only a solid red light without a flashing green but the instructions say it should be solid red and flashing green
I thought the problem might be caused by the unbound receiver, but my XJT module shows flashing green and solid red without a bound receiver

I assumed the module would already be flashed with EU LBT firmware - do I need to reflash with latest Frsky EU file?
Is there something I'm missing or do I possibly have a fault on the R9M module?
regards
Hans
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

You need to set the country to "EUR", then you will get the "other" power options, 25(8ch), 25(16ch), 200(16ch), and 500(16ch). These are the actual; power values you will get from the R9M module if it has LBT firmware in it, just the display in the menu is wrong.

The green LED only flashes when a bound Rx is powered on, I just checked with mine.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
lancaster

Post by lancaster »

Mike
Thanks for the rapid reply and excellent advice (11:16 on Sunday night!)
I can now carry on with testing
You keep the hobby going
many thanks
regards
Hans
budavaril

Post by budavaril »

I just received my R9M with EU FW. I see now exist the "flex" FW and supports to use the telemetry on all power levels (include the 100mW-1W auto) and can using EU or AU frequencies (868MHz or 915MHz)
Shall I flash it ? Will it working with b226 b6 both frequency and power selection in the menu?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

At present I haven't tried the flex firmware and so haven't added support for it in ersky9x.
I will look into this when I get time.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
budavaril

Post by budavaril »

Thanks Mike.
To be honest I'm confused a bit about how it works, because I see in Open TX coming up the new option "WORK BAND" in the menu, so we can choosing 868MHz or 915MHz from the software menu.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-SESdu-qQM

But how the RX follow that? If I change the frequency band, the RX always watching both frequencies (the full spectrum) and will follow the TX, or Should (re)bind again and under binding procedure will selected between the 2 bands and after watching just one of them?

I flashed both the R9M and the R9MM with the latest Flex FW. Now I got telemetry in all power level and all countries.
If I select Country :AME where is 4 level available, I realized the speaker interference give me the "nice" feedback. (may not nice, just temporary useful) So if I select the different levels in the menu I can hearing the noise increase same as the TX increase the power.
If I adjust to 1000mW, I can hearing the power automatically decrease same than 10mW but if I cut the power of the RX and the RSSI falling down, the TX increase the maximum 1W output.
I don't know with this FW (pb6r222) if I change to EU that also change the frequency band or not, but in both mode (actually 3 modes with JPN) connection stay stable, so if the frequency was changed the RX also fallowed that.

Another what I just recognized from the "interference feedback",
AME 10mW = EU 25mW (8ch)
AME 100mW = EU 25mW (16ch)
AME 500mW = EU 200mW (16ch)
AME 1000mW = EU 500mW (16ch) (variable power 10-1000mW)
lancaster

Post by lancaster »

Hi Mike
Just doing a bit more testing on the R9M and R9MM RX with the 9Xtreme (r222c2).

I have found that with XJT protocol, I can get 16 channels at all power settings (unexpected ) but telemetry only at 25mw when bind is set to chans 1-8.
Also I am able to select power levels of 200 and 500 in this mode - is the module actually responding with these power settings?

With PPM, I am getting 16 channels at all power levels (25, 200 & 500 also unexpected) but no telemetry.

Is this response in line with your thinking?

regards
Hans
budavaril

Re: RE: Re: Frsky R9M

Post by budavaril »

lancaster wrote:Hi Mike
Just doing a bit more testing on the R9M and R9MM RX with the 9Xtreme (r222c2).

I have found that with XJT protocol, I can get 16 channels at all power settings (unexpected ) but telemetry only at 25mw when bind is set to chans 1-8.
Also I am able to select power levels of 200 and 500 in this mode - is the module actually responding with these power settings?

With PPM, I am getting 16 channels at all power levels (25, 200 & 500 also unexpected) but no telemetry.

Is this response in line with your thinking?

regards
Hans
Until you have EU LBT firmware on your TX/RX, you have no telemetry except on 25mW. If you change the firmware to "flex" after you have telemetry on all power levels.
Mike promised will updading R9M flex menu/functions if he has time..
lancaster

Post by lancaster »

hi budavaril
I'm using the latest EU firmware on the TX/RX but telemetry is only on 25mw
regards
Hans
budavaril

Re: RE: Re: Frsky R9M

Post by budavaril »

lancaster wrote:hi budavaril
I'm using the latest EU firmware on the TX/RX but telemetry is only on 25mw
regards
Hans
Yeah. Unfortunately in latest EU firmware have this limit, but luckily there is the solution already: the "flex firmware" from Frsky website.
They putted separate from the "normal" EU and FCC firmwares, so if in the "downloads" there is 4 options:
-Manual
-Firmware
-F.port protocol firmware
and the 4th at the bottom you will find
-Flex firmware.

The one problem at the moment if you flashing that FW., I don't know will working on 915 – 928MHz or 860 – 873MHz band, because that normally should be selectable from the (protocol) menu, but this function not implemented yet in ersky9x.

Couple of post earlier in this topic I linked a video what I found on Youtube and there shows how working under OpenTX.
I also wrote my experiences what I found out until now..

I believe we need just a little patience and filally we will enjoy a very professional long range system what's will be enough widely adjustable for us, from home indoor use to long range flying.

Return to “ersky9xr”