9xr pro & OrangeRX rx/tx modules & telemetry

Hardware Support for the 9XR Pro
MartijnD

Post by MartijnD »

Hello All,

Hello I am Martijn from Holland. I am pretty new in the world of RC. Last year I build a 3D printer to print parts for my future projects. My next project is going to be a quadcopter.

For the remote control of the quadcopter I bought my self a 9xr Pro from HK and the tx+rx openlrs modules from OrangeRX. first I want it al to work together with a ArduPilot. But I don't now where to begin.

I have experience with:
- C++ programming
- Arduino programming/compiling/uploading
- (a bit more than) basic electronics
- soldering etc

I have a couple of questions because I'm a bit lost in the maze of information and tools.

First I want to focus on the TX hardware/firmware I think my firmware choice is going to be OpenTX because the community is big and has a active development. is this a right choice if I want to tweak/modify it in the future to make it confirm my needs more ;) . I have no clue if its necessary but I want to keep that option open.

The If I want to enable telemetry on the with the OrangeRX_TX module do I need to make this addition: PDF to make it work with the 9xr PRO? I ask this because I read somewhere it should work out of the box. But I cant find it any more ;) and I'm not able yet to test this.

The OrangeRX_RX module and the ardupilot are still on there way from china to Europe. So there will be more questions in the future I think ;)

Thanks

jhsa

Re: 9xr pro & OrangeRX rx/tx modules & telemetry

Post by jhsa »

As far as I know the Orange module HK sells has no telemetry. Unless they released one that supports it and I don't know about :)

About the firmware, have a look at the one that comes with the radio, but of course update it to a recent version as many features were added recently.
Then try also openTX, and then decide which to use.
I personally use ersky9x..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The 9XR-PRO comes with ersky9x firmware on it, and this is also in active development. Ersky9x also runs on the Taranis.

Unless you want something VERY specific, both ersky9x and openTx are very flexible and powerful. You may not need to do any changes.

The hardware mod is to use one of the pins of the module connector for the telemetry data. The 9XR-PRO also supports serial data on one of the pins of the Futaba trainer connector, a cable for this connection is available.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
MartijnD

Post by MartijnD »

Hello Guys,

Thanks for the fast answers! The ersky9x firmware (google code) on the downloads page displays a date of 2012 so I thought it was a discontinued project. Now I know better ;) didn't searched further it is stored in the source section. I already overviewed the code once and found it better to read then OpenXT so maybe I'll review my opinion.

About that futaba port I don't like to see cables at the outside so I think I can make it inside the 9rx-pro. Is it right that I only need to make the following connections GND > GND and the TX > RX from the futaba port > OrangeRX_TX?

Thanks for so far! Martijn
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Both OpenTX and Ersky9x are under active development and provide similar levels of flexibility and power in programming.

I would, however, recommend staying with Ersky9x, the firmware specifically designed for the 9XR Pro. Most of the the discussion of Open9x relates to the Taranis, not the 9XR Pro.

Moreover, the manuals for Ersky9x are much easier to find and use. (I have to admit bias here, having been involved.) Just go to the ersky9xr forum and look for the manuals item.
viewtopic.php?f=123&t=5581

As for Spektrum-compatible telemetry with the 9XR Pro, it's expected that there will be a new DSMX module from HobbyKing soon that will support telemetry units from Orange and Lemon. This will be supported by Ersky9x on the 9XR Pro.

MartijnD

Post by MartijnD »

OK the firmware I is clear to me now. Thanks for that one!

Now the back to the OrangeRX

I fount these 2 posts:
- viewtopic.php?f=122&t=5659&p=84851#p84851
- viewtopic.php?f=122&t=5659&p=84851#p86087
this guy explained hist steps in the seccond post. but in his first post he talked about the the com2 mod witch I found in the drawing from SkyNorth [ link ] to me it is not clear if this mod is necessary. Can any of you help me out?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Com1 is internal on the bottom pin of the module connector, Com2 is connected to the Futaba socket.
If you add the wire to your Tx module, then you can use Com1.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MartijnD

Post by MartijnD »

Thank you!
Hope I can test it soon the rest of the parts are on their way.
rubenverhoef

Post by rubenverhoef »

Hi,

Will the 9xr Pro work with telemetery (Mavlink) with the OrangeRX module?

I will use the 9xr pro with telemetry data from the OrangeRX and send the Telemetry (mavlink) data from the OrangeRX (ftdi or BT) to an android device or GCS.
samys13

Post by samys13 »

hi everyone. my name is sam and i would like to knwo if someone can explain me how to make working telemetry with my 9xr pro and orangerx open lrs TX and RX please? i'm searching since many months but i think maybe forget or don't understand something lol.
i still have ersky9x firmware on my 9xr pro, tried many wiring with com1 and com2 but still no telemetry.
can someone help me please?
thanx
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

What telemetry data are you sending over the orange open lrs datalink?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
samys13

Re: RE: Re: 9xr pro & OrangeRX rx/tx modules & telemetry

Post by samys13 »

MikeB wrote:What telemetry data are you sending over the orange open lrs datalink?

Mike.
Hi mike. I send mavlink data with my apm

Envoyé de mon GT-I8190 en utilisant Tapatalk
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

At the moment ersky9x doesn't support native MavLink telemetry data. I've just added support for MavLink over FrSky, by using an Arduino to convert between them.
From that Arduino code I will be adding native Mavlink support to ersky9x.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
samys13

Re: RE: Re: 9xr pro & OrangeRX rx/tx modules & telemetry

Post by samys13 »

MikeB wrote:At the moment ersky9x doesn't support native MavLink telemetry data. I've just added support for MavLink over FrSky, by using an Arduino to convert between them.

Mike.
Ok thank you for your support but can you tell me if i can only have rssi and tssi level on the 9xr pro?

Envoyé de mon GT-I8190 en utilisant Tapatalk
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'm not familiar with this module so I'm not sure exactly what it gives or how it connects.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
pyr8

Post by pyr8 »

MikeB wrote:At the moment ersky9x doesn't support native MavLink telemetry data. I've just added support for MavLink over FrSky, by using an Arduino to convert between them.

Mike.
Mike, are you saying that you are working on having the 9XR-PRO natively support MAVLINK data?

I just upgraded from the 9XR to the PRO and now I have no MAVLINK telem support at all. To top it off, I sold my 9XR before testing the 9XR-PRO for compatibility and just assumed it would work. :oops: :x
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I am looking in to MavLink for ersky9x. I've never used MavLink myself, so I could never test anything. Recently I was given a APM controller (by LTMNO) so I could add and test MavLink.

Exactly what firmware were you using on the 9XR to give you support for MavLink?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
pyr8

Post by pyr8 »

Modified 9XR (to allow receiving of Mavlink data) with OpenTX firmware, APM with OrangeRX TX & RX (Modified TX).

These two links are a good place to start.

http://goo.gl/JFZLrm
http://goo.gl/3pbQEu
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I thought openTx supported MavLink on all platforms, but it seems it only has it for the 9X/9XR. For ARM processors, it relies on either a Teensy or an Arduino to convert the telemetry data on the receiver.

I'll see how soon I might be able to get native MavLink support into ersky9x.
At what baudrate does the orange open lrs send the telemetry?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
pyr8

Post by pyr8 »

MikeB wrote:I thought openTx supported MavLink on all platforms, but it seems it only has it for the 9X/9XR. For ARM processors, it relies on either a Teensy or an Arduino to convert the telemetry data on the receiver.

I'll see how soon I might be able to get native MavLink support into ersky9x.
At what baudrate does the orange open lrs send the telemetry?

Mike.
19200 "I believe". Best thing is to check the links I provided. I haven't played with it since September, so I don't recall and my gear is in pieces at the moment.

As far as the ersky9x, if you get Mavlink working, will it port over to the 9XRPro?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Yes it should be available on all platforms.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
samys13

Post by samys13 »

Return to “Turnigy 9XR PRO radio”