Multirotor Mix for Spektrum Satellite using MultiWii?

Hardware Support for the 9XR Pro
humblehacker

Multirotor Mix for Spektrum Satellite using MultiWii?

Post by humblehacker »

Hello All,
I have only had my 9xr-Pro for about a week and my only previous experience involved OpenTX (albeit in a very simplified form...) so I'm a little lost when it comes to ErSKY9x... Before I feel comfortable enough to start flying my full-size quad, I've been practicing on the "HK Pocketquad" which uses MultiWii 2.2. Oddly enough, there seems to be a good deal of documentation from people using a 9xR/9xrPro with the Pocketquad as at the following example- http://interestingrc.blogspot.com.au/20 ... bling.html

The Pocketquad uses a Spektrum Satellite as its RX and I was able to bind through my OrangeRX Switchable 2.4gz module relatively easily and I have it set to the AETR mode.
However, I can tell something is going awry in the channel mix when I connect to the MultiWii WinGUI. The WINGUI should show the first four inputs engaged to exactly halfway on the graph, or 1500ms. Instead this is what I get-

I had the default settings mapped on my TX meaning Ch.1=Ail, Ch.2=Ele, Ch.3=THR, Ch.4=Rud while I had Ch.5 mapped to the GEAR switch for arming. I then made sure the endpoints were set and centred on 1500ms. So I have no idea why my controls are getting mapped as they are in the GUI.

When I try looking it up in the 9Xr manuals, almost all the examples are meant for fixed-wing models and the few that are meant for quadrotors are either very vague or simply recommend using the "Acro" setting for which no such menu option is immediately apparent...

I'm guessing its a very simple answer that I'm overlooking but could somebody help give me some pointers?
Attachments
9xrprorange.png

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Multirotor Mix for Spektrum Satellite using MultiWii?

Post by MikeB »

First check on the 'PRO, use the up/down buttons to get the main display that shows horizontal bars for the channel outputs. Do these bars move correctly when you move the sticks? They should have nothing showing when centered, and appear, getting longer either side with stick movement.

The er9x manual here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6473, should prove useful. While ersky9x is a bit differerent (more capable), much of the manual is applicable.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
humblehacker

Post by humblehacker »

Thank you for your reply! I forgot to mention that the stick movements are showing up in the MultiWii GUI. Only not in the channels they are supposed to be mapped to...

RE- The 9XR display- The stick movements show up on the menu with the horizontal bars, only all of them, including AIL and ELE, appear on the left hand side only. Nothing at all on the right side. Is this how its supposed to be?
Oddly, in the next menu where the sticks are represented by two square graphics, the movements are reflected on both sides as expected...

Does that provide any more clues?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Spektrum expects TAER ordering, edit the radio's mixes accordingly.

The bars are normal, left side is channels 1-4 and the right ones are 5-8.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

humblehacker wrote:
RE- The 9XR display- The stick movements show up on the menu with the horizontal bars, only all of them, including AIL and ELE, appear on the left hand side only. Nothing at all on the right side. Is this how its supposed to be?
Yes, this screen shows the output channels. The signal just before to be sent to the RF module. Channel 1 is at the top left, channel 2 under it, etc. Channels 1 to 4 on the left and ch 5 to 8 on the right.

Oddly, in the next menu where the sticks are represented by two square graphics, the movements are reflected on both sides as expected...
Exactly, this screen shows the inputs. Sticks and switches.
You have to check which channel order you have on the radio and which channel order the multiwii code is expecting. It's been a while since I last played with multiwii.. I have a nearly 5 year old tricopter and it flies good with an old version of the code, so I never bothered updating. I don't use ACC or GPS, and also do not FPV, so a basic setup with an old wii motion plus is enough for me ;)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

humblehacker

Post by humblehacker »

Thank you for the info. I'm guessing it has something to do with how the Spektrum Satellite is set up in the specific version of MultiWii I am using for the Pocketquad. In case others are interested, I posted a new question on the pocketquad forum at- http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... st32170831. I'll report back if I find a solution as well.
humblehacker

Post by humblehacker »

Per a suggestion from a user on the rcgroups thread- http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... 6&page=317 I discovered the problem was rooted in having the wrong setting for 1024/2048 in config.h. Easily corrected by searching the numbers in finder and commenting out whichever one I had it set to while uncommenting the other.

So I'm finally able to arm and connect to the motors! Now I just need to replace the enormous Spek.Sat cable I"ve been using (since the factory default cable was junk) and I should have a nice little companion for my Crazyflie Nanoquad... :D

Return to “Turnigy 9XR PRO radio”