Wierd issue with right gimbal

Hardware Support for the 9XR Pro
jtroutt19

Wierd issue with right gimbal

Post by jtroutt19 »

So I decided to fly my 250 around my house tonight and here is what I got going on. I've done calibration in the radio and Ive also done the calibration in my flight controller. Anyway the gimbal acts like its dead until I hit about 25% stick movement in any direction. Almost like its got expo setup on it but there is none. The radio shows full stick movement and the increments are nice and smooth.

edelsailor

Re: RE: Wierd issue with right gimbal

Post by edelsailor »

jtroutt19 wrote:So I decided to fly my 250 around my house tonight and here is what I got going on. I've done calibration in the radio and Ive also done the calibration in my flight controller. Anyway the gimbal acts like its dead until I hit about 25% stick movement in any direction. Almost like its got expo setup on it but there is none. The radio shows full stick movement and the increments are nice and smooth.
Though there may be other possibilities, it likely that the potentiometer(s) are failing.

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk
jtroutt19

Re: Wierd issue with right gimbal

Post by jtroutt19 »

I just bought the damn thing...literally just received it today.....lol
jtroutt19

Post by jtroutt19 »

here is a video VIDEO
edelsailor

Post by edelsailor »

It is only a possibility. The same happened to my 9xrPro. I disassembled it to confirm the potentiometer failure. I am working on a kit for this repair, but want to test it completely before I put it forward.

edelsailor

Post by edelsailor »

Just saw the video. Did you do the calibration routine correctly?

jtroutt19

Post by jtroutt19 »

I've opened it up and ohmed the pots on that gimbal they definitely give different values than the ones on the left. And yes I did the calibration
edelsailor

Post by edelsailor »

Ohm the pots wilst moving them with the sticks? If I remember correctly, these are 5k pots, 80 degree of swing.

jtroutt19

Post by jtroutt19 »

Yip I have the pitch gimbal seems alright. its just the roll gimbal. It also responds better if i go to the right with it and requires much more movement to go to the right before I see movement in my quad
edelsailor

Post by edelsailor »

So, just to be sure. Ha e you flown the quad with another tx? Want to eliminate the possibility that there may be servo problems or binding linkage.

jtroutt19

Post by jtroutt19 »

oh yeah. I have a regular 9x that functions just fine
edelsailor

Re: RE: Re: Wierd issue with right gimbal

Post by edelsailor »

jtroutt19 wrote:oh yeah. I have a regular 9x that functions just fine
The bad news. Hobby King is out of stock on those replacement gimbals (three months ago). My local hobby store gave me a good deal his last Spektrum Dx7. But it does not have the programming capabilities or model versatility the 9xrPro has. I will update you when I get my 9xrPro working with the repair/upgrade to its gimbals. Hobby King does have a 3 axis gimbal for the right side.

jtroutt19

Post by jtroutt19 »

Well. I just spoke with hobbyking (livechat) they are sending me a new one. I dont even have to ship this one back to them!! woohoo.
But I read that people put the aurora 9 gimbals in this thing. I will prolly end up doing that. I really like this radio. Couldn't ask for more. I have taken a vow to never use a spektrum radio. I have a buddy that that is all he will use. We fight all the time about whos radio is better. and even though my old 9x could do much more than his spektrum he still would tell me the spektrum was better. Even when I popped a spektrum module into the back of the 9x and bound to his planes while he was using the bathroom....so yeah.
edelsailor

Post by edelsailor »

Aurora 9 gimbals? I will have to check that out. I don't understand why Turnigy had to go cheap on the gimbals. The mold/casting has provision for 4 bearing support of the trunnion. This why the pots fail so quickly. Good luck with your replacement.

jtroutt19

Post by jtroutt19 »

yip it will buy me some time till next check and i order the new gimbals. Its kinda nice that im gonna have 2 of these radios for the price of one.
edelsailor

Post by edelsailor »

Lol...you have a backup board now, so now you can get crazy with mods to one of them. Looks like Hitech may be the only source for those replacement gimbals. Let me know if you find another. Robotshop.com prices them at $20 but are out of stock.

edelsailor

Re: RE: Re: Wierd issue with right gimbal

Post by edelsailor »

edelsailor wrote:Lol...you have a backup board now, so now you can get crazy with mods to one of them. Looks like Hitech may be the only source for those replacement gimbals. Let me know if you find another. Robotshop.com prices them at $20 but are out of stock.

I wonder if this will work with the 9xrPro board/electronics?

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php

ReSt

Post by ReSt »

Are you sure the pot is not moving when you move the stick?

Reinhard
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Wait there a second. You still didn't confirm that the pot is broken. Normally broken pots don't reduce the travel on both sides as far as I know..
So, do a stick calibration again.
Then go to Radio Setup / DiagAna menu, move the stick and check what numbers you see on the corresponding analog input when the stick is to either side and at center. Please post them here.

Then go to the main screen that has some bars that move when you move the sticks. Does the bar on the roll channel also show reduced throw?
This should help us find the problem.

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

João has a very good point.
It sounds like your re-calibration did not complete correctly.
Could it be that the ESC's calibration did not take or were not done correctly.
There has to be calibration between the ESC's and your 9XR-pro radio Gimbal pots.
The Gimbals out put values, are different between a 9x radio and the Spectrum radio pots.

Bob B.
Last edited by bob195558 on Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

The 9x and 9xr and 9xr-pro Gimbals pots are very poorly made and you should not push them around when you
have your 9xr-pro open up, as this will change there calibration (to fix would need to re-calibrate radio).
Some people have manage to change to Taranis Gimbals in there 9xr-pro radio.
I do not have a 9xr-pro radio, so I have not done this mod my self.

Bob B.
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

jtroutt19 wrote: I've done calibration in the radio and I've also done the calibration in my flight controller. Anyway the Gimbal acts like its dead until I hit about 25% stick movement in any direction. Almost like its got expo setup on it but there is none. The radio shows full stick movement and the increments are nice and smooth.
Your description of your problem sounds like there maybe incorrect calibration between the 250 ESC's and your 9XR-pro radio Gimbals pots.

Bob B.
jtroutt19

Post by jtroutt19 »

Alright well I re calibrated this morning one more time. here is what i get on the anadiag screen. push stick all the way right and up 98 right, and middle 97.3, right and down 97.2, then all the way left and up 94 ,left and middle 100, left and down 100. I recalibrated my inputs through my gcs and the roll channel has a lower neutral of about 50 points. I can always take the pots out of my 9x......

what exactly do you mean by esc and gimbals not calibrated properly. The fc send all data to esc so as long as fc is calibrated to new radio then I shouldn't have any issue right?

Also I have physically went in and ohmed the pots. the pots in the right side gimbal give different values than the pots on the left side.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I don't think you understood what I meant. Go to the DiagAna screen. You have problems with the right horizontal stick, right?
Now see the attached picture. The 4th line reopesents the right horizontal stick (RH). Please post the values from that line with the stick at center, fully right and fully left.

JoãoImage

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
jtroutt19

Post by jtroutt19 »

right ok its that screen. I was getting values of 92-97 at full left 0 at center and 84-90 at full right. I have been tinkering with it this morning. I took the gimbal apart and opened the pot. There was a pin of the wiper that was not bent out as far so I bent it out to match the others and clean the whole thing with alcohol. now its reading 100 0 100
jtroutt19

Post by jtroutt19 »

I am still having the issue with my quad. throttle and yaw are really sensitive but the roll and pitch the value of stick movement are around 30 before I see a reaction out of the quad
jtroutt19

Post by jtroutt19 »

Update! So I decided to test the radio on my big quad and guess what. No issues with roll......very responsive. I am going to go back through the setup on my little quad and see what happens.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Well done ;) :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
jtroutt19

Post by jtroutt19 »

Well no problems now. Weird thing is, I have the exact same values for input that I did before I reset everything?? But hey glad it is working. So question is should I tell hobbyking that I don't need the radio or just keep it since they already sent it too me. I sent them that video I posted last night and the woman I was live chatting with said the warranty department verified that the radio was defective......
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Well, the pot was damaged. You fixed it but you don't know how long it will last..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:

Return to “Turnigy 9XR PRO radio”